Reload this Page >

Metroid Dread (Switch; 10/8/21)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Metroid Dread (Switch; 10/8/21)

Old 06-17-21, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,170 Likes on 4,200 Posts
Re: Metroid Dread (Switch; 10/8/21)

I would NEVER buy a full game on the Switch that is also available on Xbox or PS4. When you first get the system you can fool yourself into thinking "Hey, I can play Borderlands or Mortal Kombat or Skyrim on the go!" and that sounds awesome. But it's an inferior game play experience. And there are PLENTY of worthy Switch exclusive games to keep you entertained no matter how long your trip is. The Switch is also excellent for smaller indie games that are tons of fun on the go. Something fun to pick up and play that doesn't have to look amazing is always worth having on a Switch. I just grabbed Scott Pilgrim yesterday and can't with to play some this weekend.
Old 06-18-21, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure every significant Wii U game has been remastered in some way for the Switch anyway.

If you haven't been in the Nintendo ecosystem in past generations, even if it was backward compatible, you'd have to buy all the older games, and I'm pretty sure OldBoy would go on another rant about Nintendo games keeping their prices.
Old 06-18-21, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Yeah, the Switch is a properly designed version of the Wii U with a slight increase in power (turning the clunkiest console ever made into the slickest). Games and all. Nintendo milked the shit out of those (surprisingly solid) Wii U titles.

I wish they'd release some info on the Switch Pro though.
Old 06-18-21, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

I wish they’d release Twilight Princess and Wind Waker on the Switch, though I realize both were pre-WiiU. I’d gladly take straight ports of the WiiU versions. Instead we’re getting Skyward Sword, which I think is the least memorable game in the series.

But yeah, generally Nintendo has done a solid job at milking the best WiiU games with solid re-releases.
Old 06-18-21, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I wish they’d release Twilight Princess and Wind Waker on the Switch, though I realize both were pre-WiiU. I’d gladly take straight ports of the WiiU versions. Instead we’re getting Skyward Sword, which I think is the least memorable game in the series.

But yeah, generally Nintendo has done a solid job at milking the best WiiU games with solid re-releases.
The other thing of note when it comes to backward compatibility, is that unlike the other consoles, Nintendo has basically drastically changed control styles/controllers for almost every gen since the N64. Even the DS and the WiiU, which have more traditional controller schemes, have the second screen.
The following users liked this post:
The Cow (06-18-21)
Old 06-18-21, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher

Both of those are "reportedly" (aka rumored) to be en route, some are speculating later this year. Guess we'll see.
Old 06-18-21, 07:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Eh. I’m out. Not a hater, just not necessary and not getting for one game as much as I would love love to play this game. I think it’s gonna be great and very well received.
Old 06-18-21, 07:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

It gives me a Super Metroid vibe (and how it was such a leap from the original NES version, but obviously more brilliantly designed and illustrated/animated in Dread). Which I gotta say I hate as a name. I just don’t like the name. The others were good, but “Dread”, just doesn’t sound Metroidy. And I think the title card is horrible and contradicts the images of the game, IMO.
Old 06-18-21, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

So Wed. morning I went to my local Gamestop to try and secure the Metroid Dread Special Edition, and they were sold out so I was only able to secure the amiibo. I read on Twitter that Amazon Japan was taking pre-orders for the SE, so I placed what I thought was a pre-order. Hours later I got an email from Amazon Japan that my account was locked due to "suspicious activity." They claimed it was because I needed to confirm who I was? I ended up calling Amazon and they said it was unlikely that I needed to reconfirm my payment info. So I immediately called my bank to cancel my card. An hour later a friend called to tell me that the local Gamestop opened pre-orders again. Not having a card my friend agreed to pre-order two copies (one for me and one for my girlfriend) I paid him back today.

I think next E3 I'm gonna take the week off.to ensure that I don't miss the online pre-orders. This was waaaaay to stressful.
Old 06-23-21, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Damn. So any stores not do their preorders yet? And how do you guys get notified of stock?
Old 06-24-21, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Damn. So any stores not do their preorders yet? And how do you guys get notified of stock?
You can definitely pre-order the standard edition, but the amiibo and special editions are sold out everywhere. Online bots/rabid scalpers made sure online went out of stock quickly.
Old 06-25-21, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by zero
You can definitely pre-order the standard edition, but the amiibo and special editions are sold out everywhere. Online bots/rabid scalpers made sure online went out of stock quickly.
Double damn.

Yeah I'm not too worried about getting the game itself. Even the Amiibo I think can score at some point. But the special editions are almost always difficult to get now.
Old 06-27-21, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

I just finished up Metroid Zero Mission for the first time and it was a solid 8/10 for the first 90% of the game but the Mother Brain boss battle was so frustrating and unfun compared to everything before it that it really dampened my enjoyment of the game.
Old 06-28-21, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I just finished up Metroid Zero Mission for the first time and it was a solid 8/10 for the first 90% of the game but the Mother Brain boss battle was so frustrating and unfun compared to everything before it that it really dampened my enjoyment of the game.
I dare say that is the best Metroid game to date. Perfect blend of old school and new school. I must have beat that game 3 dozen times. Speed running that game is the best too. A lot of little shorcuts here and there if you know where to look and if you're skilled enough.
Old 07-01-21, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just wrapped up Metroid Fusion and I liked that quite a bit more than Zero Mission.
Old 07-01-21, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,170 Likes on 4,200 Posts

I remember loving Metroid Fusion. It was a long time ago.
Old 07-05-21, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just wrapped up Metroid Fusion and I liked that quite a bit more than Zero Mission.
I think the story was a bit better and had more depth then Zero Mission but the gameplay and level design of Zero Mission had Fusion beat IMHO. Fusion was much more linear and slower paced.
Old 07-05-21, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tanman
I think the story was a bit better and had more depth then Zero Mission but the gameplay and level design of Zero Mission had Fusion beat IMHO. Fusion was much more linear and slower paced.
I think what we like about games is fundamentally different. I've never once though a game being linear as a negative. I also like slower paced games (obviously there are extremes).
Old 07-07-21, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think what we like about games is fundamentally different. I've never once though a game being linear as a negative. I also like slower paced games (obviously there are extremes).
Not really. We're talking about two pretty similar games so linear and slower paced are all relatively speaking. Also I didn't say it made it a bad game. I loved Metroid Fusion. It has one of my favorite end boss battles with the Omega Metroid and it adds a lot to the Metroid lore. There was just a lot more dialogue in Fusion and Zero Mission seemed like it was specifically designed for different runs, like speed runs, completion runs, or minimal equipment runs. Especially since they had different endings specifically for meeting those parameters. Plus Zero Mission introduced use to Zero Suit Samus
Old 10-06-21, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Reviews are dropping; one of the best Metroid games to be release. Overwhelmingly positive.

The Polygon review mentions visuals while in dock mode. I guess the game looks noticeably worse while docked on a larger TV since the game continues to run at 720p. Not bad but not as crisp as on the Switch screen in handheld.

Last edited by Noonan; 10-06-21 at 08:31 AM.
steebo777 (10-06-21)
Old 10-06-21, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Reviews are overwhelming positive but the stuff people are raving about are things I hate so I'm feeling less certain than I was before the reviews. It's Metroid so I'm still going to give it a chance though.
Old 10-07-21, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Reviews are overwhelming positive but the stuff people are raving about are things I hate so I'm feeling less certain than I was before the reviews. It's Metroid so I'm still going to give it a chance though.
What parts do you hate? I'm guessing the need to travel around to find out where you should be going?
Old 10-07-21, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan
What parts do you hate? I'm guessing the need to travel around to find out where you should be going?
That's pretty much every metroidvania so no. All the reviews I read said the crushing difficulty was one of the best things about it along with the addition of stealth. Reviewers talking about dying hundreds of times in stealth sections is not my idea of a good time.

Like I said I'm a Metroid fan and I love metroidvania's so I'm going to play it but them saying we made a really good Metroid game but also made it insanely hard is not what I wanted to hear.
Adam Tyner (10-07-21)
Old 10-07-21, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Got it. Yeah, I also saw comments about it being the most difficult 1st Party Nintendo game to be released. I'm excited for the boss fights but not so much any stealth areas.
Old 10-07-21, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

That's pretty much every metroidvania so no. All the reviews I read said the crushing difficulty was one of the best things about it along with the addition of stealth. Reviewers talking about dying hundreds of times in stealth sections is not my idea of a good time.
Damn, reading that has killed whatever hype I had as well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.