Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Nice. That tops me off for a while.
Old 06-25-22, 04:22 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 789 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Best deal right now if you have an existing Game Pass Ultimate sub.
https://slickdeals.net/f/15854944-ga...e_interspersed
50 days for 7.39 by converting a 3-month Gold code.

Works out to $53.95/year for Ultimate.I'm now back to 35 months remaining on my sub.

Reminder that you can only max out your sub to 36 months.
CDKeys only lets you buy two codes at a time, but you can repeat the purchase multiple times
Same deal is now $6.79. Excellent time to top up.

https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/mem...ign=Slickdeals
The following users liked this post:
Decker (06-25-22)
Old 06-25-22, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 716 Likes on 513 Posts

I just did the conversion deal. My ultimate ran out this past week. Got 8 of the cheap 3 month live codes. Entered them one by one, adding autopay, then disabling each time to get the 1 extra free month. After cost of codes plus conversion, I got just under 3 years of ultimate for like $60. I love this loophole.
Old 06-26-22, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I bought 4 at $6.79 before they raised it to $8.59. When I go to the page it shows the old price then immediately changes to the new one. Have 200 days to keep checking for the price to go down again.

I did not know about the free month trick darn it!
Old 06-26-22, 09:37 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

The free month thing seems to be hit or miss. I definitely have recurring billing OFF, but I haven't received the free month offer in the last 2 years or so, despite redeeming a few codes along the way.

Also, for what it's worth, if you're willing to do the daily MS Rewards grind (Bing Searches, Xbox Quests, Trivia, etc.), you can rack up enough points to get free 3-month codes. There are even YouTube channels dedicated to showing you how to get the more complicated Xbox Quests done as quickly as possible. All those points add up and the longer your streak is, the more points you'll earn. I was going strong with that for awhile but fell off the wagon.
Old 06-26-22, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,070 Likes on 2,034 Posts

Yeah I'd rather pay real money than do daily homework, or use a Bing search engine.
Old 06-26-22, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, I'll hit the Rewards tile on the Xbox and check out the games that give you points for checking out, and see if I'm likely to do the Weekly. But I don't work too hard at it. I've got 50,000 points, I should probably use some
I bought another 2 3-month at that price, extended another ~100 days. Thanks!
I'm curious as to how CDKeys and other places are able to get and sell these at these prices. I read an article a while ago about an MS employee who was basically embezzling Live and points cards due to a loophole in his job and selling them for tons of money. I hope this isn't something like that
Old 06-26-22, 11:06 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Yeah I'd rather pay real money than do daily homework, or use a Bing search engine.
Come on now! Bing is somewhat sufficient 50% of the time.
Old 06-26-22, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I tried the free month trick with the last code and I didn't get offered a month, so now I feel better There's also machinations you can do to get 3 years for $80 or so in that Slickdeals thread. But without doing anything I'm getting it for $4.07 a month, which is fine for me. Even if they raised it to $10, which it seems at any time you can grab codes for $10 or less, that's $6 a month.
Old 06-30-22, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

So this is interesting:

https://screenrant.com/xbox-game-pas...oft-crackdown/

"Microsoft has canceled some Xbox Game Pass subscriptions following a crackdown on fraudulent resellers trying to access Game Pass Ultimate."

"Earlier this month, Microsoft announced Xbox has uncovered a fraudulent group of resellers who have been stacking multiple instances of Xbox Game Pass’s standard introductory subscription offer and converting them to the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate tier - which gives members access to additional features and services like EA Play, and the aforementioned Xbox Cloud Gaming, for a slightly higher monthly cost. As a reaction to this wave of fraud, Microsoft has decided to shut down all related Xbox Game Pass subscriptions after notifying the users they were assigned to. All account data and game history connected to these subscriptions have been preserved, and impacted users can resubscribe by signing up on the official Xbox Game Pass website or verified third-party sellers."

I'm not exactly sure what that means or why it's talking about resellers who are converting from GP to GPU....or why that's even considered fraud, because MS does have a conversion policy/process.

Oh, I see - reading the MS knowledgebase article helps a little:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...vseeedzneqf000

"Xbox has identified a fraudulent group of resellers who were stacking multiple instances of the PC introductory offer and converting it to Game Pass Ultimate. To resolve this issue, we have notified the impacted users individually prior to having their fraudulently acquired subscriptions cancelled.Why are you canceling these Xbox Game Pass subscriptions?

We’ve found a select number of memberships that were acquired through sources that are in violation of the Microsoft Services Agreement. Subscriptions must be purchased directly from Microsoft digital store or via verified third-party retailers."

Still not clear if the resellers are using the converted GPU themselves, or reselling - the implication is using it themselves.
Old 06-30-22, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,070 Likes on 2,034 Posts

I had years of Hulu paid subscription canceled after I bought a bunch of discounted codes off ebay. It really sucked.
Old 06-30-22, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk God

From what I read, that situation where they cancelled gamepass was extremely rare. People who do this currently conversion trick have nothing to worry about.
The following users liked this post:
Dan (06-30-22)
Old 06-30-22, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I had years of Hulu paid subscription canceled after I bought a bunch of discounted codes off ebay. It really sucked.
Yeah, I lost a Windows OEM key that way as well.

There are so many key resellers now itís hard to keep track of whatís legit. A lot of those streaming codes come off of shared accounts.
Old 07-01-22, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Far Cry 5 is up now on Game Pass.
Old 07-01-22, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Far Cry 5 is up now on Game Pass.
I bought 4 and 5 for some reason. I tried playing 4 and just couldnít get into it, and I loved 3.
Old 07-01-22, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

4 was the worst of the series, IMO. Part 3 being so great just made 4 look worse.

I think I’d rank them: