Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - March '09

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - March '09

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-09, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - March '09

^

My kiosk order for Berserk shipped out today.
Old 03-12-09, 10:33 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 536 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - March '09

TRSI Bargain Bin Price Drops & Additions...
Old 03-12-09, 10:45 PM
WTK

Old 03-12-09, 11:53 PM
WTK

Weekly Specials & Bargain Bin / Closeout Items Highlights from RightStuf.com

» RightStuf.com Mega Update
» Weekly Specials
» Bargain Bin: DVD / Book / Others
» Closeout Items
» Movie Packs
» Shawne's Deal of the Day

Highlights - Select Bargain Boxsets
Spoiler:

Highlights - Weekly Specials (Updates on Thursdays)

Last edited by WTK; 03-21-09 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-13-09, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Panko
i've checked both the anime and disney/children's sections and there are no Miyazaki/Ghibli titles to be found at that store (although i think i saw Howl's in the anime one day, unless i'm just confusing myself). i did a search on the kiosk for it and Kiki's Delivery Service just to check if they were available for the sale and they came up full price. Pom Poko and Whisper of the Heart weren't even in the system.
Thanks for the info, I guess I can skip stopping by there again (depressing to look at the anime I just can't get at this time). Did you try the Santee store also?

Originally Posted by Edubble
They had a couple copies of Howl's Moving Castle at the Eastlake store yesterday. Don't know if you live near or would be in that area, but just an fyi.
Thanks for the info but I am in Ramona and the gas to drive down there would kill any savings. I'll keep that in mind in case I end up making it down there for any reason.
Old 03-13-09, 02:01 AM

i went to Santee on saturday (2nd trip). personally i think La Mesa has the better overall selection but they are both pretty much the same.
Old 03-13-09, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by duganrm
Thanks for the info, I guess I can skip stopping by there again (depressing to look at the anime I just can't get at this time). Did you try the Santee store also?

Thanks for the info but I am in Ramona and the gas to drive down there would kill any savings. I'll keep that in mind in case I end up making it down there for any reason.
No problem! I hope you find all you are looking for before the sale ends.
Old 03-13-09, 02:49 PM

Pumpkin Scissors collectors edition here I come. Also picked up Clannad collection 1 and the last set of Piano from TRSI.

Also, picked up Samurai Champloo volume 1 w/artbox off Amazon from a seller a week ago for $25.00 and wouldn't you know it...I end up getting the complete set.
Old 03-13-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mordaane
Also, picked up Samurai Champloo volume 1 w/artbox off Amazon from a seller a week ago for $25.00 and wouldn't you know it...I end up getting the complete set.

They wouldn't happen to have another copy for sale now would they?
Old 03-13-09, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by GenPion

They wouldn't happen to have another copy for sale now would they?
Sadly not. A couple other decent things in the store.

http://www.amazon.com/shops/fallingout2006
Old 03-13-09, 05:20 PM

TRSI restocked Shinkai Collection DVD (Hyb)... Only 13 remain though.

Last edited by mordaane; 03-13-09 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-13-09, 07:12 PM
WTK

TRSI Bargain Bin Update...
Old 03-14-09, 08:54 AM

My-Hime Volume 7 box problem

Quick question for anyone who took advantage of the recent special for the My-Hime DVDs: Anyone else get a volume 7 LE box with tons of wrinkles and creases on the laminate coating over the cardboard of the box itself? I couldn't believe my eyes how bad it was on mine...
Old 03-14-09, 09:08 AM

Posted in the secondspin thread with updated copies of my greasemonkey scripts:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9325846-post57.html

One of the things that I've set up the script to be able to do is highlight any dvds or studios that match a preset list of studios or languages. (Requires a small amount of modification to the code to turn on -- look for "highlight_languages" / "highlight_studios" to see examples: I've commented out the values that I use, but the examples cover most anime if you want to use those).

This makes it incredibly easy to spot cheap anime on the site -- just browse dvds sorting by price and set it to highlight anything by ADV, Right Stuf, etc. or anything with Japanese language.
Old 03-14-09, 11:18 AM

Re: My-Hime Volume 7 box problem

Originally Posted by theguyoverthere
Quick question for anyone who took advantage of the recent special for the My-Hime DVDs: Anyone else get a volume 7 LE box with tons of wrinkles and creases on the laminate coating over the cardboard of the box itself? I couldn't believe my eyes how bad it was on mine...
Same with mine, but the disc itself was also off the hub and unplayable. I contacted them and they sent me a new box & disc. The disc was fine, but the box was equally as bad as the first...although is a bargain bin for a reason, so I made no bones about it.

Last edited by sabin357; 03-14-09 at 06:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-14-09, 02:54 PM

Today i got my order from TRSi including "Chobits 3-pack (Discs 1-3) DVD (Hyb)"

All 3 DvDs were sealed in one package and only Disc 1 and 2 were sealed individually.

Disc 3 wasnt sealed, on the back was a sticker "Not for individual sale".

I checked Disc 3 but it was brandnew with no scratches and no damages. The Case was fine too.

I dont understand what this sticker means.

Does anybody had the same "problem" with other 3-Pack-Geneon-DvDs?
Old 03-14-09, 06:05 PM

Got back from a trip and decided to go try the kiosk thing over at Best Buy. But before I went to the kiosk I decided to see what might be left in the anime section. To my surprise they had received copies of DBZ Season 8 (which wasn't there a week ago), so I picked that up. They also received copies of Samurai 7 on blu-ray, but they knew blu-rays are not supposed to be part of the sale.

Not surprisingly, the clerks did not know what I was talking about when I asked about the free shipping on media. But I went ahead and purchased Love Hina (which is on backorder) anyway. When I got back to my house I called Best Buy Customer Service. They setup a case number so after the item is shipped I can call back in and have the shipping credited back to me.

My backlog is huge, but at least now my wish list is short.
Old 03-14-09, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by RockJack
Disc 3 wasnt sealed, on the back was a sticker "Not for individual sale".

I dont understand what this sticker means.

Does anybody had the same "problem" with other 3-Pack-Geneon-DvDs?
Don't read too much into it. It simply means the DVD is "not for individual sale." These stickers are pretty much pointless.

Remove the sticker if you want and sell it if you want. It's the same exact thing as buying the stand alone volume without the sticker. It's just cheaper to buy it as a "set" package.

My entire Last Exile original boxset (artbox plus seven individual stand alone volumes with coverart) came with those "not for individual sale" stickers. It's nothing more than just a sticker.
Old 03-14-09, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Erdrick
Got back from a trip and decided to go try the kiosk thing over at Best Buy. But before I went to the kiosk I decided to see what might be left in the anime section. To my surprise they had received copies of DBZ Season 8 (which wasn't there a week ago), so I picked that up. They also received copies of Samurai 7 on blu-ray, but they knew blu-rays are not supposed to be part of the sale.
Saw the same and picked up DBZ Season 8 that wasn't there 2 weeks ago. My Best Buy also had a sign saying that Blu-ray's weren't included in this.
Old 03-14-09, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by strawberry99
Don't read too much into it. It simply means the DVD is "not for individual sale." These stickers are pretty much pointless.

Remove the sticker if you want and sell it if you want. It's the same exact thing as buying the stand alone volume without the sticker. It's just cheaper to buy it as a "set" package.

My entire Last Exile original boxset (artbox plus seven individual stand alone volumes with coverart) came with those "not for individual sale" stickers. It's nothing more than just a sticker.
I see...

I thought something is "used" or "broken" and thats why it isnt for an individual sale.

The 3DVDs were sealed in one big foil. But the dvds itself were sealed by the manufacturer too, except DVD 3.

But thanks for your explanation
Old 03-15-09, 02:46 PM

[QUOTE=RockJack;9326337]Today i got my order from TRSi including "Chobits 3-pack (Discs 1-3) DVD (Hyb)"

QUOTE]

I was on Rightstuff.com and noticed some of the anime with this symbol (Hyb)
I might kick myself, but I can't think today..What does it mean for the DVD when it has "Hyb"?
Old 03-15-09, 03:00 PM

I might kick myself, but I can't think today..What does it mean for the DVD when it has "Hyb"?
I'm pretty sure that it means the DVD has both an English Dub and Japanese subtitles version.

Hope you're not kicking yourself.

Better yet...this taken from Right Stuf's FAQ:

What are some products listed as (D), (S) or (Hyb)?
Although DVDs allow for the possibility of dual language anime, it is not always possible to license a title for dual language release in the States. So, you end up with manufacturers releasing Subtitle Only (S) or Dubbed Only (D) DVDs. Subtitled DVDs display the dialogue on the bottom of the screen while the actual voices are still in Japanese. Dubbed means the music (probably) is intact, but the voices have been redone in English. You might also see (Hyb) which means that both the subtitled and dubbed versions are available on the same DVD.

Last edited by anifan; 03-15-09 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-15-09, 08:53 PM

Hi guys,

i have a small problem that bothers me a long time.

I bought the Chobits Thinpak Box last year and i got it NEW and SEALED. But when i opened the cases, the dvds were "mad" on the backside.

It looks like that the data layer wasnt printed/bonded well enough on the plastic dvd layer. There are parts where its normal but there are also parts that are much darker than usual and i can see small "clouds" on it too.

Well it looks weird and my dvd player (not PC) is complaining about it. It cant read the discs (BAD DiSC) and/or is juddering during the playback.

On my PC (BenQ Drive) everything is fine, no problems with playing (Media Player Classic used) and i scanned the dvds with Nero CD/DVD. No Error/broken data on the DVDs. The DVDs itself have/had no scratches.

Now i bought the "normal" Chobits DVDs to replace them. The ones from rightstuf look "ok" and normal. I checked them with my DVD Player and everything was fine.

I am a bit afraid of GENEON and the older DVDs like Last Exile .

I didnt get the Thinpak Box from Rightstuf. But i am still afraid to get this kind of "broken" DVDs again .

If somebody is asking why i didnt return the box set, the problem was that the onlineshop didn't reply to my emails.

Last edited by RockJack; 03-15-09 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-16-09, 11:30 AM
WTK

Captivating Deals on Titles From Yaoi Press @ RightStuf.com

Discover captivating deals on boys’ love and yaoi titles from Yaoi Press.

From now through March 18, take 33% OFF the retail prices of all titles from Yaoi Press! (This includes items that are in-stock, pre-order and on-order!)

How? Just use the following reusable coupon code when you check out through RightStuf.com:

Coupon Code: captivating
Expires: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 11:59 p.m. CDT

REMEMBER: If you’re a Got Anime member, you can stack your discounts for even more savings! (This means you have the potential to save up to 40% OFF the MSRP on all books from Yaoi Press. Check out www.gotanime.com for details.)

* Not sure which products are included in the sale? To get started, just click on the “Captivating Deals” graphic on RightStuf.com: It will take you to a list of all of the Yaoi Press items we carry! (Please note: Bargain Bin, Weekly Special and Closeout items are not eligible for this sale because they’re already awesome deals, and this will be noted on the individual product pages for these items!)

Please note: Some items in this sale are for adults only. You will have to click through your acceptance of our adult terms of sale to view those specific items. Should you not be interested in this type of material, please do not view these items.
Old 03-16-09, 04:58 PM
WTK

Re: My-Hime Volume 7 box problem

Originally Posted by sabin357
Originally Posted by theguyoverthere
Same with mine, but the disc itself was also off the hub and unplayable. I contacted them and they sent me a new box & disc. The disc was fine, but the box was equally as bad as the first...although is a bargain bin for a reason, so I made no bones about it.
It's more or less a manufacture defect. Most of copies have that defect with variants in wrinkles. BEI had a neat idea on the artbox, but that portion didn't pan out very well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.