DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Ren & Stimpy: Seasons 1 & 2 coming on 10/12 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/375108-ren-stimpy-seasons-1-2-coming-10-12-a.html)

RobCA 07-16-04 12:46 PM

Ren & Stimpy: Seasons 1 & 2 coming on 10/12

From TVShowsOnDVD.com:

Happy Happy, Joy Joy! Ren and Stimpy fans who missed out on last year's Time-Life offerings can rejoice! Paramount has quietly let retailers know that Ren and Stimpy - The Complete 1st & 2nd Seasons will be available to sell in-stores on October 12!

Over 30 episodes will be present on this release: "Stimpy's Big Day", "The Big Shot", "Stimpy's Storybook Land: Robin Hoek", "Nurse Stimpy", "Space Madness", "The Boy Who Cried 'Rat!'", "Fire Dogs", "Stimpy's Storybook Land: The Littlest Giant", "Marooned", "Untamed World", "Black Hole", "Stimpy's Invention", "In the Army", "Powdered Toastman", "Ren's Toothache", "Big House Blues", "Out West", "Rubber Nipple Salesmen", "Sven Hoek", "Mad Dog Hoek", "Haunted House", "Big Baby Scam", "Dog Show", "Son of Stimpy", "Monkey See, Monkey Don't", "Fake Dad", "The Great Outdoors", "The Cat That Laid The Golden Hairball", "Stimpy's Fan Club", "A Visit to Anthony", and "The Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen".

For those of us who managed to get the short-lived direct sale offering before Time-Life's rights (quickly) expired, there's still good reason to also get the new set. Besides 10 episodes that weren't on the old discs ("Mad Dog Hoek", "Haunted House", "Big Baby Scam", "Son of Stimpy", "Monkey See, Monkey Don't", "Fake Dad", "The Cat That Laid The Golden Hairball", "Stimpy's Fan Club", "A Visit to Anthony", and "The Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen"), Paramount's release will also have these extras:

Audio Commentary
Featurette
Image Gallery

Neat add-ons that make it worth adding this to your collection, eh? Something else that would make it worthwhile is if these turn out to be the completely unedited versions of each short. As an example, in the episode "Powdered Toastman", a document is burned in the fireplace, making a joke of the ignorance of "PTM" when he unwittingly shoves it in. Originally the paper was identifiable as the U.S. Constitution by the words "We The People" at the top, but on the Time-Life DVDs it is only a blank piece of paper. This is just one example of the edits this show has seen, both for broadcast and on the old DVDs. C'mon, Paramount...give us the unedited, original versions of each cartoon!

The running time is listed at 418 minutes, and pricing info isn't yet available. Nor is cover art, but we expect to have that reasonably soon. Stay tuned for more! In the meantime, recite the oath: "I do hereby promise only to watch the Ren & Stimpy Show..."

RockyMtnBri 07-16-04 12:55 PM

We can only hope!

Dabaomb 07-16-04 12:57 PM

great news. this is one of my favorite shows of all time. plus, this is 4 days before my 25th b-day so someone will probably get it for me as a gift.

cupon 07-16-04 01:02 PM

how many seasons were there?

wordtoyamotha 07-16-04 01:05 PM

Let the quotes begin

The Antipodean 07-16-04 01:11 PM

And THAT's why I didn't order the crappy Time-Life offerings! Hoo ha! :D

DVDKrayzie 07-16-04 01:24 PM

im so glad I just Ebayed my time-life DVDs for over $200

El-Kabong 07-16-04 01:39 PM

Woo hoo! Sometimes it pays to wait!

The important question is: how many seaons were there before the show went straight into the toilet! For me - I'm only getting season 1+2. The first 13 episodes are pure gold. The remainder of S2 was funny, but not quite as good, and of course everythinb after that stinks like a nose-goblin!

bboisvert 07-16-04 02:33 PM

This is great news... plus it's the perfect collection, since it contains ALL of the great episodes and basically all of the good ones too. El-Kabong is right... everything after this pretty much sucks.

However...

Woo hoo! Sometimes it pays to wait!
Actually, these sets were available from Time-Life for about $30-35 each. They've been selling on eBay for over $200 for the past 6 months or so. In this case, it would have paid better to grab them back in late 2003. ;)

GuessWho 07-16-04 02:41 PM

It's big.

It's heavy.

it's wood.

ThatGuamGuy 07-16-04 02:54 PM

Originally posted by cupon
Technically, there were five, apparently. (Not counting the new thing they did for Spike which was, by all reports, terrible.)

But Nickelodeon took the characters away from John K. (their creator/voice of Ren) and Spumco (his company) somewhere towards the end of Season Two (I believe they did complete the second season, not sure of it). This was after a lot of arguing over various things, but especially a character named "George Liquor", who was "too adult" for Nickelodeon.

Most people wouldn't be interested past the second season so, for all intents and purposes, this is everything worthwhile for Ren and Stimpy.

EDIT: Apparently one episode wasn't completed yet when they were fired, Ep 17, "A Visit From Anthony". According to tv-tome:
"The unevenness of the short is due to it being only partially finished when Games took over the cartoon, and the original script was likely edited to death. (One in-house memo suggested Anthony's family be giraffes rather than people!) Billy West voices Ren during the eyeball scene (John K. does so for the rest of the ep), and Randy Quaid as Anthony's old man was their idea (though admittedly he does pyscho redneck well)." [Billy West was the voice of Stimpy, but took over Ren as well when John K. was fired.]

El-Kabong 07-16-04 03:02 PM

The strange thing is that Nick objected to fact that Liquor sounded like "Lick Her" and not the fact that Liquor is an entoxicating drink. Go figure.

Originally posted by bboisvert
Actually, these sets were available from Time-Life for about $30-35 each. They've been selling on eBay for over $200 for the past 6 months or so. In this case, it would have paid better to grab them back in late 2003. ;)
Well, yesss . . that would be true if I ever had any intent on SELLING my precious discs.

(Oh, how long can trusty Cadet Kabong hold out? How can he possibly resist the diabolical urge to sell the discs that could erase his R&S collection? Will his tortured mind give in to its uncontrollable desires? Can he resist the temptation to sell the discs that, even now, beckons him even closer? Will he succumb to the maddening urge to sell his discs? At the MERE...PUSH...of a SINGLE...BUTTON! The beeyootiful SHINY discs! The jolly CANDY-LIKE discs! Will he hold out, folks? CAN he hold out?)

Ah - but I digress. Nope, I'd never have sold them, even for 200 bucks.

Buford T Pusser 07-16-04 03:32 PM

I was about to start this thread.

I have all of the first two years on videocassette but haven't played them since I taped them.

I think I'll get the DVDs anyway.

drjay 07-16-04 03:41 PM

Sweet. Right after I passed on the three TimeLife discs for $100. Whew.

cultshock 07-16-04 04:33 PM

From what I remember hearing, the Time Life discs didn't look that great, right? Hopefully these new discs have nicer transfers.

BTW, yes, Nickelodeon absolutely hated the George Liquor character. Not just the name, but also his overall tone. In fact, even though Nick ended up taking everything away from John K., they actually let him keep George. That's how much they hated the character, they didn't even want him. :lol:

shizawn 07-16-04 04:40 PM

Huzzah!

meharry2003 07-16-04 05:20 PM

Hell Yeah!

I got the Time Life DVDs but would much rather have these...

Good Job Paramount :up: ;)

seabs 07-16-04 07:31 PM

Don't whiz on the electric fence.

Simpson Purist 07-16-04 08:23 PM

HAPPY HAPPY, JOY JOY!

Very happy to see this arrive on DVD.

Bronkster 07-16-04 09:38 PM

No, sir! I don't like it!

Oh, okay. Yes, I do. -ptth-

:banana:

bboisvert 07-16-04 09:42 PM

Originally posted by El-Kabong
(Oh, how long can trusty Cadet Kabong hold out? How can he possibly resist the diabolical urge to sell the discs that could erase his R&S collection? Will his tortured mind give in to its uncontrollable desires? Can he resist the temptation to sell the discs that, even now, beckons him even closer? Will he succumb to the maddening urge to sell his discs? At the MERE...PUSH...of a SINGLE...BUTTON! The beeyootiful SHINY discs! The jolly CANDY-LIKE discs! Will he hold out, folks? CAN he hold out?)
rotfl

Originally posted by cultshock
From what I remember hearing, the Time Life discs didn't look that great, right? Hopefully these new discs have nicer transfers.
Agreed (about the need for new transfers).

Yes, the T-L discs looked like poop. They honestly didn't look any better than my 10-year-old VHS dubs, so I quickly sold off my set. (A bit too quickly it turns out... I only got $50 for 'em ;) ).

ScottyWH 07-16-04 10:12 PM

:up: :)

Pavko 07-17-04 09:20 AM

<------must................have.........this...........set!!!!

I'm most excited about seeing the episode "The Son Of Stimpy" again!

I hope they will put these episodes in a beeyootiful box

HistoryProf 07-17-04 11:33 AM

my video tapes recorded 12 years ago when these all first aired are just about kaput and look and sound terrible...i've been holding out hope that this day would come...and now it has :banana:

milo bloom 07-17-04 12:16 PM

I've been living off the Essential laserdisc for a few years now, let's just pray for uncut.