Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-18, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

I think the same thing happened to me last year with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. It came back available though and I was able to get it with the Prime discount.
Old 03-13-18, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Yeah, Amazon and Nintendo do a little dance sometimes, usually with hardware but sometimes with software.
Old 03-14-18, 12:34 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

In case the embeds don't work:
Spoiler:

I was going to put this in the Thimbleweed Park thread, but I thought it would be better here. Basically, this is LRG's first Switch game. They tend to release physical copies of indie games on PS4 and PS Vita. Since this is their first attempt at Switch, they're trying to see how many people want these kinds of physical releases. Their PS4/Vita games usually sell out in less than an hour (except when it's a dud... which happens...)
So if you want to see more of these kinds of games on Switch, and if you want this particular game (which came out last year), consider grabbing this if you haven't already.
Old 03-14-18, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought this for Xbox since it's a Play Anywhere title, but I think it would be fun to play on Switch; but i feel like i'd have no interest in buying it on physical.
Old 03-15-18, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
Kirby Star Allies is "currently unavailable" at Amazon instead of the pre-order page with 20% off for Prime. I wonder if I missed my chance...I haven't seen this before and it isn't occurring with other Switch titles.
I got my pre-order in on the 11th, so I locked in the price but I have no clue when I'm actually going to get the game. No date set from Amazon as of yet.
Old 03-15-18, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I got my pre-order in on the 11th, so I locked in the price but I have no clue when I'm actually going to get the game. No date set from Amazon as of yet.
It releases tomorrow. Best buy shipped my copy yesterday.
Old 03-16-18, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I bought Frederic: Resurrection of Music last night and it is fun. At first I thought it was a strange mash up of a music game but once you learn it, the music gets really catchy. I still think playing something like this on Switch controllers will always be somewhat hard for me even when the game difficulty is on easy.
Old 03-16-18, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have Kirby pre-ordered through GameStop so I’ll probably go out and pick it up this afternoon sometime. It’s been a while since I’ve played a new Kirby game so I’m looking forward to it.
Old 03-17-18, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Picked up Kirby Star Allies yesterday.

I'm enjoying it so far. Combining powers with Allies has been fun.
Old 03-17-18, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Picked up Kirby Star Allies yesterday.

I'm enjoying it so far. Combining powers with Allies has been fun.
Same here. Just finished the second world and enjoying it a great deal.
Old 03-19-18, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody know what are the best options for buying a Switch console bundle these days? Looking for the typical bundle that comes with at least one of the top rated games, preferably Zelda. Does Costco still have them? Need one as a reward for my daughter.
Old 03-19-18, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Anybody know what are the best options for buying a Switch console bundle these days? Looking for the typical bundle that comes with at least one of the top rated games, preferably Zelda. Does Costco still have them? Need one as a reward for my daughter.
I don’t think there are any bundles for sale currently, but even when they were, it was just the MSRP of the system plus the game. Unless you desired the unique colored Joy Com, there wasn’t a reason to get a bundle.
Old 03-19-18, 09:21 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Yeah, the bundle came with digital copies of the game anyway at full list price, plus you were forced to pay an extra $20 for the case included with the bundle. Easier just to buy a plain bundle at Target (5% off with Target card), and pick up a couple $50 eshop cards on Ebay for $42 to buy the games you want.
Old 03-19-18, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nintendo is bound and determined to get every penny for this console. I know I paid every red cent 9 days ago for it. Better just pony up for the system and enjoy it. I was able to buy a brand new Pro controller from a guy I met on Friday at Best Buy. He sold it to me for 50 bucks straight up. Was at Best Buy to pick up Kirby but have to say this it is rather mundane so far, in my opinion. Just not feeling the desire to push on like I did with Mario Odyssey, which I ended up beating in less than a week. My son does like to watch me play Kirby but he is also 3 years old.
Old 03-19-18, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Nintendo is bound and determined to get every penny for this console. I know I paid every red cent 9 days ago for it. Better just pony up for the system and enjoy it. I was able to buy a brand new Pro controller from a guy I met on Friday at Best Buy. He sold it to me for 50 bucks straight up. Was at Best Buy to pick up Kirby but have to say this it is rather mundane so far, in my opinion. Just not feeling the desire to push on like I did with Mario Odyssey, which I ended up beating in less than a week. My son does like to watch me play Kirby but he is also 3 years old.
The console itself was on sale for $279 online the other day, and Pro controllers have gone on sale a few times. There was a weird sale last week where a couple places sold the system w/ grey game cons for $225, and apparently shipped.

How much of Mario Odyssey did you beat? That game doesn't even feel like it really starts until you finish the story.

Zelda:BotW is currently $44.99 at Best Buy ($35.99 if you have GCU).
Mario Odyssey is currently $48.99 at BB ($39.19 if you have GCU)

Last edited by RichC2; 03-19-18 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-19-18, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah there’s a lot more to Super Mario Odyssey than the main story. I’ve been playing off and on since release and am just wrapping up. Still have to beat Darker Side of the Moon but there’s over 800 others to collect that are pretty time consuming.
Old 03-19-18, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
What is GCU? Any cost involved?
Old 03-19-18, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
What is GCU? Any cost involved?
$30/2 years.

It's basically just 20% off all "new" software, 10% all used software, double points, some coupons and other crap. Mostly it brings the price of all $59.99 titles down to $47.99, which Amazon has since replicated for "pre-orders" for Prime members.
Old 03-19-18, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

$30/2 years.

It's basically just 20% off all "new" games.. which Amazon has since replicated for "pre-orders" for Prime members.
Though Amazon only does it with Pre-orders and games in the first two weeks while Best Buy does it with all non-used games even stacking with sales (only excluding Black Friday deals).
Old 03-19-18, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Amazon only gives 20% off for pre-sales (they stopped doing the 2 weeks after release discount) and if Kirby is any indication, a week before release the game is pulled so you can no longer pre-order.
Old 03-19-18, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
Though Amazon only does it with Pre-orders and games in the first two weeks while Best Buy does it with all non-used games even stacking with sales (only excluding Black Friday deals).
True. Like right now you can pre-order Smash Brothers for $47.99 and you get a $10 reward gc back with it.

fwiw, I think GCU is worth every penny. With those changes to Amazon, I think even more so.
Old 03-19-18, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

GCU is still a better option to have than relying on Amazon. They had LEGO games on sale for 20 bucks and an extra 4 bucks off with GCU unlocked. Amazon wouldn't come close to that. Nice to have that option in your back pocket when things go on sale.
Old 03-19-18, 11:02 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I've been fully digital with the current generation of systems. So I'm happy to get PSN cards or eShop cards for 15 to 20% off to buy new games with. So GCU isn't worth it for me.
Old 03-19-18, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

This is probably the one system where GCU makes the most sense, though. With PSN and Xbox, if you are patient you'll get super deep discounts on digital, plus it takes the same amount of space on the HDD. With the Switch, space is at a premium and costly, the installs are generally smaller for the carts, and their sales, while they're getting better, stink compared to stuff like B2G1F with GCU. Plus GCU works on Amiibos if that's your thing.

I mean, when something is on sale for 15% off on the eshop I'm ecstatic, and that would be a "wait for later" on PSN.
Old 03-19-18, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$30/2 years.

It's basically just 20% off all "new" software, 10% all used software, double points, some coupons and other crap. Mostly it brings the price of all $59.99 titles down to $47.99, which Amazon has since replicated for "pre-orders" for Prime members.
Thanks for the info on GCU.

When I look at BB's site I'm not seeing the prices above for those two games. Were they some short term "deal of the day" that already expired?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.