Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-14, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Yeah, that's not a great situation. She's playing here at the football stadium, and we have decent tickets. like halfway to the end-zone stage. I figured the tix would sell out in 15 seconds, but one of the kids signed up at Swift's website and got a code to purchase a week early.
Old 12-11-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Her new video

She plays a crazy B

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/e-ORhEE9VVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-11-14, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

From her reportedly past relationships and songs written about them, this video may not be far from the truth.

Interesting how she has evolved from a simple twangy country teen with a guitar to catchy, super slick pop.
Old 12-12-14, 10:20 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Interesting how she has evolved from a simple twangy country teen with a guitar to catchy, super slick pop.
I'm curious how that will play out in concerts, since fans will still want to hear the old stuff in addition to the new. I know many of her country hits had pop radio remixes... I wonder if she'll do the older songs more in that style now?

It is interesting that she did a few acoustic promo gigs for the last album and performed stripped down, acoustic versions of some of her poppier hits on that one (like "I Knew You Were Trouble" and "22") that are much closer in sound to her old style than the album versions. I wonder if she will do that for any of her new material.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aZ-CFS5EjBE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Sh4RMEaCME4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-12-14, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

^I'd be OK with getting that acoustic material. Kind of exposes some things, but that's what happens sometimes.

From her reportedly past relationships and songs written about them, this video may not be far from the truth.
Could be, or she could just be playing off her image again.

Yeah, the early stuff is not that listenable for me. "Teardrops on My Guitar" is not bad, but angsty. It really wasn't till the "Love Story"/"You Belong with Me" phase that I started paying attention.
Old 12-12-14, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Her new video

She plays a crazy B

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/e-ORhEE9VVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Would still bang.
Old 12-13-14, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the best song from her new album 1989 and I assume it will be released as a single eventually.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xkEAncfGZrg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-19-14, 01:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan
This.

She's really young. Not everyone can be Bob Dylan at 22 or whatever. My sincere hope is that in 20 years she'll have honed her craft and be another Lucinda Williams or Joni Mitchell.
Given that everyone has been talking about Red, I gave it a listen. I think hoping that Swift will turn into the next Joni Mitchell is fairly unrealistic. If she's really lucky, she could be the next Kylie Minogue (who is the second best selling female artist of all time after Madonna and has shown incredible flexibility in adapting to new musical trends), but if this is the best she has to offer than she'll simply be the next judge on The Voice.

I'm not saying this is crap, but she'll have to do better if she wants real staying power.
Old 12-19-14, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the best song from her new album 1989 and I assume it will be released as a single eventually.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xkEAncfGZrg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
So what was the name of it as the video has been removed? Sucks she took her stuff off Spotify. My wife doesn't want the new album because it is too "poppy." She is a fan of her country stuff. I wouldn't mind hearing the full album but I sure am not going to buy it since it would rarely get listened to.
Old 12-20-14, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Given that everyone has been talking about Red, I gave it a listen. I think hoping that Swift will turn into the next Joni Mitchell is fairly unrealistic. If she's really lucky, she could be the next Kylie Minogue (who is the second best selling female artist of all time after Madonna and has shown incredible flexibility in adapting to new musical trends), but if this is the best she has to offer than she'll simply be the next judge on The Voice.

I'm not saying this is crap, but she'll have to do better if she wants real staying power.
I am not sure you are right. This is not what I wanted Taylor to do with her career, but I don't get a say in it.

That said, this is one really catchy pop record. Almost none of the songs stay with you, like a lot of pop music, or like a lot of the better stuff Taylor's already put out, but almost every song is insanely addictive, catchy and fun to listen to.

Pop music, especially today's pop music, really isn't my thing, but I can appreciate it when it's really good. I mean, I don't have any interest in seeing a Katy Perry concert and I don't even make plans to buy her records, but Teenage Dream was jam-packed with terrific pop songs and so I bought it. The new album was mostly crap.

In another era, I would think as Taylor continued to get older, her music would need to get more mature. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be necessary or maybe it will change again in the next 10 years. Otherwise, if she can continue to make terrific pop songs, she will continue to be a GIANT, global star and not follow in the footsteps of the awful Gwen Stefani or just fall off a cliff like Sheryl Crow and other "pop stars" that only had a relatively short period of time before they stopped being able to make good songs.
Old 12-20-14, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So what was the name of it as the video has been removed? Sucks she took her stuff off Spotify. My wife doesn't want the new album because it is too "poppy." She is a fan of her country stuff. I wouldn't mind hearing the full album but I sure am not going to buy it since it would rarely get listened to.
The song is called "Style" and it's one of many very catchy songs on the album, which is definitely worth owning if you can enjoy pop music. It gets better with several listens but it's definitely not the old Taylor, not even from Red. She's always made plenty of pop/country songs, but 1989 is 100% pop.
Old 12-23-14, 08:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I am not sure you are right. This is not what I wanted Taylor to do with her career, but I don't get a say in it.

That said, this is one really catchy pop record. Almost none of the songs stay with you, like a lot of pop music, or like a lot of the better stuff Taylor's already put out, but almost every song is insanely addictive, catchy and fun to listen to.

Pop music, especially today's pop music, really isn't my thing, but I can appreciate it when it's really good. I mean, I don't have any interest in seeing a Katy Perry concert and I don't even make plans to buy her records, but Teenage Dream was jam-packed with terrific pop songs and so I bought it. The new album was mostly crap.

In another era, I would think as Taylor continued to get older, her music would need to get more mature. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be necessary or maybe it will change again in the next 10 years. Otherwise, if she can continue to make terrific pop songs, she will continue to be a GIANT, global star and not follow in the footsteps of the awful Gwen Stefani or just fall off a cliff like Sheryl Crow and other "pop stars" that only had a relatively short period of time before they stopped being able to make good songs.
Yes, she made several catchy pop songs, but wenders is saying he thinks she might become the next Joni Mitchell, who is on a whole other level of songwriting entirely. It would be like saying in 1986 that you think Duran Duran might have what it takes to become the next Bob Dylan.
Old 12-26-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Style" was the name of the song

Maybe this link will work

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0RWChVPi27M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-02-15, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Supermallet
Yes, she made several catchy pop songs, but wenders is saying he thinks she might become the next Joni Mitchell, who is on a whole other level of songwriting entirely. It would be like saying in 1986 that you think Duran Duran might have what it takes to become the next Bob Dylan.
Maybe he has her confused with Kacey Musgraves .

I keed, I keed.
Old 03-15-15, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-CmadmM5cOk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-17-15, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-CmadmM5cOk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Very poor video to one of the best songs on 1989.
Old 03-17-15, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree

Lately none of the music videos live up to the song.
Old 03-17-15, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

I agree

Lately none of the music videos live up to the song.
I disagree.
Old 04-06-15, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder what a Taylor Swift and Calvin Harris song would sound like if they collaborated since they are supposedly a couple now.

Maybe Swift can do a duet with Harris like Calvin did with Ellie Goulding but Ellie is better.

Old 04-06-15, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^They won't make it that long, though he will have a snarky song written about him pretty soon.
Old 05-17-15, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Disappointed. She finally strayed away from the generic hot male model video and it seemed like she was going to make something interesting to interpret her music and we got this mess.

First, it's an inferior remix and second the video isn't even extended (I guess she had said this was going to be her Thriller) and it crams a ton of action in just under 4 minutes and really has no story other than hot "chicks" fighting.

If she really wanted to do something Tarantino-like, she should have gotten him to direct something like 6-8 minutes long. He seems to love pop culture and surprising people, so I think he would have been game.

<iframe src="*****************e/BO8R" width="804" height="452" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen scrolling="no"></iframe>
Old 05-18-15, 10:46 AM

I enjoyed the video, but it's definitely too crowded for a 4 minute running time. An extended version is definitely needed.
Old 05-18-15, 10:47 AM

BTW, shouldn't there be a new "1989" thread? Or is this the catch-all thread for all things Taylor?
Old 05-18-15, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I liked the video (except for it apparently being autoplay in this thread) and would watch an 80-minute movie version. As someone who follows Swift on instagram (yes, I am a teen girl) but doesn't otherwise keep up on the news/gossip, now I understand why she's been posting faux movie posters for the last month or so.

Originally Posted by Shinobi
BTW, shouldn't there be a new "1989" thread? Or is this the catch-all thread for all things Taylor?
The latter, but anyone could start a replacement thread when the next album is coming out.
Old 05-18-15, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That wasn't my favorite song on the cd, but that video is great and may just make me change my mind.

Hope there is a longer version out there...somewhere...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.