Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

B&N B1G1 free on TV Boxsets (1/3/07-1/30/07)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

B&N B1G1 free on TV Boxsets (1/3/07-1/30/07)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This sale did me some damage. The in-store B1G1F plus 10% off list plus 10% member discount plus $10 MC coupon. The final tally: 26 Dark Shadows box sets for about $550 (great deal) and 2 seasons of Married w/Children (for the gf) for $25. Without NYC taxes, it might have been even less....
Old 01-16-07, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
last week when i called into the barnes & noble locations around me, they were doing ship-to-home over the phone.

this morning all of a sudden, none of them are allowed to. supposedly, this has been their policy for awhile. what gives?
Old 01-16-07, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Heads up to anyone who wants to buy Doctor Who Season 2. The price online is $70, which amazingly enough is just as cheap as DDD. I was able to do a ship-to-home with this set and a collection of the first 3 seasons of Samurai Jack ($72) for $68.99 shipped. Cheaper then anywhere else for just the Dr. Who set, not to mention you get another $70 set for free. Who knows if they will adjust the price as they have done for others (and given it is no longer a pre-order), so you might want to act quick.
Old 01-16-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Has anyone tried to get this promotion to work with Anime boxsets? Technically, anime is TV(Japanese TV). My local B&N doesn't have any anime sets, but if the promotion did include anime, then I would definitely do a ship to home order. Thanks.
Old 01-16-07, 12:02 PM
Cool New Member

my BN doesn't carry any new Anime, but I saw Astroboy was part of the deal B&M
Old 01-16-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have thought about the anime, but never tried it (I don't think there is much in-store). I know for at least the in-store there is a supposed list of what is included (a clerk had to check the Shogun mini-series when I bought it since it was in the drama section). You can probably convince a willing clerk to do a ship-to-home on the anime. I believe the manually make one of them free, so there should not be anything in the system that would prevent it unless they have already received instructions otherwise.
Old 01-18-07, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I see some people got House M.D. using this sale, but some haven't. Why is this not part of the deal, at least when I check bn.com? I would like to get both seasons (even though, depressingly, season 1 is not anamorphic).
Old 01-18-07, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by bookcase3
I see some people got House M.D. using this sale, but some haven't. Why is this not part of the deal, at least when I check bn.com? I would like to get both seasons (even though, depressingly, season 1 is not anamorphic).
Even if you ask bn.com they won't give you a good answer. I asked why volume 2 of the first season of Perry Mason was part of the BOGO sale online, but volume 1 of the same season wasn't. The poor answer I got was that some things were part of the sale, and some weren't.

That answer made me wonder if they even read my question. What's on sale online and what's not makes no sense.

-jarrod
Old 01-18-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by historyavenger
last week when i called into the barnes & noble locations around me, they were doing ship-to-home over the phone.

this morning all of a sudden, none of them are allowed to. supposedly, this has been their policy for awhile. what gives?
Yeah, there was a memo that went out. Also, they can no longer order anything that is backordered from the warehouse, which is a damn shame... I ordered backorderd items 4 times, and got all items within 10 days. If they can fulfill the orders that quickly, why stop accepting backordered orders?
Old 01-18-07, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Geez yesterday i placed two orders online B1g! of course and but were cancelled and i had to call the CSR who said that I am only allowed one ORDER for THE B1G1 sale so 1 order per Customer online ... I couldn't stop laughing on the phone while she tried to explain that sale promotion ...

So i said but I can go to the store and get them right and was told it was up to the store they are running a different promotion ... LOL how can a sale be this stupid ...

BN is missing out on sales since i can't go to the store alot ... it was and would be so convenient to order online ...
Old 01-18-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Big Dave
Heads up to anyone who wants to buy Doctor Who Season 2. The price online is $70, which amazingly enough is just as cheap as DDD. I was able to do a ship-to-home with this set and a collection of the first 3 seasons of Samurai Jack ($72) for $68.99 shipped. Cheaper then anywhere else for just the Dr. Who set, not to mention you get another $70 set for free. Who knows if they will adjust the price as they have done for others (and given it is no longer a pre-order), so you might want to act quick.
Yeah, I ordered Dr. Who S2 plus a star trek season. Mine was only $55.03 shipped. Did you forget to use the 15% off coupon with it? Or did they charge you for shipping? I'm a member, so I saved an extra 10%, and I know Samurai Jack cost you $2 more, but that still wouldn't explain you paying $14 more than I did...
Old 01-18-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DisneyDVDFAN
Geez yesterday i placed two orders online B1g! of course and but were cancelled and i had to call the CSR who said that I am only allowed one ORDER for THE B1G1 sale so 1 order per Customer online ... I couldn't stop laughing on the phone while she tried to explain that sale promotion ...

So i said but I can go to the store and get them right and was told it was up to the store they are running a different promotion ... LOL how can a sale be this stupid ...

BN is missing out on sales since i can't go to the store alot ... it was and would be so convenient to order online ...
Yeah, this was discussed earlier in the thread. You can easily get around it by ordering with a different account online. You'd wouldn't get a member discount if you are a member, but you could get 5% off for AAA instead, and you'd still get B1G1F and 15% off... So you'd only lose 5% overall. I had to do this with some 29.98 titles online that DO qualify for B1G1F online, but in store it is 1 penny too low. They were going to let me slide, until I presented the 15% off coupon. They wouldn't let me use it since techincally I didn't reach the 29.99 limit. So I saved a lot by ordering those online, even though I still lost 5%... I should mention these were items not available in store, so I was trying to place a ship to home order. If they had been in stock in-store, they would have been 10% off, so it actually would have been better to purchase in-store...

Last edited by kenbenobi; 01-18-07 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-18-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Yeah, this was discussed earlier in the thread. You can easily get around it by ordering with a different account online. You'd wouldn't get a member discount if you are a member, but you could get 5% off for AAA instead, and you'd still get B1G1F and 15% off... So you'd only lose 5% overall. I had to do this with some 29.98 titles online that DO qualify for B1G1F online, but in store it is 1 penny too low. They were going to let me slide, until I presented the 15% off coupon. They wouldn't let me use it since techincally I didn't reach the 29.99 limit. So I saved a lot by ordering those online, even though I still lost 5%... I should mention these were items not available in store, so I was trying to place a ship to home order. If they had been in stock in-store, they would have been 10% off, so it actually would have been better to purchase in-store...
The reason i found it strange was that I was allowed other orders B1G1 sale online on my same account so for this to happen seemed strange ...

I will try that way through AAA and the coupon codes ... but it will have to wait has the two orders i did place with BN and got cancelled the funds are still being held on my CC ;(
Thanks
Old 01-18-07, 11:11 AM

Does anyone know or has anyone tried to include a preorder item with the B1G1 sale? I'm wanting to get Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea S2 Vol 1(which is in stock) and S2 Vol 2 (Feb 20 release) which they have for preorder.
Old 01-18-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by crweb
Does anyone know or has anyone tried to include a preorder item with the B1G1 sale? I'm wanting to get Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea S2 Vol 1(which is in stock) and S2 Vol 2 (Feb 20 release) which they have for preorder.
Yes, my Dr Who S2 was a pre-order. But I only ordered it a few days before it came out. Feb. 20 is over a month from now. I would try it, but they might say no... Please post your results here...
Old 01-18-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DisneyDVDFAN
The reason i found it strange was that I was allowed other orders B1G1 sale online on my same account so for this to happen seemed strange ...

I will try that way through AAA and the coupon codes ... but it will have to wait has the two orders i did place with BN and got cancelled the funds are still being held on my CC ;(
Thanks
Yeah, I had placed 2 ordered successfully before getting flagged to call in as well. It's dumb that their system allows the orders to be placed. It screws people over that use debit cards or close to the max of their c/c limit...
Old 01-18-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Yeah, I ordered Dr. Who S2 plus a star trek season. Mine was only $55.03 shipped. Did you forget to use the 15% off coupon with it? Or did they charge you for shipping? I'm a member, so I saved an extra 10%, and I know Samurai Jack cost you $2 more, but that still wouldn't explain you paying $14 more than I did...
I forgot about the 15% coupon (plus the one I ordered from this time tends to be a bitch when I try to use coupons) and I have always been charged for shipping on the ship-to-home orders (this is at 2 different stores and 4 different orders). Is somewhere that specifically mentions you should not be charged for shipping as I believe it has been added on autimatically by the computers (and I think one of the employees asked a manager the first time they did it).
Old 01-18-07, 02:23 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I used the MC coupon on Sunday to pick up Looney Tunes Gold Collection Volumes 1 & 3 at the B&N in Edina, then went to the B&N in Eden Prairie and used the coupon again for Mystery Science Theater 3000 Volumes 2 & 9. Each set worked out to between $23-26 apiece. Hooray!
Old 01-18-07, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Big Dave
I forgot about the 15% coupon (plus the one I ordered from this time tends to be a bitch when I try to use coupons) and I have always been charged for shipping on the ship-to-home orders (this is at 2 different stores and 4 different orders). Is somewhere that specifically mentions you should not be charged for shipping as I believe it has been added on autimatically by the computers (and I think one of the employees asked a manager the first time they did it).
Bummer. I don't know about the written rule, but all 4 of my local locations zeroed out the shipping. At one of the stores, the employee didn't know about it. She called a manager, and he said always zero it out if $25+. So I dunno if it is a rule or not, but all of the stores here do it...
Old 01-19-07, 11:59 AM

OK. Just got back from B&N and was able to order Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea S2 Vol 1 $29.98 and S2 Vol 2 $29.98 (which is avaliable for preorder on their website). 15% off coupon and free shipping, total with tax $27.26. No questions asked. Priceless.
Old 01-19-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tried to go get a couple of copies of Doctor Who - Season 2 yesterday.
I've never placed a "ship-to-home" order before, but the woman said that they didn't have any copies in-stock in their warehouse so she couldn't place the order. Now I see on the website that this title is listed as "1-2 weeks" for status.

Doe anyone know if it IS possible to place a "ship-to-home" order when an item is out of stock? I see people mention doing it on pre-orders.

Should I try calling another location?
I want to take advantage of this deal before they bump up the price to $100.

Thanks
Old 01-19-07, 12:19 PM

As long as B&N have it listed on their website I don't see how they can keep you from ordering it. If it's not avaliable for order then it should be taken off their site. I just placed an order which had an item on preorder (so they don't have it in stock). I think I would have bumped this up to a manager. My $.02 worth.
Old 01-19-07, 12:23 PM

Can you use the 15% off coupon multiple times with ship to home? I know they track the coupon when you order through the website, but do the individual stores track it's use?
Old 01-19-07, 12:36 PM

I can't answer that one yet. I know that the girl at the customer service booth prints out my order (which has a bar code at the bottom) and the cashier scans the bar code, deducts the shipping cost and the cost of one of the box sets then deducts the 15% coupon. Unless their system is able to flag these transactions I don't know how they would know. I'm going back next week to try and get the last two seasons of Buffy. If need be I may pay with a different credit card and have it shipped to a family members address. Guess I'll find out then. Sorry I didn't really answer your question.
Old 01-19-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
So it looks like sets like buffy and alias complete are not part of this sale. Bummer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.