Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Old 05-10-24, 02:29 AM
  #2126  
DVD Talk Hero
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 33,851
Received 416 Likes on 312 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Meh. I still play Xbox 90% of the time. The PS5 and Switch get the other 10%.
Old 05-10-24, 08:12 AM
  #2127  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,943
Received 6,455 Likes on 4,414 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Meh. I still play Xbox 90% of the time. The PS5 and Switch get the other 10%.
I still find that so weird, if for no other reason that there are SO FEW XBOX-exclusive games compared to those other two consoles.
Old 05-10-24, 08:47 AM
  #2128  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,943
Received 6,455 Likes on 4,414 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Originally Posted by Dan

She does reiterate, as she and other execs have before, EVERY first party new release will be on Game Pass. People really seem to think theyíre going to backtrack on that, but time will tell if thatís their ultimate downfall as so many people seem to think.
IGN takes that as essentially confirmation of Call of Duty day & date on Game Pass.
Old 05-10-24, 09:02 AM
  #2129  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 49,803
Received 981 Likes on 818 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

^ if the new one sucks as bad as the previous 2 incarnations, then who cares?
Old 05-10-24, 09:06 AM
  #2130  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 19,806
Received 1,037 Likes on 743 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Originally Posted by OldBoy
^ if the new one sucks as bad as the previous 2 incarnations, then who cares?
The millions (10's of millions?) of people who buy the game every year for MP, regardless of how bad the campaign is?
The following users liked this post:
Dan (05-10-24)
Old 05-10-24, 09:09 AM
  #2131  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 16,455
Received 1,195 Likes on 732 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

I think it says a lot that it takes layoffs and closures for this thread to see any actual life.
Old 05-10-24, 09:11 AM
  #2132  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 28,172
Received 1,238 Likes on 878 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I think it says a lot that it takes layoffs and closures for this thread to see any actual life.
Į\_(ツ)_/Į folks like drama
The following users liked this post:
Music (05-10-24)
Old 05-10-24, 09:32 AM
  #2133  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 49,803
Received 981 Likes on 818 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Originally Posted by Noonan
The millions (10's of millions?) of people who buy the game every year for MP, regardless of how bad the campaign is?
ahhhh. that makes sense. the SP is for shit though, and, unfortunately I only play SP.
Old 05-10-24, 10:01 AM
  #2134  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,943
Received 6,455 Likes on 4,414 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I think it says a lot that it takes layoffs and closures for this thread to see any actual life.
To be fair, if there were lots of new exclusive game announcements, it would probably have seen actual life as well.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (05-10-24)
Old 05-10-24, 10:14 AM
  #2135  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 16,455
Received 1,195 Likes on 732 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Originally Posted by Decker
To be fair, if there were lots of new exclusive game announcements, it would probably have seen actual life as well.
Exactly the right answer and that was my point, though I guess I was a little too cryptic about it.

I put all the blame of no excitement for the Xbox squarely on the powers that be's shoulders. It sucks being a fan of the console and watching it slowly disintegrate due to poor decision after poor decision.
Old 05-10-24, 10:24 AM
  #2136  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 28,172
Received 1,238 Likes on 878 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

I mean, if you want healthy discussion about the distant 3rd place console, a sub forum with maybe 15 active posters, most of which are busy as tech support for Oldboy , probably isnít the place to find it anymore. Thereís plenty of discussion elsewhere ó negative, positive, neutral, whatever ó about the platform, games, changes in the business, etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan:
Music (05-10-24), Spiderbite (05-10-24)
Old 05-10-24, 10:46 AM
  #2137  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,943
Received 6,455 Likes on 4,414 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

It really feels, to me, like Microsoft has shifted focus away from the Xbox line and toward PC gaming. Maybe that's the right business decision, but it sucks for me.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (05-10-24)
Old 05-10-24, 08:08 PM
  #2138  
DVD Talk Hero
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 33,851
Received 416 Likes on 312 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Originally Posted by Decker
I still find that so weird, if for no other reason that there are SO FEW XBOX-exclusive games compared to those other two consoles.
I think a big part is the feel of the controller. I like achievements better than trophies. And I think that the Xbox interface is much better and easier to use than the PS5.

PS5 is still great. Donít get me wrong. But it takes a big game (FF, Last of Us, etc) to get me to play it.

The following 5 users liked this post by nickdawgy:
Adam Tyner (05-10-24), gerrythedon (05-16-24), Music (05-10-24), Rob V (05-13-24), Spiderbite (05-11-24)
Old 05-16-24, 09:02 AM
  #2139  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,943
Received 6,455 Likes on 4,414 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Proteus Controller, allowing full gaming control for those who only have use of one hand. It's very expensive, but quite brilliant. Will be godsend for some gamers.
Old 05-16-24, 10:28 AM
  #2140  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 28,172
Received 1,238 Likes on 878 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

New studio in Poland.



The studio boasts The Last of Us, Witcher, Cyberpunk, and Uncharted developers in its team.

Elsewhere Entertainment is an all-new studio incubating an all-new franchise, boasting industry vets. The new studio is based in Warsaw "with additional resources in the United States," and enjoys alumni from franchises like The Last of Us, Uncharted, The Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077, Far Cry, and more.
lots of potential there. Should be interesting to see what they release (and when).
Old 05-16-24, 10:45 AM
  #2141  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,943
Received 6,455 Likes on 4,414 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Originally Posted by Dan

lots of potential there. Should be interesting to see what they release (and when).
Or when theyíre laid off (and why).

The following users liked this post:
Dan (05-16-24)
Old 05-16-24, 08:37 PM
  #2142  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 62,562
Received 935 Likes on 660 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Originally Posted by Decker
Another price hike for Game Pass? I hope not.
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1...574105836?s=19
That's interesting. Hellblade is one of my favorites of the last few years. I have an Xbox but I might wait and see how this plays out since I played the original on PS. I'll pick it up over there.
Old 05-28-24, 09:16 AM
  #2143  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 28,995
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,275 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 is confirmed to be coming to Game Pass at launch:

Old 05-28-24, 11:36 AM
  #2144  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 28,172
Received 1,238 Likes on 878 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Interestingly, the official announcement doesnít block out Game Pass Core subscribers.

Still, I donít expect an increase in hardware units sold at all; negligible at best. Not unless they do a kick-ass bundle, but since the game is mutiplatform and expected to have full cross play (maybe even cross save, which would be neat), the majority of people will just play it on their preferred systems.

What will be interesting is to see how many PC players will stick by their ďI refuse to buy/subscribe to anything that isnít on SteamĒ stubbornness, or if COD is big enough to get them to sub to GP for a month or two.

I wonder if MS will follow Sonyís lead of requiring an account login for multiplayer gameplay on PS5 and Steam, like Ghost of Tsushima, or if theyíll avoid that for now.
Old 05-28-24, 02:05 PM
  #2145  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 28,995
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,275 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Originally Posted by Dan
Interestingly, the official announcement doesn’t block out Game Pass Core subscribers.
You could make an argument that it does, indirectly. Game Pass Ultimate includes online play, but base Game Pass does not. So for people who are only interested in the campaign (weirdos like me!), they could get by with regular ol' Game Pass. But if they want multiplayer, they've got to upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate.

I'm pretty sure that's correct, anyway. Core ($9.99/mo) includes online play but is limited to just 25 titles; I'm skeptical about a brand new CoD game being added to that list, although older ones might. Console ($10.99/mo) has the full selection of titles but no online. Ultimate ($16.99/mo) is all the things. Maybe they'd dangle free CoD multiplayer to Game Pass Console subscribers to encourage new subscriptions, but if they require Ultimate for online, that'd be a way to nudge people into the most expensive possible tier without actually requiring it.
Old 05-28-24, 02:12 PM
  #2146  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 18,295
Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Originally Posted by Dan
Interestingly, the official announcement doesnít block out Game Pass Core subscribers.

Still, I donít expect an increase in hardware units sold at all; negligible at best. Not unless they do a kick-ass bundle, but since the game is mutiplatform and expected to have full cross play (maybe even cross save, which would be neat), the majority of people will just play it on their preferred systems.

What will be interesting is to see how many PC players will stick by their ďI refuse to buy/subscribe to anything that isnít on SteamĒ stubbornness, or if COD is big enough to get them to sub to GP for a month or two.

I wonder if MS will follow Sonyís lead of requiring an account login for multiplayer gameplay on PS5 and Steam, like Ghost of Tsushima, or if theyíll avoid that for now.

I stopped going Gamepass just because of every game I've played I've never successfully transferred a save. So I can't even try a game for a month because then I have to start over. So I either buy it or not. I've gotten better at buying just winners lately (for me, anyway). But I'm done with GP just because of that. Steam and Epic files are a breeze to switch around.
Old 05-28-24, 02:17 PM
  #2147  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,698
Received 2,105 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I stopped going Gamepass just because of every game I've played I've never successfully transferred a save. So I can't even try a game for a month because then I have to start over. So I either buy it or not. I've gotten better at buying just winners lately (for me, anyway). But I'm done with GP just because of that. Steam and Epic files are a breeze to switch around.
Wait, what? Your gamepass saves don't transfer over to the bought game? How does that work?
Old 05-28-24, 02:24 PM
  #2148  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 28,172
Received 1,238 Likes on 878 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
You could make an argument that it does, indirectly. Game Pass Ultimate includes online play, but base Game Pass does not. So for people who are only interested in the campaign (weirdos like me!), they could get by with regular ol' Game Pass. But if they want multiplayer, they've got to upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate. I'm pretty sure that's correct, anyway.
So, youíre right but as usual with MS, the tiers for console are a bit odd.
Game Pass Core ($9.99):
- online console multiplayer
- over 25 high-quality games
- member deals and discounts

Game Pass Console ($10.99):
- NO online multiplayer
- full Game Pass library on console
- new games on day one
- member deals and discounts

Game Pass Ultimate ($16.99):
- everything Game Pass Console includes, plus:
- PC and cloud games, too
- online console multiplayer
- perks
- EA Play membership

so, Core includes multiplayer but Console (for $1 more) does not. Console includes the same full GP catalog thatís also on Ultimate, and both Console & Ultimate have day one games, but Core does not.

Therefore, in answer to my own question:
Core will NOT include COD BO6 at all.
Console will include it, but single player gameplay only. This will surely anger some people who have not opted into Ultimate but think they can play multiplayer for some reason.
Ultimate gives full access to both gameplay modes.

Worth noting: Game Pass PC includes day one games (including COD BO6) and has no restrictions on multiplayer gameplay, because itís PC. Thatís at the same price as Core. PC users can also opt into Ultimate by paying more, but itís only worth it for them if they care about cloud gameplay, perks, and/or playing on console from time to time too. I imagine most donít.
Old 05-28-24, 02:26 PM
  #2149  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,698
Received 2,105 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

I didn't even realize there was a Game Pass without online play bundled in.
Old 05-28-24, 02:27 PM
  #2150  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 28,172
Received 1,238 Likes on 878 Posts
Re: Xbox Series X - 11/10/20

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wait, what? Your gamepass saves don't transfer over to the bought game? How does that work?
I believe sheís talking about switching them over to the bought copy on Steam/Epic.
I donít know how/if that is even meant to work. I know PC mods on Xbox Store games can be hit or miss. Since Debís into mods/cheats, I imagine itís just easier overall to stick with Steam and Epic.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.