Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

One/Only Evil Dead Series Versions thread (merged in effect thread)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

One/Only Evil Dead Series Versions thread (merged in effect thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xage
After presenting to them a a spcial code I got from customer service rep from Blockbuster regional office/Blockbuster Online, the store manager confirm and called the regional office first then afterwards they immediately charge me $19.99 + tax.

Well I wouldnt be hesitating spending that amount, afterall its a sure great catch and it was sold to me even though its not for sale .
Doesn't Blockbuster, now that they don't have "Late Fees", let you "buy" any DVD that they have available for rent? Or did you get a hold of an unopened one that was never released for rental?
Old 03-04-06, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
Doesn't Blockbuster, now that they don't have "Late Fees", let you "buy" any DVD that they have available for rent? Or did you get a hold of an unopened one that was never released for rental?

It looks like new, it wasnt even picked up along the rental rack, the store manager picked it up inside a metal drawer which was located inside a stock room. The manager told me, that it was not supposed to be sold directly but since I contacted their regional office she was suprised.

The DVD comes with an insert (similar to the Evil Dead: Book of the Dead), though has no security stickers with it.

Last edited by xage; 03-04-06 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-04-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

hey xage, i looked around town for a copy the last few days, and not having any luck. Could you email me and explain how you got corporate to tell you where it was.
Old 03-05-06, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i saw that blockbuster edition years ago, maybe when it first appeared on blockbuster rental shelves. i wouldn't bother trying to track it down. the features are the same as the BOTD, the only thing you're paying for is a silly sleeve variant. and with HDDVD looming, you'll soon end up with a pile of legacy editions of a title that'll surely be recycled by the kind folks at Anchor Bay.
Old 03-12-06, 01:08 PM
Banned

I thought I would not be seeing another person who owns the Blockbuster Limited Edition Evil Dead. My goodness gracious, you got all region1?

How much you got yours? I got mine a couple of years ago battling for buid and won it $175.00, saw it at other auction sited long ago averaging at $100 low. I have no regrets since its a real hard to find item.

But I was suprised, I thought I got all Evil Dead until I saw yours.

Excellent collection there.

You are one sick evil dead freak

Im drowning in envy here!

Xage's Evil Dead R1 DVD Collection

Evil Dead / Evil Dead II- Dead By Dawn / Army of Darkness

The Books Of The Dead - Original and Re-release

Evil Dead - 1999 Anchorbay Release in 4 different DVD Art *

Evil Dead - 1999 Anchorbay DVD in a Lunchbox and Neca Lunchbox Limited #out of 5000 **

Army of Darkness: BoomStick Edition - 2003 Anchorbay Release ***

Army if Darkness - 1999-2000 Anchorbay #d Limited Edition - Rare/OOP ****

Evil Dead - Anchorbay 2002 (RENTAL ONLY) Release - Rarest R1 *****

My Evil Dead Collection

footnotes:

* Contrary to early information that there were "5" variations of the 1999 Anchorbay Released, it seems that there were only four "4" (enough to spell E-V-I-L at its spine# ). The set stir a lot of confusion at ebay as the stock photo made available was not even the same cover/art.

** The two released lunchboxes were always been mistaken as the same, but its NOT (One has a DVD in it, the other has a Thermos).

*** Please be aware that the sought after OOP release/version of the "Boomstick Edition" is the one with the "Limited Collectible 8 page Booklet" entitled Join the Army

**** Please take note that there were four #d Limited Edition releases of Army of Darknes. The Hard ones to obtain or the so called "rarer" versions are the ones released in Canada.

- Gold keepcase / Director's Cut limited to (US) #out of 40,000 and (Canada) #out of 5,000
- 2 disc Alpha Case limited to (US) #out of 30,000 and (Canada) #out of 4,000

**** This is an exclusive Blockbuster "Rental Only" Edition and "Not For Sale". Released back in 2002. And what made it so rare was it's limited release of availability to "Corporate" Blockbuster Stores only
Old 03-12-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

I am speechless..

If they plan any other releases, Raimi and Campbell should just friggin' hand-deliver 'em to you for free..
Old 03-12-06, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
CDWow still has the R3 DVD listed for sale:
http://www3.cd-wow.us/detail_results...duct_code=4909
I just got my R3 Army of Darkness yesterday and the picture/audio is amazing! Thanks for posting that link.
Old 03-14-06, 12:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Eric D.
I just got my R3 Army of Darkness yesterday and the picture/audio is amazing! Thanks for posting that link.
Eric, How does it look like? picture please
Old 03-14-06, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Xage, you are the sole reason we have so many Evil Dead re-releases.
Old 03-14-06, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jake_spade
This one's probably best answered by the folks over at DVDBeaver.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/army.htm

They do comprehensive DVD comparisons, including screen captures and bitrate comparisons.

"No competition here in the image clarity department. The R3 MGM disc wins hands down. Color though may prove to be more true in the Anchor Bay versions although skin tones seem fairly consistent in all three. Shadow delineation and detail in darker scenes is excellent in the MGM. The AB versions looks cropped on all four sides in some scenes and even zoomed in others. The MGM version sports the best 5.1 mix I've heard for this movie, and I know, I've got 4 dvds and 2 laserdisc versions of AOD! Kudos to MGM for putting such great work into this release.
Old 03-14-06, 01:23 PM

I got to agree, that this is the best released AOD version out there! Too bad it wasnt released in R1.

Originally Posted by clappj
This one's probably best answered by the folks over at DVDBeaver.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/army.htm

They do comprehensive DVD comparisons, including screen captures and bitrate comparisons.

"No competition here in the image clarity department. The R3 MGM disc wins hands down. Color though may prove to be more true in the Anchor Bay versions although skin tones seem fairly consistent in all three. Shadow delineation and detail in darker scenes is excellent in the MGM. The AB versions looks cropped on all four sides in some scenes and even zoomed in others. The MGM version sports the best 5.1 mix I've heard for this movie, and I know, I've got 4 dvds and 2 laserdisc versions of AOD! Kudos to MGM for putting such great work into this release.
Old 03-14-06, 01:27 PM

Thanks for the appreciation.Im sorry you got it at a high price.

I thought I would not be seeing another person who owns the Blockbuster Limited Edition Evil Dead. My goodness gracious, you got all region1?

How much you got yours? I got mine a couple of years ago battling for buid and won it $175.00, saw it at other auction sited long ago averaging at $100 low. I have no regrets since its a real hard to find item.

But I was suprised, I thought I got all Evil Dead until I saw yours.

Excellent collection there.

You are one sick evil dead freak

Im drowning in envy here!
Old 03-14-06, 01:29 PM

Sam, Bruce. If you read this post.. please consider it!

thanks rouge588

Originally Posted by Rogue588

I am speechless..

If they plan any other releases, Raimi and Campbell should just friggin' hand-deliver 'em to you for free..
Old 03-14-06, 01:30 PM

Thanks fincher fan, but I give the credit to the Evil Dead Fans in this Forum.

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Xage, you are the sole reason we have so many Evil Dead re-releases.
Old 03-14-06, 03:06 PM

That best way that I can describe it is by directing you to the same link that clappj posted . That's what made me take the plunge and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 03-14-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric D.
That best way that I can describe it is by directing you to the same link that clappj posted . That's what made me take the plunge and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
The DVDbeaver comparison is even too kind on the R1 director's cut, as a lot of the re-insterted scenes later in the film are muddy as hell on the R1, and the difference with the R3 is even more staggering.

Check out the 4th comparison on this review page:
http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/a...-releases.html

Or check out the pics in this forum thread:
http://www.dvdforum.nu/forum/index.a...=72559&forum=3
Old 03-15-06, 02:15 AM

unfortunately the setback is that the best edition of Army Of Darkness (only) can be found in a different region format.
Old 03-15-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

xage, why is Region coding still an issue? there's so many hacks for dvdrom or players to overcome this. don't tell me you're R1 snobby, 'cuz if you are, you're missing so much out there! the superior R3 can be had for $10.
Old 03-15-06, 09:06 PM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by darmok
xage, why is Region coding still an issue? there's so many hacks for dvdrom or players to overcome this. don't tell me you're R1 snobby, 'cuz if you are, you're missing so much out there! the superior R3 can be had for $10.
Can you point me in the direction of where it can be had for $10?

And xage, I finally remembered while I was home, here's the UPC for the Evil Dead lunchbox with the VHS: 0 13131 20963 1
Old 03-15-06, 09:38 PM
AOD

Originally Posted by joltman
Can you point me in the direction of where it can be had for $10?

And xage, I finally remembered while I was home, here's the UPC for the Evil Dead lunchbox with the VHS: 0 13131 20963 1
For a mere $3.95 more it can be yours....and the picture is VASTLY superior to any R1 release.

Old 03-16-06, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AOD
For a mere $3.95 more it can be yours....and the picture is VASTLY superior to any R1 release.

That should read $13.95, FYI.
Old 03-16-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by ShagMan
That should read $13.95, FYI.
I think he was saying for $3.95 more than the $10 price initially posted, not that the DVD cost just $3.95.

BTW, you can get the DVD for $10 (specifically $9.95), by first using this link to activate a coupon at CDWOW:
http://www3.cd-wow.us/index.php?affid=14275&pp_nr=1

It takes $4 off their price, as well as $2-$8 off the price of all their other DVDs.
Old 03-16-06, 01:19 PM
AOD

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I think he was saying for $3.95 more than the $10 price initially posted, not that the DVD cost just $3.95.

BTW, you can get the DVD for $10 (specifically $9.95), by first using this link to activate a coupon at CDWOW:
http://www3.cd-wow.us/index.php?affid=14275&pp_nr=1

It takes $4 off their price, as well as $2-$8 off the price of all their other DVDs.
You are correct.
Old 04-01-06, 04:10 PM
Banned

Thanks for the appreciation.Im sorry you got it at a high price.
don't feel sorry. It is my crown jewel!

feel sorry to all of us, no one can compete with your Evil Dead
Old 04-05-06, 06:00 PM

Jake Dude, I dont have the R3 AOD therefore there is still a version (even if its not R1) which others have and I dont. And its an advantage for them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.