Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

BlockBuster - Get $8 minimum on October 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Handed over 12 titles for $8 credit each, including several that I had bought on a 2 for $15 sale, a $4 Laserlight/Delta purchase, a title I picked up at a $1 store, etc: total credit was $104.28 (the paid me tax!).

Picked up new editions of Manchurian Candidate and Footloose along with Duel, The Hunger and Aladdin, and still have some credit left over.

This is fun....
Old 10-05-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Called my closest Blockbuster. They are not having the $8 buy thing. Only $5.
Old 10-05-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
First Trip: Bolingbrook

Traded in 41 DVDs (mostly older editions of movies or bargain movies). Only issue I had was with Moulin Rougie because of no UPC.

Second Trip: Des Plaines

Traded in 14 more DVDs (some duplicates for my family and a couple more I decided I did not want). Only issue I had was a couple best-of Friends DVDs (they were part of a box set) that were not in their system.

The cashier accidently gave me credit to my account instead of the card, so I bought a couple DVDs there. I got Big Fish and to my surpise I saw the criterion Black Narcissus for $14.99. Funny thing is that it rang-up as $69.99, but they gave it to me for the marked $14.99, guess they do not sell many non-mainstream Criterion (I guess charging $30 more than retail will do that).

All in all a good haul that has given me $400 plus credit still to get the next few months worth of new realeases and helped clear out some dead weight in my collection.
Old 10-05-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hmm, just called Dublin bb (right across from my house), and they are doing $8.

this could get interesting.
Old 10-05-04, 07:34 PM

These are $8 Blockbuster credits, right? Not $8 cash? Thanks.
Old 10-05-04, 07:52 PM

They wouldn't take 5 movies from Troma but the other 16 including previously viewed were good to go for $139.
Old 10-05-04, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don: Definatley $8 credit not cash.
Old 10-05-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by fujishig
This may have been asked before, so bear with me... Is the credit good at Gamerush,
You get store credit that you can use on games or anything else in the store. I don't know if you can buy giftcards to give to relatives for XMAS but I might ask tomorrow. The guy told me there was another deal for Halo 2, they'll give you $20 off the preorder if you trade in 2 games. I have some old cheapies like Turok, etc. I might use for that.
Old 10-05-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I brought 9 titles into my local blockbuster this afternoon. They were the following titles:

Moby Dick (Gregory Peck version)
The French Connection
Monster's Ball
Love is a Many Splendored Thing
Quest for Fire
North by Northwest
Born on the Fourth of July
Inherit the Wind
Breaker Morant

They accepted 8 of these 9 titles at $8 each equaling $64 in store credit. I was especially surprised that Moby Dick earned $8 credit. What was interesting is that they wouldn't accept one title (Breaker Morant) because the slipcover didn't indicate that it was a region 1 title, even though it had a sku and is the legitimate region 1 release by Fox Lorber Video. I ended up using the credit to preorder the SCTV Volume 2 boxset for $23.99 and the Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 2 for $29.99. In conclusion, I would only trade in movies that you cannot sell on Ebay since there is no market (demand), and thus could take advantage of Blockbuster Videos preorder misprices that are well-known on this board. I consider Blockbuster's regular prices to be higher than most retail vendors. As some of you may have noticed, a few of the titles that I traded in are well known, but I was planning on upgrading most of them anyways, so this was the best way to get the most value out of them under the circumstances. The alternative was to take them to my local stores for trade-in, whixch means only $3-5 each in store credit.
Old 10-05-04, 08:40 PM

$500 is the limit on a single value card. I racked up over $700 in trades today, $500 on value card, bought $100 in gift cards and left the rest on my store account.

Good tip on Halo 2, I'll have to take a couple games in for trade.
Old 10-05-04, 09:14 PM
Cool New Member

Profit....

A good way to make money on this deal, was to get in on the Overstock.com price mistake that lasted for a few hours. I bet many people loaded up on stuff.
Old 10-05-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If anyone cares, Queens NY is a go! Got $173 and change for 20 dvds after taxes. The only thing they didn't take was Firefox (Clint Eastwood). NowI just have to find a BB to get a DS or some new games! Can anyone help?
Old 10-05-04, 09:41 PM

i was successful in trading in 11 dvds in somerset NJ...they did not accept one dvd (cartoon crazy's kids all time favorites) - yet they did accept two other cartoon crazy's dvds and some other cheapo titles i got from two-packs

several of my dvds didn't ring up when they scanned the UPC code, but they found them in their system on another computer and looked up their product number (i think a 6 digit number) - so if your dvds don't scan in, ask the employee to find the product number by searching for the title of the dvd and use that info...

unlike many others i did not receive tax on my trade-ins (i assume this is a state to state issue)

i was not able to apply my credit to my freedom membership (monthly rental membership) as the manager stated that they are having problems linking this trade in to their pre-existing systems -

i do think that if you sign up with a new account you can apply the credit towards a new account - might be a good time to try out this plan by trading in two used dvds you can rent all the dvds you want for 30 days - a pretty good idea!
Old 10-05-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I traded in my Xbox games tonight as I'm getting rid of it and my account is now up to $274 and that was after I preordered and paid for Grand Theft Auto San Andreas.

You can also use your account balance to buy gift cards. I bought a $20 card using my balance as a gift.
Old 10-05-04, 10:06 PM

I just got back from the Garden Grove, CA BBV on Valley View and dumped 24 from my 27 I brought in.

Interesting to note, while they took AFI Directors: Wes Craven, they wouldn't take Terry Gilliam or Robert Altman from the same series. They also denied a TV Guide tribute to Christmas DVD stating it was a promo. When I told them that it was something I purchased from Best Buy the employee said, it's a promo, we can't take it. Not a big deal as I am practically giddy with the $192.50 I received.

I am a few pages behind on this thread, but I remember at one point someone mentioned that no one had received more than $8.00; I received $8.50 for Focus, starring William H. Macy. Of all the titles I brought in, that was definitely not one I expected to be worth more than $8.

Thanks to GizmoDVD for bringing this to my attention. Now if I can only find something that isn't retail priced to spend my credit on.
Old 10-05-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went today to my closest Blockbuster today and they are doing the $8 deal. I took a dozen movies in the car with me but have yet to trade them.

My problem is Blockbuster is an expensive place. How does this company even stay in business? Are people so stupid to pay their rental and sell prices? We have local rental places that rent for $1 or $2 instead of Blockbusters $4. Aladdin which came out today and is roughly $16 everywhere was $22 at Blocbuster. If I got $96 for my dozen old DVD's what do I spend it on? Do I then overpay by $6 on Aladdin to use up part of my credit? I looked at there box set prices and they sell them at retail which is crazy.

I would love to unload a bunch of my old movies but I don't know if this is as great a deal as it seems. Basicaly you are giving them 3 old for 1 new. You would get $24 for the 3 old and they sell that 1 new for $22 plus tax that others sell for $15 or $16 on release day.

Tough decision !
Old 10-05-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by GMLSKIS
I went today to my closest Blockbuster today and they are doing the $8 deal. I took a dozen movies in the car with me but have yet to trade them.

My problem is Blockbuster is an expensive place. How does this company even stay in business? Are people so stupid to pay their rental and sell prices? We have local rental places that rent for $1 or $2 instead of Blockbusters $4. Aladdin which came out today and is roughly $16 everywhere was $22 at Blocbuster. If I got $96 for my dozen old DVD's what do I spend it on? Do I then overpay by $6 on Aladdin to use up part of my credit? I looked at there box set prices and they sell them at retail which is crazy.

I would love to unload a bunch of my old movies but I don't know if this is as great a deal as it seems. Basicaly you are giving them 3 old for 1 new. You would get $24 for the 3 old and they sell that 1 new for $22 plus tax that others sell for $15 or $16 on release day.

Tough decision !

It depends. Are your dvds bargain bin titles or gifts that you don't give a rats ass about and couldn't get $8 cash for from a trade in store that gives cash back?

If so, then this deal is probably for you. As you would probably want to trade them in and get Aladdin for "free" over completely throwing those dvds in the trash and paying $16 dollars for Aladdin at BB or CC.
Old 10-05-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Portland, OR: The store at SE Division & SE 122nd has the HUGE banner in their window... and that's the closest one to my house too! I'll be headed there tomorrow with plenty of trade-ins!
Old 10-05-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Traded in a bunch today also, I will reiterate something I said earlier and what the last post kind of says. What exactly are you trading in, I traded in DVD's that were slightly abused and/or just so/so titles that I would be lucky to get say $5 at best here on the forums. And if I sold them on Ebay, one I would have to of course disclose that they do play fine but had some scratches on them lowering their value slightly and after Ebay fees and Paypal fees they would be in the $4-5 range. Hence, each DVD I traded they gave me an extra $3-4 extra dollars I would not have gotten. This easily makes up for the price differences as far as cash value is concerned. Just make sure not to buy stuff you could get for say a much better price when the hopeful 20% sale at DDD.com occurs. Today I picked up what Ithought was a fantastic deal, how much better than $19.99 did anyone do for Shawshank Redemption SE. Most B&M I saw had it for this much, so by my math it cost me about 2 2/3 DVD trade-ins, which at best I figured to get only at best around $13-14. Just my 2 cents everyone.
Old 10-05-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Has anyone in the Chicago suburbs found this deal for the Looney Tunes Golden Collection? The store I went to said it was not in the computer yet. The only thing I think is that she may have been lying becasue she was the manger and seemed very knowledgable becasue she gave me the line "Well we don't have it in our computer yet but when it comes out I would think it would be somewhere around the price of the first one, about $50 or so. So, she either saw it and knew that the price was bad and gave me that line or it was not in there yet.
Old 10-05-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by KingFunk
I just got back from the Garden Grove, CA BBV on Valley View and dumped 24 from my 27 I brought in.

Interesting to note, while they took AFI Directors: Wes Craven, they wouldn't take Terry Gilliam or Robert Altman from the same series.
I ran into the exact same thing. I picked up all three cheap at Overstock (I think) and only was able to sell the Wes Craven one.

As far as the questions about buying back things at retail. I'm using my store credit towards their video game side and they are really competitive there. I'm planning on getting a Nintendo DS and a PS2 there and they will be charging the same prices as everyone else. I agree this would not be a great deal if you were just buying new DVDs with it unless you could get the mispriced preorders.
Old 10-05-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How long does it take to order a new game from blockbuster when they do not have it in stock? Couple days? Two weeks? Thanks!
Old 10-06-04, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

35 dvds @ $8 = $280.

I was the first one at this store to bring dvds in. The manager trained two employees on how to do buybacks. I'll definitely be bringing them some more tomorrow.

They didn't take Bloodsport and Man From Snowy River. I didnt have the balls to take back the Paramount 9/11 dvd with the big $4.99 PVD sticker that I got from another BB. That would just be plain wrong to ask for $8 for that.
Old 10-06-04, 03:10 AM

I wouldn't be so quick to shit on BB for prices, retail wise--there's no doubt about it, 99% of their stuff is overpriced but as mentioned prior, they're giving $8 for movies more than a few people are too proud to admit no one in there right mind would ever give you otherwise. Also, think about how many other people are going to be trading in shit aside from yourselves, yeah yeah,...big deal, right? You'd be surprised. A kid traded in all four seasons of South Park, used price--$16.99, or....2 for $20 making Seasons 1-4 only $40. My suggestion, cash in the titles you don't want and keep an eye out for stuff that's traded in. It's a whole new ballgame. I for one applaud the hell out of them for doing this.
Old 10-06-04, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anybody in Minnesota find any stores that are doing this around the Twin Cities area? I haven't been able to locate any that are, but there are so many stores in the Twin Cities area that I am sure I didn't get to checking or calling them all. Thanks in advance if anybody knows.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.