Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-13, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Originally Posted by Manzana
There's supposedly a 20% off coupon for this upcoming weekend (March 2-3), but I'll have to be really careful this time to make sure it's not a Saturday-only sale like the last one I missed.

Question: I almost never log into my Buzz Club. In order to print the 20% off coupon (if no one posts a link to it anywhere), do I have to log into my Buzz Club account or will the coupon be somewhere conspicuous on biglots.com without logging in?
The Buzz Club coupon has always been posted in the same location. I have it bookmarked on my home PC. You don't have to log-in to anything. I'm sure the link is in this thread somewhere. Slickdeals says they don't put it up until like the day before, so on March 1st it should be.
Old 02-25-13, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don;'t even know if my BL has had a DVD shipment since the last 20% sale (around 1/24). This might be the second 20% sale I've spent NOTHING.

I guess I should be glad (since I've spent so much this year already THANK YOU BB U&S), but I do miss the old BL shipments and finding that rare DVD you've been looking for. Two years ago, BL was the retailer I frequented the most for movies. Now, they don't even rank.
Old 02-25-13, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I don;'t even know if my BL has had a DVD shipment since the last 20% sale (around 1/24). This might be the second 20% sale I've spent NOTHING.

I guess I should be glad (since I've spent so much this year already THANK YOU BB U&S), but I do miss the old BL shipments and finding that rare DVD you've been looking for. Two years ago, BL was the retailer I frequented the most for movies. Now, they don't even rank.
I think part of it is resellers got wise and started snatching up all the hot titles. The other part was that the distributors were sending some of their stock to retailers willing to pay more. Also, the box set trouble with Warner (I think?) Personally, I am not buying nearly as many regular dvds, especially blind buys.
Old 02-25-13, 09:04 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Also, the box set trouble with Warner (I think?)
*nods*
Old 02-25-13, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

The studios have gotten much craftier with their sales estimates on DVDs and have scaled back on the manufacturing runs. Years ago they would manufacture 50,000 copies without blinking, even for obscure movies. That led to massive backstock accumulating in the distributors' warehouses. Much of that stock eventually ended up at Big Lots, among other retailers. The studios stopped making those massive production runs and simply have less back stock to sell to stores like Big Lots.
Old 02-25-13, 10:33 PM

I've seen a couple of new displays in the last couple of days. A lot of the same old stuff but I did see The Sting II($3) and the 2 disc Yankee Doodle Dandee($5). Fighter on blu($5) and Easter Yogi the Bear($3).

Nothing Earth-shattering but at least it's something new.
Old 02-27-13, 10:43 PM

A small batch of Universal DVD's and Blu-Rays showed up in Newark, Ohio today.

Standard DVD's were various entries in the FAST & FURIOUS and BOURNE (Matt Damon) series while the Blu-Rays included titles like IT'S COMPLICATED and THE DILEMMA.

Prices for all were $6.88 (ouch!)
Old 02-28-13, 12:05 AM

The Portland,OR/Vancouver,WA area stores all put out new batch of dvd's
on tuesday and wednesday. There is some two sided water fall displays with
one side of $3 titles and one side $5 titles. Some of the stores that have the
big four sided displays from spring of 2012 last year (that were getting
pretty empty at a couple stores) went and took the the dvd's from the
new water fall displays and filled the old display.

I had good luck at the Portland Mall 205 location:

The Desperate Hours (Bogart)
Animal House (Double Secret Probation Widescreen Edition)
Punchline (Hanks)

all were $3

There wasn't anything I needed or wanted at the other area locations
that I went to. But it was nice to finally find some titles that I have been
wanting and at $3.
Old 02-28-13, 12:34 PM

Just got an email confirming the 20% sale. It is Saturday 4pm-close with the Buzz card and all day Sunday w/ a coupon (which they usually give you when you go in).

But if you want (Mananza), you can call
Old 02-28-13, 10:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

The NoHo store on Vineland Ave got some new stock, but it's just more of the same stuff.

Shrek movies
Hereafter
Social Network
Nine
Bird on a Wire
Spiderman 3
Old 03-01-13, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just got an email confirming the 20% sale. It is Saturday 4pm-close with the Buzz card and all day Sunday w/ a coupon (which they usually give you when you go in).

But if you want (Mananza), you can call
Not necessary for me to call because there is a coupon this time which specifically states Sunday... unlike last time when there was no coupon and the sale dates were just (incorrect) word of mouth.
Old 03-01-13, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
We're just the opposite. My wife is always complaining because I'll say "That's it... we're at $20. Make a list and we'll come back tomorrow or put something back to get that item." There are always bags of chips, cans of veggies, box of cereal, cleaning supplies, etc. that we can find and use to hit the $20 mark. As an example, we currently have a 20% discount on the card and are half way towards another.

Be grateful you're still on the 10/$20/20% program. Lots of folks here are on a new version that provides random "discounts" based on your purchase history.

DVD wise... the store here is much like the rest. Nothing "new" since right after Christmas and what *is* there seems to be moving slowly. That's unusual here as DVDs were once big sellers and wouldn't be in the store very long. I guess the weekend yard sale folks, fleamarket sellers, and whorders finally figured out those $3 DVDs are pretty much worth $3...
When I was on the better program, I had 3 cards that I would rotate to maximize my savings and the 20% coupons. I would even break up purchases in $20 increments to use more than one card on a given day.

Originally Posted by Manzana
Not necessary for me to call because there is a coupon this time which specifically states Sunday... unlike last time when there was no coupon and the sale dates were just (incorrect) word of mouth.
It was a joke, Mananza. A joke. Hence the
Old 03-01-13, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Round Rock, TX store - TONS of DVDs!!! I spent about 45 minutes going thru two huge racks of them!

I got:

Midnight Run
Mean Streets
The Chamber
Old 03-01-13, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They usually have the coupon at the register, but for those that want to print it just in case, here you go:
http://www.biglots.com/coupon/coupon...rFriendly=true
Old 03-02-13, 07:43 AM

Also, don't forget that today it doesn't start til 4 pm, which sucks for me since I'm going to be near one in an hour....
Old 03-02-13, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
The NoHo store on Vineland Ave got some new stock, but it's just more of the same stuff.

Shrek movies
Hereafter
Social Network
Nine
Bird on a Wire
Spiderman 3
Looks like Puyallup WA got the same, lots of DVDs but mostly restock. Did see a couple of titles I hadn't seen before (though other locations have listed them):

$5
Once Upon A Time In China Trilogy
Virginia City (Errol Flynn)
$3
Cold Comfort Farm
Old 03-02-13, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

No "new" $5 titles here, just a double-sided waterfall with $3 titles. The only thing that stood out was Jim Henson's Dark Crystal. Everything else was either restock or unremarkable.
Old 03-02-13, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ Yeah with a sticker on the back that says DIGITAL COPY EXPIRED. First time I've seen that.
Old 03-02-13, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
^ Yeah with a sticker on the back that says DIGITAL COPY EXPIRED. First time I've seen that.
As an ebay seller, I will tell you that people have a FIT when those things expire, even in 5 year old used dvd's, Wish the POS'S would just go away (the copies, not the customers!).
Old 03-02-13, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hit both of the North Tacoma, Wa stores tonight. They usually put out dvd's early in the week, so i don't know for sure how picked out they were. No Bogart (Virginia City) like WMH saw in relatively near by Puyallup, though they get a LOT more than the other Pierce County stores.

It looked to me like Bridgeport got a lot more stock than Pearl, but was also a lot more picked through than Pearl. Pretty much saw what others did (lots of Shrek), same old same old. Social Network must have been a huge flop, considering both BL & Grocery Outlet have a ton of them. Restock on the opened Brando boxes, a 6 film Universal "Dark Comedy" set (the only film I recognized was Casual Sex?), lots of The Sting 2 & I saw (& grabbed) 1 copy of a 1979 AC-DC Concert called Let There Be Rock on Warner @ $3. Some $5-$7 weak Blu's.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 03-03-13 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-03-13, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
Same here. While I've never redeemed one of those I can see it being nice for those who do *especially* as the package has "Digital Copy Included" in large letters on the front. I just don't understand the concept of expiring a digital copy.
Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
As an ebay seller, I will tell you that people have a FIT when those things expire, even in 5 year old used dvd's, Wish the POS'S would just go away (the copies, not the customers!).
I've always wondered if B&M get returns/complaints due to expired digital copies on bargain titles. I'd *never* expect the digital copy code for a used product to work unless it was indicated *up front* that it was still good.
Old 03-03-13, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
The only thing that stood out was Jim Henson's Dark Crystal. Everything else was either restock or unremarkable.
Wow, that's just what I was going to say! Lancaster got the new shipment, although it seems they incorporated the DVD's from one of the two "waterfalls" into the big tower. Nearly all of of it felt like a restock. With more free time, I might have jotted down some titles anyway, but the only really notable one was a single, extra-less copy of The Dark Crystal with (or without) a digital copy.

East and West York didn't receive their shipments yet, and East York appears like it's gotten very little DVD stock since their grand opening last fall. I did pick up some older titles that I'd previously skipped:

The Darjeeling Limited
Shock Treatment
Moscow on the Hudson (sort of new)

Concerning MOTH, the package says "full screen", but Amazon lists only one version, and the reviews I've found call it a flipper with a widescreen option. I'm thinking this is a situation like Woody Allen's "Sweet and Lowdown" where Sony opted to cut costs and (for unknown reasons) distribute the full screen side only. Comments? Think I'll be returning it.
Old 03-03-13, 04:03 PM

Lots of new stuff at the Pocatello and Idaho Falls (Idaho) stores. I picked up quite a few with the 20% discount (all $3 unless noted):

Down With Love
Cold Comfort Farm
Castle Keep
Meerkat Manor (season 1)
Head In the Clouds
Three O'Clock High
Chico and Guapo Season 1
One Night at McCool's
Let the Bullets Fly (Chow Yun Fat) - with slipcover
Chariots of Fire
Ocean Heaven (Jet Li) - with slipcover
The Hitcher II (oops, I think I meant to get something else)
Kuffs
The American
Quest For Camelot/Cats Don't Dance ($5)
Contract Killer (Jet Li) ($5)
Once Upon a Time In China 1-3 ($5)

and the best of them all:

El Cuerpo del Deseo - a Telemundo drama with English subs - I have always wanted to see what the heck they were saying in these cheesy things and now I can! It may have cost me $2.40 but how can it not be worth that?
Old 03-03-13, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the Niles, IL store (still a dump), all they had was a copy of Beverly Hillbillies Season 2 for ten bucks and throw the coupon in and it was for eight bucks. Decided not to get it but other than the same old junk there, nothing new to report.
Old 03-05-13, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pearl St got either a small &/or already picked over batch of $6.88 DVD's & 2nd tier major studio Blu's. I'm not sure how picked over it was: they get freight on Tuesday. it wasn't there Saturday during the sale, so either they held them out until after the sale or they came in today & all the good stuff sold this morning before I got there.

Only title worth mentioning is a Ron Howard 8 disc 4 film set. If I wasn't so broke I MIGHT have picked it up. It's actually cheaper at BL than at Amazon (for once)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.