Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

B&N B1G1 free on TV Boxsets (1/3/07-1/30/07)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

B&N B1G1 free on TV Boxsets (1/3/07-1/30/07)

Old 01-12-07, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22 dark shadows set?? wow, that is some long show. Never was a fan of dark shadows. It always seem to be to be more of a prolonged soap opera than a sci-fi show.
Old 01-12-07, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FeelingGreat
22 dark shadows set?? wow, that is some long show. Never was a fan of dark shadows. It always seem to be to be more of a prolonged soap opera than a sci-fi show.
Probably because it was a soap opera.
Old 01-13-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought six more today... Man this sale is addicting... I got I Love Lucy S3 and 4, Scrubs S1 and Da Ali G Show Complete, and ordered Twilight Zone Definitive with Are You Being Served Complete... I woulda got a lot more if they had them in store. But Ship to Home isn't so good for the 39.99 sets. In store, you get 10% off, plus can easily grab a cheap 99 cent item to get over $40. With Ship to Home, you don't save 10%, and may have difficulty buying a cheap item to use the $10 coupon...
Old 01-13-07, 02:39 PM
Cool New Member

does this work online? Im trying to get House Season 1 and 2 but I end up with everything full priced

EDIT:nvm isn't part of the deal
Old 01-13-07, 07:13 PM

I decided to try and take part in this deal today and went to buy Veronica Mars: S2 and Mission Impossible: S1. Unfortunately, the B&M I went to did not have the Veronica Mars set, so I asked if I could have it ship to home, and take the MI set with me.

The two people at the desk weren't sure how to combine the coupon with the B1G1F, so they called the supervisor over. She wanted to make sure that it was OK, so she called someone else, who ultimately said no.

The problem seemed to be over the fact that I wanted to take the MI set with me and have the other set shipped home, and not the coupon. Looking back, I guess I should have asked if they could ship both home.

Fortunately, the supervisor said that they could request the Veronica Mars set, and wrote a note on my coupon to extend it until the set arrives, because the coupon would otherwise expire tomorrow.
Old 01-13-07, 07:22 PM
Cool New Member

went B&M, House wasn't in stock, so they ordered it for me....very nice people though

I picked up simpson season 5 and futurama season 1 for $39.99. I didn't have B&N card but person was nice enough to auto use it for me and the person let me use the MC coupon so I paid like $27. I think Ill stop by again tomorrow to pick something else
Old 01-13-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by firedude328
went B&M, House wasn't in stock, so they ordered it for me....very nice people though
When you say "ordered" I hope you mean with Ship to Home. Those sets are cheaper online, so ship to home would save you money over picking them up in store...
Old 01-13-07, 09:34 PM
Cool New Member

poo Ill go pick up some more simpsons episodes tomorrow and try to get ship at home to save money. Also if I do ship at home will I be able to use the MC coupon?
Old 01-13-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zeddnola
This sale includes a much wider range of titles at the B&M B&N stores versus online. ALL TV DVD sets over $29.99 in stock in all B&M stores are included in the sale. The selection available as part of the sale on the B&N website is much smaller. Also, in-store, the 10% off boxset discount is still in effect, so prices for most of these sets are actually cheaper in-store versus on the website.
I stumbled upon this by mistake. I went in to a store to check out how much credit I had on a GC/store credit i had in my car for the last year or so. $60-something, so I picked up Dead Like Me (Season 1 & 2...which was the series) for $39.99 - 10% B1G1...so thy were ~$18/season.

-p
Old 01-13-07, 09:41 PM
Cool New Member

Went to the only Barnes and Nobles in my area that sold DVDs and tried to get them to order Rescue Rangers Vol. 1 since they didn't have any in stock, but they told me that it wasn't part of the deal. I thought if I went in store that they could do it for most all DVD sets. Has anyone else tried and been able to purchase this or remember seeing it with the buy 1 get 1 sticker on it? Maybe it was just that it was a kid working at the time, I don't know. Thanks.
Old 01-13-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by indianajmb
It was 49.95 for each of them but 34.98 online. He said the price difference is for the labor to put the dvd's on the shelf. I just laughed at him. That is 15.00 each for about 10 seconds of work.
That sounds like union pricing right there!

-p
Old 01-13-07, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by jrneeley
Went to the only Barnes and Nobles in my area that sold DVDs and tried to get them to order Rescue Rangers Vol. 1 since they didn't have any in stock, but they told me that it wasn't part of the deal. I thought if I went in store that they could do it for most all DVD sets. Has anyone else tried and been able to purchase this or remember seeing it with the buy 1 get 1 sticker on it? Maybe it was just that it was a kid working at the time, I don't know. Thanks.
It is any TV set over $29.99, so it should work. When i placed orders they had to place two separate orders then zero out one of them. They can manually do the deal on anything they want. That should qualify.
Old 01-13-07, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, they refused to let me use the $10 coupon again. The employee remembered that I used it last week (or so he says--I don't recall ever seeing him before). I'll just try someone else tomorrow...
Old 01-13-07, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by firedude328
poo Ill go pick up some more simpsons episodes tomorrow and try to get ship at home to save money. Also if I do ship at home will I be able to use the MC coupon?
Yes, you can still use the coupon. But do research first! Some of the simpsons sets are significantly cheaper online, but some are worse! The store will give you 10% off. So you will want to do ship to home on the ones that are 15, 20, or 30% off online. If 10%, it doesn't matter either way. But a few sets online aren't on sale at all, so in store is actually cheaper...
For House, both sets were cheaper with ship to home...
Old 01-13-07, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bradm20
It is any TV set over $29.99, so it should work. When i placed orders they had to place two separate orders then zero out one of them. They can manually do the deal on anything they want. That should qualify.
They don't have to do separate orders unless you are ordering two of the same item... But I guess it doesn't matter for you. More work for them!
Old 01-13-07, 11:44 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by bradm20
Thanks, I'm gonna try again tomorrow. Hopefully they will have a person who seems to know a little more. The guy I dealt with tonight was nice as he could be, but just seemed confused. I picked up Perry Mason Vol. 1 and 2 (49.99 each)and Family Guy Vol. 3 and 4 (39.99 each) and the guy didn't understand that I wanted to order the sets separately because they would have taken off both Family Guy Volumes if I did it all together.

When he went on their website about Rescue Rangers I think he just saw that it wasn't apart of their online deal, but I was thinking everything over 29.99 would count and Rescue Rangers Vol. 1 is 34.99 list price. I just let it go, hoping maybe I'll come back later this month and they'd have some in stock.

I might call around, it's just all the other B&Ns are an hour or so away.
Old 01-13-07, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow, they refused to let me use the $10 coupon again. The employee remembered that I used it last week (or so he says--I don't recall ever seeing him before). I'll just try someone else tomorrow...
Everything with B&N is a YMMV. If the clerk wants to take your coupon he can. I dont give the ones who refuse any flack, because hey they are just doing their job.
Old 01-14-07, 12:01 AM

I stopped by my local B&N today and was told I could use the $10 MC coupon with ship to home but not the additional 15% off coupon I got for becoming a member. Clerk had to call someone else who probably arbitrarily said no.
Old 01-14-07, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Harold Chasen
I stopped by my local B&N today and was told I could use the $10 MC coupon with ship to home but not the additional 15% off coupon I got for becoming a member. Clerk had to call someone else who probably arbitrarily said no.
I used the 15% off coupon a few times without a problem, with 2 or 3 different clerks on different days. Never was hassled about it. I guess it is a YMMV when it comes to anything at BN.
Old 01-14-07, 06:28 AM
Banned

After much waffling about whether to participate, decided to drive 20 miles to B&N to check it out. I had been frustrated by all the varying conditions of the deal: different in-store & on-line prices, questions about whether the membership was worth it, wondering whether they would accept MC coupon, uncertainty about ship-to-home option, etc. I didn't want to have to deal with an irate clerk if it was a hassle doing ship-to-home, etc.

I was pleasantly surprised by the experience. First of all, the DVD section was not crowded even thought the store was pretty busy (Saturday afternoon crowd). Second, the clerks were extremely helpful & volunteered information on how to save (including the ship-to-home option). They offered to look up anything I couldn't find, figure out the lowest price, etc. Third, the in-store selection & prices were better than I had thought...so good that the deal would be pretty good for some titles even without the added discounts (found several $39.98 titles that would have been around $22 each with B1G1 + tax...cheaper than what I had paid for some during DDD 20% off sale).

I decided to test it with an order since I had the MC coupon with me. I ended up getting Star Trek: TOS & Buffy The Chosen Collection for around $152 including the $25 membership fee. Between the $10MC coupon & the 10% membership discount (didn't have a 15% coupon), I saved enough to pay for the membership. Now, when I plan to go back & order several more items, the additional 10% off will be gravy.

The clerks were very friendly & knowledgeable...wouldn't allow the MC coupon to be used more than once, which was okay with me since those were the terms specified on the coupon anyway. The guy who placed the order worked with an uncooperative computer until I got the correct online prices with the B1G1 deal (computer kept wanting to charge $344 for both sets!).
I left the store a happy camper & with plans to make my lists for more orders next week.

Thanks, OP & everyone who has offered helpful suggestions. Glad your posts convinced me to take part in this deal...the placing of the order itself was very nonstressful & I can save a bunch of money on some items not currently on sale anywhere.
Old 01-14-07, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Yes, you can still use the coupon. But do research first! Some of the simpsons sets are significantly cheaper online, but some are worse! The store will give you 10% off. So you will want to do ship to home on the ones that are 15, 20, or 30% off online. If 10%, it doesn't matter either way. But a few sets online aren't on sale at all, so in store is actually cheaper...
For House, both sets were cheaper with ship to home...
And Season 9 (Lisa Head Version) is not part of the deal online, so if you want it, you'll have to try a ship to home.
Old 01-14-07, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Harold Chasen
Yeah, you can't use two coupons at once... Or do you mean you couldn't use the 15% off one at all? You should be able to do either or... Did you have the printed 15% coupon, or you just tried giving them a code? They need to be able to scan the barcode if using it in-store...
Old 01-14-07, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
And Season 9 (Lisa Head Version) is not part of the deal online, so if you want it, you'll have to try a ship to home.
None of the Simpsons sets are part of the online deal. I was just referring to the online prices, which are the same as the ship to home prices. Anything not on sale online is cheaper at the store. The 10% ones would be the same in store or ship to home. The ones with greater discounts online are best to get with ship to home...
Old 01-14-07, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by creekdipper
I ended up getting Star Trek: TOS & Buffy The Chosen Collection for around $152 including the $25 membership fee.
I think you got in just under the wire... I noticed last night that Buffy was back up to $199.99 online, which would have significantly killed your deal...
Old 01-14-07, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BKenn01
Everything with B&N is a YMMV. If the clerk wants to take your coupon he can. I dont give the ones who refuse any flack, because hey they are just doing their job.
I didn't give him any flack. I just said, "oh, I don't want it then". HE is the one that got all pissy, cuz he had to call and cancel the ship to home order... I figured I'd just try again today, so it wasn't a big deal to me...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.