Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Your Star Wars DVD Buying Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-04, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MJKTool
Went to Target, picked up the silverbox. Also picked up a trash bag container. Put the silverbox in the trash bag container. But not before I made sure to grab the top of the trash bag container which they dont attach to it. idiots. went to the check out line. cute girl. definetly hittable from a dvdtalk standpoint. inserted my card into her machine. signed the machine, but not before she wanted to see my drivers license. her machine spit out my reciept and I though i was done. But no I gotta go thru another idiot wanting to check my receipt when he saw me pay for it not 10 feet away. ego trip probably. went to my car and opened up the box and looked at the dvds i've wanted for over 5 years and thought to myself...."this sure was fucking anti-climatic"
So you only paid for the trash can?
Old 09-21-04, 07:20 PM

Watched a Stormtrooper leave Best Buy and walk next door to Starbucks for a coffee. If I only had my camera with me.
Old 09-21-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally posted by MJKTool
No shit?
Sorta... I giggled 'cuz all the self-help checkouts had their lights blinking... and I really didn't skip...but walked briskly

Old 09-21-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well i'm hoping for the originals to be on dvd.
Old 09-21-04, 07:36 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Went to Best Buy, threw down the Madden coupon, hit the Visa for $36.52, left.

Seriously.

(Good stories, though!)
Old 09-21-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went to Best Buy at midnight last night (or this morning, whatever) and there were more people there than I expected. It was one of the Best Buy's participating in the XBox giveaway thing (Tyler St. in Riverside, CA) and that's the main reason I went. Too broke to buy an XBox, so I figured I should just try to win won, however unlikely. Of all the Best Buy's in the US, I don't know why the one in Riverside was chosen for the giveaways, which is why I'm surprised to many people were there.

I work near that Best Buy, so after I got out (5pm), I drove by and saw about 3 people in line. So I drove 10-15 minutes to my grandparents to have dinner, watched the 1st quarter of Monday Night Football, and decided to just head back to BB. Got back around 7, was the 12th person in line, and just waited. Local radio station came by around 9, line had gone around the building by 9:30 (150-200 people), and more people kept showing up until about 11:30. Two guys behind me had Master Replica light sabers with glowing blades and action sounds, and they looked pretty nice. They look kind of silly when not on, because the blade is just a white LED tube, but when you turn them on, they light up very nicely. Anyways, they did the drawing at about 11:50, and the 3 winners were all from the middle-back end of the line, so that pissed off everyone towards the front. Doors opened at midnight, 15 people inside at a time. They had the Battlefront game on display for people to play. I checked it out for about 5 minutes; either I'm totally not used to an XBox controller, or that game is really tough, because I was dying quick. After that, went to the check out counter, paid for the DVD, and the cashier gave me a free Star Wars Battlefront T-shirt because I was one of the first 50 in line.

So yeah, no XBox, but I got my DVD... and I suppose good practice for waiting in line for Episode 3 in May.
Old 09-21-04, 07:49 PM

Went to best buy with $46 bucks since I it was advertised as $42, figured tax was a dollar or two, left empty handed, I didn't have .64 cents oh well
Old 09-21-04, 07:59 PM

A friend and I showed up at 11:55 last night at Wal-mart. To my surprise, there was only one other person waiting for the trilogy. I pricematched the COMPUSA ad for $39.99 and was on my way home about 12:10. About 4 other people showed up after us to get the trilogy. Everyone bought the widescreen. I hope I read an article in the next few weeks that says that they have so many fullscreen sets laying about at all of the retail stores that they end up sending them back. The fact that they exist bothers me.
-Mike
Old 09-21-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I preordered the set at Amazon.ca along with Shaolin Soccer and it arrived this morning.

I'm pleased about the timing of the delivery but it probably has to do with the fact that I live an hour away from the shipping center.
Old 09-21-04, 08:21 PM

Went dressed as Jar Jar to Media Play..used my replay bux ...got it for $30...I teach High School and going through the day dressed as Jar Jar really got some unwelcome attention...it was worth it to hit MP in full costume afterwards though.
Old 09-21-04, 08:38 PM

Well i'm hoping for the originals to be on dvd.
Thank you for sharing, Mr. Threadcrap.
Old 09-21-04, 09:11 PM

Walked into Fry's shortly after 10am, 2 hours after the store opened. No display to be found, so I went down the Sci Fi aisle. There was sitting on the shelf 2 copies WS. A lady standing there picked one as I grabbed the other.

Seen a few other people with silver copies in hand going to the checkout. Once there the dude already had it rang up, as if each new transaction automatically assumed the next person was getting one. Best price around.

Why no display at Fry's? Where I work (Retail as well) we had not one but 2 huge displayers (but were selling it $49.99).
Old 09-21-04, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by JupiterPrime
nope - mail works just fine and didnt have to wade through a bunch of wacko nut jobs in costumes or stand in line at the checkout counter - placed my online order, and came right to my door - done deal - no fuss, no muss, no lines, no wasted time.
Oh yeah those nuts, those lines, I couldn't stand them at all.......wait a minute, there were no lines, because it's not THAT big of a deal! I walked into a store picked up my preordered copy and left. They still had plenty in stock too.
Old 09-21-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I went to Wal Mart about 2pm there was nobody around, picked up my WS set for $36.87, and was on my merry way.

They also had some classic figure sets for $9.99. ( the real skinny figures from the 70's & 80's )
Old 09-21-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My mom woke me up and said that Best Buy opens in 20 minutes. She's so nice; she helped me make my Boba Fett costume. Anyway, I put on my costume (the helmet is made from an old Folgers can), jumped on my ten speed, and headed to Best Buy. A bunch of people laughed at me in the store, but that was okay because I was getting my favorite movies of all time. But then I realized that I forgot my money (I had been saving that money all summer), and had to bike back home. As I left the parking lot my cape got caught in the chain and I fell down. Needless to say, I ultimately got my sweet Star Wars set and I'm now watching it in my homemade Maladorian armor.
Old 09-21-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SPiRAL

They also had some classic figure sets for $9.99. ( the real skinny figures from the 70's & 80's )
I thought he didn't really want to release those, but the technology didn't really support his true toy vision so he released them, you know, kind of unfinished.
Old 09-21-04, 09:56 PM

So you only paid for the trash can?
No, no....it's not a "Trash Can"; it's a "Trash Bag Container" (a container that holds a trash bag only).

And such a vile receptacle is *hardly* the proper location for placing such a fine hunk of four-disc Digital Versatile Disc boxed assortment such as the Star Wars Trilogy -- unless, of course, it was the Gold-box version. In which case, lighter fluid would also be an essential add-on purchase, in addition to the ever-famous "Trash Bag Container".

(Sorry. I flared.)

"Shut down all the garbage mashers on the detention level!!

Shut down ALL garbage mashers on the detention level!!!

3PO?? Where could he be??!!

3PO? We need a trash bag container down here in the garbage masher area! Fast!"

Last edited by davidvp; 09-21-04 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-21-04, 10:09 PM

.... "What a wonderful smell you've discovered!!"

Old 09-21-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
My Fry's experience was pretty dull. I took the day off to eat up some vacation time, and when my alarm went off at 6:20 this morning, I realized that I was being silly and went back to sleep till 8 or so.

Moseyed into Fry's around 11 or so, and they didn't have a display set up or anything, just a bunch out in the new release section. When I was looking for one that wasn't dinged up, I got a "what? You're not going to open it?" comment, I had to explain I just liked my DVDs to look good. I did make a widescreen convert though, he was under that old assumption that widescreen movies wouldn't work on his "regular" TV. I convinced him to pick up the platinum box in the end.

Spent some time just wandering Fry's as I'm usually with someone else or just on my lunch break. They've got a lot of neat things, like oscilloscopes and stuff.

As I was leaving I started to see clumps of people coming in looking for the set, I directed a few people back to the aisle.

As I walked up to the register, the cashier saw what I had and said the price before he even scanned it.

Walking to my car, somebody noticed it in my hand ( I don't use bags if not necessary) and asked if they had anymore left (plenty) and if the 36.99 price was real (yes)

So, I've got it home, but I've only watched part of the bonus features. I'm saving the rest for this weekend, the wife and I got a hotel room in downtown Chicago, and we're taking the PS2 and all five movies and making a getaway of it all.
Old 09-21-04, 10:11 PM

Went to my local walmart at 8:00 AM no display out front. went through to electronics none to be found on the shelves. No one working in the department. no empty space on the dvd wall. Getting discouraged.

Saw shopping cart with boxes labeled do not display until September 21. Peeked into one saw a gold colored box but no silver. Being the courteous person that I am looked for a worker. Being that I am a deputy sheriff and was in uniform. Checked the other red box, it had the silver. Said oh well, grabbed one out and went to the check out. In a town of 5,000 Star Wars is absolutley not a big deal.
Old 09-21-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cactusoly
Went to kmart of all places and they had it for $39.99, cheaper than anywhere else in the area (including walmart) and they never even advertised it.
Then they wonder why they are struggling in the business....that is where I picked my copy up only because they are so close to me.
Old 09-21-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was all set to hit Fred Meyers at 7AM this morning, but the damn boss talked me into staying at work an extra couple of hours. So by the time I was done I was was just too damn tired to worry about SW.

I'm just hoping they aren't sold out of WS.

Sucks to be me.
Old 09-21-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was all set to hit Fred Meyers at 7AM this morning, but the damn boss talked me into staying at work an extra couple of hours. So by the time I was done I was was just too damn tired to worry about SW.

I'm just hoping they aren't sold out of WS by tomorrow.

Sucks to be me.
Old 09-21-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess it is happening, the many people who said they'd pass on buying it just couldn't walk from the temptation of the crystal clear eye candy, and the sound (oh wait that didn't turn out that good as expected)

The masses were woo'ed and Lucas just craftily executed another jedi mind-trick. I guess the dark side really does win!
Old 09-21-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had my dvds for about a week, but i still went to Media Play for midnight to see if they had any other cool Star Wars stuff. I was shocked how many people were there for a small town. Lots dressed up, even a few Jars Jars. The best thing about today is Battlefront, the commercials are not hype, you really feel like you are living these battles. Its even fun to die, Vader even whipped me once. For anyone in the Niagara Falls, NY area, Walmart has it for $35.81.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.