Community
Search

Worst Bonus Material Ever

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
hands down this goes out to the Friday the 13th series I believe up till #8

Paramount's extras on all of them I believe are just a theatrical trailer. Sure the movies have great transfers but come on Paramount shoot in some Make Up stuff with Savini, or deleted scenes, or something else. its so bare bones its laughable.
Old 01-27-04, 07:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, the best special feature is "weblinks." I just LOVE putting a CD so I can click and get to the studios website. It's quite difficult for me to simply just type it in.
Old 01-27-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The video on the Suspiria LE DVD is amazingly bad but totally great at the same time so I don't know if it counts.
Old 01-27-04, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by wfujosh
Which DVD says that one? That's nuts!
Check out Dragonslayer. The special features listed include Widescreen (16:9), English Subtitles, and Dolby Digital (5.1 & Surround).

Interestingly enough, it also warns "Special Features Not Rated". LOL
Old 01-28-04, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by kedalto1
I hate production stills. I just watched the movie, no reason to see still images of said movie again as an extra. That's what the pause button is for.
Ever go through the Akira 2-disc set? Over 4500 still frames, storyboards & concept art. You'd be in heaven!
Old 01-28-04, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been reading this thread and enjoying everybody's posts. I have to say, there is one 'special feature' that irks me more than anything else in the world.... it's "And more." Huh?

You see it a lot online at etailers, they list maybe 2 features which are bound to be 16x9 and Dolby, then And more. Thanks for the info!

I believe I've seen And more listed on at least 1 or 2 discs as well, even when there isn't anymore than is already listed. And more, you suck.
Old 01-28-04, 02:48 PM

Conan SE: Deleted Scenes: Concan Eats Some Meat and Conan Walks past some people.
Old 01-28-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Glengarry Glen Ross

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
Speaking AS an actor, I would say they totally were. And it's really hard to find actors who are serious enough about their craft who haven't read this play or at least read mamet. these people so obviously didn't know what they were doing. And it seemed like they were too dumb. Maybe they just dragged people in off the street, though I doubt it. That would ruin the whole point of the "joke." Just really stupid.
I take it you've never watched American Idol? Some people believe themselves to be talented at a particular skill and are completely blind to their own incompetance.
Old 01-28-04, 04:11 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
My favourite actor from the Glengarry Glen Ross easter egg is the guy with glasses and a bowtie who does it with a fake british accent.

Oh, and that scene isn't even *in* the play. It was written for the film.
Old 01-28-04, 05:28 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

How am I the first person to mention Punch-Drunk Love? Besides the Mattress Man commercial, the rest of the special features are just awful. The Blossoms and Blood and Scopitones are really just a waste of a disc in my opinion.
Old 01-28-04, 05:49 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Yeah, I watched the paltry extras on Punch-Drunk Love and thought "We waited five extra months for *this*?" and "They needed a second disc for *this*?" at about the same time.
Old 01-28-04, 06:08 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Glengarry Glen Ross

Originally posted by Josh Z
I take it you've never watched American Idol? Some people believe themselves to be talented at a particular skill and are completely blind to their own incompetance.
Yes I have. The main difference between American Idol and this piece of shit is that American Idol is an actual audition whereas this is a Saturday Night Live sketch that's completely unfunny. When one goes on American Idol, they have to sign a contract that says the show is allowed to use their likeness and footage however they choose. It's not a "job." It's an actual audition.

This easter egg, however, is a planned skit. It's not an audition for any production because, as jough pointed out, the Alec Baldwin character isn't even in the play. And to be quite honest, actors auditioning for the play version of this would be unionized and i've never met a union theater actor who was as bad as any of the people in that "skit." Thus making it a planned gag...with paid actors...and really really unfunny.
Old 01-28-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always thought the "Reservoir Dogs Style Guide" was pretty pointless.
Old 01-29-04, 06:54 AM

I always thought the Commentary by Jamie Lee Curtis And Director Steve Miner listed on the Halloween: H2O disc kind of sucked. I don't know why - it was just kind of "empty", nothing much was said... Almost like listening to 90 minutes of absolutely nothing.

Last edited by Roy28; 01-29-04 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-29-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Glengarry Glen Ross

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
This easter egg, however, is a planned skit. It's not an audition for any production because, as jough pointed out, the Alec Baldwin character isn't even in the play. And to be quite honest, actors auditioning for the play version of this would be unionized and i've never met a union theater actor who was as bad as any of the people in that "skit." Thus making it a planned gag...with paid actors...and really really unfunny.
You're overthinking it. Nothing is funny when you overthink it like that.
Old 01-29-04, 12:37 PM

I was pretty disappointed by the commentary on Top Secret! All they did was reiterate what was going on in the movie. I'm pretty sure I've heard a few other commentaries like that also. I hardly listen to the commentaries now because they're so hit or miss.

I also can't stand those HBO style "The Making of..." documentaries which are really just commercials that include live-action shots of the movie.
Old 01-29-04, 02:19 PM

I think that a lot of the extras on Ed Wood are bad. Especially the music video. What the hell was that??? All it was the a goth girl dancing around to the score.