Reload this Page >

Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Old 09-01-22, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Been looking more and more into getting a XBox X....PC prices still up and new tech coming so on hold. But mainly after watching Gamescon and finding out a few titles that caught my eye were being penciled in Game pass already...Lies of P for one.....and today saw this article that was rumored to be true but Phil Spencer pretty much confirmed it will happen. And since Diablo 4 is at the top of my Most Anticipated game of 2023....guess I'll start looking for a good deal on a XBox Series X.....

Xbox confirms it plans to bring Call of Duty, Diablo and Overwatch to Game Pass ..... Xbox confirms it plans to bring Call of Duty, Diablo and Overwatch to Game Pass | VGC (videogameschronicle.com)
The following users liked this post:
davidh777 (09-01-22)
Old 09-01-22, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

I screwed myself, decided to try out game pass - didn't care for it but I can no longer go back to my xbox live 12 month gold membership because Microsoft got rid of it. I can't believe Microsoft doubled the price of Gold and everyone just let it happen - f'n ridiculous. 120 bucks a year for a fucking xbox live membership.
Giantrobo (11-17-22)
Old 09-01-22, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
I screwed myself, decided to try out game pass - didn't care for it but I can no longer go back to my xbox live 12 month gold membership because Microsoft got rid of it. I can't believe Microsoft doubled the price of Gold and everyone just let it happen - f'n ridiculous. 120 bucks a year for a fucking xbox live membership.

12 MONTH XBOX LIVE GOLD MEMBERSHIP - GLOBAL - XBOX ONE/360

$45.59
$45.59$71.99
Old 09-01-22, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker

12 MONTH XBOX LIVE GOLD MEMBERSHIP - GLOBAL - XBOX ONE/360

$45.59
$45.59$71.99
Where can you buy that?
Old 09-01-22, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Even on Amazon it's $55.
Sorry you didn't find value in GPU.
What do you get with Gold now - Games with Gold and multiplayer gaming?

Click the link

CDKeys sells keys for games and digital subs. I've bought a bunch there and never had a problem.

I finished Solasta. It had some quirks and definitely a learning curve, but it gave the best "D&D video game" feeling I've had in a very long time, plus my favorite, turn based tactical combat.

I haven't been playing much on GP recently. I recently bought Grim Dawn when it was on sale (and apparently it was on GP like a year ago) for the Diablo urge and have been playing that.

Next up on GP, make some more progress in Citizen Sleeper, and I definitely want to check out Immortality. Recently started As Dusk Falls but haven't gotten too far into it.

Old 09-01-22, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
Even on Amazon it's $55.
Sorry you didn't find value in GPU.
What do you get with Gold now - Games with Gold and multiplayer gaming?

Click the link

CDKeys sells keys for games and digital subs. I've bought a bunch there and never had a problem.

I finished Solasta. It had some quirks and definitely a learning curve, but it gave the best "D&D video game" feeling I've had in a very long time, plus my favorite, turn based tactical combat.

I haven't been playing much on GP recently. I recently bought Grim Dawn when it was on sale (and apparently it was on GP like a year ago) for the Diablo urge and have been playing that.

Next up on GP, make some more progress in Citizen Sleeper, and I definitely want to check out Immortality. Recently started As Dusk Falls but haven't gotten too far into it.
Sorry, the link finally worked for me. If you read the reviews on most of the amazon purchases, People said they got ripped off and the codes don't work. The codes are probably legit but again, Microsoft ended the 12 month plan and now made the six month plan cost 65 bucks and 3 months is 30 something dollars.
Old 09-01-22, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So if you're an existing Gold subscriber on the 12 month plan KEEP IT as you will only have to pay 65 bucks a year. As soon as you leave it, you're not getting it back:

Microsoft Doubles Xbox Live Gold Subscription to $120 Per Year (businessinsider.com)
Old 09-01-22, 04:48 PM

I have bought literally dozens of XBL and PS Plus codes from CD Keys. They all work as described on their website.
K&AJones (09-02-22)
Old 09-01-22, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have bought literally dozens of XBL and PS Plus codes from CD Keys. They all work as described on their website.
I don't doubt that but Microsoft stopped the 12 month subscription plan for 65 bucks but if you were already on it, there would be no way to lose it. Keep in mind I'm talking about the recurring 12 month subscription they automatically bill you for - not a 12 month gift card.

The big difference here is that my 12 month subscription will never change whereas they can stop the sale of 12 month cards. I mean, yeah, they can eventually tell all legacy 12 month 65 dollar subscribers that they're going to get a price increase as well but I think that is less likely to happen.
Old 09-01-22, 05:16 PM

I have never paid MS for XBL. I just always renew (and load up to 3 years at a time) with codes I've bought, mostly at CD Keys.
It doesn't really matter what Microsoft is "charging" for the service as long as there are other ways to get or extend your membership with a code.

As they say, MSRP is for suckers.
Old 09-01-22, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, what has been happening to a lot of people is when they buy those gift cards for 12 months for 65 or so bucks, when they enter the code, Microsoft changes it to a 4 month game pass ultimate deal. Now, I personally think that's illegal but I have now seen people saying this on amazon and gamestop.com
Old 09-01-22, 05:23 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Also, what has been happening to a lot of people is when they buy those gift cards for 12 months for 65 or so bucks, when they enter the code, Microsoft changes it to a 4 month game pass ultimate deal. Now, I personally think that's illegal but I have now seen people saying this on amazon and gamestop.com
It would help if you had your facts straight. That'd be a good place to start.

The above is only happening if someone is an existing Game Pass Ultimate subscriber, because you can't actively have separate GPU and XBox Live Gold on a single account. So redeeming an XBL code when you have GPU means they have to modify what is redeemed. It's not nefarious at all.
Plus, you can opt out by not redeeming the code when that message comes up.

But yeah, illegal. Sure thing.

Last edited by Dan; 09-01-22 at 05:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan:
Deftones (09-02-22), Music (09-01-22)
Old 09-01-22, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

This is what happens when people don't read before taking action.
Old 09-01-22, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok first, calm down, WTF? Second....If I buy a 12 month xbox gold card, it supposed to get queued on top of what I already have active. So when you turn on "recurrent billing" on your account and then add a 12 month xbox live gold card, whenever your game pass sub ends, that's when the 12 month gold sub begins.

That's what a rep at Microsoft just told me and I just got off the phone with them.

Also, yes, that's very shady that they would even attempt to convert your card code like that - that isn't illegal and maybe I was wrong in saying that but it is shady "nefarious" BS.

Sites like that cdkeys are definitely not full on either. Are they illegal? No, but they sell stuff without brand permission - not a huge concern but it's still not full on legit either.
Old 09-01-22, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Not sure why you keep telling people to calm down, when you are the one that is posting like they need to calm down.

It's not shady at all, this should have been all explained to you if you read the warnings before converting to GPU.
Dan (09-01-22)
Old 09-01-22, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Music
Not sure why you keep telling people to calm down, when you are the one that is posting like they need to calm down.

It's not shady at all, this should have been all explained to you if you read the warnings before converting to GPU.
So you're saying you didn't just read what I posted about my conversation with a Micorosft rep on this?

I'm saying calm down because you're talking down to me - your assuming things without not even understanding what's being said.

Anyway, for anyone who wanted to know how all of this works...I saved you some time.
Old 09-01-22, 07:15 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

for anyone who wanted to know how all of this works...
I recommend looking elsewhere.
Music (09-01-22)
Old 09-01-22, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
I recommend looking elsewhere.
Just let it go dude....you had no clue what I was talking about and you were clearly wrong. All good
Old 09-01-22, 07:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Just let it go dude....you had no clue what I was talking about and you were clearly wrong. All good
Ok first, calm down, WTF?
Old 09-02-22, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

THIS...I've used them and there's a few sites that keep tabs of "Video Game Deals"...Slickdeals.net is one...and had no issues. Options I checked on was Normal Game Pass which includes GOLD is at $10 per month. As a side note to the so-called $120 XBox Gold Cost...that was something when looking at the Game Pass I couldn't even find the Normal Game Pass Gold on a 12 month but the 12 Month Ultimate Game Pass which included Gold, couple of free games a month and Game Pass was around $100-$120 for 12 months....that there is the cost of two new games no matter what console you're playing and to me, well worth the cost.
Old 11-14-22, 12:52 PM

Okay this new Obsidian game wasn't on my radar at all, but apparently it's great. Sounds like a fun game to tackle with my daughter when she comes back for Thanksgiving.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
davidh777 (11-15-22), DVDChris (11-14-22)
Old 11-14-22, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 211 Likes on 184 Posts

Somerville is a adventure video game and the debut title by the independent studio Jumpship. The studio's co-founder, Dino Patti, previously co-founded Playdead and worked on Limbo and Inside as executive producer on both games.

Old 11-16-22, 12:37 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I played about 45 minutes of Somerville. It's janky, but I like the overall mood of the game. I actually got stuck at a part involving a bucket. Can't seem to get past that, but gave up on it for the time being.

I played about 30 minutes of Pentiment. I love the style of it, but it didn't rope me in during that first 30 minutes. I'll be playing it some more this week, though. Interestingly, the game director insists that this game only exists because of Game Pass. He would not have pitched it, if GP wasn't a thing.

Old 11-18-22, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Nice to hear, to counter some of the FUD/doom and gloom about GP/GPU. I'm not sure about money, I hope they make money, but I would absolutely imagine smaller developers get more eyeballs and players being on GP.
I've downloaded Pentiment but haven't tried it yet.
Been playing Persona 5 Royal. I don't think I've played a Persona game since Revelations Persona on the PS1. I like it, I'm about 20 hours in and just finished the second dungeon. It's an interesting mix of the classic turn based JRPG, with the Persona tweaks, and dabbling into a life sim type thing.

Pentiment seems to be getting love/hate user reviews, including a bunch of 9/10s and a bunch of 0s. When I see 0 I is initially think review bombing because I personally almost never rate anything a 0 or a 10. A lot are either anti-Xbox haters or posting from other countries.

Does the Gold 'upgrade' thing still work for non-current GPU subscribers? My son's ran out a week or so ago and I'm planning to help him do the Gold to GPU conversion if it's still beneficial. I know Gold converts as a pro-rated level for current GPU members.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 11-20-22 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-22-22, 02:53 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
Nice to hear, to counter some of the FUD/doom and gloom about GP/GPU. I'm not sure about money, I hope they make money, but I would absolutely imagine smaller developers get more eyeballs and players being on GP.
I've downloaded Pentiment but haven't tried it yet.
Been playing Persona 5 Royal. I don't think I've played a Persona game since Revelations Persona on the PS1. I like it, I'm about 20 hours in and just finished the second dungeon. It's an interesting mix of the classic turn based JRPG, with the Persona tweaks, and dabbling into a life sim type thing.

Pentiment seems to be getting love/hate user reviews, including a bunch of 9/10s and a bunch of 0s. When I see 0 I is initially think review bombing because I personally almost never rate anything a 0 or a 10. A lot are either anti-Xbox haters or posting from other countries.

Does the Gold 'upgrade' thing still work for non-current GPU subscribers? My son's ran out a week or so ago and I'm planning to help him do the Gold to GPU conversion if it's still beneficial. I know Gold converts as a pro-rated level for current GPU members.
My GPU expired a few months ago. I bought three years of live for $26 a year. Just today upgraded to GPU for $15. I’m locked in for 35 months now, total cost $93.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.