Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Order Freaks and Geeks: Limited Edition HERE

Old 01-18-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Well, they finally announced it. I thought it warranted a new thread so anyone who wants it can find it: http://www.freaksandgeeksdvd.com/
Price is $120 and includes shipping. Says it ships the week of April 12.

Here's the info from the website:
This special edition was produced by us, and man was it a crazy amount of work. And we thought begging someone to release the DVD was hard, try actually putting the DVD together. It features everything that will be on the box set which will be in stores April 6, plus two additional DVDs packed with material specially selected for the hard-core fan. We put it all in a strangely high-quality high school yearbook. It costs a bit more than the one that will be in-stores, but it has everything you want...and maybe even more. If you want more, don't ask us, we're exhausted.

We are never comfortable asking you to buy anything, but we are making an exception because we are so excited about the show finally coming out and we really want people to see it. Remember, we make nothing on this. It is truly one of those rare occurrences when something is done out of...dare we say it, love. For you, the show, the experience. We hope you enjoy it.

Old 01-18-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
wahoo, sounds like ill be getting the special limited edition, damn never thought ide spend this much on a dvd set
Old 01-18-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this site legit?
Old 01-18-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How many people are going to buy this? I love the show, but I'm just not sure. It sounds great, and I'm a huge fan, but once I've seen everything, I've seen it. It's not like, say, a director's Rated R cut of a PG-13 film--something I'll watch over and over.

I just can't help to think after three months, I'll think to myself, "the special features were great and all, but was it worth a whole extra $60.00."

I'm just not sure.
Old 01-18-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,235 Posts
Brilliant. Just placed my order.

Originally posted by RaMMaR
Is this site legit?
The domain name of the secure checkout site is owned by Sony, so I'd assume...
Old 01-18-04, 07:45 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
What's the MSRP on the retail edition?
Old 01-18-04, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,235 Posts
Originally posted by JasonFliegel
What's the MSRP on the retail edition?
$69.99, I believe.
Old 01-18-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RaMMaR
Is this site legit?
If you'd rather, just go to the official freaksandgeeks.com site. From there, you click a link that takes you to the freaksandgeeksdvd.com site to order. It's legit.

Pacman2006--I know. Since the regular edition will retail for even less than the MSRP, the deluxe edition is basically double the price--for 2 more discs.

However, I think it may be worth it, and here's why: on the forums, the creators admit that they are creating this "deluxe edition" themselves and will only make it available for a few months. After that, it's gone. Even if you watch it and then don't want it anymore, I have a feeling it'll bring a pretty penny on ebay in a year from now. Then you can always grab the original set.
Old 01-18-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just posted by Paul Feig (the creator) on the official site:
Anyway, just wanted to let you know that these DVDs really rock. I got to see the first two discs the other day and was really blown away. Judd and Andrew have done an amazing job getting all the extra clips together and making them look great, as has Richard Williams, who is putting all this together. I can safely say that you will not be disappointed when you get these discs and put them up on your TVs. I can't wait to get a copy myself.

As for the special edition and the yearbook, it's all going very well. There's so many cool pictures that were taken during production of the show that the hardest part is trying to get all the good ones in. But we will. And the two extra discs in the special edition will be pretty amazing. There's simply tons of stuff. And yet it's not like those albums that feature alternate takes of famous songs that when you hear you say to yourself, "Man, no wonder they didn't use that version" and then you feel all depressed and decide that you're tired of that band and you don't listen to them for a while. I think you'll all be pleased with the extra stuff you'll get on our DVD. Sure, you may feel a Freaks and Geeks overload after it all, but like a successful food recipe, you'll be returning to it again soon after you've digested it all. (Man, now you know why I haven't been posting -- my posts are getting a bit annoying. Sorry. I guess I'm just very excited about the DVDs and it brings out my corny side.)
Old 01-18-04, 09:05 PM

It's $120 + sales tax in many states, although shipping seems to be free.

The question is, if you have to wait until April (at least), do you get billed right away or only when it ships? That's a long time to have them sit on that much money.
Old 01-18-04, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just pre-ordered it and I'm also curious to know if we get charged when it ships out.Can't wait to get this set :-()
Old 01-18-04, 09:18 PM

This is one of those "I don't care what it costs, when they bill me, or when it ships" items for me. I MUST HAVE IT!!!! This is on my top 5 shows ever. I lived both the freak and geek side of this show. It's like they picked people and moments from my life and made a show around it. I cant wait. Already placed my order and will not move from this spot till I get them.
Old 01-18-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great point, Jury. The only thing that makes me weary to purchase this NOW is because the creator himself said they will email people who participated in the petition to get the show on dvd--and will email those people once it's available. I think he said around March.

It looks legit, but it also seems WAYYYYYY too early.
Old 01-18-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by glitch
This is one of those "I don't care what it costs, when they bill me, or when it ships" items for me.
Spoken like someone who clearly didn't order My So-Called Life from anotheruniverse.com
Old 01-18-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by PacMan2006
Great point, Jury. The only thing that makes me weary to purchase this NOW is because the creator himself said they will email people who participated in the petition to get the show on dvd--and will email those people once it's available. I think he said around March.

It looks legit, but it also seems WAYYYYYY too early.
Well, if you're concerned about its legitimacy, just check out the official freaksandgeeks.com website and you'll see that the creators themselves are the ones announcing this set and this website. I think they just haven't constructed the email yet.
Old 01-18-04, 10:07 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
$120 sounds like a small price to pay for 18 hour long episodes with TONS of hours of extras.
Old 01-18-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Geez, this may be a more limited release than we thought. I asked the creator if I could wait a while to order since I'll be moving shortly and here was his response (on the official site):

Send it to a friend or relative. I think we are going to give people on the petition and the web site a month or so to order it before opening it up a little wider, so I wouldn't wait too long. You never know how high the interest level will be. If you have a real situation e mail me and I will make sure you get one.
Old 01-18-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know if people got this the first time, but the DVD's are going to be inside of a huge yearbook. So they won't fit on your DVD shelf since basically they come in a big book.

I emailed the creator too, and he said, "The DVD's fit into the yearbook, so you'll have to find a new shelf."
Old 01-19-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Has anyone here noticed that when you try to buy the deluxe edition, and you click the checkout button and are ready to put in all your info, the site's URL is "www.shopbootlegs.com...."

Whats with this??
Old 01-19-04, 12:06 AM
Banned

To anyone apprehensive about the "shopbootlegs.com" domain name: I can assure you it's legit. Ben Folds is a Sony artist. He recently released two solo EP's and another EP by "The Bens" (Folds, Kweller, Lee). I placed my order for "The Bens" EP at attackedbyplastic.com (which was registered to CEC Entertainment, the agency that reps Folds). The order was forwarded to shopbootlegs.com, and the order was promptly fulfilled by the Sony Online Store. Worry not, it's legit. Essentially, this case is identical. The artist (Folds and CEC in the first case, Feig and Apatow in the second) set up the sale and Sony fulfills it. If the shipping on the Folds CD's is any indication, the "Freaks and Geeks" DVD's will arrive remarkably fast as soon as they're available. Folds offered different shipping methods and I got all my CD's in 3 or 4 days even though I selected standard.

Last edited by GuruAskew; 01-19-04 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-19-04, 11:45 AM

Ownership of "Shopbootlegs.com"
Old 01-19-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by bboisvert
Spoken like someone who clearly didn't order My So-Called Life from anotheruniverse.com

I think I am going to wait for this to hit stores. I want to pick this up, but he cost is just way too high IMO. Yes I guess I paid that for MSCL initially (of course I actually paid about $230 since i never got one of my overcharges fixed ) but Freaks and Geeks doesn't mean nearly as much to me as MSCL does/did.

I will of course regret this when I see these Limited Editions selling on ebay for 400 dollars . I figure I will be able to get this at BB or online for like $45-55, if not less, so I will wait.
Old 01-19-04, 03:15 PM

I just ordered the limited set.
There's no way I wasn't going to get this.

And it's not just because of the show and the wealth of extras.

Simply put, if we don't support creators who put this much effort into their product, then why should they do it?

I vote for creator-driven DVD, not sales-driven.
Old 01-19-04, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by NYHOFSTRA
I just ordered the limited set.
There's no way I wasn't going to get this.

And it's not just because of the show and the wealth of extras.

Simply put, if we don't support creators who put this much effort into their product, then why should they do it?

I vote for creator-driven DVD, not sales-driven.
I agree. I've just ordered a copy for myself too. I loved this show when it was shown over here in the UK on E4 and have been following the news about its possible dvd release with interest. I agree that the limited edition set is expensive, especially in comparison with other tv show boxsets, however as a fan I have to support what the creators are doing - if this means paying more for the dvds then so be it.
Old 01-19-04, 05:01 PM

I have been told by someone working on the F&G DVD release the following regarding the Limited Edition.

There will only be one pressing of it. Enough to cover the pre-orders and a few extra.

It will NEVER be available at Retail Outlets. Those thinking they'll wait and get it cheaper will be very disappointed.

The Special Edition was made as a Thank You to all the fans who signed the petition that got the DVD made.
It is designed as a real collectors item, to be extremely hard to get, and retain it's value and hopefully be worth much more in time.

I am going to buy as many as I can afford as these are going to be worth a fortune on Ebay!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.