Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

One/Only Evil Dead Series Versions thread (merged in effect thread)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

One/Only Evil Dead Series Versions thread (merged in effect thread)

Old 03-01-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wonder what the rent and do not return price will be....Any inserts?
Old 03-02-06, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
That is a good idea, I never thought of that. But would that make you be able to obtain the dvd case and insert?

Yeah, it comes with an insert, same as the book of the dead 1 insert.
Old 03-02-06, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yah, you just have to go back after they have charged your credit card and ask for it. I have told managers in advance that I was going to not return it, and they have held the case back for me.
Old 03-02-06, 02:12 AM

Well that would be helpful for those who are interested to obtain the Evil Dead "rental only" release.

Nevertheless, I dont think it will diminish the "Rare" value of it. As per advise by the Blockbuster customer rep from their regional office, they told me that the said DVD runs around 1 to 2 per "corporate" chain.
Old 03-02-06, 08:02 AM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by xage
** The two released lunchboxes were always been mistaken as the same, but its NOT (One has a DVD in it, the other has a Thermos).
Thought you might like to know that there is another version of the lunchbox, one which included an Evil Dead VHS. This is the one I have, I can post pictures of it when I get home if you would like.
Also, there was an Army of Darkness lunchbox, but I think that one only came with a Thermos, which I also have.
Old 03-02-06, 09:45 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 902 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
you can usually buy the ones you rent for a little more a couple days after it is supposed to be returned, it's listed on the reciept, or is this the "do not return" thing?
Old 03-02-06, 09:46 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 902 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by joltman
Thought you might like to know that there is another version of the lunchbox, one which included an Evil Dead VHS. This is the one I have, I can post pictures of it when I get home if you would like.
Also, there was an Army of Darkness lunchbox, but I think that one only came with a Thermos, which I also have.
uh oh! Xage...you don't have the complete collection! you should be ashamed!!
Old 03-02-06, 10:17 AM

Yeah, but that comes with a VHS, so it really wouldn't fit with his collection of DVDs, now would it?
Old 03-02-06, 11:20 AM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by ignition
Yeah, but that comes with a VHS, so it really wouldn't fit with his collection of DVDs, now would it?
The only reason I put it is because he specifically listed the lunchbox with the thermos, so I thought he might like to know about them too.
Old 03-02-06, 11:30 AM

Yup, I learned also about the Lunchbox with VHS. 2 things that made it unique compare to the Lunchbox with DVD are:

1. The UPC#
2. The sticker package that states - "DVD"
Old 03-02-06, 02:33 PM

Joltman, care to share the UPC# of your Evil Dead VHS in a Lunchbox

The Evil Dead DVD in a Lunchbox' UPC# is 013131066791 (similar to Anchorbay Jewel Case 1999 release - 4 varian dvd/packaging art )

Xage's Evil Dead R1 DVD Collection

Evil Dead / Evil Dead II- Dead By Dawn / Army of Darkness

The Books Of The Dead - Original and Re-release

Evil Dead - 1999 Anchorbay Release in 4 different DVD Art *

Evil Dead - 1999 Anchorbay DVD in a Lunchbox and Neca Lunchbox Limited #out of 5000 **

Army of Darkness: BoomStick Edition - 2003 Anchorbay Release ***

Army if Darkness - 1999-2000 Anchorbay #d Limited Edition - Rare/OOP ****

Evil Dead - Anchorbay 2002 (RENTAL ONLY) Release - Rarest R1 *****

My Evil Dead Collection

footnotes:

* Contrary to early information that there were "5" variations of the 1999 Anchorbay Released, it seems that there were only four "4" (enough to spell E-V-I-L at its spine# ). The set stir a lot of confusion at ebay as the stock photo made available was not even the same cover/art.

** The two released lunchboxes were always been mistaken as the same, but its NOT (One has a DVD in it *with UPC#013131066791*, the other has a Thermos).

*** Please be aware that the sought after OOP release/version of the "Boomstick Edition" is the one with the "Limited Collectible 8 page Booklet" entitled Join the Army

**** Please take note that there were four #d Limited Edition releases of Army of Darknes. The Hard ones to obtain or the so called "rarer" versions are the ones released in Canada.

- Gold keepcase / Director's Cut limited to (US) #out of 40,000 and (Canada) #out of 5,000
- 2 disc Alpha Case limited to (US) #out of 30,000 and (Canada) #out of 4,000

**** This is an exclusive Blockbuster "Rental Only" Edition and "Not For Sale". Released back in 2002. And what made it so rare was it's limited release of availability to "Corporate" Blockbuster Stores only
Old 03-02-06, 06:40 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I sticked to R1 Evil Dead stuff for now.

Not yet venturing into the multi-region thing... because it would be another long journey especially for the Evil Deads that are way too OOP (Evil Dead Japan for example) and hard to get.
The Region 3 Army of Darkness is worth the search. It has all the director's cut material and it wasn't sourced from a crappy VHS tape. It looks great. Sadly though it is OOP.

As far as Evil Dead merch goes do you have the shot glasses??

--Ian
Old 03-02-06, 07:44 PM

Yeah, I agree with you on the R3 MGM Army of Darkness, the best AOD there is in terms of PQ and SQ.

No other Evil Dead Merch on my end, only DVDs.

Thanks
Old 03-02-06, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Yocke
I've never heard of the Evil Dead 1 lunchbox. Who made it? When was it released? Have any pictures?
check page 4...
Old 03-02-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian_H
The Region 3 Army of Darkness is worth the search. It has all the director's cut material and it wasn't sourced from a crappy VHS tape. It looks great. Sadly though it is OOP.
CDWow still has the R3 DVD listed for sale:
http://www3.cd-wow.us/detail_results...duct_code=4909
Old 03-03-06, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,402 Likes on 1,027 Posts
I was wondering recently, is that Region 3 AoD a "real" region 3 or a "wink, wink" region 3? Meaning I could play it in my US bought DVD player?

tks
Old 03-03-06, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I was wondering recently, is that Region 3 AoD a "real" region 3 or a "wink, wink" region 3? Meaning I could play it in my US bought DVD player?

tks
Its a legit Region 3 DVD. And for you to play it, you should need a multi-regional DVD player
Old 03-04-06, 03:22 PM

What is so rare about the Blockbuster editon of Evil Dead? Are there exclusive special features that can be found nowhere else or something?
Old 03-04-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric D.
What is so rare about the Blockbuster editon of Evil Dead? Are there exclusive special features that can be found nowhere else or something?
The Blockbuster DVD doesn't have any exclusive features. It does have all the special features that are on the Book of the Dead edition, but in an aramay case. What makes it rare is that it was released to only corporate owned (not franchise) Blockbuster stores for rental only. However, just because its rare doesn't mean it's desirable.
Old 03-04-06, 05:07 PM

Thanks Jay! I got the fact that it was only at Blockbuster, but I just didn't know if there was anything more to it. Not worth hunting down then for me.
Old 03-04-06, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Eric D.
Originally Posted by Jay G.
The Blockbuster DVD doesn't have any exclusive features. It does have all the special features that are on the Book of the Dead edition, but in an aramay case. What makes it rare is that it was released to only corporate owned (not franchise) Blockbuster stores for rental only. However, just because its rare doesn't mean it's desirable.

Not desireable? Was it because its not sold, not found in Amazon/Ebay for value basis?

I tend to disagree with the "Desirable" Factor. Why?

For an Evil Dead Collectors/Completist, this was left out of the picture (No One Knows -maybe a few- About this Release, until now). Most were focused on owning those which were commercialized (ex. The Anchorbay Evil Dead DVD in a Lunchbox, The Book of The Dead (1st release), The Limited Evil Dead 2 Tin (#d of 50,000), The Confusing Army of Darkness Boomstick Edition, The Army of Darknesss #d Limited Editions) which sells now a days each at above $40range.

For me, I got challenge with the "Rental Only" and Not For Sale for this release (It triggered my Desire). Well, I admit I went through some steps to obtain it. And thankful to learn that there were some ways to obtain it easily (Thanks Cameron for the posted advise). Nevertheless, the process of obtaining one is still limited and hard, since its only available in Blockbuster Corporate Stores (And believe me guys, not all Blockbuster Corporate Stores has this available for rent). And this release invalidates that the "Book Of The Dead1" held the only best technical aspect for Evil Dead 1 release (count this one in as the same).

Bottomline, it satisfies my Desire and its a Priceless Possession for me.

Evil Dead (Rental Version) vs Evil Dead (THX)

Front

Back

(Click Thumbnails to Enlarge)
Old 03-04-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tend to disagree with the "Desirable" Factor. Why?

For an Evil Dead Collectors/Completist,
My bad, I should've said "just because it's rare doesn't mean it's neccessarily desirable." Obviously for a collector or completist, it'd be desireable. However, Eric was asking in terms of special features, which the Blockbuster only matches the Book of the Dead version, and doesn't exceed. For most people, who are probably looking for one version of the film with the best selection of features, the Blockbuster version probably isn't worth the extra effort required to acquire it.

Last edited by Jay G.; 03-04-06 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-04-06, 07:20 PM

Not desireable? Was it because its not sold, not found in Amazon/Ebay for value basis?

I tend to disagree with the "Desirable" Factor.
Well in Jay's defense, he was just answering my question and to me this version is not really "desirable" because it offers nothing new content wise. But obviously this opinion differs from person to person, so no one is wrong .
Old 03-04-06, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Xage, out of curiosity, what does the disc art look like for the
Evil Dead (Rental Version) vs Evil Dead (THX) vs Evil Dead (Book of the Dead). I'm wondering if Anchor Bay simply put the Book of the Dead DVD in the Rental Case, or if they changed the artwork on the disc as well.
Old 03-04-06, 09:13 PM

Book of the Dead's DVD Cover Art is the same as the Rental Version both were in color Red ( A typical Achorbay Evil Dead sales strategy )

While the THX version is color Blue

Last edited by xage; 03-04-06 at 09:19 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.