DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 5

Old 07-20-09, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Big Lots Part 5

All of the cashiers at the Big Lots around here tend to be trailer trash.
Old 07-21-09, 12:14 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
All of the cashiers at the Big Lots around here tend to be trailer trash.

one of the workers at mine was awesome! He came out with some ER sets and asked me if that's what I was looking for? I told him "No, Friends season 2." and he said"just a sec while I look in back" COOL! They didnt have it but it was nice of him to look. i just wish these SoCal stores would get anything new. it makes no sense, I mean Warner Brothers is right by here! haha. I work there sometimes and this Big Lots discount is way better then at the Studio Store!
Old 07-21-09, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James View Post
Damn you, alfonso! You're going to make me take another trip to the Derby store and they probably won't have shit.
I was just at the Derby store. Got the following:

Flintstones S1-4, 6 (No 5's in sight)
Jacques Cousteau
Adventures of Superman (George Reeves) S2, 3&4 (No others sighted)
Superman Theatrical Serials
Night Court S1
War At Home S1
Pinky and the Brain V2 (No V1)
Josie and the Pussycats
Pebbles and Bamm Bamm Show
Birdman and the Galaxy Trio
WB Academy Award Nominated 3 disc set
Popeye V1
Super Friends The Legendary Super Powers Show
Drew Carey Show S1
Appleseed Ex Machina 2 disc steelbook

Also saw:
Joey S1
Some West Wing seasons
A Friends season
Most(?) of Dallas

I'm hoping to check out Wallingford later this week and pick up the missing seasons and hopefully find some of the other animation (Animaniacs, Wacky Races, etc.)
Old 07-21-09, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by theflicker View Post
I was just at the Derby store. Got the following:

Flintstones S1-4, 6 (No 5's in sight)
Jacques Cousteau
Adventures of Superman (George Reeves) S2, 3&4 (No others sighted)
Superman Theatrical Serials
Night Court S1
War At Home S1
Pinky and the Brain V2 (No V1)
Josie and the Pussycats
Pebbles and Bamm Bamm Show
Birdman and the Galaxy Trio
WB Academy Award Nominated 3 disc set
Popeye V1
Super Friends The Legendary Super Powers Show
Drew Carey Show S1
Appleseed Ex Machina 2 disc steelbook

Also saw:
Joey S1
Some West Wing seasons
A Friends season
Most(?) of Dallas

I'm hoping to check out Wallingford later this week and pick up the missing seasons and hopefully find some of the other animation (Animaniacs, Wacky Races, etc.)

Thanks for the skinny. What was the quantity situation regarding the Flinstones sets and the Appleseed steelbook?
Old 07-21-09, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Lazerrus View Post
HUGE SCORE!At my local Big Lots. Season Box Sets for $3
All 6 seasons of tales from the Crypt $3 a box set
THe Flinstones Seasons 3,4,5, $3 a set
Batman Animated series season 1 for $3 and on and on and on GO GETEM BOYS AND GIRLS. THESE JUST CAME IN TODAY!
BTW, there are 7 seasons of Tales from the Crypt
Old 07-21-09, 01:27 AM

Took a trip to the Oak Hill,WV Big Lots and got a $10 Looney Toons set this morning.
They had 1 left after I got this one. Didnt see any $3 dvd sets there... this store still had tons of the older $6 sets and had 3-4 cardboard display trays full of movies, so they may be waiting to clear out some stock.
Happy Hunting DVDTalkers!
Old 07-21-09, 01:50 AM

Will the guy who contacted me about "combining efforts" in SoCal send me another PM? I somehow lost/deleted your message before I could reply.

An update for the NoHo store (Vineland Av): they have a few new $3 movies (MGM titles), but still no TV or WB sets.
Old 07-21-09, 03:52 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles

Stopped by the NoHo store after work tonight, they had the typical OC, Dukes and Joey sets, needless to say I've never had any luck there. I also went to the La Mirada store on Imperial Highway. I picked up the following:

Batman Vol. Two (few more of these left).
Flinstones Vol. 2 & 3 (they had a bunch of these, but only Vol. 2 and 3).
Jacques Cousteau River Explorations (pretty sure I got the last one).
Old 07-21-09, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by doctaheath78 View Post
For $3 do you REALLY need to figure out when you are going to watch it?

When do you see something like that for $3. Pick it up and you can always sell it down the road if you never watch it for more than $3.
NO BRAINER IN MY OPINION.
well i kind of have far too many dvds on hand to watch anyway and while i enjoy flintstones i doubt i'd watch it a lot. i use to buy dvds all the time (big lots is partially to blame) and have kind of piled up a stock of about 100 movies and over a dozen tv shows to watch. but um if they have anything friday when i get paid i may pick some stuff up to trade or something. so i've only been grabbing tv shows there that i really want. like i was lucky to grab the only copy i saw of six feet under season three. and i would love find batman the animated series, i need the second and fourth volume. oh and i'd love to find some looney tunes as well.

Last edited by strangetramp; 07-21-09 at 04:40 AM.
Old 07-21-09, 07:13 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by hasslein View Post
My Popeye 1933-38 had a sticker that said it had an exclusive comic book in it, but there wasn't one. Was anyone else's missing the comic?
Mine was sealed, and it didn't either....I didn't care though...3 bucks I'm happy
Old 07-21-09, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by guitardedboy View Post
Mine was sealed, and it didn't either....I didn't care though...3 bucks I'm happy
Mine came with one. Weird that some do and some don't.
Old 07-21-09, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the skinny. What was the quantity situation regarding the Flinstones sets and the Appleseed steelbook?
They had a good amount of Flintstones. S1 and . . . 3 maybe aren't wrapped. S4 and 6 are in slightly lower quantities, maybe 5 more each of those, 10 of the others (1-3).

Appleseed had about 5 copies, I think.
Old 07-21-09, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They had a good amount of Flintstones. S1 and . . . 3 maybe aren't wrapped. S4 and 6 are in slightly lower quantities, maybe 5 more each of those, 10 of the others (1-3).

Appleseed had about 5 copies, I think.
Thank you, sir. I guess I better shake a leg on over there this morning.
Old 07-21-09, 09:30 AM

How much is the Powerpuff Girl set selling for? Also has anyone seen Amanda Shows dvds other than Vol 2?
Old 07-21-09, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by hasslein View Post
My Popeye 1933-38 had a sticker that said it had an exclusive comic book in it, but there wasn't one. Was anyone else's missing the comic?
I paid $30 for mine last year, and no comic book. for $3 he's complaining, jeez. its a great set, be happy! and I really enjoyed that "mission hill" for $3 that I bought totally blind, would have been a great show, cancelled way! too soon.

Last edited by jgorow; 07-21-09 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-21-09, 09:50 AM

Went to 4 stores this morning (Louisville)--looking like a pretty dry week, everyone was pretty cleaned out. I did get one lone Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol 6 for $10 for my mom, but nothing else of interest. All the Hanna Barbera stuff is gone, not even any Flinstones left at any of the stores.

One nice/knowledgeable manager told me they didn't get any dvd's this week. At another store they told me that their entire stock is getting swapped out soon with all new stuff but he didn't know when. Hmmm...

Last edited by TropicalRobot; 07-21-09 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-21-09, 10:10 AM

The one Big Lots store here in West Monroe,LA was seriously "picked over" when I went there. Only saw a few copies of "The OC", "History of Rock and Roll", "Night Court Season 1", and season 5 (the Coy and Vance season) of "Dukes of Hazzard".

Needless to say, I left empty handed. :-(
Old 07-21-09, 10:25 AM
Cool New Member

Man I just checked out 2 big lots I've never checked...nothing but JOEY's and Roots Complete collection........

The Looney tunes box set would end my quest.

I'm becoming a BigLots-aholic.

The way you know you are becoming one is when you start feeling ashamed that you've told your wife that you are going to Big Lots for the 15th time this week.

Another symptom is seeing a 18 - 30 year old boy/guy getting ready to walk into the store while you are parking. And in your mind you're thinking that he is out to get all the good box-sets before you get in there(but he probably is just an average guy not even looking at dvd's) . AHHHH (ha ha)

Last edited by guitardedboy; 07-21-09 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-21-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went to the Austin BL on Airport and they had a whole endcap away from the normal dvd bin section with what seemed to be a hardly picked-through batch of WB stuff. Picked me up a Justice League S1 Blu-Ray, Tales from the Crypt S5 & 6, and Ben Stiller Show Complete all at $3 each. They also had a ton of sealed Popeye Vol. 1 sets and nearly every season of Flintstones. Other WB sets seen were Pebbles & Bambam, Top Cat, Josie and Pussies, George Reeves Superman sets, Lois & Clark sets and probably some other shit I can't remember. No $10 sets, unfortunately.

The woman working there blurted out "no" before I could even finish my question about when they stock dvds. She then brashly asked, "Are you the one that just called about the Tales from the Crypt?" I meekly said "no". She continued, "Well, someone just called asking about those, and I told them I don't have the time to go look." I was the only one in the store...

Last edited by dullboy; 07-21-09 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-21-09, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that people who work at Family Dollar and Big Lots must really hate their lives.
Old 07-21-09, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got back from the Derby, CT store and boy am I ever so glad that I went early today. After being in the store for just a few minutes, a gang of cottontops rolled in from the old folks home and they were using their social security checks to gobble up every $3 set in the store that wasn't nailed down. I'm sure that there won't be anything left after that geezer tornado ripped through the store, but here's my haul-

Flintstones 1-4, 6
Tales From the Crypt 1-5
Popeye 1933-1938
Top Cat

I thought about Lois and Clark, but they didn't have Season 2 and I have enough of a backlog as it is. Thanks again, theflicker and alfonsosoriano.

Last edited by Sweet Baby James; 07-21-09 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-21-09, 11:00 AM

I just got back from the Derby, CT store and boy am I ever so glad that I went early today. After being in the store for just a few minutes, a gang of cottontops rolled in from the old folks home and they were using their social security checks to gobble up every $3 set in the store that wasn't nailed down. I'm sure that there won't be anything left after that geezer tornado ripped through the store, but here's my haul-

Flintstones 1-4, 6
Tales From the Crypt 1-5
Popeye 1933-1938
Top Cat

I thought about Lois and Clark, but they didn't have Season 2 and I have enough of a backlog as it is. Thanks again, theflicker.
No problem.

Oh man, it sounds like they put some more stuff out since yesterday. I didn't see Lois & Clark, Tales From The Crypt, or Top Cat yesterday. Do I bother stopping by after work? Hurm.
Old 07-21-09, 11:07 AM

I just got back from the Derby, CT store and boy am I ever so glad that I went early today. After being in the store for just a few minutes, a gang of cottontops rolled in from the old folks home and they were using their social security checks to gobble up every $3 set in the store that wasn't nailed down. I'm sure that there won't be anything left after that geezer tornado ripped through the store
here in south florida, there are huge retirement communities with busses. hope they dont get in on the big lots dvds. cottontops-lol, we call 'em "bluehairs"
Old 07-21-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just stopped by my local BL. Not much left to choose from at the moment. I picked up The Flintsones seasons 4-5 for my wife. Previously I've gotten Pinky & the Brain season 2 and Challenge of the Super Friends.

As I was checking out, the cashier chuckled and said, "We've got THOUSANDS of these in the back." Whether she meant Flintstones or TV-DVD sets in general, I don't know. I don't have the guts to ask them to go in the back for me. Maybe I'll summon up the courage on a future trip.
Old 07-21-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Do I bother stopping by after work? Hurm.
If it's not too inconvenient, I would. You never know, maybe they would have put out some LT sets by then. However, it was a real freeforall this morning. I wouldn't count on the Crypt sets still being there. BTW, I'm surprised that there were no Appleseed steelbooks left. Unless I'm blind, they were gone because I did an extremely thorough search.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.