Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Your Star Wars DVD Buying Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by duff beer
I guess it is happening, the many people who said they'd pass on buying it just couldn't walk from the temptation of the crystal clear eye candy, and the sound
Actually, no. I picked it up and looked it over, thought about it, put it back down and bought Season 4 of "Mr. Show" instead.
Old 09-21-04, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's my story and my two cents on all the other stories here.....

1. Here in Rhode Island, there were no stores opening especially at midnight to sell the trilogy at midnight so I had to pin my hopes on a 24 hr Wal-Mart Supercenter......1 hour and one state away in Massachusetts. But I had Tuesday off anyway (friend at work asked for the 2 of us to get the day off for this; he had to work and I got the day off), the 2 of us and my fiance (swell gal that she is) started the trip up round 1050, arrived about 15 minutes to midnight. Very surprised that I didnt see any1 waiting for a copy at first, then a few fellow Gen Xers who had just gotten out of work and figured on getting it before heading home. About midnight, there must have been about 5 of us in electronics waiting when a female associate came by and said, "Are u waiting for the Star Wars DVDs? They just set the display out in front of the store". First reaction on my part? "Damn, I didnt get the first one." Arriving in front, knabbed my disc. Only geek moments to report are one guy had the trilogy and Clerks X in his hand (probably 2 of the best DVD sets ever and I mentioned to my buddy what I cool viewing experience this guy was gonna have) and one other guy asking me, "Do you collect the toys? There gonna bring out some new toys in a couple of minutes." At that, I slunked to the register, the cashier being amused that we came from RI for our purchase (the Super Walmart is coming to my town soon enough my friend, dont you worry", and homeword bound we were. Watched the trailers (funny shit I must say; is that Harrison Ford talking real fast in the Star Wars launch trailer?) and the Episode 3 preview. Then watched the Jay and Silent Bob MTV bits on my Clerks X DVD and saved the rest for sunup. Was sorta dissapointed there was no hooplah here. Saw the lines in the bookstores for Harry Potter V and thought it was fun. Oh well.
2. Have watched up to Leia's planet blowing up on ANH without problems. Where is the disc freezing exactly?
3.Im guessing when the old guy gets home with his silver disc, he will be complaining about those damn black bars on his screen. And to think I had the widescreen bias back when the Special Editions of the VHS came out....live and learn.
4.As to our friend who bought the DVD and the "trash bad container"....ahem....together. Didnt the alarm at the door go off?
If this story is at it seems, it once again proves the 'ol addage....

Evil will always win, because good is dumb.
Old 09-21-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ChrisHicks
went to Meijers last night about 12:30am and was in/out in less than 3 min. grabbed the set walked about 10 steps to a register, I was the only person in line.
Just curious how much is meijers selling them for.
Old 09-21-04, 11:31 PM

Ordered mine and it has wrinkles in a few spots. *sigh*
Old 09-21-04, 11:56 PM

Wrinkles? On a DVD? I thought that was one of the reasons that we as a people updated from VHS.....

Or are we talking about the package? If so, my bad.
Old 09-21-04, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by shaggy
For anyone in the Niagara Falls, NY area, Walmart has it for $35.81.
Since I kept hearing that Wal-Mart, a store that still isn't in my area, had the best prices (like the price shaggy quoted), I decided to take a road trip to the closest one to my house.

After finding out the hard way that MapQuest really did not know where the Cedar Knolls Wally World was actually located, I find my way into the store and then the electronics section. And lo, next to the display of Lindsay Lohan (excuse me, started drooling there), I find the display...

...and SW is selling for $47.99. W-W-WTF?!

Was this not supposed to be THE place to buy it at a cheap price? A mecca of great deals? A veritable gold mine for discount shopping?

A quick phone call to my friend, who was at his desk (thank you fnordboy), and he finds out that all of the above questions would be answered yes if I lived in Topeka, or someplace other than my part of New Jersey.

"Go to CompUSA", he says. "$39.99."

Well, CompUSA didn't have any copies out. NONE. But the guy behind the counter responds to my query with a simple "Silver or gold?" He follows it with a "Of course, it's gotta be silver, right?" I like this guy.

But then the surreal part comes in, when I go to Suncoast to pick up a copy of Evangelion #2, and there is a Stormtrooper, two TIE Fighter pilots, and an AT-AT commander (not sure about the last one, I think I passed out from the blood shooting out of my eyes*) standing outside, greeting people while armed with blaster rifles.

Grabbed the Eva disc, paid and as I walked out, I said "As you were" to the Stormtrooper.

(* I'm not making fun of the folks who dress up. Well, okay, maybe a little. The kid part of me wishes I had a Stormtrooper outfit, but alas, I don't have the physique for one. Or the cash. Or the cash to get the physique.

I think I passed out because of a sensory overload... or a tremor in the Force. Something like that . )

Gary
Old 09-22-04, 12:52 AM

at the galleria best buy in houston there were employees dressed as chewbacca, vader, and what i guess was an asian jedi.
Old 09-22-04, 12:59 AM
Banned

I notice not many reports of people buying Full-Screen.
Old 09-22-04, 01:10 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 929 Likes on 779 Posts
finally! other stories with lifesize "Star Wars" characters in them. i couldn't think my Best Buy would be the only one doing this, but i guess i lucked out with Darth and Boba!
Old 09-22-04, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My friend bought fullscreen. He swears by it and avoids Widescreen like the plague unless it's a Paramount release, he said for some reason those appear as full screen on his DVD player.

I posted a message about my friend's buying experience, but I think I may have put it in the wrong thread, over in DVD Bargains.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I called my friend this afternoon to see if he was able to get to Best Buy to do the price match with the Fry's ad. (Best Buy appox 40 miles away, Oxnard, Fry's 70, Woodland Hills).

Wal-Mart is across the street from BB and doesn't consider Fry's a 'local' competitor, since there are other Wal-Marts closer.

Anyways, he said there were only about ten people at BB, and he was told $45 for the DVD's and magazine, or $51 if he wanted 2 Cokes, popcorn and candy.

He pulled out the Fry's ad, and was told they'd match, and give him the magazine, but not the junk food. He said that was fine, took the box and mag to the checkout, then grabbed one Coke for the drive back to work.

The manager was hanging around the registers and asked him if he knew he could get more food for just a couple more bucks.

He said the lady he had just talked to had said he couldn't because he was price matching.

The manager said, "So what?", grabbed another Coke, some popcorn, asked if M & M's were ok, threw the food in one bag, the DVD's and mag in another and it cost him $39 and change after the Fry's match and tax.

JP

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if you've now seen that message twice. I'm still learning here.

JP
Old 09-22-04, 01:15 AM

I went to my best buy to get star wars and I left a little aggravated. You see, most of the boxes were heavily crushed or damaged. I spent about half an hour looking through all the boxes. It took me like 20 or 30 before I found a decent one. I'm kind of upset that for such a big dvd release that the boxes wouldn't be mint. Maybe it's just my best buy, I don't know. For a release like this I want a perfect box. Sorry, but that's just how I am. I also got the free magazine. I was tempted to get battlefront as well, as they had that on display. It seemed pretty fun.
Old 09-22-04, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sure! Let's recap my stupid STar Wars DVD buying experience shall we?

I went to the local Wal-Mart after choir practice, about an hour ago--10-ish PM. Straight to the DVD section. Didn't find any. Asked an employee and here's the answer I got:

"They're behind the counter, but only Full Screen. Widescreen sold out by 1:30PM"

And now I hate the world. Pardon me while I go on a self-exile to the Phantom Zone.
Old 09-22-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

was in class all day until 5...when i finally got to Wal Mart they only had 1 widescreen copy left and about 8-10 full screen ones.

there was no big display or anything...just a normal spot in the rack...i was pretty surprised they didn't get very many copies...i figured they would have tons and tons
Old 09-22-04, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, forgot to say I went to Circuit City about 5:30 for the new Green Day CD ($9.99!) and they had a huge display of sets.

One side widescreen, one side fullscreen, the full screen side was full, the wide screen side about 3/4, but had about 5 or 6 fullscreens in there as well.

JP
Old 09-22-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No drama for me today. Best Buy had a huge stack of sparkling silver box sets near the entrance. I got mine and grabbed a couple of Madden coupon books on my way to the register. I was out the door spending just $34.39 plus tax.

Thank you, John Madden... You beautiful fat man.
Old 09-22-04, 02:42 AM

Originally posted by danganet
Walked into Fry's shortly after 10am, 2 hours after the store opened. No display to be found, so I went down the Sci Fi aisle. There was sitting on the shelf 2 copies WS. A lady standing there picked one as I grabbed the other.

Seen a few other people with silver copies in hand going to the checkout. Once there the dude already had it rang up, as if each new transaction automatically assumed the next person was getting one. Best price around.

Why no display at Fry's? Where I work (Retail as well) we had not one but 2 huge displayers (but were selling it $49.99).
Wow. We were probably there at the exact same time. I had my two little daughters in tow. My oldest was carrying the silver box. But yeah, it was weird that there was NO display anywhere. In fact, when I got there, they didn't even have any on the shelves. I was about to ask someone about it when a guy came over with a cardboard box and loaded up the shelf again with widescreen copies.
Old 09-22-04, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pretty drama-free event for me, too. No midnight sales in my area, so I went to Best Buy after work to pick up my copy. Grabbed the set and the freebie magazine (there were literally hundreds of them, way more than the number of DVD sets they had on display), went to the counter, showed the CompUSA ad for a $39.99 price match, handed over $24.99 plus $15 in Reward Zone certificates, and then took my set home.

I'm guessing that a lot of people either didn't know about the magazine offer at my local Best Buy, or they just didn't want one.
Old 09-22-04, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I pre ordered mine at Futureshop and got my free Star Wars shirt at around 5 in the evening. There were tons of people in there, but was one of the few who had a copy in their hands.

Bestbuy was pathetic. They had a crappy display with only fullscreen copies available.

Walmart had tons and they had the best looking display out of the three. Every store I went into had the movies on all of the tv sets as well as a fee demo of the Play Station 2 game to play.

There were no huge lineups.
Old 09-22-04, 06:53 AM

My experience was pretty carefree. I preordered the set from Amazon and it arrived a day before release date... so I'm happy
Old 09-22-04, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,304 Likes on 948 Posts
Originally posted by GaryEA
Since I kept hearing that Wal-Mart, a store that still isn't in my area, had the best prices (like the price shaggy quoted), I decided to take a road trip to the closest one to my house.

I find the display...

...and SW is selling for $47.99. W-W-WTF?!

Was this not supposed to be THE place to buy it at a cheap price? A mecca of great deals? A veritable gold mine for discount shopping?
There's a thread over in Bargains Forum that discusses Star Wars and Wal*Mart prices. If you look through it you quickly notice that not every Wal*Mart sells stuff for the same price. The one by me has traditionally sold high-profile DVDs for less on release week. I think a manager checks the prices locally and undersells the lowest price (not counting special discounts). Big time YMMV.

Fry's was selling for $36.99 so my Wal*Mart had it marked for $36.88 (plus no hassle since Fry's can be a zoo).
Old 09-22-04, 07:19 AM

Went to Best Buy at 10:20, picked up my WS copy and proceeded to checkout. Asked the girl working the register if they had any more of the Sky Captain promo DVDs they were giving out 2 weeks ago. She pulled one out from under the register and gave it to me, along with the SW Insider Magazine and the Entertainment Weekly magazine.

When I got home I took the DVDs out of the bag, held it above my head, and proclaimed to my wife and kid, "Behold, the holy Trilogy!" Er, ok, back to reality....
Old 09-22-04, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to Toys R Us Monday to "pre-order" mine after finding out that they would price match Comp USA's ad PLUS give the $10 gift card. Went back Tuesday to pick it up and they now tried to tell me I could either price match or get the gift card. After a little bit of arguing, I got them to give me both, but they said I was the last person they would do it for.
Old 09-22-04, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There were a bunch of people at the local Best Buy but there wasn't a line, almost everyone waited patiently until the doors open to leave their cars. I browsed for a little while to put off going back to work and noticed EVERYONE that came in was buying a set, and all were widescreen. I didn't see one person buying FS. One other thing that I noticed: 3 people bought HDTV's while I was there - 3?! And all 3 had a copy of SW in their hands. I think SW finally coming out is encouraging a lot of people to take the plunge on buying a nice TV.
Old 09-22-04, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...still waiting on Amazon... ::sigh::
Old 09-22-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got mine from amazon yesterday....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.