Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
The NoHo store on Vineland Ave finally got rid of that 8 foot, 4 sided cardboard "tower". There's a couple of waterfall displays and what's left only takes up about 1 1/2 sides of those wire racks. Inventory is shrinking away.....
This has been the longest drought between significant waves since THE FLINTSTONES/TALES FROM THE CRYPT bonanza of a few summers ago. That's what started the Big Lots frenzy, but we are a long way away from those days. I agree with you that the lack of new product and the constant shrinking is most likely a sign that things are winding down for good.
Old 03-17-13, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnIan
I'll be on the look out.
Found it. Bought two copies (turns out I needed it - now have a mint set).

The store has the new display out. Saw this, that and the other thing, but no Hitchcock movies.
Old 03-18-13, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
In the east TN area, found The Universial Brando franchise collection for $3 and Shadow of A Doubt for $5.
The whole Box set? I've seen the movies by themselves only....
Old 03-18-13, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
In the east TN area, found The Universial Brando franchise collection for $3 and Shadow of A Doubt for $5.
Originally Posted by berigan
The whole Box set? I've seen the movies by themselves only....
The Franchise Collection is a different set than the one those slim case movies are from. It's a UNI set while those in the slim cases are Warners. Here's a link to the amazon listing. The Franchise Collection has the films The Ugly American. The Appaloosa, A Countess from Hong Kong, and The Night of the Following Day.
Old 03-18-13, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Shawerma
Saw a new display here in dtown LA. Picked up VIP Season 1 for $3
I'll be on the look out.
Me, too! I still remember the silly first season episode with the hot dog wagon chase!

Visited the Lancaster store today, and while they clearly had new stock, it was uninteresting enough that I didn't buy anything and didn't make notes. (I did see a boxed, uncut Fleisher Superman WB set.) Will likely check the York stores this weekend for VIP.
Old 03-19-13, 09:34 PM

Franklin Mills, PA had a refresh, but mostly of stuff that's been seen before.

$3
Legal Eagles
Three O'Clock High

$5
Once Upon a Time in China I/II/III
The River Wild/The Getaway/The Real McCoy
The Last Boy Scout/Dead-Bang/Action Jackson
Honkytonk Man/Pink Cadillac/City Heat

$6.88
Ron Howard Spotlight Collection (A Beautiful Mind/Apollo 13/Cinderella Man/Backdraft)
Spider-Man 1/2/3
Get Him to the Greek (Blu-ray)
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
The Wolfman (Blu-ray)
Old 03-23-13, 06:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan458
Some at higher prices is right. I forgot to mention that mixed in with the normal boring titles were what must have been a newer shipment of the same old boring titles...with 6.88 price stickers. Shockingly they seem to be going the wrong direction
The $6.88 titles showed up at the NoHo store on Vineland Ave. They're not with the regular DVDS, but on the sides of that wire display by the registers that have all the games. What I remember seeing:

Blu-ray:
Green Zone
Little Fockers
Wolfman
Hellboy II
It's Complicated
The Dilemma

DVDs:
SALT
Dear John
Green Hornet
The Tourist
Zombieland
Fast and Furious movies (various)
Old 03-23-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Pearl told me they only got 3 $6.88 titles this week, nothing else. The titles were so unmemorable that............. I don't remember what they were!
Old 03-23-13, 09:34 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't remember what they were!
Could they be "Joey"?
Old 03-24-13, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Could they be "Joey"?
Naahhhhhh. wasn't he just a buck?? lol!
Old 03-26-13, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pearl got a small batch, including the first $3 blu-ray (I don't remember the title).

$3 cd "highlights" there are very few were some Underdog movie, Hellraiser Revelations, Children/Village Of The Damned & 1911.

About 10 $6.88 titles, the only one worth notiving imo was Depp's The Tourist, & I have no idea if it's a good film.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 03-27-13 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-27-13, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Pearl got a small batch, including the first $3 blu-ray (I don't remember the title).

$3 DVD "highlights" there are very few were some Underdog movie, Hellraiser Revelations, Children/Village Of The Damned & 1911.
This (very small) batch showed up at the NoHo store on Vineland Ave. A few other titles:

Lawnmower Man 1 and 2 (for $3, this time)
The Yellow Handkerchief (William Hurt, Maria Bello)
Let the Bullets Fly (with slipcover)
Animals United (with slipcover)

And the $3 blu-ray is Ironclad (described as "Seven Samurai" meets "Braveheart"). I've never heard of it, but I like the cast so I went ahead and grabbed it.
Old 03-27-13, 09:54 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't stopped at Big Lots for months, went to one today and picked up:

Mother of Tears
Three O'Clock High
After Hours
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
Who's That Knocking at My Door?
Secret Origin, the story of DC Comics
Legend of the Fist
Nothing But Trouble (non snapper version)
Old 04-09-13, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stopped by Pearl St (Tacoma, WA) today. Tuesday is freight day. Found a small $3 batch. The clerk thought they got nothing today, so she may have been wrong or this may have been last week's batch put out late.

Just a few kinda sorta mediocre "highlights":

Purple Rain 1 Disc FS
Battle Of The Buldge (Fonda)
Bloodworth
Right Stuff 1 Disc (WS)
Heidi (Von Sydow, Chaplin) (FS)
$3 restock on Village & Children Of The Damned

The $6.88 single dvd's are just sitting, as are the $5.00 ones for that matter. They stocked up so heavy on the few $6.88 titles, I predict a big dump on them soon.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 04-10-13 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-10-13, 07:11 PM

I picked up the Ron Howard Spotlight Collection (A Beautiful Mind/Apollo 13/Cinderella Man/Backdraft) for $6.88 at the Lynn, MA store. I hadn't been there since December, and I was very disappointed. The giant four sided cardboard display had some sections that were jam-packed, with DVDs stacked horizontally on top of the vertical DVDs. And yet other sections were empty. It was the same with the wire rack. If they properly spread everything out, it would be a lot easier to look through. I didn't really bother looking too hard since it was too much of a hassle. I probably could have straighten it out myself, but I didn't really have time. Plus, I can't think of any DVDs that I've been hoping to find there recently.
Old 04-14-13, 03:54 PM

New batch of $5 FOX titles at the Vineland Av store in NoHo.... but it's all kids stuff:

Strawberry Shortcake
Hello Kitty
Secret of Nimh - double feature
Sandlot 2
Black Stallion
Pebble and the Penguin
Old 04-14-13, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
New batch of $5 FOX titles at the Vineland Av store in NoHo.... but it's all kids stuff:

Strawberry Shortcake
Hello Kitty
Secret of Nimh - double feature
Sandlot 2
Black Stallion
Pebble and the Penguin
WOW, how the mighty have fallen.
Old 04-14-13, 08:02 PM
Banned

If it wasn't for Big Lots, my collection would be much smaller. I had to curb my spending this year, but in the past few months, I managed to snag Going Berserk (1983), I'm Not Rappaport (1996), Session 9 (2001), Three O'Clock High (1987), and The Cure (1995) for exactly or less than $3.00 a piece.

I find it especially odd that Big Lots is the one store I shopped at weekly that INCREASED their DVD prices. Titles that were $3.00 and didn't sell at that price now have price tags of $5.00 or $6.88! Where's the logic in that? Was the $3 DVDs just a ploy to become known to DVD collectors, to reel us into their stores, only to jack the prices up after we started being loyal to them?
Old 04-14-13, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The latest batch I've seen is $7.00. There was an MGM 4 film 50s's horror set that included Frogs & 3 more I would have bit on up to $4 or 5, but $7 was pushing it.
Old 04-14-13, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Moviefan02
If it wasn't for Big Lots, my collection would be much smaller. I had to curb my spending this year, but in the past few months, I managed to snag Going Berserk (1983), I'm Not Rappaport (1996), Session 9 (2001), Three O'Clock High (1987), and The Cure (1995) for exactly or less than $3.00 a piece.

I find it especially odd that Big Lots is the one store I shopped at weekly that INCREASED their DVD prices. Titles that were $3.00 and didn't sell at that price now have price tags of $5.00 or $6.88! Where's the logic in that? Was the $3 DVDs just a ploy to become known to DVD collectors, to reel us into their stores, only to jack the prices up after we started being loyal to them?
In the past, titles have shown up at both the $3 and $5 price points. I don't really get the logic with that. I think the price fluctuations are based on marketing and are not intended to punish the consumer.
Old 04-14-13, 11:03 PM

My Big Lots in Chardon, Ohio has had a lot of new stuff show up for $3 from Universal's Focus Features division. Some of it I had seen at other stores in the Cleveland area previously (The American, 2010) and some of it I had not, but have since (Thirst, 2009).

The one that I snapped up that I haven't seen ANYWHERE else was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Last edited by js2shops; 04-15-13 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-15-13, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Moviefan02
Big Lots has had explosive growth over the past few years. They've generally raised prices across the board on a wide variety of products. A few years ago they had dirt cheap prices, but those days are largely gone.
Old 04-15-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Big Lots has had explosive growth over the past few years. They've generally raised prices across the board on a wide variety of products. A few years ago they had dirt cheap prices, but those days are largely gone.
Yup. I don't know about the explosive growth part as I don't follow their company's finances, but I believe you. A few years ago I thought they had good prices (even without 20% off) and bought lots of DVDs at $3 (or $2.40 after 20% off). Then they raised prices and I got more into BD such that I never go to BL except when I have a 20% off coupon and even when I do I rarely buy any movies. BL is pretty much for soap and household supplies just as Walmart is now for food (PM'ing local food ads of course). In fact, everyone PMs their food at Walmart to the point the employees usually know the prices and you don't need the ad, but you have to ask. So why doesn't Walmart just automatically PM local food competitors? Because that would make it too easy and they hope you'd forget. Sorry... got off topic there. It's sad that BL is not as good as it used to be (certainly for movies) but I'm still glad it's there. The more stores and the more competition, the better, IMO.
Old 04-15-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
The latest batch I've seen is $7.00. There was an MGM 4 film 50s's horror set that included Frogs & 3 more I would have bit on up to $4 or 5, but $7 was pushing it.
Geff, was this one of those MIDNIGHT MOVIES 4 Packs that MGM released a few years ago to K Mart? They included 4 of the Midnight Movies titles in one set and sold for $7.99 at K Mart during Halloween season. That was the only store I ever saw them at and I have rarely seen them for sale online. They have popped up but for more than $7.99. I thought them too expensive at the time and passed them up, but later regretted it when I saw what the price was for some of the single movies that had gone OOP, e.g. THE ANGRY RED PLANET.
Old 04-15-13, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Geff, was this one of those MIDNIGHT MOVIES 4 Packs that MGM released a few years ago to K Mart? They included 4 of the Midnight Movies titles in one set and sold for $7.99 at K Mart during Halloween season. That was the only store I ever saw them at and I have rarely seen them for sale online. They have popped up but for more than $7.99. I thought them too expensive at the time and passed them up, but later regretted it when I saw what the price was for some of the single movies that had gone OOP, e.g. THE ANGRY RED PLANET.
Glenn, I tried looking it up on Amazon to give you a link, but couldn't find it. If I see it again will mentally note more info & post. There was also 1 similar comedy set at $7; I have no memory what was on it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.