DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Mel Brooks Collection Inc. RHMIT 4/4

Old 04-04-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You guy's aren't helping me any. i'm trying to hold out on this for individual releases and i'm starting to crumble on the first day. Plus I already have Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles better versions so I could easily slip the better versions into this set to replace with the lesser versions. Now i'm really starting to crumble.

Last edited by JOE29; 04-04-06 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-04-06, 03:50 PM

Interesting... It's not just the YF discs, it's also the insert and case being very different too...

I think the question is not "Is YF anamorphic" but "why and how did this happen?"
Old 04-04-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Davy Mack
Interesting... It's not just the YF discs, it's also the insert and case being very different too...

I think the question is not "Is YF anamorphic" but "why and how did this happen?"
That top picture is not from the current set. That picture is from the original release. If the disc in the current set matches that old plain disc you know you got screwed. However, all I found in stores today was the yellow spine with the new version of Young Frankenstein.
Old 04-04-06, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JOE29
You guy's aren't helping me any. i'm trying to hold out on this for individual releases and i'm starting to crumble on the first day. Plus I already have Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles better versions so I could easily slip the better versions into this set to replace with the lesser versions. Now i'm really starting to crumble.
Well, actually only Blazing Saddles has a better version outside of this set. The version of Young Frankenstein in the set (the new disc with yellow lettering on the spine) is the only anamorphic version ever released. I honestly don't see how anyone can pass up the set for $70 even if you already have blazing saddles and I think keeping both versions of that is worthwhile since the old version has the original mono soundtrack.
Old 04-04-06, 06:51 PM

Hi, I'm looking into getting this set but was going to ask your opinions first.
I was thinking of picking this up but I have not heard(or seen) of any of these movies other than Robin Hood MiT's, and Blazing Saddles. I thought blazing saddle's was funny,but can be bought sepratly, And robin hood MIT I thought was pure genious and is the reason I'd really want to get this set. I read dvdtalks review and still cannot decide if it would be something I'd like. I enjoyerd all of the three movies Mel Brooks made that I have seen: Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, and Robin Hood, But they also seem to be some of his most popular.I like alot of comedies like Dumb and Dumber,Road Trip, Harold and Kumar, and the mel brooks movies I mentioned earlier.Do you think I would like the other movies on this set? Any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 04-04-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Y2J850
I was thinking of picking this up but I have not heard(or seen) of any of these movies other than Robin Hood MiT's, and Blazing Saddles. I thought blazing saddle's was funny,but can be bought sepratly, And robin hood MIT I thought was pure genious and is the reason I'd really want to get this set. I read dvdtalks review and still cannot decide if it would be something I'd like. I enjoyerd all of the three movies Mel Brooks made that I have seen: Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, and Robin Hood, But they also seem to be some of his most popular.I like alot of comedies like Dumb and Dumber,Road Trip, Harold and Kumar, and the mel brooks movies I mentioned earlier.Do you think I would like the other movies on this set? Any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Well imo, Young Frankenstein, History of the World, and Blazing Saddles are the 3 single greatest comedys ever made. Obviously thats just my opinion, and its highly subjective, but this was an absolute must have for me. I have only watched History so far and it looks really good, and only a brief shot of YF to make sure I got the anamorphic copy, but what I saw looked good. That all being said, I dont know if I would spend this much money not having seen some of his other movies, because it might not be your cup of tea. Rent some of the others first I would say.
Old 04-04-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Y2J850
I personally don't have any use for any of his movies after Silent Movie... but anamorphic Twelve Chairs & Young Frankenstein make it a must-buy. If you like RH:MIT, I'm sure you'll love this set.. after TBONTB, that's probably the weakest title here IMO.
Old 04-04-06, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Robin Hood, but I agree it leans more towards the Zucker type comedy. A lot of gags and not much story. I prefer the type of parody he did in Blazing Saddles and frankly Young Frankenstein is one of the greatest comedies ever made. If you like Robin Hood I think you will like the set because History of the World is fairly close in style with more gags, but honestly the movies most like Robin Hood are Spaceballs and Dracula Dead and Loving it and they are not in the set.
Old 04-04-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Any word on individual releases? I already have Blazing Saddles so I'm really only interested in picking up the anamorphic Young Frankenstein (and maybe History of the Worl Pt. 1 if the bug bites me).
Old 04-04-06, 09:47 PM

Heads up...several posters at HTF have reported getting the non-anamorphic YF in the "yellow" spine. That rule of thumb doesn't appear to be holding.
Old 04-04-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Paul Drake
Heads up...several posters at HTF have reported getting the non-anamorphic YF in the "yellow" spine. That rule of thumb doesn't appear to be holding.
The plot thickens.

Last edited by gryffinmaster; 04-04-06 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-04-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn....I was really hoping that would be the distinguishing factor for people.
Old 04-05-06, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, that really sucks... I got lucky then, my "yellow spine" is a good one. I can just picture the hassle of returning the box to Best Buy... "What's anamorphic?"
Old 04-05-06, 12:13 AM

Anamorphic - AKA: Enhanced for Widescreen (16:9) TVs
Old 04-05-06, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pete1974
Anamorphic - AKA: Enhanced for Widescreen (16:9) TVs
Now try explaining it to Customer Services LOL.
Old 04-05-06, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know if it makes a difference, but My copy of YF was in SHrink Wrap inside the box. It had the yellow spine, and it's the anamorphic disc.

None of the other cases were shrink wrapped...
Old 04-05-06, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My copy had the yellow cover and was anamorphic. Really sloppy of Fox to mix in the old discs though.

Last edited by darkside; 04-05-06 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-05-06, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine is yellow, anamorphic, and no shrink wrap insided the box, ...Biggest cluster fuck of the year.
Old 04-05-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow, this latest twist just reinforces my decision to skip this release for now.
Old 04-05-06, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really want to buy this, but I'm extremely scared of getting screwed on YF...and knowing my luck, I probably WILL get screwed... can't decide what to do...

MATT
Old 04-05-06, 02:21 PM

I just want to hear the explanation. If it was just non-annie, would've been a screwup. But some annie, some not, some yellow, some white is REALLY bizarre. And if they DID decide to dump the old discs this way, that's pretty f'd up.
Old 04-05-06, 02:34 PM

If you got the set, maybe if people list their info on YF it would help. Maybe only costco is getting non anamorphic yellow spine ones. So far the differences are:

Yellow Lettering/White Lettering
Individual Shrink Wrap/ No Individual Shrink Wrap
Store Bought
Anamorphic/ Non Anamorphic

Mine is:
Yellow Lettering
No Individual Shrink Wrap
Best Buy
I'm too scared to open it to find out.
Old 04-05-06, 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Davy Mack
Well, the film was shot in fullscreen, and the actual intended aspect ratio is 1.37:1. The 1.85:1 aspect ratio is just the way it was shown theatrically - the DVDs SHOULD contain the original fullscreen version.

http://www.imdb.com/SearchRatios?1.3...ended%20ratio)
Old 04-05-06, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unfortunately, I can confirm the "Costco" problem:

Yellow Lettering
No Individual Shrink Wrap
Costco (Eugene, OR)
Non Anamorphic (no artwork on disc -- VOBs all 10/9/1998)

I went back to the store...gave the customer service desk a quick tutorial on "anamorphic"... and they brought up three more copies of the box set (each from a different packing box)...every single one had the no-artwork, “letterboxed” YF disc.

While I thought the class action suit against MGM Home Entertainment's "letterboxed" packaging was idiotic, I'll be happy to add my name when one is filed against Fox over this.

Last edited by RevKarl; 04-05-06 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-05-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i got the anamorphic disc at Best buy. Yellow letters, no shrinkwrap on YF.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.