DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   24 - All Six Seasons for $27 Total! (bestbuy instore) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/534558-24-all-six-seasons-%2427-total-bestbuy-instore.html)

dsskid 07-03-08 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by drmoze
Actually, his valid point (and spot-on analogy) that grocery stores NEVER refuse MANUFACTURER'S coupons for their sale items hasn't been emphasized here, as I recall. And it is the same situation. The store gets reimbursed for the mfr's coupon discount--no skin off their back. Every grocery store I've ever patronized accepts manufacturer's coupons, even for items that are offered at a sale price at a particular time.

So, why does BB decide not to do this?

Because they want to dictate to the consumer what kind of deal that they can have. They are scum.

Kicker_of_Elves 07-03-08 01:13 PM

They probably got a lot of heat from Fox.

Fox Ex 1: Holy Shit, we're selling a shitload of that new 24 Special Edition Tin and the other seasons. We've already moved over a million or 2 million sets at Best Buy and it's only Tuesday.
Fox Ex 2: Hells Yeah Baby! How much we banking?
Fox Ex 1: *Looks at the paperwork* What the fuck? They're selling em for $1.99 each after buying the First Season tin.
Fox Ex 3: It's that coupon we put on the front of 24 season 1 when we re-re-released it, buy 1 get $15 off the other sets. Best Buy has it's own sale going right now and our coupon works with it since no one put "Does not work with sales" or some shit like that on it.
Fox Ex 1: Oh Fuck!
Fox Ex 2: Oh Fuck!
Fox Ex 3: That means we gotta reimburse Best Buy for the difference for the coupons used.
Fox Ex 1: Shit! We gotta call Best Buy and shut this shit down!
Fox Ex 2: Yeah!
Fox Ex 3: I warned you fuckers about this. How the fuck we gonna make AvP 3 or Die Hard 5 now when we gotta pay Best Buy back a zillion dollars?

speedy1961 07-03-08 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by kicker_of_elves

Fox Ex 1: Holy Shit, we're selling a shitload of that new 24 Special Edition Tin and the other seasons. We've already moved over a million or 2 million sets at Best Buy and it's only Tuesday.
Fox Ex 1: *Looks at the paperwork* What the fuck? They're selling em for $1.99 each after buying the First Season tin.
Fox Ex 3: It's that coupon we put on the front of 24 season 1 when we re-re-released it, buy 1 get $15 off the other sets. Best Buy has it's own sale going right now and our coupon works with it since no one put "Does not work with sales" or some shit like that on it.
Fox Ex 1: Oh Fuck!
Fox Ex 2: Oh Fuck!
Fox Ex 3: That means we gotta reimburse Best Buy for the difference for the coupons used.
Fox Ex 1: Shit! We gotta call Best Buy and shut this shit down!
Fox Ex 2: Yeah!
Fox Ex 3: I warned you fuckers about this. How the fuck we gonna make AvP 3 or Die Hard 5 now when we gotta pay Best Buy back a zillion dollars?

:lol:

excom101 07-03-08 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by kicker_of_elves

??

Funny... but that assumes that Fox is making less money off of the boxes when Best Buy sells them that cheaply, which shouldn't be the case. Fox is still simply reimbursing Best Buy for the $15/set as described on the coupon and Best Buy is paying Fox whatever wholesale rate to which they had already agreed.

Presumably, Fox gets the same amount of money either way, if people buy this many sets/use this many coupons.

FangsFirst 07-03-08 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by excom101
??

Funny... but that assumes that Fox is making less money off of the boxes when Best Buy sells them that cheaply, which shouldn't be the case. Fox is still simply reimbursing Best Buy for the $15/set as described on the coupon and Best Buy is paying Fox whatever wholesale rate to which they had already agreed.

Presumably, Fox gets the same amount of money either way, if people buy this many sets/use this many coupons.

Yup.

Though perhaps whoever arranged a wholesale price to allow BB to sell them this cheap (so that 16.99 wouldn't be at least AS BIG a loss to BB) was not aware of the coupon, heh

OldBoy 07-03-08 02:02 PM

noticed when i went ot Best Buy today there was a big printed paper on the checkout counter saying "the whole deal with the coupon on the sets is no longer valid and we're sorry for the inconvenience and all that..." i was so happy i got this when i did.

drmoze 07-03-08 02:05 PM

I'm gonna check out my BB, which restocked the 24 seasons today. They were out of season 1 since at least Monday morning, so maybe it'll fly under the radar with a clueless or nice checkout person.

maxfisher 07-03-08 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by excom101
??

Depends. If Fox believed Best Buy would be selling the sets for a minimum of $35 each, they might have figured an attach rate of 1 (or less than 1) additional set for each S1 LE sold. So then they're projecting each coupon will cost them $15 or less. If Best Buy then sells the sets as loss leaders and inadvertently bumps the attach rate up to 5 for each S1 LE sold, that's a pretty big unexpected expenditure coming out of Fox's pocket. I have no problem with either company freaking out and Best Buy pulling the S1 LE's from the floor or at least removing the coupons. It is bullshit that they'd refuse to honor the coupon if a customer has it in hand though. At that point, it seems as though they're very shadily reneging on an offer.

Robertwoj 07-03-08 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital
Three Things... 1 Bonus thing...

1. Service plans at best buy are the biggest joke! Blah Blah "get geek sqaud" and blah blah "get 2 year protection"... NO THANKS!!!

They tried to get me to sign up for a service plan and Geek squad and I laughed in their face and told them to stop speaking and finish ringing me up. Turns out when I bought my computer I have 1 year with geek squad free and 2 years warranty with Dell... Best buy employees are scum for the most part in my opinion.

2. I tried to get in on this legit deal only to be told, they pulled the coupons off the Sets. I asked why and I was told, it wasn't right, it was ringing up at 2 bucks. I said, no shit, that's the deal and how it works out. I tried to fight this and they said they destroyed the coupons. Yeah, right.... I then was told, if I were to buy Season 1 Tin at 34 dollars or whatever full price was I could get ONE other season for 1.99. I almost flipped, I said, why would I pay 34 dollars when it's on sale for 16.99. He said, oh, umm, yeah well, then for 16.99 you can get only one additional for 1.99...

Obviously best buy employees are one step above IDIOT... I refused and walked out of the store.

3. I wrote my letter stating my claim to someone higher up on the best buy chain of command. I got a reply 3 days later and will recieve a 25 dollar gift card. I now have 2 25 dollar gift cards coming in the mail. WOW.

After these cards come, I will no longer shop at BB unless a deal like this strikes again.

I'm not sure who would make for a better conversation.... Best Buy Employees or a pair of socks.!.!

Just be careful.... you might not be able to apply the cards to a deal like this because some manager will say you can't combined gift cards with any other offer. :p

Robertwoj 07-03-08 03:10 PM

Actually, his valid point (and spot-on analogy) that grocery stores NEVER refuse MANUFACTURER'S coupons for their sale items hasn't been emphasized here, as I recall. And it is the same situation. The store gets reimbursed for the mfr's coupon discount--no skin off their back. Every grocery store I've ever patronized accepts manufacturer's coupons, even for items that are offered at a sale price at a particular time.

I made the exact same analogy back in post 193 (quite a few pages back).

mnementh 07-03-08 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Moopher
I can attest to that, all of the four closest best buys have some incredible looking female managers.

That statement is useless without pictures. :)

Moopher 07-03-08 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by mnementh
That statement is useless without pictures. :)

Ah, touche'!

If I can do it without looking like a 20 year old creeper, No problem ;)

thejester 07-03-08 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
You hadn't seen the sign, but know distinctly where is was? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only because I went to another BB(who showed to have 1 SE in stock) & was looking for it specifically. This BB had the 24s on the top row - next to sign. Never went & looked at BB where I got screwed over by an idiot.

movieguru 07-03-08 07:22 PM

I managed to get a rain check for all the seasons even though season 6 was in stock. I wonder if I wait until after the sale is officially over and go back in to get the sets; will the coupon work again. If they've only disabled it during the sale period, then it would work again after the sale is over. Of course I'll need to find a S1SE with the coupon on it.

JB7 07-03-08 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Robertwoj
Just be careful.... you might not be able to apply the cards to a deal like this because some manager will say you can't combined gift cards with any other offer. :p

Some idiot tried to tell me a couple months back, I couldn't use a reward zone certificate because a item was on sale. (FYI is wasn't one of those % off coupons but rather my actual reward of $5 off)

zekeburger1979 07-04-08 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by thejester
Well, I apparently came across a "BB Manager 'In Training'" today - or at least one who qualifies based on stupidty level. And, he didn't even appear to be a BB employee (that I could tell - black t-shirt with graphic of something & an orange Texas Longhorns baseball cap).

I almost got this deal to work today - with or without the block of the coupon by BB Corp. In the end, it fell apart quickly.

Short of it is that I saw this deal too late on Sunday. By next AM, I had located a store with 2 S1s - but no other seasons. Hid one of them & went back this AM after re-stock. Sure enough, they had 1 of each S2-6 & the 2 S1s.

Went to checkout & coupon wouldn't scan. Clerk had a supervisor come over & she showed him how do a coupon override. Clear sailing? No.

Clerk didn't catch the x5 aspect - only did 1. Had to get the 2nd S1(he'd put coupon in lock-drawer) so he could read it again. Another supervisor came over (to help another register) and was catching up to speed on my transaction.

At that time, a "bright" F-A$$ punk (next in line w/cap) chimed in saying "is that the $15 off coupon for 24? Uh, you have a sign over there saying that it isn't valid this week because of the sale. It says it'll be good again next week." (or something damn near that).

I hadn't even seen the sign as it was above the very top row & the 24 seasons were on the bottom (T... - not by '24'). Needless to say, from that point on, it fell apart. So I left empty handed. Pissed me off.

I know the #1 rule in deals is "NEVER call". #2 has to be "don't F-it up for another customer".

That guy deserves a tasering.

I'm glad I got in on this deal.

Double_Oh_7 07-04-08 09:13 AM

Oh, for crying out loud. The deal is dead, can't we all just get over it and move on?

OldBoy 07-04-08 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Oh, for crying out loud. The deal is dead, can't we all just get over it and move on?

n o.

life is all about bitchin' and moanin', it is the American way, so you accept it and move on!

laidbacklarkin 07-04-08 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7

Can't agree more. This forum is filled with gloaters and whiners. Just fuckin' move on, deals over - onto the next

DVD Polizei 07-04-08 10:38 AM

Or stop posting?

D'oh! I'm keeping this thread alive.

cinemaphile 07-04-08 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Can't agree more. This forum is filled with gloaters and whiners. Just fuckin' move on, deals over - onto the next

I don't think anyone is "gloating". Some people are simply sharing that they are still having some success at select places - in case anyone out there wants to give it a last shot.

Give it one more day, then the thread will die on its own, since sale will be over.

drmoze 07-05-08 11:54 AM

This thread is not quite dead yet.

Just went to the local BB, and picked up seasons 1-5 (no copies of season 6 were on the shelves). Went to the cashier, and of course the coupon didn't register. She was going to take $15 off the total, and I explained it was $15 off each season of 2-5. She was a bit confused (15%? You don't have 2-6, just 2-5, etc.) and called a manager over.

I explained the mfr. coupon. He read it, then said it wasn't good with other coupons. I said there's no other coupon. He then said their sale price was like another coupon or other offer. I explained how that didn't make sense, as it was a mfr's coupon separate from the store price. I used the grocery store analogy. Then I mentioned that there was a sign right on the shelf stating that you can get $15 off each of seasons 2-6 when purchased with season 1. He asked me to go show him, which I did, and he agreed that's what it said. I pointed out that was what the coupon on season 1 was for.

The manager agreed, was curious why they hadn't dealt with this coupon all week because it was a good deal. (I pointed out that they hadn't had season 1 earlier, and I just found a copy.) He told the cashier that it should be $15 off each season with season 1, even though season 1 wasn't on sale. (I think he looked up the regular season 1 set, which isn't on sale. The tin rang up as $16.99.)

So, to cap it off, the cashier took $15 off each season, incl. season 1, with an override. Total for seasons 1-5 out the door today (July 5) was $17.06. (They charged tax first before taking off the mfr coupon, but I wasn't going to push my luck to get the tax reduced!)

Sweet.

OK, a bit of a gloat, but also an update that if you can find the season 1 tin today, you still might get the deal. :up:

BTW, would season 6 be worth picking up at another BB for $17 on sale?

waylonsmithers 07-05-08 12:13 PM

Season 6 is the worst season of 24 by far, but if you enjoy the show you might as well pick it up.

OldBoy 07-05-08 12:28 PM

This thread is not quite dead yet.

Just went to the local BB, and picked up seasons 1-5 (no copies of season 6 were on the shelves). Went to the cashier, and of course the coupon didn't register. She was going to take $15c off, and I explained it was $15 off each season of 2-5. She was a bit confused (15%? You don't have 2-6, just 2-5, etc.) and called a manager over.

I explained the mfr. coupon. He read it, then said it wasn't good with other coupons. I said there's no other coupon. He then said their sale price was like another coupon or other offer. I explained how that didn't make sense, as it was a mfr's coupon separate from the store price. I used the grocery store analogy. Then I mentioned that there was a sign right on the shelf stating that you can get $15 off each of seasons 2-6 when purchased with season 1. He asked me to go show him, which I did, and he agreed that's what it said. I pointed out that was what the coupon on season 1 was for.

The manager agreed, was curious why they hadn't dealt with this coupon all week because it was a good deal. (I pointed out that they hadn't had season 1 earlier, and I just found a copy.) He told the cashier that it should be $15 off each season with season 1, even though season 1 wasn'ton sale. (I think he looked up the regular season 1 set, which isn'ton sale. The tin rang up as $16.99.)

So, to cap it off, the cashier took $15 off each season, incl. season 1, with an override. Total for seasons 1-5 out the door today (July 5) was $17.06. (They charged tax first before taking off the mfr coupon, but I wasn't going to push my luck to get the tax reduced!)

Sweet.

OK, a bit of a gloat, but also an update that if you can find the season 1 tin today, you still might get the deal. :up:

GLOATER!!! Double_Oh_7 is going to eat you alive, then take your seasons!!!!!!

drmoze 07-05-08 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
GLOATER!!! Double_Oh_7 is going to eat you alive, then take your seasons!!!!!!

:sad: But he won't get season 6, because I don't have it! :shrug:

Glad I didn't listen to Double_Oh_7, because the deal lived for me today. :D