DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   24 - All Six Seasons for $27 Total! (bestbuy instore) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/534558-24-all-six-seasons-%2427-total-bestbuy-instore.html)

My Other Self 07-02-08 02:21 PM

Wow. That memo shows the arrogance of some of the managers.

I guess this deal can officially be declared dead then.

drmoze 07-02-08 02:29 PM

1:50 has a good point. "What got them" is that the coupon doesn't state it has to come off of retail price. And (unlike a Rewards discount, store coupon or the like), I disagree that their regular coded sale price constitutes "another offer" with respect to the coupon. It is a discounted store price.

paaron46 07-02-08 02:29 PM

It’s funny that they are blaming the customers and the lower employees for not spotting it, when it’s their own fault for having the coupon on the dvds and active in their system so all it took was a scan of the coupon and everything was automatically deducted. I sure hope they’re reading this forum now.

It’s just funny how big business works. Blaming everyone else, except their own selves. They hate these kind of forums when it “works against them” but I bet they love these forums because a lot of the time it’s free advertising for their stores when they have deals going.

TGM 07-02-08 02:35 PM

fuck you Best Buy lurkers! you are all pathetic individuals sentenced to a lifetime of middle management for a company that doesn't give two shits about their customers... I hope you get raped like this in the ass multiple times over!

blink blonk blink blonk blink blonk ......................................................

tonyc3742 07-02-08 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by drmoze
I disagree that their regular coded sale price constitutes "another offer" with respect to the coupon. It is a discounted store price.

I agree. "Offers" to me are coupons, B1G1, things like that. I don't consider temporary price cuts "offers". That definition is very loosely interpreted, though; I tried the exact same thing (using gamers' discount card at CC on items with free gift card with purchase) and one did it, another didn't.

This kind of thing is like the IRS--acting like this makes me want to, not cheat, but take advantage of everything (legal, all the loopholes, all the policies) I can to maximize my deal and minimize your profit. If you're going to argue loopholes, so am I.

cinemaphile 07-02-08 03:11 PM

Yeah that email memo shows complete arrogance and idiocy on the part of Best Buy managers. I'm sure there are people who try to abuse the system, but they are a tiny TINY minority. I worked in retail for over 10 years, and the rule was "don't piss of the 99% of your customers who are honest, just to stop the 1% of your customers who are being dishonest."

There have been COUNTLESS times as a customer when I've had to have conversations like "The other store did it" and I was completely correct and honest. As for the "if they did, they would have gone there" statement - many times it's just your store is closer, or you want to get Reward Zone credit for it as well or something.

And the last guy, who said it "wouild amount to a loss on our part"? HOW did you keep your job in retail for 15 years? It's a MANUFACTURER'S coupon - Fox reimburses - it says so right there! What an idiot.

kevin75 07-02-08 03:38 PM

also, many of us only have one store in the area so if other stores are doing it, we can't really go there.

i went by my local store earlier today and they had 1 S1 tin (no coupon) and one of S6 and S5. i am hoping that maybe they will be sold out by week's end and i can get a rain check.

kenbenobi 07-02-08 04:48 PM

I still don't understand why Best Buy is getting all huffy over honoring this. It is a MANUFACTURER coupon that they get reimbursed for! The reimbursement instructions are very clear on the coupon. Heck, they could even profit from the coupon if they write $75 on each coupon, even if it was only redeemed for $15/30/45/60. They would get ALL of their money back, plus MORE! I just don't get it...

kenbenobi 07-02-08 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
So you got the $15 off the season 1 SE too? That's a first.

It happened to me, too, but I fought for $15 off of each and lost. They were only going to give it off of one season, and for whatever reason they took it off of S1. I shoulda just bought S1 and one other season, and then return the other season later. I coulda had S1 SE for $1.99. Instead I got nothin.

Private Donut 07-02-08 05:02 PM

Like I said, file a complaint with the BBB.

This isn't theft by the customers. It's a mfgr. coupon. Best Buy gets reimbursed for the face value (plus 8 cents!). They lose nothing.

How quickly people forget that Best Buy was sued by the CT Attorney General for deceptive business practices and overcharging customers. This coupon debacle is the tip of the iceberg folks.

The corporate manager who issued the aforementioned internal memo should be fired.

Robertwoj 07-02-08 05:10 PM

Why should Best Buy even question what method of payment you want to use? They accept cash, check and credit cards. If I want to use a Manufacturer's coupon, which is a form of payment, what's the big deal? They end up getting their money either way.

jimmy86 07-02-08 05:11 PM

I got the deal today.Found employee(now floor manager)that knew me as a good customer.Showed him the coupon,the yellow banner on the shelf.etc.He mentioned he knew of the deal.Tried scanning season w/coupon,no go.Had no problem over-riding prices to $1.99.Even got to go to another store to get a season missing and still do the price adjust.Other store wouldn't even budge.He was very cool about it.Thanked him.This deal is dead though.I just lucked out.

Moopher 07-02-08 05:19 PM

You know, if they weren't actually losing out somewhere on this deal, i don't know why they wouldn't do it. Although they may get reimbursed for what the coupons are used for, it's still going to hurt their net sales, which will be skewed. They won't actually get that money back until the redemption, and the manufacturer decideds to cut them a check. Even then, that still won't be filed under their net sales. Are a bunch of us going out and redeeming this deal going to hurt how they report their net sales to stockholders? Yeah, probably, because they already discounted all seasons by $33, and when they ring up for $1.99, after the $15 coupon, they are only netting $1.99 on each subsequent season after the first. There is a reason they're doing this beyond trying to be "dicks" to everyone. As far as I see this, this deal was definetly double-discounting, and it's a rarity to be able to do that anywhere.

paaron46 07-02-08 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Moopher
You know, if they weren't actually losing out somewhere on this deal, i don't know why they wouldn't do it. Although they may get reimbursed for what the coupons are used for, it's still going to hurt their net sales, which will be skewed. They won't actually get that money back until the redemption, and the manufacturer decideds to cut them a check. Even then, that still won't be filed under their net sales. Are a bunch of us going out and redeeming this deal going to hurt how they report their net sales to stockholders? Yeah, probably, because they already discounted all seasons by $33, and when they ring up for $1.99, after the $15 coupon, they are only netting $1.99 on each subsequent season after the first. There is a reason they're doing this beyond trying to be "dicks" to everyone. As far as I see this, this deal was definetly double-discounting, and it's a rarity to be able to do that anywhere.

If reimbursements are as hard to get for them as they are for the lowly customer, then I can see why they're mad.

I hate how long it takes to get rebates if at all. But, these are the rebates that places like BB offer me at times. So I don't feel bad for them.

Moopher 07-02-08 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by paaron46
If reimbursements are as hard to get for them as they are for the lowly customer, then I can see why they're mad.

I hate how long it takes to get rebates if at all. But, these are the rebates that places like BB offer me at times. So I don't feel bad for them.

They're not though, they're through the manufacturers, where many rebates come from. But either way, anyone is lucky if they get a rebate, because they're getting money back, and it is also their choice whether to redeem it or not.

.unholy 07-02-08 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Robertwoj
Why should Best Buy even question what method of payment you want to use? They accept cash, check and credit cards. If I want to use a Manufacturer's coupon, which is a form of payment, what's the big deal?

And they can refuse to accept any other form of payment just as easily. In fact, they can refuse to sell anything to anyone, and don't even need to justify that decision.

Why is it so difficult for so many people to accept that BB does not really have any obligations to its customers prior to the purchase? They have the right not to honor the coupon. They have the right to refuse double-discounting. They have the right not to sell merchandise.

Are these "good" things to do? Depends on your perspective. Are they good business practices? Probably not. Are they unethical? Maybe. Are they illegal? Definitely not.

It's really interesting to see people acting like they are entitled to get in on this deal just because someone else did. Guess what: BB owes you nothing. Deal with it. The good ole' days of "the customer is always right" are long gone now.

C_Fletch 07-02-08 06:15 PM

I will not lose any sleep due to this deal. If the morons over at BB corporate would actually train their monkey managers on CUSTOMER SERVICE I would probably shop there more often. As it is I only shop there for 2 things:
1. Deals like this.
2. When I have a gift card to blow.

We played by their rules and we got a good deal. The idiot managers at BB can't handle that because it's TOO good of a deal? What a crock of steaming shit that is.

Give me a break. You guys(BB) set the sell prices. You guys put out the DVDs. You guys SEE the coupons. This was all their doing. If they didn't want such a good deal then they should have waited on their sale OR taken off the coupons. How long would that have taken?? A total of 2 minutes for each store for one employee. It is not out responsibility as a consumer to GIVE them more money. It is our responsibilty to get the best deal possible. PERIOD!!!!!

The fact of the matter is that BB does not give a flying shit about US, the deal shoppers. What BB wants is for us to buy their 5,000 TVs with the $400 extended service plan. Can you believe I have been asked to buy an extended service plan on a DVD!?!??!?!?

WTF do I need a f'in service plan for on a DVD?!?!?!?!?

So, to end my long diatribe. Keep up the good work DVDtalkers!!!! Big corporations can just suck my.................never mind.

TheMovieman 07-02-08 07:16 PM

Well, my online order was pretty... interesting. I submitted my order for Season 1 SE and Season 3, both for in-store pickup. Then I got a confirmation for season 1 but it said season 3 wasn't in stock. So, I hadn't picked up season 1 yet, but noticed that season 3 was back in stock. Went there, grabbed S3 off the shelf and went to customer service to pick up S1. It wasn't there. After storming out of there empty handed I looked at the pick up confirmation which said BEND, OR (I'm in Springfield). Somehow one part of my order had the Bend location while the other, and it says so in the e-mail, says Springfield.

Anyway, today I finally called and even though S1 was sold out online (and my store didn't have it), the guy said they had one more in the wharehouse and will be shipping it to me. He also resubmitted the other part of my order so that I can pick it up in store (hopefully).

unity311unity 07-02-08 07:48 PM

Can someone give me a rundown of the last 15 pages? Is the deal still working? What's goin' on?

Moopher 07-02-08 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by unity311unity
Can someone give me a rundown of the last 15 pages? Is the deal still working? What's goin' on?

Essentially it's not working any longer, Best Buy sent out an internal memo. Or at least it's not supposed to. It is a YMMV deal, there are a few people still getting the deal, but for the most part it's a no-go. Fun while it lasted though.

Bigsierra 07-02-08 07:57 PM

When I went in on Monday, the media guy looked up S1 and it said they had it, but it wasn't on any of the shelves in the dvd area. He verified the deal, by trying the website and sure enough it showed the second dvd for 1.99, so had another store hold it for me and I was able to get 5 out of 6 seasons for the discounted price. This BB employee seemed to be on his game and made it work out for me.

Manzana 07-02-08 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by .unholy
No need to bet. Someone over at CheapAssGamer reported that a BB employee admitted they had received explicit instructions not to restock S1:SE until 7/6.

Why is BBY worried about restocking S1 SE since the coupon has been disabled in their system and managers have an internal memo not to give an inch with an override?

I bought the S1 SE + S6 for $18.98 online deal (which is a lousy deal in comparison), and my S1 SE had the coupon on it, but by the time I picked up my order on Sunday afternoon they had no S2-S5 sets, so having the coupon then was moot just as it is now. From what I heard they had very few S1 SE sets to start with. When they finally got their restocks of S2-S6 on Tuesday, the coupon had already been disabled in the system. There's no way I could've gotten in on this deal except had I gotten there when they opened on Sunday.

Unfortunately there are many managers/supervisors in retail who just don't like to see people get too good of a deal (even if the manufacturer reimburses them fully for the coupons). You know... people who are unhappy in life and want to spread the misery by denying people good deals whenever they can. There's a reason some people I know refer to BBY as "Worst Buy" or "Best Deny". Just my opinions.

musick 07-02-08 08:13 PM

posted 6/29

Originally Posted by ENDContra
So, any chance Best Buy gets more in stock this week, or are we SOL unless we just go for the 1 for 1 deal online? I live in one of the worse areas for getting in on great deals like this (lots of tech guys in Raleigh that Im sure read slickdeals multiple times a day).

Originally Posted by musick
don't count on it and if they do don't count on them shelving the season 1 SE
why not just pricematch @ CC or elsewhere that may have stock

in the vein of 24... the clock is ticking on this deal

hey Best Buy managers thanks for reading

by the way you might want to run more non "offers" like this in the future as it probably provided you with more foot traffic than you could have imagined this week

thejester 07-02-08 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by C_Fletch
...If the morons over at BB corporate would actually train their monkey managers on CUSTOMER SERVICE I would probably shop there more often.
We played by their rules and we got a good deal. The idiot managers at BB can't handle that because it's TOO good of a deal? What a crock of steaming shit that is.

Well, I apparently came across a "BB Manager 'In Training'" today - or at least one who qualifies based on stupidty level. And, he didn't even appear to be a BB employee (that I could tell - black t-shirt with graphic of something & an orange Texas Longhorns baseball cap).

I almost got this deal to work today - with or without the block of the coupon by BB Corp. In the end, it fell apart quickly.

Short of it is that I saw this deal too late on Sunday. By next AM, I had located a store with 2 S1s - but no other seasons. Hid one of them & went back this AM after re-stock. Sure enough, they had 1 of each S2-6 & the 2 S1s.

Went to checkout & coupon wouldn't scan. Clerk had a supervisor come over & she showed him how do a coupon override. Clear sailing? No.

Clerk didn't catch the x5 aspect - only did 1. Had to get the 2nd S1(he'd put coupon in lock-drawer) so he could read it again. Another supervisor came over (to help another register) and was catching up to speed on my transaction.

At that time, a "bright" F-A$$ punk (next in line w/cap) chimed in saying "is that the $15 off coupon for 24? Uh, you have a sign over there saying that it isn't valid this week because of the sale. It says it'll be good again next week." (or something damn near that).

I hadn't even seen the sign as it was above the very top row & the 24 seasons were on the bottom (T... - not by '24'). Needless to say, from that point on, it fell apart. So I left empty handed. Pissed me off.

I know the #1 rule in deals is "NEVER call". #2 has to be "don't F-it up for another customer".

HDMovieGuy 07-02-08 09:17 PM

Not trying to rub it in on anyone who got denied in this thread, but I'm glad I was able to score this deal on Monday for a couple of reasons. Obviously, it ended up being a steal, but I also got great satisfaction knowing that I got in on something that Worst Buy obviously didn't want to have happen in the first place. It gives me great satisfaction that others in this thread were able to do the same, as well.

I'm sorry for those who got rejected as I really think this whole thing is BS. I don't care about what the legal definition is for an "offer". If this mattered to a hill of beans, then we wouldn't be able to use the damn things at the grocery store on sale items. This coupon was clearly intended to provide a $15 discount on each season purchased of the 5 available, which amounted to a total of $75 if buying all 5. It's not our fault that the dingleberry in the marketing department decided to put all of them on sale for $16.99 while a coupon was available. And I'd go out on a limb to say that they would accept the coupon if they were on sale for $39.99 each instead of $16.99.

I really can't stand it when retailers take whatever measure they can to skirt around people getting in on a legitimate deal. They'll take the circumstances presented to them and twist them in their favor or create new interpretations of their policies just so they have some ground to give you the smackdown. The little pee-ons that work at these stores enjoy doing this as well, almost as if they have a daily quota of good samaritan work to do each day for the company.

Like Speedy does for us, I've also been combing their ad (and others who have pulled this BS in the past) with a fine tooth comb each and every week and will do so from now until the end of time to make sure that I take full advantage of any misprints or other potential deals that can be had. And I hope that the rest of our community does the same. If Worst Buy perceives these deals as them getting screwed, then let's screw them a million times over!

By the way Worst Buy, I also got in on the Troy Ultimate Edition box set for $6.99!!!! Wa ha ha ha ha!!!!!

Perhaps we should put together a private screening of 24 and Troy for Best Buy associates. We'll offer free admission w/ticket, then change the terms of the offer when they arrive. Tell them that they didn't read the fine print invisible ink on the back of the ticket or some crap like that. If they don't accept, they'll only lose out on about $4 in gas from the commute and be pissed off when they leave, so no big deal.

Sorry for being a smarta$$, but I'm really tired of this stuff.

Lastly, I just wanted to give my sincere thanks to the OP for posting this deal.