DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 5

Old 07-20-09, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 5

I don't want anything but the TALES FROM THE CRYPT sets. Only found Seasons 3 and 6 so far. Gonna have to scour some more stores after work today.
Old 07-20-09, 03:57 PM

slightly off topic,
Has this sale affected anyone's purchase of a blu-ray player, Blu-ray discs, or even participating in the DDD 25% sale going on?

No, it's not just that BL is tapping me out financially. It's more than that. After getting so many incredible bargains (complete seasons for $3??), paying $10 or $12 for a single DVD at DDD doesn't seem anywhere near exciting anymore.

And I have been on the fence about getting into blu-ray, but BL is really spoiling me on getting so much for my $. I know that Blu-ray has better PQ (that I really want), but BL is starting to be my base comparison point for other purchases. Comparing BL to any blu-ray disc (even hugely discounted) is still a 4 to 5x higher expense ratio.

not trying to get a SD vs HD rant here, only wondered if these BL prices are affecting other people's DVD buying habits in general.

I know it has for me..
Old 07-20-09, 04:00 PM
Cool New Member

why cant the big lots employees that live in my area be nice enough to let me know when the next shipment comes in or if they have any in the back. All i ever hear is "i dont know" and have this disgusted look on their face like im bothering them. i did a return yesterday of a 2 pack scooby doo set and one of the employees rudely asked what was wrong with it. I said nothing it still sealed and just wanted to simply return it. she sighed and had to approve the return from manager even though i had receipt
Old 07-20-09, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I've thought about that. No one is saying that they're finding multiple Looney Tunes sets, but surely stores are getting more than just one. I asked a Big Lots employee about it yesterday and he said their store got 4 or 5 and he was crossing his fingers they'd get more (sounds like he wants one himself). If I walked into the store and saw multiple Looney Tunes sets, I feel certain I'd grab at least 2. And if I had one extra one, what would I do with it? There's dozens of folks here looking for one. I'm sure if I mentioned it, I'd be bombarded with PMs and it would almost turn in to who makes the best offer.
Exactly, best offer... unless you can somehow figure out who wants it for themselves and who wants it to flip it, it would just be easier to flip it yourself.

All hypothetical of course, I haven't found any!
Old 07-20-09, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Steve
slightly off topic,
Has this sale affected anyone's purchase of a blu-ray player, Blu-ray discs, or even participating in the DDD 25% sale going on?

No, it's not just that BL is tapping me out financially. It's more than that. After getting so many incredible bargains (complete seasons for $3??), paying $10 or $12 for a single DVD at DDD doesn't seem anywhere near exciting anymore.

And I have been on the fence about getting into blu-ray, but BL is really spoiling me on getting so much for my $. I know that Blu-ray has better PQ (that I really want), but BL is starting to be my base comparison point for other purchases. Comparing BL to any blu-ray disc (even hugely discounted) is still a 4 to 5x higher expense ratio.

not trying to get a SD vs HD rant here, only wondered if these BL prices are affecting other people's DVD buying habits in general.

I know it has for me..
I hear what you're saying, but not really for me, just a cheap way of filling in some holes.
Old 07-20-09, 04:07 PM

Not really.

My regular DVD buying has slowed down considerably in the last year/year and a half since I got into Blu-ray. Mostly now I only buy cult/niche stuff that I figure either won't ever be on Blu-ray or will take forever to get there. Very few blind buys any more unless they're at Big Lots prices. At $3 a pop I don't feel so bad when I end up with a piece of crap.
Old 07-20-09, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by keylimeroth
After going to 5 big lots today in northern ohio around cleveland, did not find much:

Brookpark: NOTHING

Parma Heights: NOTHING

Fairview Park: NOTHING

Elyria: Huckleberry Hound, Johhny Quest, TopCat (tons of these) and all the Tales from the crypts seasons, murphy brown(?!)

Lorain: All the flintstones seasons, Adventures of superman seas. 1-4, Batman animated series 1-2, wacky races

Spent 4 hours out today running around on my day off to look for popeye for 3 dollars and couldn't find it. I think most of these BIGLOTS are holding off putting this stuff out. Very mixed bag of sightings today.
Parma Heights had a ton of Popeye sets (as well as flinstones and others) last week. Brookgate put their stock out last Friday and I even saw some of the $10 sets there. I bought Kubrick passed on Roots and the 40 disc superbowl. Didn't see the Looney Tunes box. (I did find volume 6.) Fairview Park has been a bust so far.
Old 07-20-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
If I walked into the store and saw multiple Looney Tunes sets, I feel certain I'd grab at least 2. And if I had one extra one, what would I do with it?
You'd head on down to FYE, of course. And I for one wouldn't blame you.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9580960-post59.html
Old 07-20-09, 04:31 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

my stores are all dead from the sale, but for some reason they had a couple sets of "Top Cat" out today. Snagged one of those.
Old 07-20-09, 04:43 PM

Went to 6 different BL and

Dixie HWY: Got the shipment but said wouldnt be out till tomorrow

Tylersville: Had Nothing New

Middletown: Got shipment but said they couldnt put it out till the weekend cause it was ad sales, (HBO sets and Cartoons)

Lebanon: Flintstones S5 S6, NipTuck S4 (SD), Top Cat, Louis and Clark S3

Princeton Pike: Nothing new

Colerain: Flintstones S1,S2,S3, Popeye Vol 1
Old 07-20-09, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by bi0hzrd51

Middletown: Got shipment but said they couldnt put it out till the weekend cause it was ad sales, (HBO sets and Cartoons)

Superman is gay!
Old 07-20-09, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

^The tights and cape didn't clue you in?
Old 07-20-09, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by John Galt
^The tights and cape didn't clue you in?
I guess it's easier to spot when there's a teenage sidekick attached at the hip! Besides, I'm gay and I don't have tights or a cape
Old 07-20-09, 05:21 PM
Cool New Member

HUGE SCORE!At my local Big Lots. Season Box Sets for $3
All 6 seasons of tales from the Crypt $3 a box set
THe Flinstones Seasons 3,4,5, $3 a set
Batman Animated series season 1 for $3 and on and on and on GO GETEM BOYS AND GIRLS. THESE JUST CAME IN TODAY!
Old 07-20-09, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lazerrus
HUGE SCORE!At my local Big Lots. Season Box Sets for $3
All 6 seasons of tales from the Crypt $3 a box set
THe Flinstones Seasons 3,4,5, $3 a set
Batman Animated series season 1 for $3 and on and on and on GO GETEM BOYS AND GIRLS. THESE JUST CAME IN TODAY!
Excited?
Old 07-20-09, 05:28 PM

I went back today and they had even more tv sets than yesterday. I got:

Flintstones S4, S5, S6
Space Ghost & Dino Boy
Dastardly & Muttley
Old 07-20-09, 05:34 PM

My wife went to our local Big Lots twice today (thanks) and, based on 'insider' info (she went to school with one of the guys that stocks the store and he told us the $3 seasons were coming in today), I finally got a few of the good $3 sets:

Flintstones S3, 5, 6
Superman (all, I think)
Wacky Races
A couple of Batman sets
Popeye Volume 1

I will probably go back tonight when I get home from work because I really want some Tales From the Crypt sets!
Old 07-20-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In keeping with my previous posts regarding the lack of much inventory in the Portland Metro area, I thought I'd update what I found yesterday (which wasn't much, but was still better than I thought it would be).

Went to the Mall 205 store, which had bulked up its inventory considerably. There was one other person that I noticed with a cart mainly filled with DVDs, so I figured I'd have a fighting chance.

Managed to pick up:

West Wing - S2 (2 copies)
Popeye - Vol. 1 (2 copies)
SuperFriends - S2 (1 copy)
Flintstones - S2 (2 copies)
Larry King - Best Interviews (1 copy)
Super Bowls (not the huge set - XXI through XXX, I think) - (1 copy)
Harvey Birdman & The Galaxy Trio - (1 copy)

I think there were one or two others that I picked up, but I'm away from the stack at the moment and trying to do this from memory.

I'd hoped to get out to the Gresham location as well (always a much better stock than Mall 205, but Mall 205 is much closer to my house), but that didn't work out, so I'm not sure what they have. Hope to get out there in the next week or so. Still really good deals to be had, even without the extra 20% off.
Old 07-20-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
Location, location, location??
I'm in Sacramento, not SoCal. Sorry.
Old 07-20-09, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bwsmom
Harvey Birdman & The Galaxy Trio - (1 copy)
He didn't gain the first name of Harvey until he became a lawyer.

I went back to that same Big Lots 2 hours later after I got out of work - someone did a nice job of hoarding most of the supply. They had about 50 copies of Popeye at 12:30. By 2:30, they were cleaned out. Same goes for all the Flintstones sets and some of the miscellaneous Hanna-Barbara I came across (Josie and the Pussycats, Penelope Pitstop and a couple of others).

It's really foolish for them to be doing this since there are SO many copies being flooded on Amazon and eBay, they're driving eachothers prices down. There won't even be a profit margin.
Old 07-20-09, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Steve
slightly off topic,
Yes, I don't even want any $3.00 single disk DVD's from Big Lots right now! In the Big Lots stores, I'm strictly looking for $3.00 multiple disks sets only. DDD left a message on my home phone about the 25% sale today and I have zero interest in poking around the DDD website. Once I get my "Wacky Races" for $3.00 perhaps I will then revert back to my normal DVD shopper ways again!
Old 07-20-09, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly
He didn't gain the first name of Harvey until he became a lawyer.
Purist!
Old 07-20-09, 06:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sdfan21
why cant the big lots employees that live in my area be nice enough to let me know when the next shipment comes in or if they have any in the back. All i ever hear is "i dont know" and have this disgusted look on their face like im bothering them. i did a return yesterday of a 2 pack scooby doo set and one of the employees rudely asked what was wrong with it. I said nothing it still sealed and just wanted to simply return it. she sighed and had to approve the return from manager even though i had receipt
Considering that there are threads like this one all over the internet and many people mentioning that they "talked to an employee", I have little doubt that the store policy is "mum's the word" for the most part unless an employee spills the beans or is an inside connection for someone.

I get the same reaction from Big Lots employees in my area and suspect that they get asked "Are any more in the back?" a lot. Especially from the universally hated resellers, traders, etc...

Personally, I prefer to quietly gather my intelligence and silently wait until it is the perfect time to go to the store.
Old 07-20-09, 06:24 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by bi0hzrd51

Beechmont Ave Cincinnati OH store had nothing new.

Latonia KY store had nothing new.

I plan to check these daily this week as they are on my route from work to home.
Old 07-20-09, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Connecticut update

Went to the Newington, CT store again tonight, bought:

Tales from the Crypt - S2, S3, S5, S6 - This were the only season they had, otherwise I would have bought whatever they had. (More remained of these seasons)
Popeye - 1933-1938 (There were TONS of these)
Jonny Quest - Season 1 (Only one I spotted)

They also had TONS of Flintstones S1, S2 and S3 (might go back for these) along with a good assortment of Lois and Clark sets. Also spotted two Veronica Mars S2 and Top Cat. I think that is all. Also a lone copy of Joey S1 leftover on the bottom shelve. Poor Joey.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.