DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 5

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Big Lots Part 5

Originally Posted by N8 Storm
What's the deal with some of the Flintstones sets not being sealed? I just recently started to go to Big Lots, so I don't know if that is a trend or not, but none of the other tv shows I saw were like that.
All of the Flintstones sets I've seen have been sealed, but every store I've been to, other than one, they have had the Popeye sets unsealed. I thought that was pretty weird. I've seen other sets unsealed also, no rhyme or reason to any of it from what I've seen.
Old 07-20-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't believe any of you have actually found Big Lots employees who speak English. I wonder what that must be like.
Old 07-20-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For what it's worth, most BL employees may as well not speak any English anyway since they're so unhelpful.
Old 07-20-09, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, concerning unsealed sets, I saw quite a few of some of them unsealed but they went ahead and put some of those dreaded security sticker things on the front of the case. I can't imagine trying to take one of those off the front of a cardboard case without ruining it.
Old 07-20-09, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Haha, true about the employees being unhelpful, but somehow being unhelpful in a foreign language seems even more insulting. I asked one employee if they had any DVDs in the back room and I think she told me in a mix of Spanish and Korean that they didn't even have a back room.

Last edited by ProfessorEcho; 07-20-09 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-20-09, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wvtechs
I can't help but wonder how much gas people are burning to go to numerous Big Lots stores repeatedly. If I have to go to that kind of trouble and expense with no real promise of finding anything, which seems to be the norm, I would rather just fork out the cash and buy it elsewhere. Besides, with all the resellers snatching these things up and selling them, the prices will drop like a rock in no time at all.

Good things come to those who wait.
Too damn much... But, I have finally wised up and have made my last road trips to the Central KY locations. Richmond I did OK at but struck out a few times in Georgetown and once in Mt Sterling. It occurred to me last weekend that there's a damn flea market in Georgetown across the street from the Big Lots! Duh, no wonder there's never jack shit there. Screw that trip.

In Lexington, I work on campus so both locations are just a few miles out of the way on my way home. No big deal.

Took me a couple of weeks, one Wally World purchase for $15 and some trading but I finally have ER 1-9 secured. That was my goal. The $10 jackpot last week and Complete Wonder Woman + the $3 movies was just gravy (super gooey totally awesome gravy!) to top off my quest. So, that made it all worth it.

But I scored that $10 haul here in town... Pissing that gas money away, miles on the wheels and my time for nothing pretty much sucked.

I'll be checking again this week for Tales From The Crypt but I'm not going out of the way...
Old 07-20-09, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly
I've seen

The Best of the New Scooby-Doo Movies
The Flintstones S1-6
Top Cat Complete Series
Huckleberry Hound Vol 1
Dastardy and Muttley Complete Series
Wacky Races Complete Series
Josie & The Pussycats Complete Series
Penelope Pitstop Complete Series
Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show Complete Series
Space Ghost & Dino Boy Complete Series
Birdman Complete Series

Other posters have seen
Scooby-Doo! Vol. 3
Magilla Gorilla
Hong Kong Phooey

Don't know what I'm missing.
From the original $6 wave the following were mentioned:
Wait Till Your Father Gets Home

There may be others but those are the ones that immediately come to mind.
Old 07-20-09, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
Connecticut update

Went to the Newington, CT store again tonight, bought:

Tales from the Crypt - S2, S3, S5, S6 - This were the only season they had, otherwise I would have bought whatever they had. (More remained of these seasons)
Popeye - 1933-1938 (There were TONS of these)
Jonny Quest - Season 1 (Only one I spotted)

They also had TONS of Flintstones S1, S2 and S3 (might go back for these) along with a good assortment of Lois and Clark sets. Also spotted two Veronica Mars S2 and Top Cat. I think that is all. Also a lone copy of Joey S1 leftover on the bottom shelve. Poor Joey.
Damn you, alfonso! You're going to make me take another trip to the Derby store and they probably won't have shit.
Old 07-20-09, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L
Yeah, the BL employees act very weird, very defensive, when you ask them a question about anything at all. It's the same at each and every store. I wonder what's up with that.
Ha ha... completely agree.. They simply dont know anything, dont care to know anything, and get angry at you for thinking they would know anything about their job...
Old 07-20-09, 09:00 PM

You guys are lucky. I have seen 1 JUST 1 HANNA BARBARA in going to 10 BIG LOTS.............1 copy of Wait Till Your Father Gets Home. I picked it up, but would gladly pick up OPENED FLINTSTONES.
Old 07-20-09, 09:01 PM
Cool New Member

Matthews, NC BL had nothing of note, nor did the one on the SE side of Charlotte. Was over that way for an interview and figured might as well check because otherwise its far out of the way.

Got lucky and found the Kubrick set over in Concord...thanks to those that suggested checking the electronics area as thats where they were, along with a lot of Roots sets and Flintstones seasons 2 and 3.

But sadly I didnt find most of the stuff I really was set on...no Tales from the Crypt, Superman serials or the Looney Toons set, which I really hope I find. However, these shipments dont strike me as recurring, like the MGM and Sony dumps they constantly get so it'll take a lucky break to spot them (maybe some of that stuff is still in back or sitting in a hold somewhere until there's space)

Still, its been a good (and relatively inexpensive) few weeks of finds.
Old 07-20-09, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Liverpool
Someone posted a pic back in Part 4 of the thread, page 52
Direct link to pg 52 of BL Thread 4. (Scroll down a few posts to locate the pic itself.) Thanks for letting us know where to find it. Now I REALLY want that set!!!!!
Old 07-20-09, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Damn you, alfonso! You're going to make me take another trip to the Derby store and they probably won't have shit.
Haha, I hope the Derby store got some of what Newington got!! Seriously though, they had tons of Popeye/Flintstones. So many I felt comfortable leaving the Flintstones behind for now. Now that I think of it you can add The War at Home S1 to that list of what I saw.
Old 07-20-09, 09:16 PM
Banned

The gas is minimal compared to paying $3 per set. Plus, the hunt is the thing. This is good fun. Racing hoarders from store to store. Come on!

One of the managers I spoke with was very helpful and tells me exactly when the next truck arrives and when the dvd's will be out on the shelves. He even showed me the computer for the next order coming in (450 $3 boxed sets to be held until the 26th). Most of the titles were listed in bulk but some were specific like Popeye, Flintstones, etc...

I guess the ad for the 26th will mention the $3 sets and maybe show Hanna-Barbera specifically.
Old 07-20-09, 09:19 PM
Cool New Member

anybody see or know if Big Lots will be getting popeye vol 2 & 3?

I scored 1, but would really like to get the other two sets
Old 07-20-09, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

450 $3 box sets? At once? DUDE.

I got all of the Flintstones sets tonight. Totally made my day. It's been a LOUSY week, I can't even begin to say why, but this Big Lots sale has given me sunshine where there otherwise wouldn't have been anything to smile about. I've wanted the Flintstones sets for years but could never really afford them so getting them for $3 each is one of my all time favorite deals now. Heck, I just love all the Hanna Barbera shows and have found a few more too (like Top Cat and Wacky Races) so it will be exciting to see if I can find even more of the shows I want.

By the way, I don't know if anyone has said this yet but people really should say it: THANK YOU WARNER BROS! My dream of owning all of these HB sets is finally appearing as though it may come true.
Old 07-20-09, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
I've seen

The Flintstones S1-6
Top Cat Complete Series
Huckleberry Hound Vol 1
Dastardy and Muttley Complete Series
Wacky Races Complete Series
Josie & The Pussycats Complete Series
Penelope Pitstop Complete Series
Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show Complete Series
Space Ghost & Dino Boy Complete Series
Birdman Complete Series

Other posters have seen
Scooby-Doo! Vol. 3
Magilla Gorilla
Hong Kong Phooey

Don't know what I'm missing.
I picked up The Scooby Do Dynomutt Hour.
Old 07-20-09, 09:21 PM
Banned

To add to that Hanna-Barbera list:

Yogi Bear Complete
Jetsons Complete (early version)

Have these 2 been spotted?
Old 07-20-09, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by guitardedboy
anybody see or know if Big Lots will be getting popeye vol 2 & 3?

I scored 1, but would really like to get the other two sets
No idea, but I really hope so.
Old 07-20-09, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Pizza
I picked up The Scooby Do Dynomutt Hour.
Oh, man... I'd LOVE to find that set, too! Memmmmmmmmoriesssss....
Old 07-20-09, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I would LOVE Yogi Bear complete. That one is personally one of my all time favorites. I already have The Jetson's but would love for it to show up so my sister can grab a copy, and maybe one of my friends who likes The Flintstones (I don't think he's even seen The Jetson's).

Oh, and I got a copy (for $6) of The Scooby Do Dynomutt Hour as well. It's one of the few Scooby Doo shows I'm less familar with but I'm excited to see all of it!
Old 07-20-09, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cracksky
To add to that Hanna-Barbera list:

Yogi Bear Complete
Jetsons Complete (early version)

Have these 2 been spotted?
I don't know, but that's why I'm not adding them to the list.

I was posting only what has been found at BL. Those two are unverified.
Old 07-20-09, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My Popeye 1933-38 had a sticker that said it had an exclusive comic book in it, but there wasn't one. Was anyone else's missing the comic?
Old 07-20-09, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by NCC1701E
Flintstones S3 and S5 were not sealed at the BL here.
S2 & S3 not sealed here.
Old 07-20-09, 09:36 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by GenPion
I would LOVE Yogi Bear complete. That one is personally one of my all time favorites. I already have The Jetson's but would love for it to show up so my sister can grab a copy, and maybe one of my friends who likes The Flintstones (I don't think he's even seen The Jetson's).

Oh, and I got a copy (for $6) of The Scooby Do Dynomutt Hour as well. It's one of the few Scooby Doo shows I'm less familar with but I'm excited to see all of it!
If you love Yogi, be sure to grab the Huckleberry Hound DVD set too. It contains the earliest (and some of the funniest) Yogi cartoons made before he was spun-off onto his own show. The Huckleberry set contains the Pixie & Dixie & Mr. Jinks cartoons, too. Great stuff!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.