Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) 80% Borders.com code

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-08, 06:35 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DerangedHermit
Basically a good chunk of Warner Bros. TV on DVD and some others (HBO?) were marked at $5.99 (including Band of Brothers, Sex and the City, Friends, Monk and some people even got Sopranos seasons) at most Targets and people here quickly gobbled it up.

UGH! Can't believe I missed that one! I'm so jealous.

I get how computer glitches and discount codes sneak through accidentally. But I worked in B&M retail for many many years. HOW do they not notice things like that when they're putting them on the shelf?? Common sense, people!
Old 09-01-08, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by cinemaphile

UGH! Can't believe I missed that one! I'm so jealous.

I get how computer glitches and discount codes sneak through accidentally. But I worked in B&M retail for many many years. HOW do they not notice things like that when they're putting them on the shelf?? Common sense, people!
It was a computer glitch then too.
Old 09-01-08, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by kingtopher
It was a computer glitch then too.
Yeah, obviously the tags shouldn't have said $5.99. But wouldn't you think at least ONE of the people stocking the shelves would have thought, "$6?? Is this right? Maybe we should check this out." ??
Old 09-01-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can't believe I never heard of that glitch. Wow.
Old 09-01-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's definitely not stealing. It's really their fault for using coupon codes for that amount that can be used more than once. If it's a customer service issue, you think they'd offer something like that as a one time use code. The fact that it's in the system and can be used by regular schmoe's like us is a big mistake on THEIR part. If I had a company and there was a multi-use code for 80% off, I wouldn't want it getting out there. Making sure customers stay on the honor system is silly.

I'm expecting this to get cancelled too, but you know what? I'm definitely going to call and make some consumer threats. Their website does say they can't alter or cancel the order. Give me my money back? No thanks, you charged my account before sending out the order so give me what I paid for. And the fact their website says in print that they can't alter or cancel the order? I'd definitely at least make the threat that I'd get a class action suit going and see what happens. If I make out at all, then man I'll be both surprised and pleased. It just sucks I go back to work tomorrow and have to wait all day to find out what happened!
Old 09-01-08, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly
Can't believe I never heard of that glitch. Wow.
McFly! McFly!

Old 09-01-08, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
It's definitely not stealing. It's really their fault for using coupon codes for that amount that can be used more than once. If it's a customer service issue, you think they'd offer something like that as a one time use code. The fact that it's in the system and can be used by regular schmoe's like us is a big mistake on THEIR part. If I had a company and there was a multi-use code for 80% off, I wouldn't want it getting out there. Making sure customers stay on the honor system is silly.

I'm expecting this to get cancelled too, but you know what? I'm definitely going to call and make some consumer threats. Their website does say they can't alter or cancel the order. Give me my money back? No thanks, you charged my account before sending out the order so give me what I paid for. And the fact their website says in print that they can't alter or cancel the order? I'd definitely at least make the threat that I'd get a class action suit going and see what happens. If I make out at all, then man I'll be both surprised and pleased. It just sucks I go back to work tomorrow and have to wait all day to find out what happened!
They don't actually charge your card until they ship, FWIW.
Old 09-01-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

That's bull. I have a pending charge that's waiting to go through on my card. I don't know if my bank differenciates the difference on my statement online but it's there. And the only reason it didn't go through is because the bank isn't open until tomorrow.
Old 09-01-08, 07:47 PM

I placed an order yesterday with the crazy 80% off....got an email but don't see it in my order history. I have a Borders Rewards acct but did not use it for the order (did not want to have another screen to get through)...my email for my rewards and my order are the same though. Does anyone know if you can look an order up with just an order #?
Old 09-01-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

You can't. But I didn't set up a sign in-able account until AFTER i placed my order. As long as you used the same email and info, it seems to get linked to your account automatically. I set up the account last night, and the history appeared this morning.
Old 09-01-08, 07:53 PM

In having to refresh dozens of times every step of the way, it looks like something happened that I was worried about -- 2 of my 3 orders went through TWICE....maybe. I actually placed 3 orders, my "order status" page shows 4 separate orders, and my credit card shows holds/pending charges for 5 amounts. We'll see what happens.
Old 09-01-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

If you had a company, you'd make sure this code couldn't be used? Hate tah let you know something, but Borders thought the same thing. Apparently an employee--probably recently fired from their online department, decided to leak the coupon, knowing full well what would happen. As some of us already know, internal leakage of information, is the worst possible scenario. However, not being able to quickly correct the problem, is not necessarily the fault of the company. For all we know the code was programmed by a disgruntled person into their system.

Borders does have a TOS. And in their TOS, it does say by you using the site, they have the right to modify anything on it at anytime. So, YMMV on your orders.

But more importantly, as to your Class Action lawsuit idea...

Borders, if faced with a Class Action lawsuit from you, would simply tell the judge you obtained a coupon which was not for consumer use. It was for internal use only, and for employee use only.

You were not an employee. Therefore, your use of the coupon, voided any contractual obligations Borders had, whether implied or infered.

Are you an employee, mzupeman2?

Didn't think so.

Please don't be an ass by even posting this crap about threatening a company who is "stealing" from you. You know damn well what the coupon was supposed to be used for, you know damn well you are not in the right, and you know damn well you expect something for nothing.

Sorry, but this isn't reality. If you get your stuff, hey, thumbs-up to you. I have no problems with that. But you pissed me off by implying this employee-use-only coupon somehow entitled you to the entire Borders company.

If you get your shit, post a smilie or a dancing banana and call it good.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 09-01-08 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-01-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That's bull. I have a pending charge that's waiting to go through on my card. I don't know if my bank differenciates the difference on my statement online but it's there. And the only reason it didn't go through is because the bank isn't open until tomorrow.
You have a credit authorization. There's a difference.

DVD Polizei has it right. Stop with the entitlement bullshit, it's annoying.
Old 09-01-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm not saying I don't understand what it was for. However, if a coupon like that was for internal use, wouldn't you take precautions as a company to make sure that it couldn't have been used on the public site then? That's basically all I'm saying here, that and it was their mistake that this kind of thing had potential to happen in the first place. I know I'm owed nothing. I meant I'd try it on the phone with customer service to see if I'd get my way. I wouldn't actually waste my time and money on legal action. My post was strong but I believe it was fairly clear that I wouldn't actually do that. If you don't want to at least make a call to customer service and try to get the deal, that's fine. But it can't hurt.

Last edited by mzupeman2; 09-01-08 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-01-08, 08:30 PM
Cool New Member

I meant I'd try it on the phone with customer service to see if I'd get my way. I wouldn't actually waste my time and money on legal action.
No, instead you plan to harangue some poor, overworked, underpaid customer service employee who has no responsibility for this fiasco and whose crappy job is to listen to unhappy or disgruntled people all day. Good idea.

What gets me about this whole thing is why do they have an 80% off code in the first place? Who could it have been intended for, and under what circumstances? (And how can I join this club?) And even supposing that there's a legitimate use for such a thing, who decided to make it CS8001 rather than, say, XWU8-UY4E-FFI1-0R43? (Now watch that turn out to be a valid Amazon GC code...) The whole thing just seems odd to me. DVD Polizei's suggestion that this may be programmer sabotage is intriguing.
Old 09-01-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It is. It had to leak from inside, it makes perfect sense. I don't think they'd ever email that code or give it to someone on the phone to make them a happy customer.

I'd also like to know under what circumstance it would be used for. How badly do you have to be treated as a customer, to have a customer service coupon worth 80% off? If you have to give up that much, that customer probably isn't coming back anyway, lol.
Old 09-01-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Yeah, obviously the tags shouldn't have said $5.99. But wouldn't you think at least ONE of the people stocking the shelves would have thought, "$6?? Is this right? Maybe we should check this out." ??
If anyone noticed while stocking the shelves, realistic best case scenario, they said "Damn six bucks each? I gotta get me a couple of these." Worst case scenario, "Six bucks each? That can't be right. Time for ebay or no-receipt return/exchange."

It is definitely hard to believe an actual 80% off coupon code, at least one that's non-unique and not highly limited. Wouldn't be surprised if some webgeek just got laid off from Borders.com on Friday, and left a present.

I don't think using a code like this is stealing. I got it "from a friend", I try to use it, it either goes through or gets cancelled. I go yay or shucks, and move on. What does piss me off is when it's inconsistent (see: the Amazon fiasco). Cancel all orders, or fulfill all, or at least fulfill the ones that aren't trying to rape the company, a certain dollar or item amount or certain cutoff time. I am not at all averse to calling and bitching to the company (keeping in mind of course the person I speak to had nothing to do with it personally) if I don't get something I truly *am* owed, but I've never been one to pitch a fit for not getting something I really don't deserve, but hope to get it by intimidating them/being a rude jackass (this is not directed at anyone in this thread, I've seen people in B&Ms who do that and it's really nasty.)
Old 09-01-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

At this point after reading some comments I'll call to see if they can tell me why the order was cancelled for clarification, I'll bring up some points, but I'm not going to get nasty. It's not worth it.

EDIT: Multiple people are starting to report at the slickdeals forum that orders are shipping. Emails are being recieved. Let's see if I recieve mine soon!

Last edited by mzupeman2; 09-01-08 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-01-08, 09:04 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by rdclark
So if some employee accidentally left a box of DVDs sitting out by the back door when they took a smoke break, and you happened upon them, would it be OK to just pick them up and take them home, even though it was clear that they belonged to the store and some poor schlub just made a mistake?
I look at these things most like finding a $20 bill (or, in this particular instance, eleven $20 bills ) on the sidewalk. I'll look around to see if I can identify who it belongs to, and return it if I can. But if I can't, I'll keep it without any guilt and feel like I've just had a little bit of good luck for a change. I expect Borders will want their eleven Jacksons back, and that's fine, but if not, they've got a new customer for life in me.
Old 09-01-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, tons of people are reporting shipped orders.

Please, oh please oh please....
Old 09-01-08, 09:06 PM

Borders is extremely incompetent. If you get a shipment confirmation email, next step is the conversion of pending to actual charges. During the $5 off $5 code fiasco, they forgot to charge some orders and I had a few that were never charged. Pending should drop off after 30 days if nothing else happens.
Old 09-01-08, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
Yeah, tons of people are reporting shipped orders.

Please, oh please oh please....
are they seeing any system or order to how these are shipping? i mean are the people who ordered earliest the ones seeing their stuff shipped?

i havent gotten any notices yet, and am hoping that those of us who ordered later arent going to get screwed since thats when the site started freaking out.

:fingers crossed:
Old 09-01-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts
Damn, I'm going to be pretty damn surprised if these actually ship. I got one order through for Planet Earth Blu Ray when I was just testing the deal. I went and added $2000 worth of Blu Rays and was in the checkout process when the site went down. Would have been nice to have completed that checkout, but I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.
Old 09-01-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
are they seeing any system or order to how these are shipping? i mean are the people who ordered earliest the ones seeing their stuff shipped?

i havent gotten any notices yet, and am hoping that those of us who ordered later arent going to get screwed since thats when the site started freaking out.

:fingers crossed:
I ordered 5 Blu-Rays, 3 in stock and 2 preorders. I ordered around 8:30 PM and selected free shipping. I received a shipping email for 2 of the in stock items and they are being shipped by USPS. BTW, I never received a confirmation email for the order. Good luck to all that ordered(and try not to rub salt into the wounds of those who didn't).
Old 09-01-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ordered at around 6:30 PM EST and have not yet received a shipping notice.

So apparently there is no rhyme or reason to how things are being shipped.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.