Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ren & Stimpy: Seasons 1 & 2 coming on 10/12

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-04, 10:49 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the John K. Responds:

Buy this damn thing. I put in as much cool stuff as I could for you. Buy it and maybe Spike will order new episodes!
New Episodes on Spike = No sale!

(Lord I'm torn - classic R&S is pure comedy gold. Spike TV R&S is pure comedy shit)
Old 10-07-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by El-Kabong
From the John K. Responds:

New Episodes on Spike = No sale!

(Lord I'm torn - classic R&S is pure comedy gold. Spike TV R&S is pure comedy shit)
GOSPEL!
Old 10-07-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So is this set CUT or UNCUT? I mean as far as the way it was originally aired on Nickelodeon. Because it they aren't those versions, then NO SALE!
Old 10-07-04, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by abintra
Okay, I can't recall every seeing this - other than the Happy Happy Joy Joy theme anyway - can someone give me an idea of the theme/tone and anything it might compare to to give me an idea if I might like it?
The best comparison is probably Spongebob Squarepants, which is a watered-down, family-friendly, and optimistic take on Ren & Stimpy (note the similarity between Spongebob and Stimpy; both Mr. Crab and Squidward share some of Ren's characteristics). The animation in SbSp was strongly influenced by R&S.

R&S is strong on gross-out humor, and--in its day--was one of the most subversive cartoons ever to hit mainstream TV.
Old 10-07-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally posted by darqleo
So is this set CUT or UNCUT? I mean as far as the way it was originally aired on Nickelodeon. Because it they aren't those versions, then NO SALE!
If you flip back to the last page you'll see several reproductions of the DVD set cover with the large words UNCUT on there.
Old 10-07-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
If you flip back to the last page you'll see several reproductions of the DVD set cover with the large words UNCUT on there.
Yeah but then abintra said this

Originally posted by abintra
TVShowsOnDVD is reporting that the set isn't actually uncut as there are some episodes that contain cuts.

I was going to order this but now what are the odds that this will get released again at some point to correct this? John K's explanation saying there were cuts after he stopped watching the show and he didn't know about them seems odd as I thought it was said the S1&S2 were all his (minus a couple towards the end).
Old 10-07-04, 07:30 PM

5 of the episodes are cut.

from Loyal Order of Stupids (page 3):

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, here's a complete list of the cuts (that I noticed!)
Stimpy's Toothache
- Ren & stimpy saying goodnight to eachother
- Some scenes of Stimpy brushing then spitting into a jar
- Some of Ren griniding his teeth out in his sleep
Haunted House
- Entire 'Bloody Head' scene
Bug Baby Scam
- Extreme closeup of Ren being scraped along Mr. Pipe's stubble
- Grandpa whistling to Ren & Stimpy in the bath
The Cat That Laid The Golden Hairball
- Some scenes of Stimpy licking off his fur
Son Of Stimpy/Stimpy's First Fart
- Ren saying "Here's your Christmas present, Stimpy. I hope you like it...wherever you are!"

So that's 5 out of 32 Episodes that are cut. Not too bad if you ask me, although of course it's a little disappointing given the title of the DVD collection!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the UNCUT label on the packaging is fraud. only a recall is acceptable at this point.

Paramount's contact info:

Paramount Studios
5555 Melrose Avenue
Hollywood, CA 90038

Paramount Home Entertainment
1-323-956-8070 or 1-323-956-8830 or 1-323-956-8509
Old 10-07-04, 07:40 PM

Damn.... the toothache episode was my fav. episode!!
Old 10-07-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,510 Posts
Dammit! The "bloody head" sequence in Haunted House and the grandpa whistling sequence in the Big Baby Scam are two of my favourite parts of those episodes. They were just so unexpected when I first saw those episodes, and I loved it. (the "Bloody Head Fairy was already censored as it was, because he originally had the head of George Liquor). Oh well, I guess I still have my old VHS tapes of those episodes.
Old 10-07-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by soop the UNCUT label on the packaging is fraud. only a recall is acceptable at this point.

Paramount's contact info:

Paramount Studios
5555 Melrose Avenue
Hollywood, CA 90038

Paramount Home Entertainment
1-323-956-8070 or 1-323-956-8830 or 1-323-956-8509 [/B]
I noticed that Best Buy offers an exclusive additional dvd that features a couple of episodes from Season 3 so know that it is possible for Paramount to rectify its advertising of this set being uncut and replace those episodes that actually have been cut from their original form but what are the odds that they will receive enough complaints about mis-advertising it and/or actually replace the episodes that are cut and honor its advertising?
Old 10-07-04, 08:20 PM

How in the world can they slap a giant 'UNCUT' label on something that has obviously been CUT!? I don't believe will legally be able to use that label any longer once the complaints start rolling in.
Old 10-07-04, 08:46 PM

please contact Paramount.

For long-time fans like myself, this is highly disappointing.

The level carelessness is beyond belief. And John K/s pathetic response (re-posted by tvshowsondvd.com) makes me not want to buy any of his products ever again.
Old 10-07-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Are these definitely cuts from how the show originally aired on Nickelodeon? I gotta admit, I don't remember every scene from a TV show from 10 years ago. You would think the guy who created it would though. And why on earth would you need to cut from a show that used to air Sunday mornings on a kids' channel for a DVD release? That doesn't even make any sense.

Could it be some bizarre rights issue? Maybe Nick only licensed the cut versions back? Seems very strange that there is "lost footage" from a 1990s production of a show that became a huge hit. That would be like finding out there is lost footage from the early Simpsons seasons. It won't stop me from picking it up I have to admit...99.75% of Ren is better than no Ren.
Old 10-07-04, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by soop
the UNCUT label on the packaging is fraud. only a recall is acceptable at this point.

Oh.. you were serious?
Old 10-08-04, 06:38 AM

do you not agree this is fraud?
Old 10-08-04, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by soop
do you not agree this is fraud?
Fraud: A deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain

I certainly don't think that this is fraud. It sounds like an honest oversight. Certainly, other than a few hardcore fans of the show, very few people are even going to notice the cuts. I certainly don't believe that this was some mass conspiracy to defraud of us our money.

Besides, from the descriptions I have read, it's only about 2 minutes of a cartoon that aired in 1991 that's missing. It's not like the entire show has been destroyed. It is merely a few minutes that most people (myself included) would probably not have noticed were even missing in the first place.

Finally, the line I always use in these discussions: It's only a DVD; get over it.
Old 10-08-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by pOpus
Fraud: A deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain

I certainly don't think that this is fraud. It sounds like an honest oversight. Certainly, other than a few hardcore fans of the show, very few people are even going to notice the cuts. I certainly don't believe that this was some mass conspiracy to defraud of us our money.

Besides, from the descriptions I have read, it's only about 2 minutes of a cartoon that aired in 1991 that's missing. It's not like the entire show has been destroyed. It is merely a few minutes that most people (myself included) would probably not have noticed were even missing in the first place.

Finally, the line I always use in these discussions: It's only a DVD; get over it.

This is a show that has been hacked up just about every place it has aired. Paramount knew damn well what putting UNCUT! on the cover meant -- otherwise they wouldn't have done it.

I'm not sure I understand your comment "it's only about 2 minutes of a cartoon that aired in 1991 that's missing. It's not like the entire show has been destroyed." What does the length of the cuts or the year the show was made matter? There are scenes missing. That's not uncut... is it? That's edited.

I don't think we have to start a class-action lawsuit or anything... but the people who put this DVD together have to be told that this is not acceptable. In general, having edited versions of TV shows on DVD is bad. But to have high-visibility marketing that claims the exact opposite *is* fraud.
Old 10-08-04, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by bboisvert
This is a show that has been hacked up just about every place it has aired. Paramount knew damn well what putting UNCUT! on the cover meant -- otherwise they wouldn't have done it.

I'm not sure I understand your comment "it's only about 2 minutes of a cartoon that aired in 1991 that's missing. It's not like the entire show has been destroyed." What does the length of the cuts or the year the show was made matter? There are scenes missing. That's not uncut... is it? That's edited.

I don't think we have to start a class-action lawsuit or anything... but the people who put this DVD together have to be told that this is not acceptable. In general, having edited versions of TV shows on DVD is bad. But to have high-visibility marketing that claims the exact opposite *is* fraud.
Let's address these issues one at a time:

Point 1:
The guy who actually created the show said that he didn't notice the cuts. If anyone should have noticed them, it was him. The cuts were so insignificant that even he didn't pay attention to them. If he has put his blessing on the DVD, then I can accept that. The implication of his statements was that he thought that he had restored all of the cuts. If he told Paramount that the episodes were restored and uncut, maybe they believed him. I still believe that this was nothing more than an oversight.

Point 2:
I don't see why you can't understand about the length of the cuts. It's probably 2 minutes at most, and most of the descriptions I have seen seem to indicate that almost all of the cuts are trivial in nature (with perhaps one exception). Perhaps the missing bits don't even exist anymore. Should we wait for six months or a year while people search through the archives at Paramount and Nickelodeon to look for 10 seconds of Stimpy's fur being licked? You may want to, but I don't.

Point 3:
The show was produced at a time when the possibility of issuing season sets on any medium seemed remote. More to the point, I don't imagine any of the executives of Nick believed that anyone who would later watch the show would be overly concerned about a few missing segments.

Bottom line:
The show is almost 15 years old. It was a cheaply produced show on (at the time) a second rate cable network. The fact that someone has taken the time to do as much as they have with it is nothing short of a miracle. Given Nick's distaste for John K., we are lucky to see this at all. It is more than likely about as uncut as it will ever be, so I am going to enjoy it as it is.
Old 10-08-04, 10:45 AM
Suspended

While I dont like the idea of the cuts, it's what - 120 seconds of material gone? Compared to the GLORY of Stimpy's Invention or Space Madness, whats a blink of an eye?

I'd rather have 3/4th of a thing rather than 0/0 of a thing.
Old 10-08-04, 11:03 AM
Suspended

Please note that the website of those corporate bandits (Paramount Home Entertainment) doesn't have an e-mail addresss which could allow them to stay in touch with their consumers or hear their complaints.

What do you expect from a website that spells its own TV show Fraser, "Frasier"?

And yes, I will miss the bloody head segment and I can't imagine "Son of Stimpy" without the absolutely pivotal words "Here is your Christmas present, Stimpy... wherever you are (breaks down and cries just before hearing the door bell)."

Last edited by baracine; 10-08-04 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-08-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by pOpus
It's only a DVD; get over it.
That might be good advice out in the real world, but on a DVD discussion board for DVD fanatics, this philosophy doesn't hold water.

EDIT : And go get'em, Zombie Jesus!
Old 10-08-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
If you guys have a problem with this set, you can take it up with John K. in person, as he's making a personal appearance at the Virgin Megastore on Sunset Boulevard in L.A. on Tuesday, October 12, from 7 to 9 PM.
Old 10-08-04, 04:09 PM

As long as they take 'UNCUT' off the front of this item, then that's fine. Otherwise, I'm sure they have heard the complaints now and understand that it is false advertising.
Old 10-08-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Something you all are missing - it's possible that the cut footage no longer even exists. John K. said as much in his response. These may be the most complete versions of these episodes possible.
Old 10-08-04, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by DVD Josh
Something you all are missing - it's possible that the cut footage no longer even exists. John K. said as much in his response. These may be the most complete versions of these episodes possible.
That still means it's not UNCUT, so they shouldn't be using that as a selling point.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.