Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-17, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

I'm curious : Did any journalist at the Nintendo Switch preview function mention the screen scratching issue? It seems like a really big deal - especially if it can happen in the first few uses of the system. Seems like a big oversight if nobody noticed it. I am wondering if they used screen protectors or something on the demo units.
Old 03-07-17, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Digging through the January preview event stuff, one of the few comments I could quickly find is this one from VentureBeat:
I’m also concerned about the constant wear and tear that may happen from pulling the screen in and out of the dock. Little bumpers are in place in the dock to prevent this — and one demo rep did assure me that they had put the units through a lot and hadn’t seen any scratches yet — but especially given the scratched screen fiasco of the 3DS, I’m skeptical.
Someone on Reddit asked this question and was told that there weren't screen protectors at the preview events, although who knows if they guy who answered actually knows what he's talking about?

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 03-07-17 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-07-17, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

It sounds like my son's Switch has the flickering screen issue as seen here:

I don't know if it would be better to exchange it at the store, if that's even possible yet, or have Nintendo fix it which will probably take a few weeks. Exchanging it would lose all his game progress.
Old 03-07-17, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
Where's a good place to get the AC adapter so I don't have to take it out the cradle? Didn't think of that with the accessories.
Seems like the official one is in stock on Amazon. Since my phone uses USB-C I realized I could just use the same charger for the Switch and it seems to charge decently fast.
Old 03-07-17, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
It sounds like my son's Switch has the flickering screen issue as seen here:

I don't know if it would be better to exchange it at the store, if that's even possible yet, or have Nintendo fix it which will probably take a few weeks. Exchanging it would lose all his game progress.
If you have Nintendo fix it, I'm fairly sure you'll lose all your game progress as well.

As for screen scratching... the bumpers are actually on the outside of the screen so if you put it in straight the scratches will generally be around the bezel and not on the screen itself, but there are no guides or anything to help you put it in straight. I'm surprised they didn't use gorilla glass or something similar, because even if the dock doesn't scratch it, it's a freaking portable with a huge non replaceable screen.. I remember the original DS also had a major scratching problem, which was magnified by the fact that it used a stylus.

It's also possible there is a manufacturing defect. As I said before, a lot of people seem to have docks that are slightly curved in the front when it should be completely straight, which adds to how tightly the system is gripped by the dock.

The one complaint I can kind of understand from Nintendo's side is the whole charging from the bottom thing. It docks from the bottom, of course the charging port is going to be on the bottom. Still really, really stupid that the WiiU tablet stand is a better dock than this thing. They also have some BS proprietary thing which will prevent third parties from just making their own docks, I believe.

Last edited by fujishig; 03-07-17 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-07-17, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read something online implying that the scratched screens - while a big deal - might be pretty isolated incidents at this point. Would explain why it didn't come up at the press events, anyway.

The one complaint I can kind of understand from Nintendo's side is the whole charging from the bottom thing. It docks from the bottom, of course the charging port is going to be on the bottom.
Wouldn't this be as simple a fix as having it dock upside-down? Pull it out, turn it over to use.. no big deal.
Old 03-07-17, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

They could just remove the completely pointless front of the dock. It's just a slab of plastic. No electronics inside that part.
Old 03-07-17, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Docking upside down would be pretty non intuitive, though.

I thought the same thing at first about the front of the dock, in fact I was initially surprised there was a front because I thought it was exposed like the WiiU stand. But someone would complain it doesn't protect the screen in docked mode, I'm sure (so instead, it does the opposite!).

That kickstand is also the flimsiest thing I've ever seen.
Old 03-07-17, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

Originally Posted by wtsang
I read something online implying that the scratched screens - while a big deal - might be pretty isolated incidents at this point. Would explain why it didn't come up at the press events, anyway.
I could see how dead pixels or flickering screens could be an isolated occurance, but the screen scratching isn't due to a mechanical failure or faulty part -- it's a design flaw as inherent to the system as the RRoD on the launch 360s or the battery in a Note 7. It may be an easy problem to prevent by just taping a microfiber cloth to the inside of the dock (however an inelegant fix that is), but I don't see how anyone could dismiss it as a few isolated occurrences if it's happening to multiple folks using the system as designed after only a couple of days. In my book, that's unacceptable wear & tear.
Old 03-07-17, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Decker
it's a design flaw as inherent to the system as the RRoD on the launch 360s or the battery in a Note 7.
From what some people are saying -- folks on GAF are going nuts posting pictures of their docks, measuring things to tenths of a millimeter, etc. -- it sounds like there are small but significant variances as part of the manufacturing process. It's obviously still a design flaw, but it may not be as widespread as those other two scenarios either. (I mean, it very well may be, but it's too early to say yet.)

My Switch is scratch-free for the moment, but it definitely doesn't just "lift" out of the dock without making contact either. I'm thinking about getting one of those USB-C extenders and never actually putting the Switch in that dock again.

I really wish Nintendo would respond.
Old 03-07-17, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

People are already trying redesigns on their own: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2105260
Old 03-07-17, 09:30 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Nintendo's online store currently lists the Nintendo Switch dock as "Currently out of stock."

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po...ryId=cat831380

Perhaps Nintendo is quietly redesigning the Nintendo Switch dock.
Old 03-07-17, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Or maybe is just... out of stock.

http://http://gizmodo.com/nintendo-d...lin-1793053187
Old 03-08-17, 12:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

folks on GAF are going nuts posting pictures of their d*cks, measuring things to tenths of a millimeter, etc.
Man, even on gaming forums??
Old 03-08-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/8/148...amazon-support

A big criticism of the Nintendo Switch has been the absence of non-gaming features, including support for streaming apps like Netflix. The company addressed this issue in January, telling fans this functionality was “being considered.” And, speaking to The Washington Post this morning, Nintendo America's chief operating officer, Reggie Fils-Aime reiterated these promises — but didn’t offer a firm timeline.

“We’re talking to a range of companies about other services, companies like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon — things that will come in time,” said Fils-Aime. “In our view, these are not differentiators. What differentiates us is the way you play with the Nintendo Switch and what you can play. And that will continue to be our focus into the future as we continue driving this platform.”
Seemed inevitable.
Old 03-08-17, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

At this point, I don't know if I need to be able to watch Netflix on an 18th device.
Old 03-08-17, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
At this point, I don't know if I need to be able to watch Netflix on an 18th device.
It would give you something to do with it after you finish Zelda...

In all honesty, if you don't have an ipad or tablet the portability of it would make it appealing for Netflix, etc... if the wireless actually worked well.
Old 03-08-17, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have a tablet with a higher resolution that i'd probably to watch movies and shows on anyway, but I can see how it's appealing for people that don't want to bring multiple devices with them. I'm travelling for work a lot lately and already have a laptop, tablet, two phones, and planning on bringing the Switch with me.
Old 03-08-17, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I would assume it would have a noticeably longer battery life while streaming video vs. gaming as well. I know the nVidia Shield had roughly 4.5 hours of game time vs. 8.5 hours with video.

So I could see that being a handy spare portable

Last edited by RichC2; 03-08-17 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-08-17, 01:57 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,185 Likes on 837 Posts

I've only spent a couple hours with the Switch... I bought it Thursday night, then flew to LA for 4 nights, and didn't get back until midnight last night. So the only time I really used it was for an hour or so on each flight.

I think I damaged one of the analog thumbsticks, since I put the thing in my backpack with no case. So... I might be buying a new right-hand JoyCon sooner than later, although it appears to work fine, it's just... bent... and it might just be the rubber on top. We'll see.

Anyway... not much to add to the discussion. Zelda is fun. I never really played the other 3D Zelda games so it's very new to me. Handheld, The thing isn't very comfortable, maybe just because I'm not used to it yet.

I haven't docked the thing yet, but I'll watch out for what others have said. I already threw a screen protector on my Switch, so it shouldn't get damaged. I also bought a Pro Controller which I haven't had a chance to use yet.

I bought 1-2-switch, and I really don't know why. I was thinking my wife or kid might like it when I bought it, but really... they probably won't even care. I shouldn't have bothered. Too bad I already opened it, though, thinking we might get a chance to play it on vacation (we didn't). We'll try it out maybe tonight. If it's lame, I guess I'll trade it in and take the loss.

I like the screen size. Some apps would be nice, but aren't necessary really.
Old 03-08-17, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by lopper
Thank you for the information. And the dock is already back in stock at Nintendo's online store, though interestingly, it now only comes with the dock itself (I thought an AC Adapter and HDMI cable were originally included with the purchase of the Nintendo Switch dock).
Old 03-08-17, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, the dock was always sold by itself for a whopping 60 bucks without any cables. Supposedly they were going to offer a version with cables for like 90 bucks but I don't think it's ever gone up.

60 bucks for another way to damage my screen without the benefit of charging? What a steal!
Old 03-08-17, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
No, the dock was always sold by itself for a whopping 60 bucks without any cables. Supposedly they were going to offer a version with cables for like 90 bucks but I don't think it's ever gone up.

60 bucks for another way to damage my screen without the benefit of charging? What a steal!
Thank you for clearing that up for me. My confusion came from the fact that on Nintendo's website for the Nintendo Switch it only lists the "Nintendo Switch Dock Set" that includes an AC Adapter and HDMI cable along with the dock itself:

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/buy-now/
Old 03-08-17, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Dan
Handheld, The thing isn't very comfortable, maybe just because I'm not used to it yet.
I used mine handheld for the first time today and felt the same way. Tough to go from hours and hours and hours with the pro controller and then move to that...where my hands are spaced so far apart, the system is so thin... It looks gorgeous, though.
Old 03-09-17, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I bought this USB-C extender cable and tried it out for the first time this afternoon. Works like a champ. I can still play on the big screen but don't have to put the Switch in the dock. Now I just need to find some kind of stand so it's not just sitting around.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.