Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Old 11-21-14, 12:49 PM
  #76  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,612
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Yeah, that's not a great situation. She's playing here at the football stadium, and we have decent tickets. like halfway to the end-zone stage. I figured the tix would sell out in 15 seconds, but one of the kids signed up at Swift's website and got a code to purchase a week early.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 12-11-14, 04:10 PM
  #77  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 11,686
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Her new video

She plays a crazy B

JeffTheAlpaca is offline  
Old 12-11-14, 04:23 PM
  #78  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,315
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

From her reportedly past relationships and songs written about them, this video may not be far from the truth.

Interesting how she has evolved from a simple twangy country teen with a guitar to catchy, super slick pop.
Spiderbite is offline  
Old 12-12-14, 10:20 AM
  #79  
DRG
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: ND
Posts: 13,417
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Interesting how she has evolved from a simple twangy country teen with a guitar to catchy, super slick pop.
I'm curious how that will play out in concerts, since fans will still want to hear the old stuff in addition to the new. I know many of her country hits had pop radio remixes... I wonder if she'll do the older songs more in that style now?

It is interesting that she did a few acoustic promo gigs for the last album and performed stripped down, acoustic versions of some of her poppier hits on that one (like "I Knew You Were Trouble" and "22") that are much closer in sound to her old style than the album versions. I wonder if she will do that for any of her new material.



DRG is offline  
Old 12-12-14, 11:35 AM
  #80  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,612
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

^I'd be OK with getting that acoustic material. Kind of exposes some things, but that's what happens sometimes.

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
From her reportedly past relationships and songs written about them, this video may not be far from the truth.
Could be, or she could just be playing off her image again.

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Interesting how she has evolved from a simple twangy country teen with a guitar to catchy, super slick pop.
Yeah, the early stuff is not that listenable for me. "Teardrops on My Guitar" is not bad, but angsty. It really wasn't till the "Love Story"/"You Belong with Me" phase that I started paying attention.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 12-12-14, 11:47 AM
  #81  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 10,027
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Her new video

She plays a crazy B

Would still bang.
Shazam is offline  
Old 12-13-14, 05:25 PM
  #82  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 11,686
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

This is the best song from her new album 1989 and I assume it will be released as a single eventually.

JeffTheAlpaca is offline  
Old 12-19-14, 01:10 PM
  #83  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
This.

She's really young. Not everyone can be Bob Dylan at 22 or whatever. My sincere hope is that in 20 years she'll have honed her craft and be another Lucinda Williams or Joni Mitchell.
Given that everyone has been talking about Red, I gave it a listen. I think hoping that Swift will turn into the next Joni Mitchell is fairly unrealistic. If she's really lucky, she could be the next Kylie Minogue (who is the second best selling female artist of all time after Madonna and has shown incredible flexibility in adapting to new musical trends), but if this is the best she has to offer than she'll simply be the next judge on The Voice.

I'm not saying this is crap, but she'll have to do better if she wants real staying power.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 12-19-14, 01:20 PM
  #84  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,315
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
This is the best song from her new album 1989 and I assume it will be released as a single eventually.

So what was the name of it as the video has been removed? Sucks she took her stuff off Spotify. My wife doesn't want the new album because it is too "poppy." She is a fan of her country stuff. I wouldn't mind hearing the full album but I sure am not going to buy it since it would rarely get listened to.
Spiderbite is offline  
Old 12-20-14, 08:12 AM
  #85  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
dolphinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,034
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Given that everyone has been talking about Red, I gave it a listen. I think hoping that Swift will turn into the next Joni Mitchell is fairly unrealistic. If she's really lucky, she could be the next Kylie Minogue (who is the second best selling female artist of all time after Madonna and has shown incredible flexibility in adapting to new musical trends), but if this is the best she has to offer than she'll simply be the next judge on The Voice.

I'm not saying this is crap, but she'll have to do better if she wants real staying power.
I am not sure you are right. This is not what I wanted Taylor to do with her career, but I don't get a say in it.

That said, this is one really catchy pop record. Almost none of the songs stay with you, like a lot of pop music, or like a lot of the better stuff Taylor's already put out, but almost every song is insanely addictive, catchy and fun to listen to.

Pop music, especially today's pop music, really isn't my thing, but I can appreciate it when it's really good. I mean, I don't have any interest in seeing a Katy Perry concert and I don't even make plans to buy her records, but Teenage Dream was jam-packed with terrific pop songs and so I bought it. The new album was mostly crap.

In another era, I would think as Taylor continued to get older, her music would need to get more mature. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be necessary or maybe it will change again in the next 10 years. Otherwise, if she can continue to make terrific pop songs, she will continue to be a GIANT, global star and not follow in the footsteps of the awful Gwen Stefani or just fall off a cliff like Sheryl Crow and other "pop stars" that only had a relatively short period of time before they stopped being able to make good songs.
dolphinboy is offline  
Old 12-20-14, 08:17 AM
  #86  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
dolphinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,034
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
So what was the name of it as the video has been removed? Sucks she took her stuff off Spotify. My wife doesn't want the new album because it is too "poppy." She is a fan of her country stuff. I wouldn't mind hearing the full album but I sure am not going to buy it since it would rarely get listened to.
The song is called "Style" and it's one of many very catchy songs on the album, which is definitely worth owning if you can enjoy pop music. It gets better with several listens but it's definitely not the old Taylor, not even from Red. She's always made plenty of pop/country songs, but 1989 is 100% pop.
dolphinboy is offline  
Old 12-23-14, 08:14 PM
  #87  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
I am not sure you are right. This is not what I wanted Taylor to do with her career, but I don't get a say in it.

That said, this is one really catchy pop record. Almost none of the songs stay with you, like a lot of pop music, or like a lot of the better stuff Taylor's already put out, but almost every song is insanely addictive, catchy and fun to listen to.

Pop music, especially today's pop music, really isn't my thing, but I can appreciate it when it's really good. I mean, I don't have any interest in seeing a Katy Perry concert and I don't even make plans to buy her records, but Teenage Dream was jam-packed with terrific pop songs and so I bought it. The new album was mostly crap.

In another era, I would think as Taylor continued to get older, her music would need to get more mature. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be necessary or maybe it will change again in the next 10 years. Otherwise, if she can continue to make terrific pop songs, she will continue to be a GIANT, global star and not follow in the footsteps of the awful Gwen Stefani or just fall off a cliff like Sheryl Crow and other "pop stars" that only had a relatively short period of time before they stopped being able to make good songs.
Yes, she made several catchy pop songs, but wenders is saying he thinks she might become the next Joni Mitchell, who is on a whole other level of songwriting entirely. It would be like saying in 1986 that you think Duran Duran might have what it takes to become the next Bob Dylan.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 12-26-14, 04:22 PM
  #88  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 11,686
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

"Style" was the name of the song

Maybe this link will work

JeffTheAlpaca is offline  
Old 01-02-15, 10:14 AM
  #89  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Yes, she made several catchy pop songs, but wenders is saying he thinks she might become the next Joni Mitchell, who is on a whole other level of songwriting entirely. It would be like saying in 1986 that you think Duran Duran might have what it takes to become the next Bob Dylan.
Maybe he has her confused with Kacey Musgraves .

I keed, I keed.
hanshotfirst1138 is offline  
Old 03-15-15, 05:25 PM
  #90  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 11,686
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

JeffTheAlpaca is offline  
Old 03-17-15, 04:08 AM
  #91  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
dolphinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,034
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Very poor video to one of the best songs on 1989.
dolphinboy is offline  
Old 03-17-15, 04:14 PM
  #92  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 11,686
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

I agree

Lately none of the music videos live up to the song.
JeffTheAlpaca is offline  
Old 03-17-15, 08:30 PM
  #93  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 869
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
I agree

Lately none of the music videos live up to the song.
I disagree.
sportsfan64 is offline  
Old 04-06-15, 02:56 AM
  #94  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 11,686
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

I wonder what a Taylor Swift and Calvin Harris song would sound like if they collaborated since they are supposedly a couple now.

Maybe Swift can do a duet with Harris like Calvin did with Ellie Goulding but Ellie is better.

JeffTheAlpaca is offline  
Old 04-06-15, 07:57 AM
  #95  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,315
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

^They won't make it that long, though he will have a snarky song written about him pretty soon.
Spiderbite is offline  
Old 05-17-15, 10:08 PM
  #96  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
dolphinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,034
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Disappointed. She finally strayed away from the generic hot male model video and it seemed like she was going to make something interesting to interpret her music and we got this mess.

First, it's an inferior remix and second the video isn't even extended (I guess she had said this was going to be her Thriller) and it crams a ton of action in just under 4 minutes and really has no story other than hot "chicks" fighting.

If she really wanted to do something Tarantino-like, she should have gotten him to direct something like 6-8 minutes long. He seems to love pop culture and surprising people, so I think he would have been game.

dolphinboy is offline  
Old 05-18-15, 10:46 AM
  #97  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 697
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

I enjoyed the video, but it's definitely too crowded for a 4 minute running time. An extended version is definitely needed.
Shinobi is offline  
Old 05-18-15, 10:47 AM
  #98  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 697
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

BTW, shouldn't there be a new "1989" thread? Or is this the catch-all thread for all things Taylor?
Shinobi is offline  
Old 05-18-15, 05:58 PM
  #99  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,612
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

I liked the video (except for it apparently being autoplay in this thread) and would watch an 80-minute movie version. As someone who follows Swift on instagram (yes, I am a teen girl) but doesn't otherwise keep up on the news/gossip, now I understand why she's been posting faux movie posters for the last month or so.

Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
BTW, shouldn't there be a new "1989" thread? Or is this the catch-all thread for all things Taylor?
The latter, but anyone could start a replacement thread when the next album is coming out.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 05-18-15, 09:11 PM
  #100  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
onebyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,049
re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

That wasn't my favorite song on the cd, but that video is great and may just make me change my mind.

Hope there is a longer version out there...somewhere...
onebyone is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.