Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-17, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Mine just has a Switch display in one of the glass cabinets where the games are. They're right in the upper middle section in plain sight.
Old 05-25-17, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Capcom is supposedly revealing Monster Hunter XX for the Switch on Saturday.
Old 05-26-17, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thinking of picking up Ultra Street Fighter II even though the game is old and has been released numerous times. I actually don't own it and haven't played it for a while.
Old 05-26-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I think it'll plummet in price pretty fast.

You can replace "think" with "hope" if you'd like.
Old 05-26-17, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With the Prime discount its $31.99 plus tax which doesn't seem too bad. I probably could wait though.
Old 05-28-17, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

From Polygon:

It's 'EA Sports FIFA,' not 'FIFA 18' for Nintendo Switch.

FIFA 18 will launch sometime this autumn on the usual spread of consoles and PC. Nintendo Switch owners will instead get EA Sports FIFA.

That isn't some parsed misreading of marketing copy. As noticed Friday by Eurogamer, Electronic Arts itself has specified two different FIFA video games to be shown at EA Play 2017 during E3: FIFA 18 and something called "EA Sports FIFA on the Nintendo Switch."

Given the publisher's history in adapting undated sports titles for the Nintendo 3DS, Wii and Wii U, it's fair to assume, until otherwise informed, that this is the same kind of obliged, toe-in-the-water port EA Sports usually dips with its major franchises on every new platform (even the PS Vita!), with no guarantees of a follow-up or full partnership alongside the PlayStation and Xbox consoles.

At any rate, the different name contradicts what Peter Moore, the many-hatted executive and former face of EA Sports, said back in February. "It will be FIFA 18, and it will obviously be later this year when FIFA 18 comes out," Moore said then. He's leaving the company this summer to become the chief executive of Liverpool Football Club.

Ever since EA reverse-engineered the Sega Genesis 27 years ago to develop John Madden Football, Nintendo has been the stepchild platform of sports video gaming. Some of this, like not launching a disc-format console until 2001, is Nintendo's fault.

But since the Wii, Nintendo gamers have gotten half-assed ports, exemplified by the insulting "All-Play" adaptations that featured cartoony player models and gratuitous implementation of motion control.

Nintendo hardware is not innately incompatible with sports. For a brief time, the Tiger Woods PGA Tour golf series on the Wii was the preferred option, and the astonishingly good NHL Slapshot of 2010 showed the publisher could make something distinctive and enjoyable on Nintendo hardware.

But going back to the undated Madden NFL Football for the Nintendo 3DS' 2011 launch (built by a North Carolina port shop and not EA Sports Tiburon)

Nintendo hardware has gotten little more than trial balloons from sports publishers. 2K Sports, which gamely kept its NHL franchise going on Wii even after canceling for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, published NBA 2K13 for Wii U and immediately gave up.

EA Sports launched Madden NFL 13 and FIFA 13 on Wii U. Roughly forty-two people played them, and there were no follow-up editions.

In light of this history, it's a fair question what "EA Sports FIFA on the Nintendo Switch" really entails, whether it includes Ultimate Team, a story mode or the Frostbite Engine introduced to the game last year.

In 2012, EA Sports repackaged FIFA 12 on the Wii as FIFA 13, changing only the rosters and kits. The next year, EA Sports recycled FIFA 13 as "FIFA 14 Legacy Edition" on the 3DS, and it was so blatantly no more than a roster update that Nintendo itself called it out as such in an official news release.
Nintendo gamers are sick to death of the puerile message-board slur that their consoles are boutique products despised by third-party publishers.

For a more than a decade, sports video games, or the lack of them, have driven this impression more than any other genre. It would be a shame if EA Sports patronized the Nintendo Switch with a port of its best-selling franchise, instead of giving it full partnership.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/28/15...ch-launch-date

I guess this means a watered down version of FIFA for Switch owners.
Old 05-28-17, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I guess this means a watered down version of FIFA for Switch owners.
Yeah. I read somewhere a while back that the terms of EA's FIFA license mandates at least one release per viable platform, so they're obligated to put out something, even if it's not any good. I wasn't expecting FIFA to represent any greater an effort than what EA shat out for the Vita (along with other Nintendo platforms?): a stale port with roster updates. Hopefully they deliver more than that, but I'd be kind of astonished if they did.
Old 05-29-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not surprised, I don't think there would be as big of an audience for the yearly sports games on the Switch.
Old 05-29-17, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

What else are you going to do while waiting for a spot to open up during a pickup game?
Old 05-29-17, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schloob1
Know this is the Switch thread but digging up the old thread might not get my answer. Wii U question, as I'm looking at buying one used online to play all the old stuff that I never played since the last Nintendo system I owned was the Gamecube. Figure while I wait on getting a Switch would pick up one.

I seem to recall the main issue with digital downloads was that it was tied to a user and once they took their ID off the system those downloads were gone. What if the seller is stating that "Digital games are downloaded and installed on the WiiU's default user account". Would this be a workaround and I would be able to play those games then? Or is there other issues this may cause as well. Please note since the last system I had was a Gamecube I have never even created a Nintendo ID, or anything else for that matter. Thx guys.
I would never pay money for used downloads. The seller can always take them away from you. Even if the seller gives you the password and you change it. The seller can call and claim to have had his account stolen or to have forgotten his password. Provide proof of identity, such as the credit card that bought the games, to retrieve control of the account.
Old 05-30-17, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bippitty
I would never pay money for used downloads. The seller can always take them away from you. Even if the seller gives you the password and you change it. The seller can call and claim to have had his account stolen or to have forgotten his password. Provide proof of identity, such as the credit card that bought the games, to retrieve control of the account.
Thanks, good point. Ended up not getting that auction, and got a better one thankfully.
Old 05-30-17, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Nintendo Battles Apple for Parts as Switch Demand Rises
Nintendo has told suppliers and assemblers it hopes to make nearly 20 million units of the Switch device in the year ending March 2018, people involved in the discussions said. Though the company’s official sales target for the year is 10 million, strong demand suggests it can sell many more—if it can make them.

The problem is an industrywide capacity shortage for components used in smartphones, computer servers and other digital devices. These include the NAND flash-memory chips that store data, liquid-crystal displays and [Linear Resonant Actuators] the tiny motors that enable the Switch’s hand-held controllers to imitate the feel of an ice cube shaking in a glass.

“Demand for our NAND flash memory has been overwhelmingly greater than supply, and the situation is likely to stay for the rest of this year,” said a spokeswoman at Toshiba Corp., the troubled industrial giant that is leaning on flash memory to survive. She cited demand from smartphone makers—Apple and Chinese companies are among Toshiba’s customers—and data centers.

People in the industry say the rapid expansion of web-based services for corporations has driven demand for computer servers that use flash memory. Continued demand for Apple’s iPhone 7 and a 10th anniversary model of the iPhone expected later this year are also keeping parts makers at full capacity, helping power Japan’s economy to its longest growth streak since 2006.

Nintendo and Apple representatives declined to comment on supply-chain issues.

Analysts say rivals for the sought-after parts can often offer better terms than Nintendo. Makers of data-center servers tend to use newer and higher-margin components, while smartphone makers issue larger orders than Nintendo.

If Nintendo increased spending significantly to secure more parts, that could risk driving the Switch’s production cost above the $299 retail price. President Tatsumi Kimishima, has said he doesn’t want to sell the Switch at a loss.
Old 05-30-17, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just saw this posted on twitter.

Nintendo Switch‏ @NinSwitchNews 11m Sonic Mania will cost $19.99 on #NintendoSwitch!
Old 05-30-17, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For $20 if the reviews are halfway decent i'll probably give it a buy.
Old 05-30-17, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's also going to be 20 bucks for the Xbox One, Steam and PS4 as well.

Last edited by Sonny Corinthos; 05-31-17 at 08:13 AM. Reason: video already posted in another thread.
Old 06-01-17, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Oh, Nintendo and Hori!

That cable is, like, a foot and a half long too. No wonder I can't wrap my head around what they're thinking. Oh, and you supposedly need a 3.5mm adapter on top of this for use on the iPhone.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 06-01-17 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-01-17, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Makes me glad I have little interest in online multiplayer for the Switch. All that seems ridiculous.
Old 06-01-17, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 906 Likes on 668 Posts

Good old Nintendo. Making things over complicated since the 80's!
Old 06-01-17, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Seems fine to me, though I don't get why they don't just let it use one of the Wireless slots, most people that use headsets are playing solo or with 1 other person, not 4 people/console.
Old 06-01-17, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is pretty cool. Granted, it looked like it landed right on it's back, but to survive a 1,000 foot drop on concrete is still pretty amazing.

Old 06-01-17, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I haven't had time to play my Switch at all since late March. I'm thinking I should just sell it off while the demand is still high. Just makes me feel like a dope for dropping the cash on a Pro Controller too and not using any of it.
Old 06-01-17, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I recall, the Switch is completely region-free, correct? Is there any reason to think that controllers from Asia won't work with my console?

I really want those Splatoon green & pink joy-cons as my second set and I'm willing to import them from Play-Asia or something.
Old 06-01-17, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is old news but worth noting, Unreal Engine 4.x has been fully ported to the Switch and is available publicly for developers as of 5.24.17, it was under limited released in an experimental state previously.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/b...-4-16-released
Old 06-01-17, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Nintendo released some preliminary info on their online service. The subscription is $19.99 a year, and it's free until the full service launches in 2018.
Old 06-01-17, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

At least the price is right, $20 a year for eShop deals and some classic games might not be too bad.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.