Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ren & Stimpy: Seasons 1 & 2 coming on 10/12

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-04, 08:01 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by abintra
Okay, phew. Seeing that pretty much scared me away from considering the first two seasons for a minute because I've heard people mention that those seasons also relied heavily on body functions/immature humor.
There are body functions and immature humour... but it's what they do with it! Watching those early episodes is like watching the best comedians who ever lived, except they're cartoon characters. Does that make sense?
Old 10-16-04, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by baracine
There are body functions and immature humour... but it's what they do with it! Watching those early episodes is like watching the best comedians who ever lived, except they're cartoon characters. Does that make sense?
It makes sense but I don't have any context to place it in so just have to trust those that recommend it as a blind buy. If it is anything like the Firedogs 2 part 1 I saw then I'm going to deeply regret buying it but I also trust the repuatation it has garnered.
Old 10-16-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.tvtome.com/RenandStimpyShow/eplist.html

JP
Old 10-16-04, 09:26 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by abintra
It makes sense but I don't have any context to place it in so just have to trust those that recommend it as a blind buy. If it is anything like the Firedogs 2 part 1 I saw then I'm going to deeply regret buying it but I also trust the repuatation it has garnered.
How good is it, you ask? Listen, I was already fully mature when I first saw Ren and Stimpy on TV by accident and I didn't even realize what I was looking at, at first, so strange it was. But I stuck with it because it was so preposterous and the show was actually the only source of information about itself. Whatever happened, I did not want to miss a single episode of what I saw as pure, unadulterated comic genius. As if Jerry Lewis (yes, I'm French) had the ability to transform himself in any character he wanted, on top of being the script-writer and the director.

Whatever your present age, you owe it to the person you will eventually become one day to be able to look back and have the memory, at least, of what great traditional animation could accomplish in messing up your brain cells and making you beg for more at the same time.

Once again, the Spike TV episodes were just a collection of hyper-grossed out vision-less sketches that were designed to only stress the gross-out factor and leave out all the other qualities (especially the character development) that made the original episodes so endearing.

Trust me, you will bond with the sick little monkeys.
Old 10-17-04, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DVD Josh
Something you all are missing - it's possible that the cut footage no longer even exists. John K. said as much in his response. These may be the most complete versions of these episodes possible.
Not true. For instance, the uncut version of "Ren's Toothache" is present and accounted for on the Time-Life DVD.

John K.'s explanation doesn't remotely cut it. It seems as if one hand didn't know what the other hand was doing at Paramount. The wrong masters were used for some of the cartoons, the Spike masters. These cuts and addtional fades were instigated by Spike, not Nickelodeon back in the day. I luckily have "Son Of Stimpy", "Ren's Toothache", and "The Cat That Laid The Golden Hairball" intact on VHS.

The changes made by John himself for personal reasons are a different story, although it's extremely regrettable that the original broadcast versions of "Big Baby Scam" and "Haunted House" aren't also thrown on there.

Last edited by WaverBoy; 10-17-04 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-19-04, 01:21 AM

I was just curious what everyone did with the bonus disc. I just threw it into the case for safe keeping.
Old 10-19-04, 02:39 AM

I slide it into the insert slot of disc 2
Old 10-19-04, 09:48 PM

Anybody else having issues with disc 3 on their dvd player? I have a Sony and disc 3 freezes/resumes a lot during playback especially during Son of Stimpy. I have already exchanged it once and my new copy has the same problems...
Old 10-25-04, 11:56 PM

I don't like it.

More than just those 5 episodes are cut.

Much more. For example, almost every single episode included on this DVD has a fade-to-black/audio fade-out where there isn't one on the Time-Life DVD's. This was, presumably, where Spike stuck commercials. Also, the "UNCUT" footage is very blatantly stuck back in without being cleaned up, complete with a large digital time stamp directly across the middle of it. Disgusting.

It's far worse than you might think. I fortunately got John K. to cross off the "UN" part of "UNCUT" on mine, so I feel better about it. They seriously need to just go back, spend AS MUCH TIME AS THEY NEED and restore it back to its original 1991 glory.

I mean, heck, I wouldn't mind at this point if they need to go to a VHS to master the original footage! Just get it all in one place, and I'll be happy!
Old 10-27-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI, sort of OT but tower.com has some fun Ren & Stimpy toys on sale right now:

Whoopie cushon for $1.99

Happy happy magnet figure set for $6.99

Super toxic drum of eediots (IE barrel of monkeys) for $2.99

also, Tower $5 off coupon thread

(brings back days when toy stores were full of R&S stuff )

-Gunshy