A new Xbox development kit has been certified in South Korea:

New Xbox Development Kit Was Certified Today in South Korea
Old 03-21-24, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 240 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

$0.99 & Backward compatible. SOLD!

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/sto...y/BZ46NPQNX334

"Age of Booty will no longer be available on the Xbox Games Store as of March 28," a
from Capcom reads. "Those that purchase the game before then will still be able to play it after this date." No reason has been given for the delisting.

Age of Booty is a digital-only title, so once it's removed from the Xbox store, it will likely be gone for good. Thankfully, the real-time strategy game is currently on sale for just $0.99 / £0.67 / €0.95, so it's not going to break the bank if you do want the chance to play it in the future.

https://www.trueachievements.com/new...0-age-of-booty
Old 03-25-24, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 03-26-24, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Phil Spencer wants Epic Games Store and others on Xbox consoles - Polygon

Phil Spencer doesn’t just want Xbox games on other consoles. He wants other video game retailers on Xbox, too.

In an interview with Microsoft’s CEO of Gaming during the annual Game Developers Conference, Spencer told Polygon about the ways he’d like to break down the walled gardens that have historically limited players to making purchases through the first-party stores tied to each console. Or, in layperson terms, why you should be able to buy games from other stores on Xbox — not just the official storefront.

Spencer mentioned his frustrations with closed ecosystems, so we asked for clarity. Could he really see a future where stores like Itch.io and Epic Games Store existed on Xbox? Was it just a matter of figuring out mountains of paperwork to get there?

“Yes,” said Spencer. “[Consider] our history as the Windows company. Nobody would blink twice if I said, ‘Hey, when you’re using a PC, you get to decide the type of experience you have [by picking where to buy games]. There’s real value in that.” Spencer believes console players would benefit from that freedom too — and so would console makers like Microsoft.
Old 03-31-24, 04:30 PM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Phil Spencer has been the head of Xbox for ten years:

Phil Spencer Has Now Been Head of Xbox for 10 Years
Old 05-07-24, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT!

​​​​​​​Microsoft has closed a number of Bethesda studios, including Redfall maker Arkane Austin, Hi-Fi Rush and The Evil Within developer Tango Gameworks, and more in devastating cuts at Bethesda, IGN can confirm.
https://www.ign.com/articles/microso...ts-at-bethesda

The following users liked this post:
K&AJones (05-08-24)
Old 05-07-24, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,710 Likes on 4,574 Posts

^ Welcome to 12 hours ago!
Music (05-08-24)
Old 05-07-24, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Never been to thread, so welcome to now.
Old 05-08-24, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
I linked this video over at the Redfall Topic but now feel it's more worthy here. It's been a rough 12-16 months but especially seems like the last 6 months has been brutal to Studios and Devs period....just sad....

Old 05-08-24, 07:34 AM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 851 Posts

I’m so glad I jumped on the PS5 band wagon.
Old 05-08-24, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I’m so glad I jumped on the PS5 band wagon.
I know, right? There's no recent controversy over on that side at all.
The following 5 users liked this post by fujishig:
Dan (05-08-24), gerrythedon (05-08-24), Music (05-08-24), nickdawgy (05-10-24), Spiderbite (05-08-24)
Old 05-08-24, 03:31 PM

Another price hike for Game Pass? I hope not.
Old 05-09-24, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig

Both sides and even independent studios have ....issues....as seen by all the shutdowns and layoffs over the past 6 to 14 months or so. It's sad no matter who it is. Gaming today has sort of become more of a ...Business....than making games for fun. More people playing but it also takes alot of resources, people and investment to make these games. And that's where the lines of Business and Games for Fun become blurred; be it M.S, Sony, Nintendo or independent. The bigger the more costly and the more demand for quicker and faster return on investment. I do think though..... "The Suits" at M.S and Sony do look at the Gaming Side a bit differently and M.S approach to it today is a far cry from the glory days of The XBox 360
Old 05-09-24, 09:41 AM

none that i've heard about or care about. i have enough games to play for the rest of my life.
Old 05-09-24, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

none that i've heard about or care about. i have enough games to play for the rest of my life.
Oh so you were just thread crapping then?
Old 05-09-24, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,325 Posts

none that i've heard about or care about.
Sony’s been gutting/culling studios and making ill-advised pivots as well. Even the massively successful likes of Insomniac and Naughty Dog were hit.

On the subject of Xbox specifically, Eurogamer posted a terrific article this morning — What is the point of Xbox? — detailing the systemic problems that Microsoft has long acknowledged but seems unable to actually learn from. It’s a well-researched and thoughtful article, not a reactionary rant, and I highly recommend setting aside a few minutes and giving it a look.

At least Toys for Bob was able to escape before being shut down.
Old 05-09-24, 10:34 AM

I can understand shuttering Arkane Austin. Fair or not, having a massive failure on a big-budget, high-profile game like Redfall, one that MS was counting on for Game Pass engagement, is exactly what tends to prompt mass firings. But Tango shutting down makes no sense to me. Hi Fi Rush was a critical hit. It's a small game that won't get huge numbers of sales most of the time. Maybe they were disappointed in how it was selling on the PS5? It's been on sale several times already there. Still I don't see the logic in closing their only Japanese studio. I guess they're just ceding that market to Sony and Nintendo for yet another generation.
Old 05-09-24, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Decker
I can understand shuttering Arkane Austin. Fair or not, having a massive failure on a big-budget, high-profile game like Redfall, one that MS was counting on for Game Pass engagement, is exactly what tends to prompt mass firings.
They repeated the same mistake they made with Lionhead: acquiring a studio that’s really good at a particular thing, forcing them to make a game that’s not in their wheelhouse, and then shutting them down because the square peg didn’t fit in the round hole. They lost a lot of talent during Redfall because it’s so far from why these people wanted to be at Arkane in the first place. Arkane pitched another single-player title more in their usual vein before being killed.

But Tango shutting down makes no sense to me. Hi Fi Rush was a critical hit. It's a small game that won't get huge numbers of sales most of the time. Maybe they were disappointed in how it was selling on the PS5? It's been on sale several times already there. Still I don't see the logic in closing their only Japanese studio. I guess they're just ceding that market to Sony and Nintendo for yet another generation.
The word from Jason Schreier is that Tango and Arkane Austin were killed because Bethesda was looking to consolidate, and those two studios (by virtue of having recently released games) didn’t have any big titles well underway and were more in a “figure out what’s next” phase.
Old 05-09-24, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 773 Posts

I can understand shuttering Arkane Austin. Fair or not, having a massive failure on a big-budget, high-profile game like Redfall, one that MS was counting on for Game Pass engagement, is exactly what tends to prompt mass firings. But Tango shutting down makes no sense to me. Hi Fi Rush was a critical hit. It's a small game that won't get huge numbers of sales most of the time. Maybe they were disappointed in how it was selling on the PS5? It's been on sale several times already there. Still I don't see the logic in closing their only Japanese studio. I guess they're just ceding that market to Sony and Nintendo for yet another generation.
Word on the street is both were shut because "they were pitching projects which would take years to release." I guess MS thinks profitable games should be able to be made in a couple months.
Old 05-09-24, 10:56 AM

Interesting opinion piece here. Repeats some of the stuff I have said about Day 1 games on Game Pass always having disappointing sales numbers as a result.
I find it interesting how the sales spree has put way more pressure on the Xbox division to be profitable.
Old 05-09-24, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Noonan
Word on the street is both were shut because "they were pitching projects which would take years to release." I guess MS thinks profitable games should be able to be made in a couple months.
I took that to mean more of a sunk cost thing. If you’ve had a game cooking for several years, you might as well see it through. If one’s barely even in the oven or the batter’s still in the mixing bowl, it’s easier to just say “never mind”. Not defending Xbox or Bethesda about this at all, mind you.
Old 05-09-24, 11:02 AM

Oh so you were just thread crapping then?
how is mentioning liking PS5 more than XBSX thread crapping? i still have and lightly use the XBSX, so no disparaging. just glad i don't really care or follow anything about any controversies for either console.
Old 05-09-24, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

how is mentioning liking PS5 more than XBSX thread crapping? i still have and lightly use the XBSX, so no disparaging. just glad i don't really care or follow anything about any controversies for either console.
I mean you can check which thread you're posting in? That's like the textbook definition of thread crapping.

Wasn't it just last year they were touting how big of a success Gamepass is? I'll be honest, for purely selfish reasons I want Microsoft to thrive because competition in the console market is good for consumers. Seeing them gut future games and struggle with their first party games is not good.

Actually now that I think about it Japan labor laws protect their workers pretty well, that actually surprises me even more that they would just shutter the studio like that because they have to be paying a pretty penny to do so.
K&AJones (05-09-24)
Old 05-09-24, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I mean you can check which thread you're posting in? That's like the textbook definition of thread crapping.

Wasn't it just last year they were touting how big of a success Gamepass is? I'll be honest, for purely selfish reasons I want Microsoft to thrive because competition in the console market is good for consumers. Seeing them gut future games and struggle with their first party games is not good.

Actually now that I think about it Japan labor laws protect their workers pretty well, that actually surprises me even more that they would just shutter the studio like that because they have to be paying a pretty penny to do so.
I think the majority view that which is true; it's healthy and good for everyone. I hated to hear when they cut a lot from 343. Everyone was like, "This is Halo, a cornerstone legend of XBox. What the heck is going on"....Sadly some sites are reporting a rumor the Cuts are not Finished....And I've seen and read from YouTube to sites many are about to ditch the upcoming Showcase planned for June. Heck, I was looking forward to it in hopes of seeing Gears of War 6 and possible other GoW News. But some are saying doing these cuts and how they did it a month out of the showcase, not cool....

Report Claims Xbox Is Planning More Cuts Following Studio Closures
https://www.purexbox.com/news/2024/0...tudio-closures
Old 05-10-24, 01:06 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 892 Posts

There’s a couple absolutely terrible responses by Bond in this interview, particularly the straight-up non-answer on why a studio like Tango got shut down after releasing a critically acclaimed and award winning game. It’s baffling how bad they are at addressing this.

Too many softball questions, in my opinion.

She does reiterate, as she and other execs have before, EVERY first party new release will be on Game Pass. People really seem to think they’re going to backtrack on that, but time will tell if that’s their ultimate downfall as so many people seem to think.

Adam Tyner (05-10-24)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.