Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The 'Burbs" Reviews/Discussion - 2022 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-22, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The 'Burbs (1989)

Selected by WillieMLF

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

THE COMPLETE STREAMING GUIDE INCLUDING AD-SUPPORTED SERVICES

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2022 DISCUSSION | 2022 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 09-26-22 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-11-22, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts
Re: "The 'Burbs" Reviews/Discussion - 2022 Horror Challenge

I usually watch this a couple times a year. A few months ago I rewatched the workprint version that’s on the Shout disc. This time I opted for theatrical. Joe Dante had a pretty great career for a while there.
Old 10-11-22, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I miss this era of Tom Hanks. He made a lot of movies that were just fun back in the day. He's always so serious now in his movie choices. Great cast. I wish Fisher was able to be in more things. She always had such a sharp wit that came through. This is a movie very of its time, but I think the humor and the overall situation (paranoia about neighbor) is still relatable.
The following 2 users liked this post by clckworang:
jholmes (10-12-22), Undeadcow (10-19-22)
Old 10-11-22, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Workprint here. I was looking all over the place to stream this on the way home. This is streaming nowhere! I have the Arrow blu, and had to dig it out once I got home. The comedy hit me just right, and I had some great laughs. Ducommun is one hell of a crazy neighbor. I’m sure it would get old, but he makes for some great lines. ‘My husband is sick, and he can't come out until he resembles the man that I married.’ ‘Carol, we don’t have that kind of time.’
Old 10-11-22, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I've watched this movie umpteen times, and I think this is the first time I noticed that the elderly neighbor Walter (Gale Gordon) has a picture of himself and Lucille Ball sitting on his television (at 36:56 and 37:11). At least I don't remember noticing before now. I don't know if I never noticed or I just forget between watches.
The following users liked this post:
Crocker Jarmen (10-11-22)
Old 10-11-22, 08:09 PM

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
I've watched this movie umpteen times, and I think this is the first time I noticed that the elderly neighbor Walter (Gale Gordon) has a picture of himself and Lucille Ball sitting on his television (at 36:56 and 37:11). At least I don't remember noticing before now. I don't know if I never noticed or I just forget between watches.
I noticed the exact same thing tonight.
Old 10-11-22, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

I saw this at the theatre when it came out in '88, and being 10 years old was the perfect age. I liked the comedy, I dug the adventure of these guys banding together to spy on their neighbours, and the atmosphere of the movie genuinely creeped out. The story of Skip and the smell of his house is delivered so seriously. It sounds like a real story. Sure, this one probably didn't happen, but I believe stuff like that does happen, that a man snaps and murders his entire family and then just goes on with his normal life, not even disposing of the bodies, just waiting to get caught. The adventure and the creepiness is what I remembered the most. Other than Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, I can't think of other movies I would have seen at that time that were telling a serious story (well, "serious" to a 10 year old) but with comedic moments from the characters.

When I re-watch it, I'm seeing it again from that perspective. If I didn't see this until I was in my twenties, or thirties, I don't think I would like it very much as movie. I enjoy it, but it doesn't make me laugh.

What does make me laugh, though, is this great outtake of Dick Miller getting grumpy at Corey Feldman*

* Another reason I loved the movie, I had this intense non-sexual crush on Feldman at the time. In Grade 4 I would get the girls at school to give me the pictures of Feldman from their teen magazines and past them all over my wall. So having my favorite star in the movie also made it memerable.
The following users liked this post:
Undeadcow (10-18-22)
Old 10-12-22, 09:32 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

I know I saw this years and years ago, but didn't remember anything. It's nice to have a lighter comedy at this stage of the challenge. I admit, the middle lost me a bit. I started browsing on my phone --never a good sign. But once they snuck into the basement it picked back up for me. The ending, where Hanks has the hissy outside the house with the cops there and then throws himself into the ambulance is pure comic gold. And I loved Carrie Fisher in this even though she had a smaller role. Just a great cast all around.
Old 10-12-22, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I watched the entire workprint, then rewatched the ending of the theatrical to see how much they diverged. I couldn't figure why Feldman was in the movie, because he didn't do much other than fill in some narration detail. Most of what ended up in the workprint could have been cut out.

Where Hanks has that hissy at the ending of the movie took me back to The Money Pit, when he was melting down about the bills.
Old 10-12-22, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

This is a great movie and I need to watch it again. I've never got around to watching the workprint. In regards to the post above about a man murdering his whole family and just going on with his life, read this true case.

https://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=132646&page=1

Old 10-12-22, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I listened to Corey Feldmans autobiography earlier this year and got to say for a drug addict he presents really well. He talked about Joe Dante and Carrie Fisher trying to have an intervention type conversation with and how in one scene he was shaking so much that it took forever to get the shot. But on screen the guy works.
Old 10-12-22, 01:56 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

A fun, light hearted horror comedy with an all star cast. Just a fun time.
Bruce Dern was my favorite actor in the film. Carrie Fisher was a bit under utilized and the middle drags.
7/10
Old 10-13-22, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

One of the few '80s era Tom Hanks films I do not think I have seen prior to this challenge. Tom Hanks and cast definitely help move this one along. Pizza dude!
Old 10-19-22, 09:47 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

There is a subtle increasingly simmering shift from relatable picket fences suburbia with more and more zany comedy towards a conclusion where the neighborhood is dark and unrecognizable. Joe Dante is a master of tone here. The aimless plot with hysteria building on hysteria over filled with false bravado and mistaken insinuation is great. Jerry Goldstein’s score is a home run making so much of this work. It feels like a cop out that in the end the neighbors were murderous.

Great cast. Rick Ducommun (Art) does well and seems prolific but surprisingly less known out of the crew.

I remember renting The Burbs on VHS as a kid (I was 8 when it came out) and really enjoying it; I was glad to revisit it enjoyed it today.

Originally Posted by clckworang
I miss this era of Tom Hanks. He made a lot of movies that were just fun back in the day. He's always so serious now in his movie choices. Great cast.
It is remarkable how Tom Hanks has gone from these fun comedy roles to become one of the most impressive actors of our time.
​​​​​​​