DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 4

Old 07-16-09, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Big Lots Part 4

I really feel stupid for paying $30 for that Popeye set last year.
I made my daily stop at the Midwest City, OK store on the way home from work last night. It was mostly the same stuff as before. They had rearranged everything and maybe put out a few more single DVDs but still no Roots, Wild Bunch, Right Stuff, Big Red One, Popeye, Looney Tunes, or any Blu-Rays or other rarities.
Old 07-16-09, 09:49 AM

Went back to another store today and found Flintstones season 5. The very helpful and nice store manager told me they had Looney Tunes, Super Bowl and Kubrick megasets yesterday morning and I missed them (no Imax that he could recall though). Also said they had all 6 Flintstones, Huckleberry Hound, Top Cat etc. They had a huge restock of Popeye today too. Keep looking folks, there's lots to go around it seems.

Also saw Everwood Season 1 for $3, that was new to me. (oops, I see Infusion07 already listed it)

Picked up a Roots box for my mom last night and sure enough it's scratched pretty badly--but most of the time unless they are serious deep scratches they will play fine, so I guess I'll hang onto it. With that shitty packaging $10 should have been the original MSRP.

One guy I was talking to said this may be fallout from the Circuit City bankruptcy and that's why we're seeing such insane deals. I hadn't even thought of that...

How crazy is it that suddenly $6 season sets don't seem like quite as great a deal now. This is even better than the Camelot laserdisc clearance frenzy.

Last edited by TropicalRobot; 07-16-09 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-16-09, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by TropicalRobot View Post
... Camelot laserdisc clearance frenzy...
I remembered that!

May I ask where is the BL you mentioned about?
Old 07-16-09, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't find anything in my stores, but my friend in CA scored me a bunch of stuff:
Seasons 2-6 of Tales From the Crypt
Flintstones S2 and S4 (they saw a S5 but it was opened, so I passed--in hindsight, for 3 bucks I shoulda just got it)
Josie and the Pussycats
Top Cat
Dastardly & Muttley
Wacky Races
Lois & Clark S3 and S4
Pebbles and bamm bamm
Popeye Vol 1
Wonder Woman The complete Collection
Super Bowl XXI-XXX
2 of Adventures of Superman Season 2 (one for my Dad)
2 of Adventures of Superman Season 5 & 6 (one for my Dad)

I hope to score some of these here still so I don't have to pay for shipping (that box is gonna be HEAVY) but I'm just happy that I'm guaranteed to get that much stuff in case I can't find them here...
Old 07-16-09, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by tsetse27 View Post

May I ask where is the BL you mentioned about?

Louisville KY
Old 07-16-09, 10:48 AM

Haven't found any of the insane box set deals here in Mississippi, anyone in the deep south seen 'em?

Did pick up a few titles anyway:

He Knows You're Alone
A Stranger is Watching
Of Unknown Origin
The Wind and the Lion

BUT THE REAL NEWS IS... the cashier gave me a 20% off coupon good for this Sunday from 5-9 p.m.... anybody else gotten one?
Old 07-16-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RJ MacReady View Post
BUT THE REAL NEWS IS... the cashier gave me a 20% off coupon good for this Sunday from 5-9 p.m.... anybody else gotten one?
You mean THIS one?
http://www.biglots.com/coupon/buzzclubcoupon.aspx

That place is gonna be a frackin' madhouse on Sunday...
Old 07-16-09, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by TropicalRobot View Post
Louisville KY
I haven't checked Louisville yet only Shepherdsville. Which stores in Louisville had the $3 boxsets?

Thanks!
Old 07-16-09, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by RJ MacReady View Post
Haven't found any of the insane box set deals here in Mississippi, anyone in the deep south seen 'em?

Did pick up a few titles anyway:

He Knows You're Alone
A Stranger is Watching
Of Unknown Origin
The Wind and the Lion

The supervisor at the Clinton Twp MI store said they will be honoring the coupon all day, not just 5-9 pm. as the coupon states.

Probably not a bad idea to ask the stores you visit and see if any are doing the same. You would have a much better chance to get what you're looking for when everyone else is waiting until 5pm.
Old 07-16-09, 11:26 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by kenbenobi View Post
I didn't find anything in my stores, but my friend in CA scored me a bunch of stuff:
Seasons 2-6 of Tales From the Crypt
Flintstones S2 and S4 (they saw a S5 but it was opened, so I passed--in hindsight, for 3 bucks I shoulda just got it)
Josie and the Pussycats
Top Cat
Dastardly & Muttley
Wacky Races
Lois & Clark S3 and S4
Pebbles and bamm bamm
Popeye Vol 1
Wonder Woman The complete Collection
Super Bowl XXI-XXX
2 of Adventures of Superman Season 2 (one for my Dad)
2 of Adventures of Superman Season 5 & 6 (one for my Dad)

I hope to score some of these here still so I don't have to pay for shipping (that box is gonna be HEAVY) but I'm just happy that I'm guaranteed to get that much stuff in case I can't find them here...
i opened a case when i scored my big find and all the copies of the Flintstones season #5 in the case were not sealed. they were brand new with all the disks mint but they box had no shrinkwrap.
Old 07-16-09, 11:31 AM

I had decent luck in the DFW area and left a *bunch* behind. I was mainly looking for Flintstones and the Looney Tunes sets but didn't have any luck on the LT and only had S3 and S6 of the Flintstones.

I did grab myself a copy of the following since it was too good to pass up but ideally I'd swap these to fill in my gaps on the Flintstones and get some LT seeasons if anyone has any to trade.

Murphy Brown S1
Lois and Clark S1-3
Popeye V1
Tales from the Crypt S3, 5, and 6
Pinky and the Brain - V2
Josey and the Pussycats
Old 07-16-09, 11:34 AM

Has anyone on the West Coast found these yet? I went to four stores yesterday in the Central Valley CA area (Modesto, Stockton, Lodi) and didn't find any of the new stock - although one store told me that Thursday is they're usual restocking day.
Old 07-16-09, 11:40 AM

I went to the store in Cincinnati that Will M went to yesterday. Everything was picked over, couldn't even get my damn drew carey i keep trying to find. They had lots and lots of Roots collection left, but i don't like that show. Got the $3 HB sets and murphy brown.
Old 07-16-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Anyone in Texas find anything yet? I really, really want the Hanna Barbera sets.
Old 07-16-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Checked the Raleigh stores again this morning and found nothing
Old 07-16-09, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by yellahoosh View Post
Has anyone on the West Coast found these yet? I went to four stores yesterday in the Central Valley CA area (Modesto, Stockton, Lodi) and didn't find any of the new stock - although one store told me that Thursday is they're usual restocking day.

I think I may hit Modesto today. Turlock had nothing new yesterday.
Old 07-16-09, 11:56 AM

Stopped in today since the truck arrived yesterday. Not a damn thing new was put out. The $6 DVD shelves are looking pretty empty. I realize that BL is a close-out type store, but you'd think they would have product on hand for advertised specials.
Old 07-16-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got back from 2 Big Lots the first one south of Boston had just put out a new display another one of those cardboard 4 ft. displays Damn I am thinking that the clerk is gonna put out the Kubrick or some of those animation sets But NO.

here is what I bought:

God,The Devil & Bob $3
The Fugitive Kind (Brando) $3
Mother Night (Nolte , the only copy they got in) $3
Dinner Rush $3

The I drove to the Milford Mass. store and again Nothin! and this store is stacked with DVDs I picked up a lot of titles I have seen mentioned but have never seen at the Big Lots that i shop at near my house.
Here is what I picked up:

Cabin In The Sky $3
Jeremiah Johnson (keepcase) $3
The Last Voyage $3
"Mr. Skeffington: $3
Humoresque $3
Woman Of The Year $3
Ride The High Country $3
Rock N Roll High School $4
SKYJACKED $3
Steelyard Blues $3 (i don't think I have seen this title mentioned before?)

Again if any of you are from that area there was nothin new like the animation sets or the Kubrick.....Kinda disappointing BUT some of these titles
I have been searching for.

Last edited by Drake; 07-16-09 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-16-09, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by GenPion View Post
Anyone in Texas find anything yet? I really, really want the Hanna Barbera sets.
Found a shipment of HB sets in Austin Texas at the Research Blvd store. Flintstones S1 & S3, Popeye, Top Cat, War at Home, Lois & Clark S1 (got only copy)... clerks tell me Austin got Tales from the Crypt sets but I missed them.
Old 07-16-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dabsabre View Post
I had decent luck in the DFW area and left a *bunch* behind. I was mainly looking for Flintstones and the Looney Tunes sets but didn't have any luck on the LT and only had S3 and S6 of the Flintstones.

I did grab myself a copy of the following since it was too good to pass up but ideally I'd swap these to fill in my gaps on the Flintstones and get some LT seeasons if anyone has any to trade.

Murphy Brown S1
Lois and Clark S1-3
Popeye V1
Tales from the Crypt S3, 5, and 6
Pinky and the Brain - V2
Josey and the Pussycats
Which store, there are like 15 in the DFW area.
Old 07-16-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by yellahoosh View Post
I know the San Diego area got em. That's where my friend scored me a bunch... I don't know specific stores though...
Old 07-16-09, 12:25 PM

Could someone compile a new Box Set listing of what's recently become available? Would be helpful! Thanks!!!
Old 07-16-09, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by akrate69 View Post
The supervisor at the Clinton Twp MI store said they will be honoring the coupon all day, not just 5-9 pm. as the coupon states.

Probably not a bad idea to ask the stores you visit and see if any are doing the same. You would have a much better chance to get what you're looking for when everyone else is waiting until 5pm.
I just received a 20% off coupon from the cashier and on my coupon they wrote 10 AM over 5 PM so it must of been a misprint.
Old 07-16-09, 12:43 PM

For those inthe Orlando Area -- saw the following at the store on Semoran Blvd:

Popeye - Volume I -- over 30 copies
Flintstones Seasons 1-3 -- about 10 copies each
Larry King Live Interviews -- over 10 copies
Penelope Pitstop -- 3 copies
Josie and Pussycats - 1 copy

Also found (and purchased) Bugsy 2 disc special edition for $3.00

Happy Hunting
Old 07-16-09, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by marald View Post
I haven't checked Louisville yet only Shepherdsville. Which stores in Louisville had the $3 boxsets?

Thanks!
Breck lane had a bunch yesterday but they were pretty cleaned out of the $3 box sets when I went today--just a couple of Flintstones.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.