Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-20, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

Received 759 Likes on 501 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

I had to find buried parts for a dude that jumped (or fell) off his ship and washed up on the beach. Took a while for him to wake to tell me that he needed parts for his communicator. Have not seen a ghost that was mentioned above yet.

Where are folks getting the stronger axe from?

What's the point of the savings bank? Is there interest earned, or is there a limit to how much you can carry or something?

Old 03-23-20, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
I had to find buried parts for a dude that jumped (or fell) off his ship and washed up on the beach. Took a while for him to wake to tell me that he needed parts for his communicator. Have not seen a ghost that was mentioned above yet.

Where are folks getting the stronger axe from?

What's the point of the savings bank? Is there interest earned, or is there a limit to how much you can carry or something?
Do you have any of the sturdier tools? After you pay off your first tent, you unlock a feature at the ATM to use your nook miles for other things: one of them is DIY recipes for sturdier items including a regular axe that chops down trees, or a sturdier mini axe that chops wood and won't break as easily. There's also stuff like expanding your pocket space.
Old 03-23-20, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Received 759 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Do you have any of the sturdier tools? After you pay off your first tent, you unlock a feature at the ATM to use your nook miles for other things: one of them is DIY recipes for sturdier items including a regular axe that chops down trees, or a sturdier mini axe that chops wood and won't break as easily. There's also stuff like expanding your pocket space.
I have the sturdier shovel, but all my others are still the flimsy variety. I just checked the ATM thing and I see the sturdier tools guide now, I must have overlooked it before, thanks!!!
Old 03-23-20, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 215 Posts

Can’t wait for my newer fruit trees to grow tomorrow or the next day, there’s a ton coming in. Two more new neighbors, the town is coming together. Again, this game couldn’t have come at a better time with all this isolation.
Old 03-23-20, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 319 Posts

Started the game a few hours ago.

Paid off my tent, planted some flowers and picked up a few DIY recipes.

Have to wait until tomorrow for my house to be built!
Old 03-23-20, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 614 Likes on 450 Posts

Ran into the ghost again tonight still haven't seen a tarantula which everyone else seems to be finding.
Old 03-24-20, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Ran into the ghost again tonight still haven't seen a tarantula which everyone else seems to be finding.
I've only seen two on my island after much searching. One stung me; the other is in my museum!
Old 03-24-20, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have not seen a ghost yet. My island seems to be overrun with tarantulas then, as I have seen at least 7-8, and caught 4 of them. I have played a couple of nights between 9p-12a local time, but yesterday I seen one during the afternoon.

Gulliver has been on the beach twice so far. My museum should be open today, and I donated all of the items so I could get Nook's Cranny. Now to work on non-native fruits.

Old 03-24-20, 08:42 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 892 Posts

I came across the ghost last night. I have a tarantula in my house (in a container, not running free), but most of the time, I came across them in areas where there were multiple trees.

In terms of progress, using spoilers only because I'm not sure what the protocol is on sharing basic progression this early in the game:
Spoiler:
the museum wasn't open yesterday, so it should finally be open today. Nook's Cranny is now open. I don't like that you have to sell during 'regular business hours' to get the full value of your goods. Haven't seen the turnip lady yet, but I expect that'll be sometime today. Don't forget to throw a celebration for the store opening. Talk to Tom to make that happen. I unlocked the reactions feature, and also set up the three new houses along with their needed furniture. I guess I did a good thing by stockpiling most of the resources while I was after Iron. I'm getting a Fyre Festival vibe from Tom because he seems wholly unprepared for his business ventures and is relying on me (us) to help him so much.
Gulliver (who looks suspiciously like Donald Duck) has come and gone after I got him his electronic components. There's a new character who showed up and invited me to his island. Can't recall his name.
And yeah, the Ghost.

I'm not finding a ton of bugs on my island, and I think I've exhausted the list of available fish for the time being. Might have to venture out to another island again and try to find more of both.
Is there a way to attract more bugs? Planting certain plants or leaving stuff out or anything?
Old 03-24-20, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait, am I not getting full price when I sell via the drop off box at the store at night?
Old 03-24-20, 08:58 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ 80%. They mention that when the store opens.
Old 03-24-20, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen one tarantula on my island so far but it was so early in the game, I didn't have a net to catch it.
Old 03-24-20, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 511 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I came across the ghost last night. I have a tarantula in my house (in a container, not running free), but most of the time, I came across them in areas where there were multiple trees.

In terms of progress, using spoilers only because I'm not sure what the protocol is on sharing basic progression this early in the game:
Spoiler:
the museum wasn't open yesterday, so it should finally be open today. Nook's Cranny is now open. I don't like that you have to sell during 'regular business hours' to get the full value of your goods. Haven't seen the turnip lady yet, but I expect that'll be sometime today. Don't forget to throw a celebration for the store opening. Talk to Tom to make that happen. I unlocked the reactions feature, and also set up the three new houses along with their needed furniture. I guess I did a good thing by stockpiling most of the resources while I was after Iron. I'm getting a Fyre Festival vibe from Tom because he seems wholly unprepared for his business ventures and is relying on me (us) to help him so much.
Gulliver (who looks suspiciously like Donald Duck) has come and gone after I got him his electronic components. There's a new character who showed up and invited me to his island. Can't recall his name.
And yeah, the Ghost.

I'm not finding a ton of bugs on my island, and I think I've exhausted the list of available fish for the time being. Might have to venture out to another island again and try to find more of both.
Is there a way to attract more bugs? Planting certain plants or leaving stuff out or anything?
Different bugs do come from different flowers. I will spoiler something from a Nook Miles island I found.

Spoiler:
I found an island loaded with pink and blue windflowers, and there were a ton of emperor butterflies flying around that are worth 4k each! When I planted those on my island, the flowers, I noticed I started getting a new type of butterfly. So yes, different flowers can attract different insects, at least in previous games it worked like that.

Turnip lady only comes on Sunday mornings before noon. After that you can spend the rest of the week trying to sell them. They have morning and afternoon prices at Nook. Usually there are crap prices, average prices, high prices, or super high prices. In old games, one of the big community events was people opening up their town if they had super high prices (talking like 300 bells a turnip). Then everyone would travel there to sell their turnips, and usually leave a tip for the person with their town open.

The character you saw was probably Harvey. I was excited to go to his island, and then I found out what it was. I don't see myself ever visiting it again.

Last edited by spainlinx0; 03-24-20 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-24-20, 10:04 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ Thanks!
(also, your spoiler isn't properly tagged)
Old 03-24-20, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0

Turnip lady only comes on Sunday mornings before noon. After that you can spend the rest of the week trying to sell them. They have morning and afternoon prices at Nook. Usually there are crap prices, average prices, high prices, or super high prices. In old games, one of the big community events was people opening up their town if they had super high prices (talking like 300 bells a turnip). Then everyone would travel there to sell their turnips, and usually leave a tip for the person with their town open.
Oh wow I remember that, leaving my town open and the DS plugged in for other people to come visit.
The following users liked this post:
spainlinx0 (03-25-20)
Old 03-24-20, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 201 Posts

Pears are native to my island and I will have peaches soon thanks to my mum's gift. Anyone have other fruits on their island that I could visit to trade?
Old 03-24-20, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Pears are native to my island and I will have peaches soon thanks to my mum's gift. Anyone have other fruits on their island that I could visit to trade?
My native is peaches, and I got oranges from mom which should be ready tomorrow.
Old 03-24-20, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,710 Likes on 4,574 Posts

My daughter is obsessed with this game. Today she painted a picture of our brown bunny Phoenix as an Animal Crossing character

The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Adam Tyner (03-24-20), spainlinx0 (03-25-20)
Old 03-24-20, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Awesome, Decker!

I have Cherries (apples and peaches should be coming in the next couple of days) and I picked southern hemisphere since my kids picked northern hemisphere. Now how do we share friend codes semi privately? we had a thread for that, right?
Old 03-24-20, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 614 Likes on 450 Posts

I finally saw my first tarantula today and it was no joke 2 seconds after my only net broke.
Old 03-25-20, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
My daughter is obsessed with this game. Today she painted a picture of our brown bunny Phoenix as an Animal Crossing character
So is my daughter (8). Today she asked if we could play games on the in-game Switch she got, similar to how you could play NES games in the original AC.

It made me think that it would be cool if you could play the NES/SNES games from Nintendo Online via the Switch in the game. Sure, you can just exit AC and do that, but it would be a nice throwback to the original if you could boot them in the game itself,

Unless you can and we just haven’t gotten to that part yet. Does the Switch in Animal Crossing have any purpose?
Old 03-25-20, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 511 Likes on 301 Posts

I have everything except apples, but most of it is still growing. Once they grow in, everyone is welcome. I'll put my friend code in my signature, and I also mentioned it above.
Old 03-25-20, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally saw my first tarantula today and it was no joke 2 seconds after my only net broke.
I caught 2 this morning and got bit by one of them

The one that I sold net me 8,000 Bells!
Old 03-25-20, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, tarantulas are 8k even in the old games. That's why some times islands you visit will be full of them.
Old 03-25-20, 11:15 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Here's an interesting piece about the concerns with how the second local player is stuck playing a fast more passive experience in the game. I think it's worth reading as there's good points made.

Ultimately, for me, it's probably better that my daughter's character can't take a more active role on the island/story. She's still just figuring out the basics and isn't too interested in the progression beyond replacing her tent and earning enough bells to buy stuff, so I'm actually ok with it for now. If that changes, we'll have to figure something out, but I don't think she should need to have her own Switch and her own copy of the game.
https://kotaku.com/it-sucks-being-pl...ng-1842477024/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.