Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon Blu-ray Discounts and Deals Thread #27

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Amazon Blu-ray Discounts and Deals Thread #27

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
From the "so-good-I-thought-it-was-a-price-mistake" category...

Planet Earth Special Edition/Life combo set
BBC Natural History Collection Volume 1
BBC Natural History Collection Volume 2

All $29.99 each.

These do contain the Attenborough-narrated Life and Planet Earth.
Saw these posted late last night on slick deals. I thought I already had Planet Earth and Life in my collection. But when I checked I only had Life. So I ordered both of them for $29.99. I will just give the other Life BD set away as a gift.
Old 06-05-12, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw that Best Buy has been dealing these series at $20 each, which was tough to believe.

Fifteen bucks a pop is even better! Congrats on a sweet deal!
Life is sold out online and not available in store. Planet Earth also sold out online but says available in one of the 2 BB stores in our area. Any way jumped on the Amazon.com deal. I thought it may have been a price mistake.

Last edited by kahuna; 06-06-12 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-05-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
The deals stayed alive for at least 3 hours which is actually pretty good. The only people who missed out are those on the west coast who don't get up early to check SD.
Perhaps amazon had stock they wanted to get rid of.

These prices were pretty great. Not often that BBC titles are really cheap. I grabbed the Natural History Collection #1 as a gift. I know someone who will absolutely love it. Thirty bucks for four BBC nature titles I couldn't pass up.
Old 06-06-12, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Jurassic Park Ultimate Trilogy (Blu-ray + Digital Copy) - $23.99
Old 06-06-12, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, it looks my Planet Earth/ Life Natural History blu's got cancelled due to pricing error. i had a feeling that was what it was.

What gets me is that some of the early orders shipped. oh well.

Originally Posted by dino88
tempting....
Old 06-06-12, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
I'm on that! Now gotta find something to add to meet the $25 free shipping quota.
Old 06-06-12, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In for a copy of Jurassic Park Trilogy, especially since I regretted not driving out to Fry's last week.

On a side note, Jurassic Park is listed as in stock and I have Prime but the delivery estimate is 6/11. And, all of my new release pre-orders did not arrive yesterday. So when I checked tracking, they were shipped USPS. Is this happening to other Amazon customers?
Old 06-06-12, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by nycdude
well, it looks my Planet Earth/ Life Natural History blu's got cancelled due to pricing error. i had a feeling that was what it was.

Amazon canceled mine too (to quote Gomer Pyle "surprise surprise"). When I post in other messages that Amazon is cancel-happy people act like I'm crazy because they say that rarely happens. It seems like a lot to me. I had absolutely no reason to think they were price mistakes given BB's $19.99 price of Planet Earth or Life BD sets separately. To add in those other 3 series for $10 more seemed very believable. Yet once again Amazon cancels some orders and ships others. I ordered mine at the very beginning when they said in stock and they went to the shipping soon state, but they got canceled anyway. Typical Amazon.

I wasted time reading the reviews of those other series for nothing. Well, at least I know they'd be nice to get if there's ever a deal, but knowing that lots of people (mostly people with Prime) got their Natural History Collection sets for $29.99 while I didn't means that's the top price I'd ever pay for those sets again. Besides now would've been a good time since I can still return my unopened Planet Earth SE BD set to BB within 45 days.

Pretty much any time you see a good deal on Amazon you never know if you'll get it or it'll be canceled due to a price mistake while you read dozens of other people (on other sites) saying theirs shipped... typically those with Prime.
Old 06-06-12, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Perfect Storm $5.20

Free Willy: Escape from Pirate's Cove $7.16

Serenity $7.67

Thirteen Ghosts / House of Wax $8.69

Die Hard $9.47

Grand Prix (1966) $9.73
Road to Perdition $9.73

The Mask of Zorro $9.79

Mystic Pizza $9.96

Back to the Future: 25th Anniversary Trilogy $23.99 [This has been cheaper at Target but this is the low for Amazon.]
Old 06-06-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nycdude

tempting....
Sorry to hear that. Mine shipped and will be arriving today. Can't wait to dig into this set.
Old 06-06-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Sorry to hear that. Mine shipped and will be arriving today. Can't wait to dig into this set.
Mine also shipped out yesterday and should be here early Sat or early next week.
Old 06-06-12, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lizard
Back to the Future: 25th Anniversary Trilogy $23.99 [This has been cheaper at Target but this is the low for Amazon.]
I know this is the 3 disc version but I'm more than happy with the 6 disc version I got at AMAZON for $14.99
Old 06-06-12, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, that sucks about some of the BBC orders getting cancelled. I guess my initial suspicion about the prices was correct.

The one I ordered is apparently coming though. Showing as out for delivery in my history.
Old 06-06-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, that sucks about some of the BBC orders getting cancelled. I guess my initial suspicion about the prices was correct.

The one I ordered is apparently coming though. Showing as out for delivery in my history.
I wonder if those that did FSSS got their orders cancelled while those that had Prime shipped out before the mistake was caught.

I posted (in some thread) that I ordered Battle Royale and was assured by an email that I would get the digibook. well, I kept reading at blu-ray.com that many were getting the digibook and mine had not shipped yet (I did FSSS). Well, I finally received my order -- the amaray. I guess in some situations it pays to have Prime.

On the other hand my Alien Anthology went into shipping state an hour after placing it. Might be they were more prepared for the "onslaught" of orders.
Old 06-06-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I wonder if those that did FSSS got their orders cancelled while those that had Prime shipped out before the mistake was caught.

I posted (in some thread) that I ordered Battle Royale and was assured by an email that I would get the digibook. well, I kept reading at blu-ray.com that many were getting the digibook and mine had not shipped yet (I did FSSS). Well, I finally received my order -- the amaray. I guess in some situations it pays to have Prime.

On the other hand my Alien Anthology went into shipping state an hour after placing it. Might be they were more prepared for the "onslaught" of orders.
I was debating it since I have separate packaging for the old PE and Life so when I ordered, both went oos. They prob did not want to fulfill the backorders at the outrageous low price and cancelled them. I have prime, btw.

Either way, it's done. I eventually talked to CS and got a $20 credit added to my account for my troubles.
Old 06-06-12, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI - there are two Back to the Future blu ray sets for $23.99. The six disc set and the three disc set.

Back to the Future Trilogy - 6 discs

Back to the Future Trilogy - 3 discs
Old 06-06-12, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon canceled mine too (to quote Gomer Pyle "surprise surprise"). When I post in other messages that Amazon is cancel-happy people act like I'm crazy because they say that rarely happens. It seems like a lot to me. I had absolutely no reason to think they were price mistakes given BB's $19.99 price of Planet Earth or Life BD sets separately. To add in those other 3 series for $10 more seemed very believable. Yet once again Amazon cancels some orders and ships others. I ordered mine at the very beginning when they said in stock and they went to the shipping soon state, but they got canceled anyway. Typical Amazon.

I wasted time reading the reviews of those other series for nothing. Well, at least I know they'd be nice to get if there's ever a deal, but knowing that lots of people (mostly people with Prime) got their Natural History Collection sets for $29.99 while I didn't means that's the top price I'd ever pay for those sets again. Besides now would've been a good time since I can still return my unopened Planet Earth SE BD set to BB within 45 days.

Pretty much any time you see a good deal on Amazon you never know if you'll get it or it'll be canceled due to a price mistake while you read dozens of other people (on other sites) saying theirs shipped... typically those with Prime.
Why are you complaining that some people got theirs because they are willing to pay for PRIME while you aren't. If you wanna get in on amazon price "mistakes" pony up for PRIME.

Also, why do you decide that if something was at a lower price a day or week or month ago, then you won't ever pay more than that price? You would do yourself a big favor (not to mention the rest of us) if you would just buy things based on the price YOU feel is a value to YOU, not based on what Joe Blow payed 4 months ago.

Last edited by SoonerDoc; 06-06-12 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-06-12, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

For those that missed on the BBC stuff.. Life is back in stock at Best Buy for $19.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Life+(At...004613&st=life david blu&lp=1&cp=1
Old 06-06-12, 04:14 PM

I've been using Amazon habitually for the last five-plus years now. Not ever once out of the hundreds and hundreds of orders have I placed, has my order gotten cancelled. Never has a company been so good to me as a consumer, as far as prices and customer service is concerned. Even in the few instances where there was a misunderstanding...a five minute conversation with one of their customer reps clears everything up. So pretty much any time you see a good deal on Amazon, you'll get it.
Old 06-06-12, 05:03 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Moopher
I've been using Amazon habitually for the last five-plus years now. Not ever once out of the hundreds and hundreds of orders have I placed, has my order gotten cancelled. Never has a company been so good to me as a consumer, as far as prices and customer service is concerned. Even in the few instances where there was a misunderstanding...a five minute conversation with one of their customer reps clears everything up. So pretty much any time you see a good deal on Amazon, you'll get it.
Completely agree. I don't ever recall having any order canceled unless I initiated the cancellation. Never has a company been so pleasant to deal with - in terms of order placing to order fulfillment and in the rare instance something needed to be fixed, an email would fix it. To the point that even if sometimes they stick to their guns about a policy applied, you are left with no hangups on agreeing with it. Amazon treats you THAT good.

There's a typical lot of people that always complains when an order doesn't go their way. Manzana has been complaining here just about every website where he/she placed an order on a hot deal and didn't get it fulfilled. There are a 100000 dynamics involved in retail ordering and fulfillment - and so there are times when things don't go your way. Most people accept it as a fact while some generalize with an asinine comment like 'typical Amazon'. Never heard a more insincere qualification of Amazon.com - 'typical Amazon' refers to a company that's at the top of their game in order fulfillment, fair pricing and outstanding customer service. That is 'typical Amazon'.
Old 06-06-12, 05:39 PM

Agreed as well...
Old 06-06-12, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Completely agree. I don't ever recall having any order canceled unless I initiated the cancellation. Never has a company been so pleasant to deal with - in terms of order placing to order fulfillment and in the rare instance something needed to be fixed, an email would fix it. To the point that even if sometimes they stick to their guns about a policy applied, you are left with no hangups on agreeing with it. Amazon treats you THAT good.

There's a typical lot of people that always complains when an order doesn't go their way. Manzana has been complaining here just about every website where he/she placed an order on a hot deal and didn't get it fulfilled. There are a 100000 dynamics involved in retail ordering and fulfillment - and so there are times when things don't go your way. Most people accept it as a fact while some generalize with an asinine comment like 'typical Amazon'. Never heard a more insincere qualification of Amazon.com - 'typical Amazon' refers to a company that's at the top of their game in order fulfillment, fair pricing and outstanding customer service. That is 'typical Amazon'.
Well said! I think some people spend more time complaining about not getting a deal than the time they would have actually spent using the product they were trying to purchase.
Old 06-06-12, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1086
I'm on that! Now gotta find something to add to meet the $25 free shipping quota.
http://www.filleritem.com/
Old 06-06-12, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dubya
Well said! I think some people spend more time complaining about not getting a deal than the time they would have actually spent using the product they were trying to purchase.
To be fair, we have to apply the 4 out of 5 rule: ask 5 people about a product/store/whatever, there will be 4 who like it. One won't. That's typical. Sometimes, certain people just have bad luck with even the best things. I enjoy shopping at Amazon and have had few issues with them. But I wouldn't discredit anyone else's misgivings. I've a Shipping Soon on my Life/Planet Earth set, so I hope I get it. I'll be disappointed if I don't, but not too grumpy. I don't pay for Prime, and have no intentions of doing so. I don't begrudge anyone who does, I'm sure it's a good service. And some people can't afford the service. Telling them to pony up doesn't always work.

As far as prices go, it's a mind game. If I see something at a low price, that's the price I want to pay, even if it was on a special sale. I may pay a dollar or two above that price if I really want it, but it's hard to see something return to regular price and then buy it, especially if it's for entertainment.

Last edited by Burgundy LaRue; 06-06-12 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-06-12, 09:49 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue
To be fair, we have to apply the 4 out of 5 rule: ask 5 people about a product/store/whatever, there will be 4 who like it. One won't. That's typical. Sometimes, certain people just have bad luck with even the best things. I enjoy shopping at Amazon and have had few issues with them. But I wouldn't discredit anyone else's misgivings. I've a Shipping Soon on my Life/Planet Earth set, so I hope I get it. I'll be disappointed if I don't, but not too grumpy. I don't pay for Prime, and have no intentions of doing so. I don't begrudge anyone who does, I'm sure it's a good service. And some people can't afford the service. Telling them to pony up doesn't always work.

As far as prices go, it's a mind game. If I see something at a low price, that's the price I want to pay, even if it was on a special sale. I may pay a dollar or two above that price if I really want it, but it's hard to see something return to regular price and then buy it, especially if it's for entertainment.
Prime gets priority - fair and simple - because of the premium you pay for the service. and when a ton of orders are placed with Prime option, its pretty obvious that with limited stock, they get filled up leaving you with little or none to fulfill remaining orders. Besides, retailers don't empty their entire stock for a sale. Its limited quantities to balance inventory. In a world of rapid order placements thanks to the internet, there are times when orders are booked in excess of available inventory. After years of e-commerce, is it that difficult to fathom this result ? so its a hit or miss. With Amazon, its mostly a hit and rarely a miss - don't take my word for it - look at the ratings for the merchant. 1 out of 5 may dislike it but when you increase that 20 fold, that does not mean 20 out of 100 won't like it. Now scale it to a million and you have no validity instating Amazon ALWAYS cancels orders. That's total BS and a deliberate misrepresentation.

And it it were indeed real and you were a customer whose orders are always canceled by Amazon, you better go have your future read by a tarot card reader - cos you seem to be a 'specially selected' candidate for this treatment

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.