Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Road Games" Reviews/Discussion - 2021 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-21, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Road Games (1981)

Selected by Group Vote

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

STREAMING GUIDE INCLUDING AD-SUPPORTED SERVICES

ARCHIVE.ORG

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2021 DISCUSSION | 2021 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 09-30-21 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-30-21, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: "Road Games" Reviews/Discussion - 2021 Horror Challenge

Brian May of Queen?
Old 09-30-21, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

What a waste. I’ve owned the Anchor Bay dvd of this for probably 10 years and never popped it in.
Holy shit did I enjoy this. It was a combination of Breakdown and the Hitcher. Shit I can’t wait to watch it again.
The following users liked this post:
Gobear (09-30-21)
Old 09-30-21, 07:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

I just got Blu. Ohhh I got to pop in soon.
Old 09-30-21, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

To be honest, I had never heard of RoadGames before, but boy howdy, was it a terrific ride! The screenplay had more than a little Hitchcock DNA, feeling a lot like Rear Window and using the Antihero and Wrong Man motifs you find in Hitchcock films. And the theme music was totally ripped off from Ravel's Bolero. I may have to buy the Blu-Ray.
The following users liked this post:
WillieMLF (10-01-21)
Old 09-30-21, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

It's been so long since I've seen this movie that it's almost like a new viewing to me. I didn't recall much from the first time I saw it around 2012 or so...

Interesting thriller. I'm not sure Stacy Keach's character is the brightest bulb in the package, but I did enjoy this. Jamie Lee Curtis was great as well.
Old 09-30-21, 09:35 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I love Road Games; Stacy Ketch is a force of nature carrying the film and it's got a lot of smart subtlety. Brilliant idea to have a cheerful truck driver stumbling through the landscape of a serial killer never revealing too much. The subtle plot told through news reports and backdrop feels atmospheric.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-01-21 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-30-21, 09:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Streaming free at archive.org
Thought I had seen most of Jamie Lee’s horror, but this seems new to me.
Old 09-30-21, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I really liked this. I dug the whole concept, and loved the Australian setting... if I had one bugaboo... i felt like a Tom Atkins acting job would have fit better than Keach
The following 2 users liked this post by Darkgod:
Gobear (10-01-21), Toddarino (10-01-21)
Old 09-30-21, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This one never gets old for me; unlike so many other films I've watched on a regular basis. Keach and Curtis work well in this classic
Old 09-30-21, 11:49 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

First viewing. I enjoyed it. It was way lighter than other road movies like Duel, The Hitcher, or The Car. More thriller lite than horror, IMHO, with lots of time just spent on Keach and his dog. A fun watch nonetheless. Loved the dingo/dog. Surprised that Jamie Lee's role in this was shorter than I'd expected but still enjoyable. She's such a likeable girl next door.
Old 10-01-21, 01:06 AM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Brian May of Queen?
Different Brian May.

This was my first watch of this film since it hit HBO probably 39 years ago. Like MysterioMan007, I remembered so little of it that it was practically a first watch. I enjoyed it reasonably well enough, but I thought that it had some pacing problems and a couple of story issues. Still, Keach was great, the big bad was properly menacing, and the dog was aces.
Old 10-01-21, 07:27 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Stacy Keach is believable and excellent as the protagonist. The relationship between Keach and Jamie Lee Curtis also works very well. My only gripe might be that the horror elements were tame and played down. This one plays more like a crime noir/thriller.
8/10
Old 10-01-21, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
And the theme music was totally ripped off from Ravel's Bolero.
I thought I heard some Holst too. Quirky movie with lots of little touches like Stacy Keach bumping into fellow travelers along his route. When he was getting away to chase the van I noticed the dog/dingo nipped him in the leg as he stated it would go for their crotch if they weren't careful.
Old 10-01-21, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

It was fun to revisit this one. I haven't watched it in many years despite having bought the Umbrella release a few years back. I should watch it more often. I do think it would pair well with Breakdown which my wife really enjoyed.
Old 10-01-21, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

First time view. I really loved they way this movie started and through the half way point. It kind of petered out for me and the whole, trying to catch the killer, just started to grate on my nerves. The Umbrella disk has a ton of features that seem really interesting and I'll have to hit those at a later date. Thought the music was really cool.
Old 10-01-21, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

My first time view too, and I'm not sure how I managed to miss this movie all these years. Variations of the Rear Window formula have been done to death, but having it be done with a trucker driving between cities in the vast emptiness of Australia made the story seem fresh. I don't think it's a horror movie, any more than Rear Window is (although it's generally listed as one). Stacy Keach's Quid was a fun character to spend a movie hanging out with. I appreciated the light tone ... as I get older, I'm finding myself with less and less of a tolerance for dark and nasty movies. I loved how every encounter he has with a random stranger (except for Jamie Lee Curtis's character) had things go terribly wrong: the boat driver, the middle-aged wife, the poor motorcycle rider Looking it up on IMDb, the actor who played "Sneezy Rider" played the title character in director Richard Franklin's previous movie, Patrick.

Speaking of Richard Franklin, he had some really nice stylish moments in this and you can see the Hitchcock influence (besides the plot elements). For example, in one scene Quid was following the van at night and the shot has the taillights reflection panning up on his face, before stopping at his eyes making him look possessed (which he metaphorically was, getting obsessed with tracking the killer). Franklin got his big Hollywood chance in his follow-up movie to this, Psycho II.
Old 10-01-21, 02:21 PM

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

I also kept thinking that his dog was gonna die, which I hate watching. Glad it didn’t happen.
Old 10-01-21, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I ended up just buying it on iTunes for 9.99. The archive.org version looked like crap. I loved the scenes with the guy pulling the boat!

At first I thought it was the Road Games from 2015 that we were supposed to watch so I went for the 30 day trial of IFC on Prime. There is a LOT of good stuff on that channel! Might have to keep it for the 5.99/month after the trial runs out. I think that Road Games would qualify for this month as well.
Old 10-01-21, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
I ended up just buying it on iTunes for 9.99. The archive.org version looked like crap. I loved the scenes with the guy pulling the boat!

At first I thought it was the Road Games from 2015 that we were supposed to watch so I went for the 30 day trial of IFC on Prime. There is a LOT of good stuff on that channel! Might have to keep it for the 5.99/month after the trial runs out. I think that Road Games would qualify for this month as well.
Is there a code for a 30-day trial? Prime just offers a free 7-day trial for IFC.
Old 10-02-21, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Ya'll were really enamored with big trucks in the 70s and 80s enough to set an entire movie in one. I thought this was a pretty decent thriller, I just wish it was a little tighter. It seemed like there were some scenes that went on longer than necessary. There were also some odd choices with the sound track, where the music sounded oddly triumphant when I thought the mood should have been more suspenseful. Overall this was solid, and I really enjoyed the cinematography, they had a lot of cool shots and stylish moments throughout the film.

Once again, the romance between a young Jamie Lee Curtis and an older man who picks her up while hitchhiking is awkward and forced. This played out almost exactly like The Fog to the point where I thought they were poking fun at it at first. A few of their lines seemed to be referencing the other film in a meta way, but then it kind of sincerely played out anyway. It feels like fantasy fulfillment from a middle aged screenwriter. If you cut out that entire subplot the film moves a lot faster and feels less awkward.
Old 10-02-21, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
Is there a code for a 30-day trial? Prime just offers a free 7-day trial for IFC.
Maybe different in Canada?
Old 10-03-21, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Conspiracy Theory: Anchor Bay listed the rating of this one as Not Rated on the dvd to sell more copies to horror fans banking on JLC's scream queen status.
Old 10-24-21, 09:36 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Nice first time viewing, but I feel like it could have been better. Not sure what was missing, but Keach is so fun to watch I want to see him in something truly stellar.

Stealing rbrown’s subset ranking idea:

Road Games, 7/10

Last edited by Trevor; 10-25-21 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-02-21, 12:37 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Chiming in that Road Games was my favorite of the subset films this year -- the cloaked killer (who is insignificant) and trucker things happen around really give a nice implied plot and sense of world that works very well at balancing sly comedy and grisly horror.