Community
Search

Order Freaks and Geeks: Limited Edition HERE

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by supersizedgeek
I have been told by someone working on the F&G DVD release the following regarding the Limited Edition.

There will only be one pressing of it. Enough to cover the pre-orders and a few extra.

It will NEVER be available at Retail Outlets. Those thinking they'll wait and get it cheaper will be very disappointed.

The Special Edition was made as a Thank You to all the fans who signed the petition that got the DVD made.
It is designed as a real collectors item, to be extremely hard to get, and retain it's value and hopefully be worth much more in time.

I am going to buy as many as I can afford as these are going to be worth a fortune on Ebay!
Me thinks SUPERSIZEDGEEK is a marketing professional...perhaps working for Sony. Please stop manipulating the minds of these young and impressionable consumers.
Old 01-19-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never seen this show...but tempted to buy this set. This looks like one of the best ever dvds produced.
Old 01-19-04, 08:01 PM

damn $120 plus sales tax! hmm...i dont have that right now!! But damn i want this. What to do, what to do.......
Old 01-19-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The Maniac
damn $120 plus sales tax! hmm...i dont have that right now!! But damn i want this. What to do, what to do.......
Just do it
Old 01-20-04, 12:21 AM

Hello Wannabe

I am certainly not a "marketing professional working for Sony" but I guess I can see why you could think that.

I posted my previous comments because I am a huge fan of the show and am very excited Freaks and Geeks is finally coming out on DVD!
Everything I wrote I believe to be true and I want to spread the word to the hardcore fans.

Those familiar with the freaksandgeeks.com site know that the fans participated in the contents and design of these DVD's.
There are approx. 40,000 signatures on a petition to get F&G's on DVD. It was thanks to this petition that the DVD's got made.
We were told on the freaksandgeeks.com board months ago there would be a $120 version for the Internet fans.
The Special Edition was made to thank these fans.

These are the facts as I was told them.
Everyone that signed that petition will be offered a chance to buy it, as will anyone that finds out about it through boards like this, and that's it.
It is not intended for the general public or the casual fan.
If you haven't ordered it by the pre-order cut off day you probably will not get a copy.
There will only be one pressing of this.
This will never be available at retail outlets.

Believe me or not. Check it out for yourselves.

Maybe it's the Geek in me but I'm buying a few of these!

The regular 6 disc version is the one Sony want you to buy.
Old 01-20-04, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Has anyone tried to pre-order this yet? Once I filled out all my info, and clicked "review order" it immediately took me to the original screen advertising the deluxe edition dvd with a button stating "buy now."

So I'm unsure if it went through or not. For those that pre-ordered it, what screen(s) did you see after you clicked "review order?"

Lastly, Supersizegeek, how many of these things are you really going to buy? I mean, your idea sounds great in theory, but it'd suck to buy two or three and realize the demand isn't as great as you thought it'd be. Afterall, the show was cancelled for a reason. The fanbase out there is loyal, but apparently small.
Old 01-20-04, 07:02 AM

If your order went through, you receive a confirmation screen.

Three minutes after I placed my order, I got a call from the fraud department of my credit card company, checking on the order, because of the price and my lack of activity on the card I used.
Old 01-20-04, 10:23 AM

Hi PacMan2006

I ordered 3 of these as it was all I could afford.
I am hoping they go up in value just like all the Criterion titles that suddenly cost fortunes on Ebay as soon as they get deleted from their catalog.

I think the fan base for this show will surprise you. In a recent article in Entertainment Weekly, Freaks and Geeks was voted the most eagerly awaited TV show not out on DVD. It has also headed many similar polls on TV related websites and shops like Amazon.
I believe there will be an extensive promotion campaign for the 6 disc version of F&G in April when it's released. Also two of its stars have films out about that time (Spiderman 2 and Scooby Doo 2) and Linda Cardellini has already mentioned it in interviews she has done recently.
As long as Shout Factory, the company making this, keep their promise of only doing one pressing of this to supply all the pre-orders I believe these will be solid investments.
Old 01-20-04, 12:09 PM

Sorry to ask again, but do they bill right away or when it ships?
Old 01-20-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I mean, your idea sounds great in theory, but it'd suck to buy two or three and realize the demand isn't as great as you thought it'd be. Afterall, the show was cancelled for a reason. The fanbase out there is loyal, but apparently small.
Seems to me like the point is to buy if before some of those people in said fanbase can, and then charge more to all the people who are fans but didn't hear about the set before they were all sold out to people who were speculating on how expensive the box would get.

However, I do think that the people who are the hardcore fans will be contacted by way of the petition, so most of the people who are interested in this will buy it before it's printed. Especially if, as somebody said, they're basing the run on how many orders they get.
Old 01-20-04, 04:03 PM

Yes id like to know too!! Anyone? Do they bill you right away or when it ships???
Old 01-20-04, 11:16 PM

Freaks and Geeks was an amazing show, and, I would really love to own the limited-edition DVD set. It looks absolutely fantastic! It's so expensive, but seems worth it. I just visited http://www.freaksandgeeksDVD.com to go through the ordering process. I had entered in all of my info and gotten to the Review Order page. The page said the order would ship on April 6. It doesn't make sense, given that the press release says the limited-edition DVD ships April 12. Then there's the issue of whether your credit card is charged when you place the order or when it ships. Rather confusing. Has anyone found out at what stage your credit card is charged? With a price tag of $120+, I really want to be sure of all the important details.
Old 01-21-04, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
More comments from the creators on the official site, in threads:

How many special editions will be made?
We are still talking about how many to make. It depends on the level of interest, but we will keep the number low in comparison to the retail set which will be sold for the next five years.
Various questions answered:
What is the duration of the extras included on the disks with the shows?

ABOUT TWENTY MINUTES PER DISC. SO WE HAVE TWO HOURS OF EXTRAS ON THE RETAIL SET, NOT INCLUDING THE TWENTY NINE COMMENTARIES. THE 8 DISC SET HAS AN ADDITIONAL SIX TO SEVEN HOURS OF EXTRAS.

Are the disks dual or single layer?

I DON'T KNOW.

Are the disks used to their full potential?

DOES THAT MEAN DID WE USE UP ALL THE AVAILABLE SPACE? IF SO, WE USED UP ALL THE SPACE UP TO THE POINT WHERE THEY SAID THE QUALITY WOULD GO DOWN IF WE ADDED ANYMORE.

In many ways I regret having to ask these questions, particularly since I know a lot of work has gone in to getting these programmes to us on DVD in their intended state, with original music.
Unfortunately recent bad experiences with TV shows on DVD now force me to question every release. Quality of many releases has slipped to what I consider to be sub-VHS quality.

WE USED THE SAME PEOPLE WHO DO THE AUTHORING FOR LORD OF THE RINGS. IT IS VERY HIGH QUALITY. WE HAVE THE ORIGINAL MIX AND A FIVE POINT ONE MIX. I SAW IT AND IT LOOKS AND SOUNDS BETTER THAN EVER. WE WOULDN'T PUT IT OUT ANY OTHER WAY.
Do I get charged now or when it ships?
I think this is how it works. They take your info now, but don't charge you till later.
Someone posted that they've already been charged and he said:
I will look into it.
Old 01-21-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love the note about the 5.1 mix. Cool!
Old 01-21-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another update about the features, this one by TVShowsonDVD.com. They also address the web address issue:
We have information for you now about the Freaks and Geeks - Limited Edition "Yearbook" version of the upcoming Complete Series release. This very special release contains all the episodes and extras included in the 6-DVD retail edition, but also includes 2 more discs chock-full of extra extras, bringing the DVD count to 8. And it's also packaged in a nifty-looking "yearbook" packaging:

As you can see, that's very different than the retail packaging. And it's noticably more expensive, too, clocking in at $120, including the cost of domestic shipping. Due to the limited availability of this version, and the cost, it will only be available directly from the Freaks And Geeks website. Judd Apatow and Paul Feig, show creators and the driving forces behind both DVD releases, assure the fans that there is no profit to them on this item, and that it was done as a labor of love for their show.

So, what do you get for the extra money? Besides the pictured 80-page yearbook (embossed and with the pictured foil-stamp), which is FULL of remembrances of the show, the 6 hours of additional supplements on the two extra discs are:

3 live "table reads" of some of the best episodes
A 1-hour Q&A with Judd, Paul, and the entire cast at the Museum of Television and Radio in L.A., shot days before the show was cancelled
Tons more auditions, deleted scenes, promos, and outtakes
Some of the producers' favorite scenes in the raw footage from a single camera perspective
Guidance Counselor Jeff Rosso & Feedback live in concert
The full original Electronic Press Kit (EPK), filled with interviews with the cast and crew
A script that was never shot
A special music and photo gallery
Surprise Easter Eggs!
Even more behind-the-scenes footage edited by Jason Segal and Martin Starr
...and other things that are weird and hard to describe

Hey, that last one sounds intriguing! You can place your orders right now by clicking here. This is a Region 1 DVD, but International orders are available to be placed for an additional charge. Note that placing an order takes you to a secure shopping page that gives people some pause...the URL is "Shopbootlegs.com". Based on that, some people have questioned whether this is a legit release? Let us assure you that it is. That URL is actually owned by Sony, and has been regularly used for special sales items of this nature before. Relax, order it, and enjoy!
Old 01-21-04, 12:46 PM

Sounds like they've been reading this thread!
Old 01-21-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$120...OK, that set has to be mine.
Old 01-22-04, 09:40 AM

Thanks for posting that information, JuryDuty! I'd better go order it now 'cause I know I'll regret it big-time if I don't.
Old 01-23-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow--ok DDD has F&G regular edition for only $46.54--that's $73.46 less than the Fan edition. So I guess we're paying about $35 each for those 2 extra discs (more if you had tax).

I don't regret my decision--I can now watch the extra discs and always ebay the set for a profit, I'm sure, and probably pay for the regular edition since it's so cheap.
Old 01-24-04, 09:42 AM

Is this yearbook packaging the actual size of a yearbook? Or is just shaped like a book, like the original LAWRENCE OF ARABIA release?

Last edited by veloce; 01-25-04 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-25-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JuryDuty
Wow--ok DDD has F&G regular edition for only $46.54--that's $73.46 less than the Fan edition. So I guess we're paying about $35 each for those 2 extra discs (more if you had tax).

*snip*
Hmmm, I know that I'll regret not having the extra discs if I don't get this special fan edition, but yes, what a price difference!

I received the email yesterday regarding the availability of the special limited edition. Now, I must go take the plunge.
Old 01-25-04, 03:52 PM

Having worked in e-commerce for some time, I can say it's customary to charge a customer's credit card when a product ships, not when it's ordered. That's how most online merchants do it. Of course, I can't say for sure that that's the case with the F&F set, since I haven't checked it out yet myself, but just thought I'd throw in my $0.02.
Old 01-25-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I will definitely get the limited-edition. I've asked how many will be made and Judd Apatow emailed that they are still deciding on the number. I'm guessing they see how many orders they get the first month and go from there.
Old 01-26-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by veloce
Is this yearbook packaging the actual size of a yearbook? Or is just shaped like a book, like the original LAWRENCE OF ARABIA release?
On the freaksorgeeks.com message boards, it sounds like it's the size of an actual yearbook.
Old 01-26-04, 11:01 AM

If it's of any help, I ordered the Limited Edition set over a week ago and my credit card has NOT yet been charged.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.