Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

The One And Only Star Wars Pre-Order/Bargain Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by BrentLumkin
Heh, I'm not mad or anything. It almost amuses me when people type it wrong, and it's not just you. I get it on email, message boards, everywhere.
BrentLumpkin, errrr I mean Brent Lumpin, errrrr BrentLumkin
Old 09-20-04, 03:45 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Buy moved to regional pricing earlier this year. However, they often will have the same price in all stores. Evidently some regional stores are not offering this at a sale price?

Weird!

My local Walmart is really good about telling me what the price for discs the following week will be. They'll have it for $38.77 (Eddystone, PA).

Of course, I let my Amazon pre-order go through - it shipped on Saturday and should arrive tomorrow morning. I'll just wait, I guess, rather than go out two hours earlier to buy it, although I think Best Buy will be a fun place to be at 10AM (when they open) and all of the Star Wars geeks rush in all excited.

I'm still looking around for a place that will have it at midnight. That could be fun, too. If so I'll bring my laptop and pop the first disc in right as I leave the store.

Nothing in the Philly papers today, though, about it.
Old 09-20-04, 04:34 PM

Placed an order at cocounuts.com last night to net it for $32.69 AR shipped. Was curious about the Madden 2005 coupon book at Best Buy and picked one up today (sans Madden video game). Didn't anyone notice the expiration for the 20% off DVD coupon says 'expires 3/6/2004'? wasn't that last March? If I try to use it anyhow, Best Buy is gonna really scrutinize the coupon. They hire real register hawks at my location and act like the fine print says we're taking their first-born. I don't think I have a chance of getting it, so I guess I stick with coconuts.com. I have a plan with the rebate without having to cut up the box (if that is necessary). Basically don't include the UPC and when you get the rejection letter, send in a photocopy of the UPC and claim they must have lost it. I have had to resubmit other rebates with copies of the UPCs I scanned into my PC before mailing off those rebates. Never had a problem resubmitting with the photocopy of the UPC. That's my plan anyhow if the box has to be cut.
Old 09-20-04, 04:38 PM

Kmart will have it for $39.99.
Old 09-20-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BenCJedi
Placed an order at cocounuts.com last night to net it for $32.69 AR shipped. Was curious about the Madden 2005 coupon book at Best Buy and picked one up today (sans Madden video game). Didn't anyone notice the expiration for the 20% off DVD coupon says 'expires 3/6/2004'? wasn't that last March? If I try to use it anyhow, Best Buy is gonna really scrutinize the coupon. They hire real register hawks at my location and act like the fine print says we're taking their first-born. I don't think I have a chance of getting it, so I guess I stick with coconuts.com. I have a plan with the rebate without having to cut up the box (if that is necessary). Basically don't include the UPC and when you get the rejection letter, send in a photocopy of the UPC and claim they must have lost it. I have had to resubmit other rebates with copies of the UPCs I scanned into my PC before mailing off those rebates. Never had a problem resubmitting with the photocopy of the UPC. That's my plan anyhow if the box has to be cut.
Yes, but the book came out AFTER 3/6/04. The book was released when Madden 2005 came out. I'm sure you could argue with a manager to say that you bought madden and got that book and the coupon was expired before you could even use it.
Old 09-20-04, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by DJ_Longfellow
Yes, but the book came out AFTER 3/6/04. The book was released when Madden 2005 came out. I'm sure you could argue with a manager to say that you bought madden and got that book and the coupon was expired before you could even use it.
I found the thread regarding the Madden coupon book and will use that argument with detail (if necessary) after what Best Buy corporate told the other guy that called them asking about it. Now I am kinda hoping that the coconuts.com order doesn't ship out for an extra day or so, I can cancel that order if I can get the 20% off at Best Buy. It's worth a shot anyway, even though I know how Best Buy acts in regard to their customer (always deny them the best deal, at least at my particular store in this area. I have been butt up the store manager arguing before)
Old 09-20-04, 05:08 PM

Was curious about the Madden 2005 coupon book at Best Buy and picked one up today (sans Madden video game). Didn't anyone notice the expiration for the 20% off DVD coupon says 'expires 3/6/2004'? wasn't that last March? If I try to use it anyhow, Best Buy is gonna really scrutinize the coupon.
I've used the coupon without any problems. Yes, the expiration date says it expires 3/6/2004.

However if you look at all the other coupons in the book, they are good from 8/1/04-12/31/2004. I would assume that this would mean that the coupon book was printed sometime shortly before 8/1/04. I would also assume that this was supposed to be the length of time that the 20% DVD Coupon was meant to be good for.

I would tell them to scan the coupon and see if the computer will accept it.

Bring the entire book with you to Best Buy and point out that all the other coupons have the same expiration date and that the one of the 20% coupon must be a misprint.
Old 09-20-04, 05:10 PM
Banned

Are any of the B&Ms opening at midnight to sell this thing? I'm a little suprised that I haven't seen midnight openings mentioned.
Old 09-20-04, 05:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts
Originally posted by Captain Pike
Are any of the B&Ms opening at midnight to sell this thing? I'm a little suprised that I haven't seen midnight openings mentioned.
"look haaarder" ...
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=382559
Old 09-20-04, 05:36 PM
Banned

Originally posted by scott1598
"look haaarder" ...
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=382559
Yep. My mistake. Sorrrry.
Old 09-20-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got off the phone with my local Sam Goody, and Wal Mart. Seems that SG will have it for 49.99 (a big rip-off), and WM's price here in town won't be much better, 48.xx. I saw screw it locally, i'm driving 60 miles to Best Buy, it'll be worth the drive. They have it for 42.99 and i'll use the Madden 05 coupon for 20% off that, which is 34.39...and i'll be picking up 3 copies of it, so total savings will be 43.80 (14.60 x 3)....enough to buy a 4th set if i needed to...and i'll be getting 3 copies of that Exclusive Star Wars Insider magazine issue....so me, my brother, and my boss will all be happy!
Old 09-20-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So what's the best price for Star Wars? $41.88 shipped @ DDD?
Old 09-20-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
This guy selling it on Amazon under the "more buying choices" button claims to be selling it for $23 -- don't know if I'd trust that though, he's a "new seller" with no previous record. $23 seems rather ridiculously cheap for a new copy of this set at this point.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/off...?condition=all
Old 09-20-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
This guy selling it on Amazon under the "more buying choices" button claims to be selling it for $23 -- don't know if I'd trust that though, he's a "new seller" with no previous record. $23 seems rather ridiculously cheap for a new copy of this set at this point.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/off...?condition=all
I had already tried that. But he's sold out.
Old 09-20-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

For what it's worth, I just got my Coconuts order, shipped from FL to VA. The funny part is I cancelled this by email this morning, so now I've gotta frantically see if I get charged for this or not.
Old 09-20-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by reefa
For what it's worth, I just got my Coconuts order, shipped from FL to VA. The funny part is I cancelled this by email this morning, so now I've gotta frantically see if I get charged for this or not.
Heck, I tried cancelling two and a half weeks ago and it still came through - once the order is "Sent to the warehouse" it seemingly cannot be cancelled, but you can refuse the shipment and you will be credited (or return it to any TWEC store).

Last edited by NCYankee; 09-20-04 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-20-04, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by reefa
Can you tell me if there's a sticker UPC on the outside of the box we can use for the $15 rebate or if it looks like we'll be cutting up our precious box set?
Old 09-20-04, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by BenCJedi
Can you tell me if there's a sticker UPC on the outside of the box we can use for the $15 rebate or if it looks like we'll be cutting up our precious box set?
good question..i'm sure a lot want to know.
Old 09-20-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No - the box must be cut. The packaging is flimsy, the slipcover is not nearly as sturdy as the Indiana Jones Trilogy, and there is no paper liner with the barcode on it.

(I posted this over an hour ago on the TWEC rebates thread).

Last edited by NCYankee; 09-20-04 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-20-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts
Well, I figure I can wait for it to arrive. Just ordered it from Amazon: $41.99 - STL + free shipping and a well timed $10 Vividence survey and I got it for $27.79.
Old 09-20-04, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by NCYankee
No - the box must be cut. The packaging is flimsy, the slipcover is not nearly as sturdy as the Indiana Jones Trilogy, and there is no paper liner with the barcode on it.

there are other ways...no cutting will be required.
Old 09-20-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by devilshalo
Well, I figure I can wait for it to arrive. Just ordered it from Amazon: $41.99 - STL + free shipping and a well timed $10 Vividence survey and I got it for $27.79.
how do you do the Vividence survey ?
Old 09-20-04, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by NCYankee

Looks like plan B for me then.. (keep coconuts.com order in case BB won't honor 20% off coupon, then mail in rebate without UPC, get rejection letter and resubmit with photocopy of UPC off the box). That's crazy they want you to cut up the box for the most anticipated DVD release ever. It's a collector's item for many.

Are there any identifying stickers on the packaging (like "Includes best of ____", "for the first time ever", etc)? Maybe the rebate house would accept those instead, as I'm sure that type of sticker is not easily reproduced either.
Old 09-20-04, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by scott1598
there are other ways...no cutting will be required.
care to make a suggestion?
Old 09-20-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts
Originally posted by Class316
how do you do the Vividence survey ?
http://panel.vividence.com/public/the+panel.htm

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.