Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-17-17, 10:52 AM   #1176
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Toys R Us stores are reported to have stock on Friday.
Old 05-17-17, 06:00 PM   #1177
Adam Tyner
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 05-17-17, 10:51 PM   #1178
Adam Tyner
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

For whatever reason, Japan gets the bundle with the watermelon-style joycons instead:

"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 05-18-17, 02:27 AM   #1179
Mike86
DVD Talk Legend

The neon green and pink Joy Cons are kind of cool looking. I'd consider getting them if I was getting another set. I've never got a chance to play the first Splatoon as I didn't own a Wii U. Is it pretty good?
Old 05-18-17, 07:56 AM   #1180
Adam Tyner
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I've never got a chance to play the first Splatoon as I didn't own a Wii U. Is it pretty good?
The campaign is outstanding, although it's on the short side...somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 hours. Online multiplayer is where the real strength is. I played it kind of obsessively, and I'm someone who's traditionally not even into gaming online. My wife got hooked too. It's some of my all-time favorite music in a game, I love the visual aesthetic, it's neat to have a shooter where the goal isn't to just slaughter everyone in sight, the array of weapons / abilities add a tremendous amount of variety, and it does some really clever things with movement. The goal is to cover as much of the arena in your team's ink as possible. You can move more swiftly through your team's ink (like turning into a squid and diving through it), but you're slowed down by enemy ink. The matches are a fixed three minutes, which keeps things consistently frantic in the best possible way.

The biggest downsides for me in the first game are (1) limited map rotation; 2 maps every 4 hours, which quickly feels repetitive and (2) that lousy combination of peer-to-peer and no regional matchmaking, so you're frequently paired with/pitted against Japanese players, resulting in severe lag.
-Patton Oswalt
Old 05-18-17, 10:34 AM   #1181
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Those neon green & pink joycons are sex. I will get those and would prefer to have them bundled with the Switch I haven't yet purchased.
Old 05-18-17, 10:36 AM   #1182
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

Gross, ugly sex.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 05-18-17, 10:38 AM   #1183
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

But oh so satisfying!
Old 05-18-17, 07:27 PM   #1184
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

I know we're just a few months in, but it's already trending better then the Wii U.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/166...broke-a-record

Quote:
This is the second month in a row where the Switch managed to top the charts, originally managing to move 500,000 units in the first half of March in the Americas and then another 500,000 in Japan as well. The system has been extremely popular, managing to move more than 2.74 million units in March alone, according to USA Today.

Another 280,000 added on to the 2.74 million would put the Nintendo Switch well over the 3 million SKU threshold, which means it's definitely trending faster in the sales department than the Wii U.

Back in 2012 the Wii U managed to move 3 million SKUs from November through to the end of December. That means it was moving at a rate of 1 million SKUs a month. However, those sales tapered off rather quickly and the Wii U ended up languishing in sales hell for the better part of 2013.

The Nintendo Switch, alternatively, has already surpassed the Wii U's sales within half that time frame, managing 3 million SKUs from March to April. The really impressive part about it is that they managed to do so during an off-season in terms of big sales.
I'm still really happy with mine, even just playing Zelda, Mario Kart, and Puyo. Pretty impressive to me given all the doubts and negativity around the system.

Old 05-18-17, 07:39 PM   #1185
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Well if you think about it, you're just playing last gen games, but on the go (I realize Puyo Puyo wasn't released on the WiiU but it easily could have been). But Nintendo is like the master of driving up demand, especially considering how lofty those WiiU numbers look compared to how the console ended up. ARMS will be the first uniquely Switch title I'm excited about so I hope it's good.
Old 05-19-17, 12:03 AM   #1186
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

November and December still add up to 2 months, right? The same with March and April?

I'm trying hard to figure out how Nov+Dec=3 and how Mar+Apr=(Nov+Dec)/2
Old 05-19-17, 09:00 AM   #1187
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
November and December still add up to 2 months, right? The same with March and April?

I'm trying hard to figure out how Nov+Dec=3 and how Mar+Apr=(Nov+Dec)/2
Their math doesn't work at all, in any way. Additionally, the Wii U had sold 3m units by 12-31-12 worldwide, it wasn't even released in the US until November 18th or Japan until December 3rd, the Switch came out on the 3rd of March, Worldwide.

Speaking of gross, ugly sex, Thumper came out yesterday as a download title for the Switch. I've played it a good bit on the Playstation VR and it's decent for people that want something new.

Old 05-19-17, 09:47 AM   #1188
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

I didn't even notice that article's shitty math, sorry

Old 05-23-17, 04:32 PM   #1189
Adam Tyner
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Geez, these games are tiny.

ARMS is 2.2 gigs. Splatoon 2 is 5.5 gigs.
-Patton Oswalt
Old 05-23-17, 04:36 PM   #1190
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, when you don't have a ton of textures to push, or need uncompressed audio or blu-ray grade FMV, your game size is usually pretty respectable.

Breath of the Wild is one of the largest games I've ever played, and clocked in at 13.4 gb.

Gears Of War 4 is at 106gb right now.
Old 05-23-17, 05:27 PM   #1191
Adam Tyner
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

A whole bunch of stuff about Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle has been leaked.

-Patton Oswalt
Old 05-24-17, 11:13 AM   #1192
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

Ultra Street Fighter II reviews are coming out. They're not great, but it sounds like a lot of it is that the game just doesn't really add anything new.

Sitting at 67 right now on Metacritic, 17 reviews in.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switc...al-challengers

Old 05-24-17, 11:38 AM   #1193
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I was tempted when it was first announced, but then they announced the price. Playing against someone else in portable mode seems like a cool idea that I just doubt I would ever use, and I'm not sure about using single joycons either. Maybe I'll get one of the KOF games to try it out.
Old 05-24-17, 11:48 AM   #1194
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that isn't a surprise. It's a $40 repackaging for a $10 title.
Old 05-24-17, 05:30 PM   #1195
nickdawgy
DVD Talk Hero

So assuming I wanted to get one of these systems for my son (read: me), how hard are they to come by?
Old 05-24-17, 05:37 PM   #1196
Adam Tyner
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
So assuming I wanted to get one of these systems for my son (read: me), how hard are they to come by?
They show up online in periodic bursts. If you stay semi-plugged-in to the right Twitter feeds, right message boards, etc., you'll have something like 30-45 minutes to order once the "hey, Walmart/Best Buy/Amazon has Switches in stock now!", with that happening a few times a month. With Amazon, you may need to be Prime as well if you're not already. They're not that hard to get, but you'll be buying it on their timetable, not your own.

It might also be a good idea to use http://www.istocknow.com/product/switch; Walmart and Target list specific locations where the Switch is supposedly in-stock, for instance.
-Patton Oswalt

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 05-24-17 at 05:43 PM..
Old 05-24-17, 06:36 PM   #1197
Schloob1
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Know this is the Switch thread but digging up the old thread might not get my answer. Wii U question, as I'm looking at buying one used online to play all the old stuff that I never played since the last Nintendo system I owned was the Gamecube. Figure while I wait on getting a Switch would pick up one.

I seem to recall the main issue with digital downloads was that it was tied to a user and once they took their ID off the system those downloads were gone. What if the seller is stating that "Digital games are downloaded and installed on the WiiU's default user account". Would this be a workaround and I would be able to play those games then? Or is there other issues this may cause as well. Please note since the last system I had was a Gamecube I have never even created a Nintendo ID, or anything else for that matter. Thx guys.

Last edited by Schloob1; 05-24-17 at 08:56 PM..
Old 05-24-17, 08:48 PM   #1198
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
http://www.nowinstock.net/videogamin...intendoswitch/ has an alarm that goes off when they're in stock, I used it to get mine from Amazon.

Or buy a bundle: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...irpidTRU=27795

or: http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-swi...Yrs4ZlFipmTBDw

Last edited by RichC2; 05-24-17 at 08:57 PM..
Old 05-24-17, 09:24 PM   #1199
Mike86
DVD Talk Legend

For being a relatively new console Nintendo has done a good job keeping them available. I've seen my local Target and Walmart get new stock at least a few times already. Usually three or four get stocked and go fairly fast but at least they're getting out.
Old 05-24-17, 09:27 PM   #1200
Edison
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Within the last week I have seen them sitting on the shelf in 2 different Wal-Mart stores.