Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ghostbusters has a street date!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I wouldn't mind having that horrible Ray Parker Jr video as a bonus too.
The video/song is tops Pure 80's in a glass
Old 05-18-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
MSRP is only $19.95? That means it'll be $15 in stores probably and that's a damn good price for two flicks and a couple of episodes. Might just get it.
Two episodes of the cartoon doesn't do anything for me, but for that price, I'll just sell my old ones to get the remastered Anamorphic transfer.
Old 05-19-05, 02:21 PM
Cool New Member

Special thanks goes to Troy over at GBHQ for this...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Fire Up The Ecto-1 and Dust Off Your Proton Packs…
’Cuz The Boys Are Back on DVD!

GHOSTBUSTERS GIFT SET

Two-Disc DVD Gift Set
Materializes on August 2, 2005
With Remastered Video, A Collectible Scrapbook
And Two Episodes from the Animated TV Series

Culver City, CA (May 17, 2005) – First bursting upon theater screens in 1984, GHOSTBUSTERS brought audiences a new kind of entertainment, combining the hip, edgy comedy of ex-Saturday Night Live stars and Oscar® nominees Bill Murray (Lost in Translation, Groundhog Day) and Dan Aykroyd (Pearl Harbor, 50 First Dates), and Second City TV alum Harold Ramis (co-writer of National Lampoon’s Animal House and the director of Caddyshack) with state-of-the-art, Academy-Award™ nominated visual effects from Richard Edlund (winner for The Star Wars Trilogy and Raiders Of The Lost Ark). GHOSTBUSTERS quickly became more than a worldwide crowd pleaser; it transformed into a genuine cultural phenomenon faster than you can say “He slimed me!” Directed by Ivan Reitman (Stripes), GHOSTBUSTERS was the first comedy to gross over $200 million dollars.

In 1989, Drs. Peter Venkman (Murray), Raymond Stantz (Aykroyd) and Egon Spengler (Ramis) returned in the blockbuster follow-up GHOSTBUSTERS 2. Once again helmed by Ivan Reitman, GHOSTBUSTERS 2 brought back the entire cast – including the ecto-plagued Dana Barrett (Oscar® nominee Sigourney Weaver), the fourth Ghostbuster Winston Zeddemore (Ernie Hudson) the hapless Louis Tully (Rick Moranis) and deadpan secretary Janine Melnitz (Annie Potts) – to battle the villainous spirit Vigo and his possessed henchman Dr. Janosz Poha (Emmy winner Peter MacNicol) for the Big Apple itself! All the thrills, chills and – most importantly – laughs of these two genre-bending classics return as Sony Pictures Home Entertainment proudly announces the very special GHOSTBUSTERS GIFT SET, premiering on DVD August 2, 2005. On the same day, GHOSTBUSTERS will also be available on the Universal Media Disc (UMD™) format that plays on the new PSP™ (Playstation Portable) handheld entertainment system. SLP for the UMD is $11.59.

The two-disc GHOSTBUSTERS GIFT SET presents both groundbreaking comedies with newly remastered video, along with a collectible scrapbook created especially for this edition, audio commentary with Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis and Joe Medjuck, three featurettes, deleted scenes, storyboards and two ectoplasmic episodes from the hilarious 1988 animated television series “Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters,” all for the very earthly price of $19.94 SLP.

While audiences worldwide were humming along with Ray Parker, Jr’s catchy GHOSTBUSTERS theme song, the first film also garnered tremendous critical acclaim including two Oscar® nominations for Best Visual Effects and Best Song, three Golden Globe nominations for Best Song, Best Performance by an Actor – Comedy/Musical (Bill Murray) and Best Motion Picture – Comedy/Musical, winning a British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Award for Best Song and the 1985 Saturn Award for Best Fantasy Film from the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films.

Synopses
GHOSTBUSTERS
A trio of university parapsychologists lose their research grant and decide to open their own business, GHOSTBUSTERS. Almost at once, they are summoned to investigate the strange happenings in a Central Park West apartment. What they discover is that all Manhattan is being besieged by other worldly demons!

GHOSTBUSTERS 2
Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis take up their proton packs once more to battle the forces of evil in Manhattan! After waging a war on slime that cost New York City millions, the Ghostbusters find themselves out of business—until an ancient tyrant, preparing a return to the Earthly domain through his portrait at the Manhattan Museum of Art, sets his sights on Dana Barrett’s baby as the new home for his wicked soul! With the help of the Museum’s possessed curator, he plans to turn New York into a really scary place to live! Now only the Ghostbusters can save New York City, by turning paranormal pest control into an art form!

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
ß Two-Disc DVD set containing Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2
ß Audio Commentary with Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis and Joe Medjuck
ß Deleted Scenes
ß 3 Featurettes
ß Multi-Angle features
ß Storyboards
ß Collectible scrapbook
ß 2 animated Ghostbusters episodes
ß Remastered Video
ß Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1
ß Subtitles: English

Years of Theatrical Release: 1984 & 1989
Rated: PG
Color / Closed Captioned
Running Time: 105 Minutes / 108 Minutes
DVD Catalog # 05160 / DVD UPC Code: 0-43396-05160-7
DVD Order Date: 6/30/05
DVD SLP: $19.94
UMD Catalog #: 11796/ UMD UPC Code: 0-43396-11796-9
UMD Order Date: 6/30/05
Old 05-19-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice. Quite a bargain as well.
Old 05-19-05, 03:19 PM

I wonder when they say deleted scenes and commentary if thats for both films. Still getting it regardless. I upgrade these movies every few years as they are my favorite movies of all time.
Old 05-19-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts
Will get this. Haven't picked up the 2nd one yet, and seeing a couple of the cartoons should be a kick.

Wouldn't have minded paying an xtra $10 for a three-disc set, a little more effort from Sony would've been nice, but atleast we're getting something.
Old 05-19-05, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I will get this set. Same thing as Artman, only have the 1st so no brainer for me.
Old 05-19-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would like to have this particular set in my collection, but I already have both films, and I'm not sure if a scrapbook and two episodes from The Real Ghostbusters are worth the double-dip.

New transfers are a plus, sure, but I saw nothing wrong with the previous transfers. Only problem with Ghostbusters II was the audio. Dialog was too low next to the music and sound effects, at least on my system. If a new transfer meant fixing that, I might think more seriously about this.

--THX
Old 05-19-05, 11:04 PM

I will upgrade since the set will include remastered video transfers and should be cheap release week.
Old 05-20-05, 09:27 AM
Banned

When the DVD is out, I'm hoping somebody would post screenshots of the orignal and the remastered transfer to compare, if there is a improvement in video, I would sell my orgignal and buy the new one. The 2 episodes of the cartoon is nice but where is the season sets???????????????
Old 05-20-05, 11:14 AM

The 2 episodes of the cartoon is nice but where is the season sets???????????????
The 64 thousand dollar question. WHAT THE HELL ARE THE TWO RGB EPISODES?????? They had better not be the fu*king Coulier years.
Old 05-20-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anything from the previous release that isn't carried over to this?
Old 05-20-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really a missed opportunity. If even the Bill and Ted movies can get a third disc of features (not to say that I'm not buying the Bill and Ted set, because I'm looking forward to that, too).... Also, with the two episodes of the Ghostbusters cartoon presumably on the first movie, and with all the special features from the first release, won't that be awfully stuffed? Damn you, Sony. Try harder.
Old 05-20-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
The 64 thousand dollar question. WHAT THE HELL ARE THE TWO RGB EPISODES?????? They had better not be the fu*king Coulier years.
Chill dude...until more infomation is released nobody knows....it's only two cartoon episodes..it doesn't REALLY matter..it's an added bonus and they could have easily not bothered at all..
Old 05-20-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Skoobooz

Really a missed opportunity. If even the Bill and Ted movies can get a third disc of features (not to say that I'm not buying the Bill and Ted set, because I'm looking forward to that, too).... Also, with the two episodes of the Ghostbusters cartoon presumably on the first movie, and with all the special features from the first release, won't that be awfully stuffed? Damn you, Sony. Try harder.
Agreed. I would have loved a third disc filled with new extras from both films, including the two episodes of The Real Ghostbusters. The Ghostbusters franchise certainly deserves it. Even with the added touches, this still doesn't seem like much more than a repackaging. Hard to shake the feeling that it's another example of the studio not having much pride in their product.

--THX
Old 05-20-05, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
Of course, they could "pull a Universal" and re-release the exact same discs with new video transfers.
If they really wanted to pull a Universal, the new release would have some new but leave off many of the features from the last disc so that you'll have to own both if you want them all.
Old 05-20-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just sold my DVDs together to buy the new set, sell them now to get more $$$
Old 05-20-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost

If the article posted by Ecto Freak is to be taken at its word, the episodes do appear to be from the Coulier years. It mentions specifically Slimer! And the Real Ghostbusters, and according to the IMDb, Dave Coulier is the only actor who voiced Peter Venkman in that series.

Lorenzo Music did Venkman for The Real Ghostbusters from 1986 to 1987. Coulier took over in 1987, carried through to the end of the show's run, then continued for the entire duration of Slimer! And the Real Ghostbusters (1988 - 1990), which was apparently kind of a spin-off that focused more on Slimer.

I remember when Venkman's voice changed for later episodes of the series, and I never liked it. I never adjusted to it. Music, who sadly passed away in 2001, was Venkman. Coulier felt like an imposter to me.

--THX
Old 05-20-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lordy--if they're just Slimer eps, I think I'll hold off on the purchase. I've already got the two prior releases.
Old 05-22-05, 08:40 AM

Chill dude...until more infomation is released nobody knows....it's only two cartoon episodes..it doesn't REALLY matter..it's an added bonus and they could have easily not bothered at all..
Ah yes, but they DO matter, for those of us who are RGB fans and have been waiting for RGB on DVD. Point taken, but if the 2 episodes are from the first season of RGB then it's a must-buy for me, and possibly a test for official DVD releases of RGB. If not, then I wouldn't consider buying it, as I have the 1999 disc, and it is good enough for me.
Old 05-24-05, 01:27 PM
Banned

Cover art now available

Originally Posted by Ecto Freak
Special thanks goes to Troy over at GBHQ for this...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Fire Up The Ecto-1 and Dust Off Your Proton Packs…
’Cuz The Boys Are Back on DVD!

GHOSTBUSTERS GIFT SET

Two-Disc DVD Gift Set
Materializes on August 2, 2005
With Remastered Video, A Collectible Scrapbook
And Two Episodes from the Animated TV Series

Culver City, CA (May 17, 2005) – First bursting upon theater screens in 1984, GHOSTBUSTERS brought audiences a new kind of entertainment, combining the hip, edgy comedy of ex-Saturday Night Live stars and Oscar® nominees Bill Murray (Lost in Translation, Groundhog Day) and Dan Aykroyd (Pearl Harbor, 50 First Dates), and Second City TV alum Harold Ramis (co-writer of National Lampoon’s Animal House and the director of Caddyshack) with state-of-the-art, Academy-Award™ nominated visual effects from Richard Edlund (winner for The Star Wars Trilogy and Raiders Of The Lost Ark). GHOSTBUSTERS quickly became more than a worldwide crowd pleaser; it transformed into a genuine cultural phenomenon faster than you can say “He slimed me!” Directed by Ivan Reitman (Stripes), GHOSTBUSTERS was the first comedy to gross over $200 million dollars.

In 1989, Drs. Peter Venkman (Murray), Raymond Stantz (Aykroyd) and Egon Spengler (Ramis) returned in the blockbuster follow-up GHOSTBUSTERS 2. Once again helmed by Ivan Reitman, GHOSTBUSTERS 2 brought back the entire cast – including the ecto-plagued Dana Barrett (Oscar® nominee Sigourney Weaver), the fourth Ghostbuster Winston Zeddemore (Ernie Hudson) the hapless Louis Tully (Rick Moranis) and deadpan secretary Janine Melnitz (Annie Potts) – to battle the villainous spirit Vigo and his possessed henchman Dr. Janosz Poha (Emmy winner Peter MacNicol) for the Big Apple itself! All the thrills, chills and – most importantly – laughs of these two genre-bending classics return as Sony Pictures Home Entertainment proudly announces the very special GHOSTBUSTERS GIFT SET, premiering on DVD August 2, 2005. On the same day, GHOSTBUSTERS will also be available on the Universal Media Disc (UMD™) format that plays on the new PSP™ (Playstation Portable) handheld entertainment system. SLP for the UMD is $11.59.

The two-disc GHOSTBUSTERS GIFT SET presents both groundbreaking comedies with newly remastered video, along with a collectible scrapbook created especially for this edition, audio commentary with Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis and Joe Medjuck, three featurettes, deleted scenes, storyboards and two ectoplasmic episodes from the hilarious 1988 animated television series “Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters,” all for the very earthly price of $19.94 SLP.

While audiences worldwide were humming along with Ray Parker, Jr’s catchy GHOSTBUSTERS theme song, the first film also garnered tremendous critical acclaim including two Oscar® nominations for Best Visual Effects and Best Song, three Golden Globe nominations for Best Song, Best Performance by an Actor – Comedy/Musical (Bill Murray) and Best Motion Picture – Comedy/Musical, winning a British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Award for Best Song and the 1985 Saturn Award for Best Fantasy Film from the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films.

Synopses
GHOSTBUSTERS
A trio of university parapsychologists lose their research grant and decide to open their own business, GHOSTBUSTERS. Almost at once, they are summoned to investigate the strange happenings in a Central Park West apartment. What they discover is that all Manhattan is being besieged by other worldly demons!

GHOSTBUSTERS 2
Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis take up their proton packs once more to battle the forces of evil in Manhattan! After waging a war on slime that cost New York City millions, the Ghostbusters find themselves out of business—until an ancient tyrant, preparing a return to the Earthly domain through his portrait at the Manhattan Museum of Art, sets his sights on Dana Barrett’s baby as the new home for his wicked soul! With the help of the Museum’s possessed curator, he plans to turn New York into a really scary place to live! Now only the Ghostbusters can save New York City, by turning paranormal pest control into an art form!

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
ß Two-Disc DVD set containing Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2
ß Audio Commentary with Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis and Joe Medjuck
ß Deleted Scenes
ß 3 Featurettes
ß Multi-Angle features
ß Storyboards
ß Collectible scrapbook
ß 2 animated Ghostbusters episodes
ß Remastered Video
ß Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1
ß Subtitles: English

Years of Theatrical Release: 1984 & 1989
Rated: PG
Color / Closed Captioned
Running Time: 105 Minutes / 108 Minutes
DVD Catalog # 05160 / DVD UPC Code: 0-43396-05160-7
DVD Order Date: 6/30/05
DVD SLP: $19.94
UMD Catalog #: 11796/ UMD UPC Code: 0-43396-11796-9
UMD Order Date: 6/30/05
Old 05-24-05, 01:43 PM

$13.91 Pre order at DDD.
Old 05-24-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Erik68
$13.91 Pre order at DDD.
Great price! I like the cover art. It is funky.
Old 05-24-05, 02:28 PM

nice price. might have to pick this up even though i already own the two. any special features not included on this one that are on the original release?
Old 05-24-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are these two separate cases inside a box, or is this a 2-disc amaray case inside a slipcover? Just wondering, as I'm more partial to the former arrangement, but will pick this up regardless.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.