Ren & Stimpy: Seasons 1 & 2 coming on 10/12

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ren & Stimpy: Seasons 1 & 2 coming on 10/12

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-04, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to my Best Buy this morning to pick up the Ren & Stimpy set, but they didn't have any copies of the bonus DVD. I asked the employees working there and they knew nothing about it (I was there as soon as the store opened). Anyone else run into a situation where their Best Buy didn't have the bonus DVD?
Old 10-13-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Duodenum
APC led me to one conclusion: Nickelodeon may have actually had a legitimate beef with John K. back in the day. if the material he was delivering was anywhere near APC, then how could anyone have expected Nick to air it?? Film Threat and other sources made it out to be an unfair battle against the playful spirit of a master animator, but i think there was much more to the story.
For a brief time i believed what John K. was saying. Things changed when i saw those horrid Spike TV episodes.

The older, Nick "restricted" episodes were far better.
Old 10-13-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally posted by UAIOE
For a brief time i believed what John K. was saying. Things changed when i saw those horrid Spike TV episodes.

The older, Nick "restricted" episodes were far better.
No doubt. Not sure why he thought sadomasochistic homoeroticism was laugh out loud funny. When simply eating vomit, boogers, and tobacco juice is the highlight of the show, that ain't saying much. But I am all over these DVDs.
Old 10-13-04, 01:08 AM

Oh damn.

Why did Haunted House have to be one of the ones cut???

Boo I say Boo....

I still bought the set today though. But, Haunted House being cut annoys me
Old 10-13-04, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by emhello
Was the commercial where they were deep frying everything including cars, etc. in the first 2 seasons?
Old 10-13-04, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
emhello.. I'm not familar with the show and a basic search didn't yield the answer on TV Tome but if you wish to look through their episode guide it would probably have the info you are looking for.

http://www.tvtome.com/RenandStimpyShow/guide.html
Old 10-13-04, 02:59 AM

Ah... it's Billy The Beef-Tallow boy. Unfortunately it's in Season 3. Thanks abintra!
Old 10-13-04, 07:27 AM
Suspended

The set is a definite must-buy, no questions asked. It is a work of love, but I wish the shorts (Ask Dr. Stupid, Log, etc.) had been identified in the menus to make navigation easier.
Old 10-13-04, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=12712

DVD Talk's review is up.
Old 10-13-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally posted by frieda's boss
I went to my Best Buy this morning to pick up the Ren & Stimpy set, but they didn't have any copies of the bonus DVD. I asked the employees working there and they knew nothing about it (I was there as soon as the store opened). Anyone else run into a situation where their Best Buy didn't have the bonus DVD?
Look agian - Best Buy only has copies of the set with the bonus disc - it's wrapped with the set. Though it's easy to miss it because it's wrapped underneath the sheet on the back of the box.

But be quick about it - this thing is selling out all over - so much for the boycotts.

Also, FWIW, the back of the box says something like "featuring uncut versions of the following episodes: x, y, z" - and the episodes they name are the uncut ones. - so it's like they're admitting that only a few episodes are uncut.

Last edited by slop101; 10-13-04 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-13-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by emhello
Ah... it's Billy The Beef-Tallow boy. Unfortunately it's in Season 3. Thanks abintra!
It's on Best Buy's bonus disc, right after Ren's Retirement.

Originally posted by slop101
Look agian - Best Buy only has copies of the set with the bonus disc - it's wrapped with the set.
Not true. My Best Buy had a bunch of them out without a bonus disc. Only about half had the disc.

Also, FWIW, the back of the box says something like "featuring uncut versions of the following episodes: x, y, z" - and the episodes they name are the uncut ones. - so it's like they're admitting that only a few episodes are uncut.
If I'm understanding their logic, they are marking certain episodes specifically as "uncut" when they have footage added to them that never originally aired on Nick (or aired once and was quickly removed).

For example:

Big House Blues -- chopped quite a bit before airing. The disc includes both the original and Nick (edited) versions.

Sven Hoek -- includes a couple of bits that never aired. In the closet, Nick cut the episode when Stimpy says "Hey, this is private!" and closes the door. The circus/swordswallower bit never aired and was only available on bootlegs for years. They even have a bit during Ren's tirade that still has the timecode stamp on it... it only exists in that form.

Powdered Toastman - Says Frank Zappa as "The Pope" on the beginning credits. After the first airing, Nick made them change it to "The man in the pointy hat".

Etc.

I still don't think that explains the brief bits of missing footage on a few episodes. Footage that *did* air during the Nick run.
Old 10-13-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

not true. one bb had all of them with the bonus disc, while another store had about half the stock with and the other half without. the ones with will have the "bonus disc" sticker on the front, along with an additional sheet stuck to the back (you will be able to feel the back of the box (ooooh) for the bonus disc.) the ones without the sticker will not have the bonus disc.

good luck finding one. at least we didn't get screwed on this like the stupid Friday 13th box.

Look agian - Best Buy only has copies of the set with the bonus disc - it's wrapped with the set. Though it's easy to miss it because it's wrapped underneath the sheet on the back of the box.

But be quick about it - this thing is selling out all over - so much for the boycotts.

Old 10-13-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I was thinking I didn't get the bonus disc and was about ready to post here about it when I read about how it was packaged.
Old 10-13-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Dammit! Anybody else having problems playing disc 3? My DVD player just flashes a "C 13 00" message when I put it in. other discs play fine. Think I must've gotten a bum disc from scamazon as the other are OK. Dammit! Now I have to send it back to those sons of bitches. Unfair.
Old 10-14-04, 12:00 AM
Banned

Originally posted by FilmFanSea
The best comparison is probably Spongebob Squarepants, which is a watered-down, family-friendly, and optimistic take on Ren & Stimpy (note the similarity between Spongebob and Stimpy; both Mr. Crab and Squidward share some of Ren's characteristics). The animation in SbSp was strongly influenced by R&S.

R&S is strong on gross-out humor, and--in its day--was one of the most subversive cartoons ever to hit mainstream TV.
Funny comparison considering Paramount also botched the Spongebob Season 1 dvds. It was labeled as the "complete first season" although it was missing the pilot episode.
Old 10-14-04, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got the set tonight and there was only THREE sets left! ONE had the bonus disk so I snatched it up. Now theres only two. Apparently, Target will have the set for $25 next week. Looks like I have to get a discount!
Old 10-14-04, 06:39 AM
Suspended

This means there will be a very active market for the out-of-stock VHS uncut episodes of "Big Baby Scam" (on "Stinkier Stories", I think), "Son of Stimpy" (I own it!) and "Haunted House" (what is this one on?), just for those missing seconds. These episodes are not on the only laserdisc produced ("Classics I & II"). Can they be found "uncut" on any other available DVDs?

Last edited by baracine; 10-14-04 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-14-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Bill Needle
Not sure why he thought sadomasochistic homoeroticism was laugh out loud funny. When simply eating vomit, boogers, and tobacco juice is the highlight of the show, that ain't saying much.
I don't understand what happend between when Nick booted him out and when Spike TV said "make some new shows"

The change between the old and new shows was really jarring and really, really made me not like John K. anymore. The first episode i saw was the one you mentioned...where they lived in the spittoon and ate boogers and such. The only thing i had to say about the show afterwards was "No Sir, I didnt like it!"

And that is really what burned me about the new show, it lost that unique humor that made the orginal show so great. Eating boogers and popping out of some bum's ass aren't funny, Mr. Horse, Croc-o-Stimpy, trying to leave an alternate dimension in a bus....that was the good stuff.
Old 10-14-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,513 Posts
Originally posted by baracine
This means there will be a very active market for the out-of-stock VHS uncut episodes of "Big Baby Scam" (on "Stinkier Stories"
I have the Stinkier Stories VHS and unfortunately "Big Baby Scam" is cut on that too. The scene with Grandpa whistling in the bathtub is definitely missing on the video. I was very disappointed when I first watched it. The only uncut video I have of this episode is a VHS that I taped off of TV over 10 years ago. Is "Haunted House" on VHS?
Old 10-14-04, 06:20 PM

I picked it up at Wherehouse FYE $29.99. I traded some dvd's that Blockbuster wouldn't take because it wasn't "in their computers" and got $19 for 4 titles. That and a $7 mail in rebate this week makes a pretty good deal.
Old 10-15-04, 03:03 PM

I picked this up at Futureshop today, it had the bonus disc, I remember watching these back in like grade 3/4, they were great.
Old 10-16-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up mine at Futureshop yesterday, it had the bonus disc also.
Old 10-16-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Question.. I just saw one of the Adult Party Cartoons of Ren & Stimpy called Firedogs and pretty much hated it. Is there a chance I would still like the first two seasons of R&S or is it very similar in terms of material?
Old 10-16-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Adult Party eps are absolute CRAP. The first two seasons are classic.

The 'new' episodes are just gross and tasteless.

JP
Old 10-16-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JP5683
The Adult Party eps are absolute CRAP. The first two seasons are classic.

The 'new' episodes are just gross and tasteless.

JP
Okay, phew. Seeing that pretty much scared me away from considering the first two seasons for a minute because I've heard people mention that those seasons also relied heavily on body functions/immature humor.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.