Order Freaks and Geeks: Limited Edition HERE

Community
Search

Order Freaks and Geeks: Limited Edition HERE

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
New videos have been placed on the F&G home page to show you some of the types of extras included on this release...

http://www.freaksandgeeks.com/otherjunk/videoclips.html
Old 01-27-04, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved the show, but I'm a college student and have been trying to slow down my DVD buying. I can swing the 6-disc set, especially if its going to be around $45. But I can't warrant all that extra money.

I'm sure I'll regret it down the road, but hey--when it all boils down, its just a TV show.
Old 02-09-04, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's the official word about the number of copies made of the SE--directly from the F&G creator on his website:
It is not cheap, but if you love it, and are interested in it then maybe it is worth it. Just remember, this is it for new material from Freaks and Geeks. It is a lot, but it is all there will ever be of the show. I bought lost in translation and it had six deleted scenes/outtakes. We have over eighty and full table readings of three episodes and on and on. So, I think it is worth it if you can afford it and really love the show. That being said, the retail one is packed with stuff too. The eight is for the hard core fan, and since we are only making 25,000 it is a collector's item. But if you are wondering if there is value there in terms of amount of stuff, be assured there is a ton of great stuff.
Old 02-09-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info JuryDuty. Looks like I might end up caving in for the LE. There's always time for the regular if I don't like it.
Old 02-10-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Got this today:

Please ignore this email if you have already gotten it. Paul wrote the name of a product that helps a certain male problem in our last one, and we were blocked by a lot of email programs. That's why we shouldn't work blue. We apologize for being so lame at this, but hopefully you find our lameness charming.

Hey, it's us, Paul and Judd,

Okay, here's the deal. We sent out a very exciting email last week telling you all about the release of the 8 disc DVD Special Limited Edition of "Freaks and Geeks," only to find out that the email was blocked by half the mail services due to issues our tech friends refer to with words like "mail records" and "authenticity checks." But, hopefully, you are now reading this email. (If you're not, then … oh, never mind.)

And if you did receive that old email, keep reading anyway, because there's new information in this one.

Like we said, there is a Special Limited Edition of the "Freaks and Geeks" DVD, available now for pre-order! It is a true limited edition and will only be sold through our website. We are making only 25,000 of them and then that's it. We'll never make them again. We'll break the mold, lock the door, and throw away the key. The Special Limited Edition will not show up on any discount web sites and it will never be sold at a discounted price. It is a true collectible. We swear to you.

Now, there will also be a 6-DVD version available at all the usual retail outlets on April 6th. That one has all the shows and a good amount of extra stuff. But the Special Limited Edition is really cool (and sort of insane, if you get right down to it). The 8-DVD set features everything on the regular version, plus two additional DVDs packed with more than seven hours of bonus material (pretty much everything we had that we considered to be good!). These two extra discs were created exclusively for our hardcore fans. On top of that, we've put it all inside an 80 page McKinley High yearbook that we personally created. It looks just like a yearbook from 1980 and it's packed with tons of behind the scenes photos, essays, and lots of goofy stuff that we know you'll really get a kick out of. It's been a lot of work (you don't know the half of it!), but it's really been a labor of love. Hey, this is our legacy and after making everyone wait so long for these DVDs, do you think we'd just give you something crappy looking?

So, anyway, there it is. It's definitely because of all of you that we were able to get these DVDs made and, because of that, we wanted to make something special for you. This Special Limited Edition is it. We hope you're able to get one and see what we've done. If you can't, no problem. It's definitely a bit pricey. And the regular edition rocks too. But the Special Limited Edition rocks quite a bit harder.

To all our international fans: we are currently unable to sell the DVD directly overseas, because the music is clear for use only in North America. To clear it worldwide would have cost too much money -- which we don't have. We are attempting to address the issue, so all international fans please email [email protected] with the quantity you want. If we are able to supply you, we will contact you very soon.

Thanks for all your continuing support for "Freaks and Geeks." If you want to spend a little more time in F&G land, take a look at this SAT quiz that was put together by one of our freaksandgeeks.com regulars, Kibbles the Rocker. Hey, you weren't looking to get back to work anyway, were you?

Enjoy and thanks!
Judd Apatow & Paul Feig
Old 02-11-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From one of the creators on the F&G website:
I think we will sell out the 25,000 pretty fast. When the press and reviews hit nationally in late March the special editions will disappear. So if you are into the idea of getting it, I wouldn't wait too long just in case.
Old 02-11-04, 12:44 AM

Is it just me, or is 25,000 really not that limited? Wasn't (before the reissue) the Herzog/Kinski set limited to 5,000? It seemed to be available forever at any Borders or Best Buy. Even disregarding the popularity of one against the other I know there's a genuine difference as the Herzog set was available seperately for a long time before the set came out and fans probably bought the earlier releases, but it seems like five times the number of sets coupled with the fact that's only available from one source makes this 25,000 a little high. But hey, I gotta say these extras sound super-neat and I want the set. I'm just a pretty procrastinating guy and would rather wait until the very last minute...
Old 02-11-04, 09:12 AM

This could be why you saw so many Herzogs...

Herzog Kinski box coming out again!!?
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...mited+editions
Old 02-11-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
25000 to me sounds pretty limited--I think some of the Disney Treasures series had as few as 100,000 per title. I didn't watch this show on first-run, but did catch it on syndication, and really liked it. Of course, I caught it about a week before it went off local syndication....
It looks like the retail set has got a shelf price of under 50 bucks online. I'm tempted by the Limited Ed, if partially for an investment [like someone else said, buy it, watch it, sell it later on for the retail version, or better yet, buy two copies, one to keep and one as investment], but yes, 120 bucks is a lot of money. Then again, that's only a gross of 3 million dollars on the Ltd Ed, and Judd Apatow et al did really work their tails off--and responded to fan's requests--in delivering a quality product you can tell they care a lot about, and that should be supported....
Old 02-11-04, 01:36 PM

• If you have any interest in this show
• If you have $130 dollars (w/tax iincluded) to spare
• If you enjoy quality TV
• If you loved the 80s
• If you simply want to laugh

and you don't buy this set, you should never complain about a crappy box set ever again. These guys went way way way out of their way to bring this to us, and we should support them entirely. Unless we show studios that they can make money (or at least break even) on cult TV, we will not get Cult TV
Old 02-11-04, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

NYHOFSTRA.

Those are some of the reasons I ordered the LE a few weeks back. Plus I'm being selfish since I LOVE that show.
Old 02-11-04, 11:04 PM

Urg, so tempting...

I've never seen this show before, but knowing what it's about I'm bound to love it. Now the question is should I waste a good chunk of my part-time paycheck on a blind buy like this? Those words "limited edition" are calling to me...
Old 02-12-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This page answers any questions you might have, including many asked here: http://www.freaksandgeeks.com/dvd/index.html (just click FAQ)
Old 02-12-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The annoying thing for me is that I'm likely moving at the end of April. I don't want to preorder the LE for fear that my order will get "lost". So I may have to hope they don't sell out and order one in early May. Or pay a few more bucks on eBay.
Old 02-12-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^^Just pay for it now, but have them ship it to a friend or family members house. Then you can pick it up there.
Old 02-12-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by PacMan2006
^^Just pay for it now, but have them ship it to a friend or family members house. Then you can pick it up there.
Hmmm... that's not a bad thought. I'll be begging some of those 'friends' to help me move anyway.

Was the question of whether they charge now or when they ship ever resolved?
Old 02-12-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Isn't it, like, a law they can't bill until the product ships?
I think there's some other fine print with that--that can bill immediately if they wre *planning* to ship immediately, but ran out of stock, but then they have to ship within 30 days or give you an accurate ETA, or reverse the charges. But that's the general idea I remember. They can, however, 'authorize' the charge, which puts a 'ghost' charge on your card and may have an effect on your available credit.
Old 02-12-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I paid a while back and they didn't charge me yet...
Old 02-12-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They can, however, 'authorize' the charge, which puts a 'ghost' charge on your card and may have an effect on your available credit.
According to their FAQ, this is what they're doing in this case.

And I don't think the law is the way you said it (though I'm not sure). I remember that when View Askew started selling stuff from their website, they initially charged when stuff shipped, but then they ran into the trouble that too many people had spent the money in the interim, that the credit cards were maxed out over the time in between ordering and shipping (or, at least, there wasn't *enough* money left), and I would think this would be a common problem for e-tailers. (Though I'd fully grant -- even as a View Askew fan -- that that demographic probably skews younger, and other stores may have less of a pronounced problem with it.)
Old 02-13-04, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Info about Disc 1 from the creators:
On the DVD, (which is Disc 1 of 6), there are two commentaries for the first two episodes, and one commentary for the third episode.

There are usually at least three people doing each commentary.

Here is a breakdown of the commentaries on DISC ONE:

Pilot:
Commentary 1: Judd Apatow, Jake Kasdan & Paul Feig
Commentary 2: Samm Levine, Vegan, Humphries and myself

Beers & Weirs:
Commentary 1: Linda Cardellini, Jason Segel, Judd Apatow, Paul Feig, Jake Kasdan, J. Elvis Weinstein
Commentary 2: Bob Daley (John's father), Debbie Hagan (Sarah's mom), Jean St. James (Martin Starr's mother)

Tricks & Treats:
Commentary 1: Paul Feig, John Daley, Martin Starr, Samm Levine & Lea Sheppard
Old 02-13-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JuryDuty
Info about Disc 1 from the creators:
MULTIPLE COMMENTARIES! Holy hell, I'm definitley going to pick up this set, one way or the other.
Old 02-14-04, 06:11 AM

I preordered this pretty early on from Amazon.jp. Glad I did. Lets just hope I get it. It sounds like it's going to be a real collector's item.
Old 02-15-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More posted by one of the creators:
I have been working on my “Index of Historical References,” that goes through the show scene by scene, and offers a little explanation for things that are specific to the period that a contemporary audience might not be tuned into.

Like Bill seeing Reagan kissing a monkey, Harris’ warning about the evil hippies who don’t like Reagan and are going to put poo into fun-size candy bars, feathered hair and big combs, the impact of John Bonham’s death, Elvis dying on the toilet, wacky packs, and parent’s including notes to their children on their lunchbags (which was recommended in a best-selling parenting book of the time).

I’m going to PDF it so people can download it and use it as a reference companion to the show. It’s at 40 pages now and I still have a long way to go. I definitely want to have it done by the time the DVD comes out.

So is it ready yet????????? I can't wait!
I imagine this will be downloadable from the F&G website when the DVDs come out. Pretty cool, eh? It's pretty neat to see the passion these guys have for their work.
Old 02-29-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didnt know if I should make a new thread about this or not:
Did anyone else just get 3 emails from [email protected] that were viruses? I got 3 in the period a few minutes and my anti-virus picked out all all as infected.

Update: Recieved 2 more this morning

Last edited by xfilekr; 02-29-04 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-29-04, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got two but didn't d/l em.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.