Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-21, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 362 Likes on 305 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

I finally got the time in my weekly schedule to contact Nintendo Customer Support.

Had Two-Factor Authentication on my account and forgot where I put my back-up codes, so I was locked out of the Switch Store for a few months.

Feel like a free person now
Old 11-27-21, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

If anyone is interested in some free games for Switch have at it.

Old 11-28-21, 11:07 AM
Political Exile

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Like I said, you have to make your kid's switch the primary so they can play on their own account, and just take the L of having to check in periodically on your, now secondary, switch.

Or do what we did in the old days and buy two copies of the game.
I just picked up a Switch OLED for myself and it looks like only one secondary system can play at a time. My younger daughter in college is the secondary and plays a lot more than my older daughter who is primary, so when I went to play Yoshi this morning, it booted her Pokemon Diamond game. I'll have to see if there is an easy way to switch my daughter's Switch Primary / Secondary status without messing up their accounts. My younger daughter is linked to my account that I use to purchase games. Otherwise, we may just have to share the time for now, but since she just got the Pokemon game, I know she'll be busy with that game for a while.
Old 11-28-21, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
I just picked up a Switch OLED for myself and it looks like only one secondary system can play at a time. My younger daughter in college is the secondary and plays a lot more than my older daughter who is primary, so when I went to play Yoshi this morning, it booted her Pokemon Diamond game. I'll have to see if there is an easy way to switch my daughter's Switch Primary / Secondary status without messing up their accounts. My younger daughter is linked to my account that I use to purchase games. Otherwise, we may just have to share the time for now, but since she just got the Pokemon game, I know she'll be busy with that game for a while.
yes, that's the other "surprise". its not just playing the same downloadable game at the same time, you can't play ANY 2 downloaded games at the same time (unless one is the primary on the system of purchase). AND playing Switch Online games likes NES/SNES games counts as a "downloaded game" even on the primary! I was booted from playing a NES game as the primary on the primary, when my wife started up Animal Crossing on the secondary switch...
Old 11-28-21, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,317 Likes on 4,318 Posts

Like I said, possible but very sub-optimal. Far less user friendly than Playstation or Xbox.
Old 11-28-21, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts

I mean Live and PS+ have only been around for going on 20 years now. Nintendo should be catching up any day now.
The following users liked this post:
Music (11-29-21)
Old 11-28-21, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I mean Live and PS+ have only been around for going on 20 years now. Nintendo should be catching up any day now.
Absolutely nothing to do with those paid services. This is only about owning two or more consoles and sharing digital rights between them. Something that should be just as easy to do for a Switch as for a PS4 or XO.
Old 11-28-21, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

D'oh, sarcastic jab gone to waste.
Old 11-28-21, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 971 Likes on 678 Posts

He's just saying Sony and MS have had their act together for like 4 generations now. And we're still dealing with the same 'ol Nintendo here in 2021. But we have cloud saves! Yippee! .....that's a paid service and not compatible with some of the most popular games...
Old 11-29-21, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I've heard this complaint before but IIRC, Sony (and maybe Microsoft as well) has the same thing with primary and secondary consoles and the number of people who can play concurrently. I think it's more of an issue here because more of us are likely to have several handhelds/switches in their homes playing at the same time.

Can you buy a game on PSN and play it on three consoles simultaneously? Or have three consoles play digital games at the same time on one account?
Old 11-29-21, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig

Can you buy a game on PSN and play it on three consoles simultaneously?
No. Of course not.
Or have three consoles play digital games at the same time on one account?
Of course you can. To have me and my son not be able to play different games we got from my PS Plus account on different Playstations at the same time would be very annoying.
Old 11-29-21, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
No. Of course not.

Of course you can. To have me and my son not be able to play different games we got from my PS Plus account on different Playstations at the same time would be very annoying.
Oh, you can share with more than two consoles at a time as long as the digital games were different? I was under the impression that you had to be logged into the primary account on all secondary consoles for PS?

Last edited by fujishig; 11-29-21 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-29-21, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

my problem is they that are trying to prevent people from different households from sharing content -- that makes perfect sense to me, but instead of trying to actually solve that problem, they make it so hard to use games within your own family -- which should be allowed. I wish they would focus on cracking down on non-family sharing, and let same household sharing be less controlled. I wish they would use the Family plan of Switch-online to manage digital content across the switches. So if you're in a family that has Switch Online, you can use all digital purchases across registered Switches with no restrictions.
The following users liked this post:
Sonny Corinthos (11-29-21)
Old 11-29-21, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by redbill
my problem is they that are trying to prevent people from different households from sharing content -- that makes perfect sense to me, but instead of trying to actually solve that problem, they make it so hard to use games within your own family -- which should be allowed. I wish they would focus on cracking down on non-family sharing, and let same household sharing be less controlled. I wish they would use the Family plan of Switch-online to manage digital content across the switches. So if you're in a family that has Switch Online, you can use all digital purchases across registered Switches with no restrictions.
That would make sense, but again that is something that nobody else does (I could be wrong) and I wouldn't expect Nintendo to be the first. That family/online plans are kind of a joke anyway, and I am sure most people use it to share the online access with... let's just say, non household and family members, to keep costs down.
Old 11-29-21, 11:19 AM

Being a handheld system it makes more sense that a single household would have more than one Switch purchased. Things should be easier to share, not harder. Like having the same accounts on 2 or 3 Switches with the second and third requiring an online connection and not being able to play the same game on two systems at once. That would be reasonable. But what they have far exceeds that.
Let me give you my example which I feel is pretty typical : I bought one family Switch in 2018. A year or two later I got a Switch Lite for my son. It seems to me that it would be totally reasonable for me to continue to buy games on the main Switch and play them in the living room but allow my son to play those digital games, on his own account (under my Family Nintendo Online plan) on his Switch Lite with an internet connection. Any restrictions beyond that are excessive in my opinion. It's crazy that we can't do this, in my opinion.
And my daughter got her own Switch so she could play Animal Crossing. But she rarely buys anything and it's a shame she can't occasionally play any of my many digital games, on her own Switch under her own account, if she wants to.

Last edited by Decker; 11-29-21 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-15-21, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

Amazon has the OLED up now.

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-21-21, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow. It's still available. Are there currently any good trade in deals? Tempted to upgrade.
Old 12-22-21, 10:31 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Amazon has a trade-in and save button on the right. So you can check there if you want.
Old 12-22-21, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

$140 for a perfect switch. I guess I'll hold off on upgrading for now.
Old 12-24-21, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 821 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Ghoul Patrol are coming to Switch.https://youtu.be/eg1_IC0a2mg
This is on sale for $7.50 on the Nintendo eShop and the PlayStation store. I played a couple levels yesterday. I never played it back in the SNES days.
The following 2 users liked this post by lwhy?:
asianxcore (12-28-21), majorjoe23 (12-25-21)
Old 12-27-21, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lwhy?
This is on sale for $7.50 on the Nintendo eShop and the PlayStation store. I played a couple levels yesterday. I never played it back in the SNES days.
I just couldn't get back into it, and my kids had zero attachment. Doesn't help that the port is pretty bare bones and the "sequel" isn't as good as the original.
Old 12-28-21, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 362 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
Picked it up as well! Good price for those two games.
Old 01-15-22, 11:01 AM

Received 812 Likes on 528 Posts

My Skyward Sword branded joy cons are starting to drift.
Old 01-15-22, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That fucking sucks, especially for how damn expensive they are.
Old 01-15-22, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

To my knowledge they have done very little if anything to address the drifting issue on the hardware side. Which is ridiculous.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.