DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   24 - All Six Seasons for $27 Total! (bestbuy instore) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/534558-24-all-six-seasons-%2427-total-bestbuy-instore.html)

abintra 07-07-08 12:04 AM


Originally Posted by shyguy1083
MSRP is still only a "suggested" retail price. best buy takes that into consideration when they decide THEIR "regular price." that is the price price that shows up in their system as "regular retail" or something like that. I've seen their inventory screen when their employees have checked stock for me and it pops up showing "regular price" and then if it's on sale, the "sale price" is shown underneath. so it's not some abitrary number. the REGULAR PRICE is the price they list for a new, non-sale season set.

Is their regular price the $49.99 price listed on the sticker or does it differ in their computers (meaning the $15 off manufacturer's coupon is only good at Best Buy when they are selling it at that $49.99 price)?

daddydaryl 07-07-08 12:16 AM


Originally Posted by jjcool
It is unfortunate that your opinion isnt the one that counts, though. And any reduction from the regular price is an "offer". Not sure how you can think otherwise.


For that matter, the regular price is an offer. See, BB has a way out no matter what :fart:

drmoze 07-07-08 12:54 AM


Originally Posted by daddydaryl
For that matter, the regular price is an offer. See, BB has a way out no matter what :fart:

Wow. Good point! :lol:

stonecountry 07-07-08 01:05 AM

I went last monday to Best Buy to do this, but they had sold out of S3 and S4, and I was only going to do it to get them all at once. They had two tins and a whole bunch of S6. I called around to the other 3 or 4 Best Buys not too far away, and not one store within a day of the sale had all the seasons at one place. Half of them barely had any sets left. I did see a guy pick up some 24 sets though as I was looking thru them that asked me if I had seen this deal online. I wonder if he was a fellow Nashville DVDtalker?

shyguy1083 07-07-08 02:08 AM


Originally Posted by abintra
Is their regular price the $49.99 price listed on the sticker or does it differ in their computers (meaning the $15 off manufacturer's coupon is only good at Best Buy when they are selling it at that $49.99 price)?

from what i can tell, the $49.99 is considered their regular price. which is also why the white stickers on their sets are at 49.99. i don't think they ever change them at all once they're put out on the floor. not sure though. but yea, it seems that the $15 off coupon should "only" work if they're bought at that price and nothing else. of course, their system doesn't always recognize this, i guess, which is what led to this deal.

voyagerbob 07-07-08 01:40 PM


Originally Posted by pridesticks06
So let me get this straight - they paid you a dollar for each set of 24? That or I really suck at math or you suck at explaining...

You got everything correct. Gave me a buck to take each of the four seasons (including season one).

OldBoy 07-07-08 01:44 PM


Originally Posted by voyagerbob
You got everything correct. Gave me a buck to take each of the four seasons (including season one).

i and i am sure others would be real interested to see what that reciept looks like...

mayorofsmpleton 07-07-08 06:37 PM


I found it exactly where I had put it on Monday, when they were out of a couple of other seasons. It was originally on the refill cart by the tv shows, and only 1 copy.
What's your address? I'm going to need it in order to kill you in your sleep... :saber: ;)

Torchur317 07-07-08 09:26 PM

Thanks OP,I was also lucky enough to get this deal in Indianapolis, Indiana....

drmoze 07-07-08 11:27 PM


Originally Posted by mayorofsmpleton
What's your address? I'm going to need it in order to kill you in your sleep... :saber: ;)

snooze = lose :shrug: (I don't do the calculus!)

;)

mayorofsmpleton 07-08-08 11:07 AM


snooze = lose
It's probably for the best. I thought about it and realized even if I got season 6 it will probably be years before I get around to revisiting some of the older seasons... and possibly a decade before revisiting season 6... and so I've decided to sell off my sets in anticipation of the eventual 24: The Complete Series that's bound to come out sometime in the next 5-7 years... I figure that's enough time to have forgotten a lot of the twists, etc... so that the show is surprising again. :)

drmoze 07-08-08 04:39 PM


Originally Posted by mayorofsmpleton
It's probably for the best. I thought about it and realized even if I got season 6 it will probably be years before I get around to revisiting some of the older seasons... and possibly a decade before revisiting season 6... and so I've decided to sell off my sets in anticipation of the eventual 24: The Complete Series that's bound to come out sometime in the next 5-7 years... I figure that's enough time to have forgotten a lot of the twists, etc... so that the show is surprising again. :)

I never saw anything past season 1 (was in night school and did not want to catch sporadic episodes!). Plus I'm having surgery this week, so I'll have lots of downtime to watch. Perfect timing for me!

Does this mean you won't kill me in my sleep? ;) )

mnementh 07-08-08 06:09 PM


Originally Posted by drmoze
snooze = lose :shrug: (I don't do the calculus!)

Calculus? All I see is algebra. Cancel out like terms and you're left with

noz = l

which makes no sense. :)

Robertwoj 07-08-08 06:35 PM


Originally Posted by mnementh
Calculus? All I see is algebra. Cancel out like terms and you're left with

noz = l

which makes no sense. :)

You didn't finish yet. Continue by rearranging the term "snooze" to "snozoe" by using the commutative property of multiplication.

By a direct substitution (noz = l, as you determined), you get

snozoe = sloe

Since "sloe" and "slow" are homonyms, they can simply be substituted for each other when spoken aloud. Thus, you get

snooze = lose = slow

Clearly, this means that if you didn't plan ahead, you were slow to act. Makes perfect sense now -smile-

yellowlt4 07-08-08 11:19 PM


Originally Posted by scott1598
i and i am sure others would be real interested to see what that reciept looks like...

Why, he got a good deal. What good will a scanned reciept do? I've made many purchases this same way.

shyguy1083 07-08-08 11:57 PM


Originally Posted by yellowlt4
Why, he got a good deal. What good will a scanned reciept do? I've made many purchases this same way.

you've made purchases where THEY PAY YOU to take dvds off their hands? where do you shop?

yellowlt4 07-09-08 12:04 AM


Originally Posted by shyguy1083
you've made purchases where THEY PAY YOU to take dvds off their hands? where do you shop?

I know I have been paid to take DVD's at Kroger using a similar method by stacking Manuf copons with in-store coupons. I have walked out of Best Buy with a few free DVD's in similar fashion I have gotten alot of food the same way at a local grocery chain named HEB. In fact they just paid me $2.44 to take 3 bottles of Treseme shampoo and conditioner home with me. They key is to do it the same way Voyagerbob did it, he spent over $400 so there was nothing there to raise a red flag to the cashier.

mayorofsmpleton 07-09-08 12:06 AM


Does this mean you won't kill me in my sleep?
All in good time my dear... all in good time. :chainsaw: :suicide: :johnwoo2: :consume:


Plus I'm having surgery this week, so I'll have lots of downtime to watch. Perfect timing for me!
That's funny... I'm performing surgery this week... good luck... ;)

No seriously, good luck dude. Just don't watch any episodes if you're on pain-killers... the plots might go over your head... You'll think you're hallucinating Kim being attacked by a mountain lion or something...

ENDContra 07-09-08 03:37 AM

So when I went last Sunday to get these, they were out of S2 and S6, so I picked up an extra S4 and S5 at $2 each, hoping to possibly exchange them later. Well, I definitely should have done it before the $16.99 sale ended. I went in, said I didnt have my receipt and asked if I could do a 1 for 1 exchange. Guy says no problem. So I go and get the two sets I want, bring them back, and he tells me that apparently, when you do an exchange with no receipt, they can only give you credit for the lowest price in the past 30 days. So since the sets are regular price this week, Id have to pay almost $70 to make the exchange. No thank you.

So, apparently Im going to sit on these and hope they dont go on sale again until after August 5th :).

GMan2819 07-09-08 09:10 AM

^^^If you had paid for them with a credit card, they could've looked it up for you. Or, if you had a Reward Zone membership and your card was scanned when you bought the first sets, they could look it up for you.

sauce07 07-09-08 10:46 AM

Well my local Best Buy had 1 copy of S1 last week with no coupon on it, yesterday they had 10 with the coupon. Restocking or putting them back out?

Denver Broncos 07-10-08 11:15 AM

The day of the sale I called to complain about the rudeness of the manager at the store and in response they gave me a 25.00 giftcard (came in yesterday). For all those who filed make sure you let customer service know the situation and hopefully you'll get the gift card too. That way the total will be less than 2.50!

Good luck all!

kenbenobi 07-10-08 12:51 PM


Originally Posted by Denver Broncos
The day of the sale I called to complain about the rudeness of the manager at the store and in response they gave me a 25.00 giftcard (came in yesterday). For all those who filed make sure you let customer service know the situation and hopefully you'll get the gift card too. That way the total will be less than 2.50!

Good luck all!

Darn, when I called I only got a $15 GC. My store's manager was possibly the rudest manager I have ever met...

yeldarb367 07-10-08 12:56 PM

I went in last Sunday in the afternoon and my local BB had already pulled the coupons off the Collector's Sets :(

Brent L 07-10-08 06:59 PM

Not everyone who works at a Best Buy is a brainless asshole.

However, I've never met anyone who worked at a Best Buy store that was in any way any sort of manager that wasn't a brainless asshole. At Best Buy, it must be a requirement to become a huge ass once you are given any power at all.

For what it's worth, I got my $25 gift card in the mail today.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.