DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   24 - All Six Seasons for $27 Total! (bestbuy instore) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/534558-24-all-six-seasons-%2427-total-bestbuy-instore.html)

DVD Polizei 07-02-08 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by .unholy
And they can refuse to accept any other form of payment just as easily. In fact, they can refuse to sell anything to anyone, and don't even need to justify that decision.

Why is it so difficult for so many people to accept that BB does not really have any obligations to its customers prior to the purchase? They have the right not to honor the coupon. They have the right to refuse double-discounting. They have the right not to sell merchandise.

Are these "good" things to do? Depends on your perspective. Are they good business practices? Probably not. Are they unethical? Maybe. Are they illegal? Definitely not.

It's really interesting to see people acting like they are entitled to get in on this deal just because someone else did. Guess what: BB owes you nothing. Deal with it. The good ole' days of "the customer is always right" are long gone now.

Customer is always right is for stores which acknowledge errors, don't make them on an almost predictable basis, and don't have conflicting managers who seem to not have any policy to go by and instead, refer to their 12-year old memories.

By the way, we're talking about a manufacturer's coupon. Not a Best Buy coupon. So, Best Buy's $16.99 price is of itself. If we were arguing about Best Buy having produced a $75 coupon IN ADDITION to their sale prices on their 24 sets, then you'd have a point. But they aren't. We're talking about two totally different things being combined.

When Best Buy says "Not valid with any other offers", what exactly do they mean. They aren't specific. They don't mention manufacturer's coupons are valid with in-store sale prices. Why? Because they allow some coupons and not others.

So, once again, Best Buy's policies are vague, vary from store to store, and confuse customers.

Bob_F1 07-02-08 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by unity311unity
Can someone give me a rundown of the last 15 pages? Is the deal still working? What's goin' on?

OK, here's what happened:

1) Sunday Morning: Cool New Member acejh87 posts an amazing deal: All six seasons of 24 available at Best Buy for $26.94 + tax through the use of a magical coupon, the likes of which has never been seen before.

2) About an hour later the deal is confirmed by another member.

3) Mass hysteria breaks out. Season 1 steelbox sets with the magical coupon are snatched up at Best Buy stores all over the United States. One million 24 season sets are sold for $1.99 each. Craigslist and eBay are flooded with copies for resale.

4) On Wednesday, Best Buy sends a panicky double secret internal memo out to all Best Buy stores. The magical coupon is not to be accepted under any circumstances. Deal dies a quick death. Double secret internal memo posted on internet.

5) unity311unity asks for a rundown.

The Cow 07-02-08 11:08 PM

so close. If you would have added the countdown clock and a Jack Bauer voice it would have been perfect.

Tick-tock, tick-tock...

Private Donut 07-02-08 11:10 PM

What's really amusing is that the coupon on the front of the Season 1 SE box is actually in the picture on Amazon. LOL!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...mL._SS500_.jpg

Private Donut 07-02-08 11:15 PM

And I'll say it again, if you attempted to use the coupon and were denied, file a complaint with the BBB. Worst case scenario you get nothing, and waste five minutes. Best case you get the $75 you deserved in the first place.

LostFan 07-03-08 12:09 AM

This just irks me. I would have less a problem with it if I could be assured that every Bestbuy manager and higher up does not use a coupon for any items that are on sale when they go to the grocery store. If they live what they preach, I got no problem with it (still think they are wrong, but at least they are consistent). I wonder how FOX feels about their coupon (designed to sell more dvd sets) being denied?

DVD Polizei 07-03-08 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Private Donut
And I'll say it again, if you attempted to use the coupon and were denied, file a complaint with the BBB. Worst case scenario you get nothing, and waste five minutes. Best case you get the $75 you deserved in the first place.

I will be filing a complaint, but mostly because I have evidence Best Buy employees were taking 24 S1 SE sets off the shelves at one particular store.

I drove all the way down to a certain Best Buy store to pick 24 S1 SE and S6, but the S1 SE was not in stock. This is AFTER I received an email stating it was in stock. I get back home and I see an email that says "unfortunately your item is unavailable". Total bullshit. I accrued needless gas costs and a lot of frustration at the least, as well as outright lying by employees.

And now amazingly the same Best Buy store has every single season in stock a plenty. Sorry, I'm not letting this one go by me without a complaint. Not only did this little stunt effect those who wanted all the seasons at a great price, this also effected those who just wanted to take advantage of the B1G1 for $1.99 offer as well.

lacubs 07-03-08 01:05 AM

i would loved to get on this deal,too bad best buy is too mess up!

Denver Broncos 07-03-08 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by thejester
Well, I apparently came across a "BB Manager 'In Training'" today - or at least one who qualifies based on stupidty level. And, he didn't even appear to be a BB employee (that I could tell - black t-shirt with graphic of something & an orange Texas Longhorns baseball cap).

I almost got this deal to work today - with or without the block of the coupon by BB Corp. In the end, it fell apart quickly.

Short of it is that I saw this deal too late on Sunday. By next AM, I had located a store with 2 S1s - but no other seasons. Hid one of them & went back this AM after re-stock. Sure enough, they had 1 of each S2-6 & the 2 S1s.

Went to checkout & coupon wouldn't scan. Clerk had a supervisor come over & she showed him how do a coupon override. Clear sailing? No.

Clerk didn't catch the x5 aspect - only did 1. Had to get the 2nd S1(he'd put coupon in lock-drawer) so he could read it again. Another supervisor came over (to help another register) and was catching up to speed on my transaction.

At that time, a "bright" F-A$$ punk (next in line w/cap) chimed in saying "is that the $15 off coupon for 24? Uh, you have a sign over there saying that it isn't valid this week because of the sale. It says it'll be good again next week." (or something damn near that).

I hadn't even seen the sign as it was above the very top row & the 24 seasons were on the bottom (T... - not by '24'). Needless to say, from that point on, it fell apart. So I left empty handed. Pissed me off.

I know the #1 rule in deals is "NEVER call". #2 has to be "don't F-it up for another customer".

I WOULD BE PISSED ENOUGH TO CALL OUT THE GUY WHEN HE GOT OUT OF THE STORE...BASTARD DESERVES A BEAT DOWN!

The Cow 07-03-08 01:51 AM

Rule# 3: Don't post in all caps.

Josh-da-man 07-03-08 02:02 AM

Looks like I barely got in on this deal.

I was out shopping for fireworks and stuff for our Thursday BBQ the other day and went to Best Buy, and they had all of the seasons, except, as I suspected, the coupons had all been peeled off of the season one sets. (I checked very single set!)

Then did a quick walk-thru of the DVD section and was able to find a S1SE tucked away in a different section -- being a tin, it was easy to spot. And, lo and behold, there was the coupon, still attached to it.

I scooped up the other five sets, 2-6, found a bored-looking cashier who rang me up. I presented the coupon, and the system accepted it. I assume that since my store makes a habit of removing coupons from the packaging, they didn't bother telling their cashiers not to honor the deal.

Six seasons of 24 for under thirty bucks! (And the only 24 DVD set I have is the first season, back when Amazon had it on sale for $13.49 minus the 10% "friend" discount. I reckon I'll sell it off to make this an even better deal.)

y0girlg0tskillz 07-03-08 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by C_Fletch
Can you believe I have been asked to buy an extended service plan on a DVD!?!??!?!?

WTF do I need a f'in service plan for on a DVD?!?!?!?!?

Are you sure about this or are you over-exaggerating? I work at Best Buy, and we do NOT offer service plans for DVDs, you might be confusing it for a video game. There's software protection for games in case it crashes, gets scratched and doesn't read, etc. None for DVDs, though.

g 07-03-08 02:12 AM

at circuit city they try to do an extended warranty on dvd's. They have asked me several times.

Josh-da-man 07-03-08 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
OK, "glitch" is the wrong term. "Fortunate stacking" is more like it, but when you consider that most discounts are not meant to stack on top of sales,

Um, no.

It's not a discount, it's a manufacturer's coupon. I've never had a grocery store refuse to let me apply a manufacturer's coupon to an item that's already on sale. And most of the grocery stores I visit even double the value of the coupon as a general policy.

Stores are also under no obligation to honor manufacturer's coupons. Including Best Buy. But in this case, they're just being dicks by not wanting to apply it to this sale. (Like others have brought up, the value of the coupon is reimbursed by the manufacturer. And Best Buy is also not losing money on this sale, either, as it's most likely authorized by Fox.)

The Cow 07-03-08 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Um, no.

It's not a discount, it's a manufacturer's coupon. I've never had a grocery store refuse to let me apply a manufacturer's coupon to an item that's already on sale. And most of the grocery stores I visit even double the value of the coupon as a general policy.

Stores are also under no obligation to honor manufacturer's coupons. Including Best Buy. But in this case, they're just being dicks by not wanting to apply it to this sale. (Like others have brought up, the value of the coupon is reimbursed by the manufacturer. And Best Buy is also not losing money on this sale, either, as it's most likely authorized by Fox.)

That's all been covered over and over and over, but feel free to pile on.

The Cow 07-03-08 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by thejester
I hadn't even seen the sign as it was above the very top row & the 24 seasons were on the bottom (T... - not by '24').

You hadn't seen the sign, but know distinctly where is was? :lol: :lol: :lol:

mnementh 07-03-08 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by C_Fletch
Give me a break. You guys(BB) set the sell prices. You guys put out the DVDs. You guys SEE the coupons.

You guys made a webpage featuring the $15-off promotion :)

Manzana 07-03-08 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Looks like I barely got in on this deal.
I scooped up the other five sets, 2-6, found a bored-looking cashier who rang me up. I presented the coupon, and the system accepted it. I assume that since my store makes a habit of removing coupons from the packaging, they didn't bother telling their cashiers not to honor the deal.

This happened on Tuesday evening or Wednesday? I've had the coupon since Sunday afternoon, but the coupon didn't help me because S2-S5 didn't get restocked until Tuesday at which point the coupon was disabled in the system at my stores. From what I hear it was disabled nationwide, so unless you're posting regarding your experience before Tuesday afternoon, you must have a "magic" Best Buy store that is immune from nationwide system coupon deactiviations.

Raw_and_Vital 07-03-08 08:32 AM

Three Things... 1 Bonus thing...

1. Service plans at best buy are the biggest joke! Blah Blah "get geek sqaud" and blah blah "get 2 year protection"... NO THANKS!!!

They tried to get me to sign up for a service plan and Geek squad and I laughed in their face and told them to stop speaking and finish ringing me up. Turns out when I bought my computer I have 1 year with geek squad free and 2 years warranty with Dell... Best buy employees are scum for the most part in my opinion.

2. I tried to get in on this legit deal only to be told, they pulled the coupons off the Sets. I asked why and I was told, it wasn't right, it was ringing up at 2 bucks. I said, no shit, that's the deal and how it works out. I tried to fight this and they said they destroyed the coupons. Yeah, right.... I then was told, if I were to buy Season 1 Tin at 34 dollars or whatever full price was I could get ONE other season for 1.99. I almost flipped, I said, why would I pay 34 dollars when it's on sale for 16.99. He said, oh, umm, yeah well, then for 16.99 you can get only one additional for 1.99...

Obviously best buy employees are one step above IDIOT... I refused and walked out of the store.

3. I wrote my letter stating my claim to someone higher up on the best buy chain of command. I got a reply 3 days later and will recieve a 25 dollar gift card. I now have 2 25 dollar gift cards coming in the mail. WOW.

After these cards come, I will no longer shop at BB unless a deal like this strikes again.

I'm not sure who would make for a better conversation.... Best Buy Employees or a pair of socks.!.!

TGM 07-03-08 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital
I'm not sure who would make for a better conversation.... Best Buy Employees or a pair of socks.!.!

at least you wouldn't mind jerking off on a pair of socks.

dvd182 07-03-08 10:35 AM

Who wants to write the "stages of DVD glitch grief" post? It happens every time a deal like this comes up, and I think the cycle is almost complete here...

My Other Self 07-03-08 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
at least you wouldn't mind jerking off on a pair of socks.

Not necessarily. I've seen some very luscious looking females that work at Best Buy.

TGM 07-03-08 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by mcfly
Not necessarily. I've seen some very luscious looking females that work at Best Buy.

but any mired in middle management?

Moopher 07-03-08 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by mcfly

I can attest to that, all of the four closest best buys have some incredible looking female managers.

drmoze 07-03-08 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
That's all been covered over and over and over, but feel free to pile on.

Actually, his valid point (and spot-on analogy) that grocery stores NEVER refuse MANUFACTURER'S coupons for their sale items hasn't been emphasized here, as I recall. And it is the same situation. The store gets reimbursed for the mfr's coupon discount--no skin off their back. Every grocery store I've ever patronized accepts manufacturer's coupons, even for items that are offered at a sale price at a particular time.

So, why does BB decide not to do this?