DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

LOTR Extended Editions BOX?!!!!

Old 09-28-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I bought the Jersey Trilogy one. Pretty sweet. If you have money to spare I'd say go for it. Otherwise for the prices, I'd skip it, it is just a box.
And with clerks 2 on the way.. looks like the box may be a little to small.
Old 09-28-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For those of us who haven't bought either of them and are waiting to buy all 3 at the same time, we get a little extra for our long wait! Thank you Pete Jackson!!!
Old 09-29-04, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IT'S A BOX!!!1 It's not something _extra_ for your wait! Jesus Christ!
Old 09-29-04, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
ha. I have them. I wasn't dumb enough to wait it out. But I will gladly buy them again and sell them off brand new and get my money back and keep the box for myself. It really isn't that hard.
Old 09-29-04, 04:57 AM
Cool New Member

Is the box really that important? I rather display the 3 EEs separately, it looks better that way.
Old 09-29-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If "box sets" were actually sold with a piece of string tying all the DVDs together, do you think people would go all nuts about wanting just the string?
Old 09-29-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by duff beer
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For those of us who haven't bought either of them and are waiting to buy all 3 at the same time, we get a little extra for our long wait! Thank you Pete Jackson!!!
Wow, I'm glad you're happy, but do you really think an extra cardboard box warranted 16 exclamation points?
Old 09-29-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Joe Molotov
Wow, I'm glad you're happy, but do you really think an extra cardboard box warranted 16 exclamation points?
Based on the whining that's going on about NOT having the box, I'd say, "YES!".
Old 09-29-04, 12:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ben12
If "box sets" were actually sold with a piece of string tying all the DVDs together, do you think people would go all nuts about wanting just the string?
THERE'S GONNA BE A SET WITH A STRING!!!??!!! DAMN YOU PETER JACKSON!!!

I wonder if anyone on eBay will sell the string. Is it like nylon, or more like twine? What color is it?

One string to rule them all!

Last edited by Green Jello; 09-29-04 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-29-04, 12:52 PM
Banned

Man if it's half as ugly as the one they did for the movies then you're not missing anything. Who cares about a box? You're not a anime fan by any shot are ya?

I just looked at your name you are a anime fan I knew it. Some of them freaks are God Damn Nuts over some card broad. Also just saw the picture of the box it's no big deal.

I remember when the Cowboy Bebop box was selling for like $80 and above on ebay. I mean WTF is wrong with them people?

Last edited by TOPDAWG; 09-29-04 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-29-04, 01:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by steebo777
I still don't understand this. It's a cardboard box. So what? It doesn't enhance the movies themselves, or really help out the packaging. I'd rather have my EE's seperate anyway. To me they look like books that are supposed to be seperate. Just my $0.02 though.
Pretty much my sentiments too...the "book look" is classy when it comes to these releases. To hide this fact by puttiing them into a cardboard box or worse, something akin to what the Star Wars Trilogy came in, is IMO, sacriledge.
Old 09-29-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It takes long enough to get to one of the movies without tearing up the cardboard, adding a box around the boxes would just add more hassle.
Old 09-29-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Green Jello

I wonder if anyone on eBay will sell the string. Is it like nylon, or more like twine? What color is it?

I actually have a website selling custom-made, foil- and gold-plated strings. they cost $40, but they're totally worth it.
Old 09-29-04, 01:53 PM
Banned

I actually have a website selling custom-made, foil- and gold-plated strings. they cost $40, but they're totally worth it.
LINK PLEASE!!!
Old 09-29-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
Man if it's half as ugly as the one they did for the movies then you're not missing anything. Who cares about a box? You're not a anime fan by any shot are ya?

I just looked at your name you are a anime fan I knew it. Some of them freaks are God Damn Nuts over some card broad. Also just saw the picture of the box it's no big deal.

I remember when the Cowboy Bebop box was selling for like $80 and above on ebay. I mean WTF is wrong with them people?

More like $240 and above
Old 09-29-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What is the link? Please.
Old 09-29-04, 03:51 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Green Jello

The string is made from an Elf's role, the same kind that Frodo uses to bind Gollum.

If you get bound by it, you will have to subdue and buy all their LOTR stuff.
Old 09-29-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

IT'S A BOX!!!1 It's not something _extra_ for your wait! Jesus Christ!
I waited to buy these for a box set also, so it obviously matters to some people, no matter how stupid some of you think it may be. I've always loved boxes to put my movies in.

But the main reason I held off was because I didn't see the point of owning just the first and then the second thirds of a trilogy. I wanted to wait until they were all available and then be able to watch the complete story whenever I wanted.

Everyone feel free to sling insults now.
Old 09-29-04, 05:03 PM
Cool New Member

Why would you make yourself wait two years and one year respectively to own the 2 greatest dvd sets of all time just because you wanted to buy all 3 at once in a cardboard box? That is pretty nuts. Some people have missed out on owning and enjoying these EE's for that long just because of a box!
Old 09-29-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hah i was just joking about that, i'm not wasting my money on any of the LOTR movies. Overrated.
Old 09-29-04, 05:23 PM

You know it is rather silly to get all worked up over a box. Maybe
New Line, which has done a fantistic job of marketing all the DVD's and has been up front with the upcoming versions, would allow owners of the 3 extended version sets to buy the box. Of course the box should be rather inexpensive in the 5-10 dollar range (inc. shipping) and all we would have to do is ask for it(unless they want proof of purchase) via a form and send in the money. That's it. Simple and would satisfy the most rabid fan.

Anyone want to contact New Line or have one of the DVD sites (such as DVDTalk, Digital Bits, etc.) help us out? Just a thought since this discussion will just go in circles and some of us will do real silly things like hope they can get it off e-bay or buy the whole set again and then sell the other one. That's all too much effort for a box in my opinion.
Old 09-29-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tjn007
You know it is rather silly to get all worked up over a box. Maybe
New Line, which has done a fantistic job of marketing all the DVD's and has been up front with the upcoming versions, would allow owners of the 3 extended version sets to buy the box. Of course the box should be rather inexpensive in the 5-10 dollar range (inc. shipping) and all we would have to do is ask for it(unless they want proof of purchase) via a form and send in the money. That's it. Simple and would satisfy the most rabid fan.

Anyone want to contact New Line or have one of the DVD sites (such as DVDTalk, Digital Bits, etc.) help us out? Just a thought since this discussion will just go in circles and some of us will do real silly things like hope they can get it off e-bay or buy the whole set again and then sell the other one. That's all too much effort for a box in my opinion.
i second that, iam so proud that i've started this riot!
Old 09-29-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
More like $240 and above
Sold mine the other day for about $280 !
Old 09-29-04, 05:40 PM
Suspended

this thread is too funny.
Old 09-29-04, 06:38 PM

Yes,it's just a cardboard box.It will not help you to enjoy the movie at all.
I think however,that most of us here are collectors as well as movie fans.There's nothing wrong with wanting the box,it's simply another part of the fun of owning a particular product.
I couldn't imagine Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band without that beautiful cover,for example.
I have the first 2,and if the box is available to past purchasers,I'll get it.Again,only because it's part of the fun of being a collector.I buy for the movie,but will take whatever else comes with it.
Everybodys different;making fun of someone that sees or values things that you may not is a bit tacky,and specially here at a place dedicated to discussion of such things; seems a bit odd.
That being said,I guess there's 2 types of people here;collectors and serious film fans.Can't we all just get along?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.