Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 11-07-21, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 222 Likes on 169 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Since Nintendo likes to reuse the same architecture ó DS/3DS, GameCube/Wii/Wii U ó I bet their next device will look and function a whole lot like a Switch (and probably be backwards compatible too).
Sadly, I think you are right. I know it would never happen, but I wish Nintendo would go balls to the wall and put out a console equal or better than Sony or Microsoft's gaming systems. But they won't, I have accepted this years ago.
Old 11-07-21, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 925 Likes on 656 Posts

Yeah, that realization hit after the success of the Wii. Intentionally release an underpowered and cheap to produce console that goes on to rake in billions. They use all that revenue to produce... the WiiU?
Old 11-07-21, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Sadly, I think you are right. I know it would never happen, but I wish Nintendo would go balls to the wall and put out a console equal or better than Sony or Microsoft's gaming systems. But they won't, I have accepted this years ago.
You basically said it, and you're exactly right. That's what Nintendo does...they rely on their brand name and that's that...
Old 11-07-21, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Before the Switch, 4 of Nintendoís top 5 selling platforms were handhelds. As much of a phenomenon as the Wii was, itís still a distant third behind the DS and Game Boy. The Wii is their only dedicated console to have outsold the NES; aside from the Wii, every dedicated console Nintendo has released has sold worse than the one before it. (NES > SNES > N64 > GameCube > Wii U).

Nintendo is better off running their own race rather than going to the staggering expense of competing head-on with Sony and Microsoft, which history shows is doomed for failure.

A dual-purpose device like the Switch plays to their handheld-first strengths, it doesnít divide their dev teamsí focus (Nintendo only really seems to be able to meaningfully support one device at a time), and sales would certainly seem to suggest this is a winning strategy.

My Switch is docked 99% of the time. I greatly prefer power over portability, and the tech behind the Switch is looking awfully long in the tooth. But I get why Nintendo is going down this path, and I canít say I blame them. For that, anyway; I do think theyíre being awfully greedy when it comes to pricing anymore, and itís been a while since they put out a game Iíve been really excited about.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adam Tyner:
Jay G. (11-07-21), tanman (11-09-21)
Old 11-07-21, 06:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Another big aspect is they aren’t looking to create high-end resolution types of games. They’ve firmly stayed in the 1080p realm, and that’s worked very well so far. Although I did wonder why they opted to release an OLED version of the Switch. It’s not an overall improvement from the original release. Plus, I don’t think any of the games are mastered in 4K.
Old 11-07-21, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 925 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Another big aspect is they arenít looking to create high-end resolution types of games.
Which limits what third parties can produce.
Old 11-07-21, 09:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Hasn’t hurt them in 30 years.
Old 11-07-21, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Which limits what third parties can produce.
Sure, but if playing third-party games on high-end hardware is a priority, itís not as if anyone is at a loss for options.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (11-09-21)
Old 11-07-21, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Hasnít it become a thing with many gamers to own both the current Nintendo system and then one of the other brands too? Like their hardcore gaming on the Xbox or PlayStation and then something for Mario and Zelda.

Or like us and have all 3 (plus a pc for gaming).
The following users liked this post:
steebo777 (11-11-21)
Old 11-08-21, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Yeah, to me besides exclusives Xbox and PS5 are pretty much the same. Yeah you won't get, like the same version of Madden or COD on the Switch (well, I guess they can with cloud but still downgraded), but the switch would be my third option for those games anyway (especially with the nintendo software prices barely budging compared to other consoles). They do get all the indy/2d titles they can handle which usually run fine. And Nintendo themselves don't have to break the bank trying to develop their own titles.

If they did some voodoo to make the docked version of the Switch 2 run in a more superpowered mode AND made it easy for devs to use, I'd be ecstatic but the status quo is fine to me for now.
Old 11-08-21, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,397 Likes on 4,379 Posts

Heads up on BF deals for first-party games

Also there will be a Switch bundle with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and 3 months of Nintendo Online for free
https://www.nintendo.com/holiday/#deals
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Adam Tyner (11-08-21), steebo777 (11-11-21)
Old 11-08-21, 10:56 AM
Political Exile

Received 485 Likes on 320 Posts

brickseek shows the OLED Switch popping up at various Targets, so hopefully I'll be able to track one down for myself before the holidays as a gift to myself.
Old 11-08-21, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is the OLED really that big of a draw on a small screen like that?
Old 11-08-21, 01:52 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I haven't bought one at this point, so I might as well pick it up. But I'm someone who bought a DSi and a Gameboy Micro, both ended up hardly used, so I'm not one to make rational decisions.
Old 11-08-21, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
The first device I ever had with an OLED screen was a smartphone with a 4", 480x800 screen, and it made a difference. The Switch OLED is the same 720p resolution as the regular screen, but the image is going to look more colorful and vibrant.

https://www.imore.com/nintendo-switc...ide-comparison
The Switch OLED has the same resolution capabilities as previous Switch hybrids: up to 1080p when docked and up to 720p in handheld mode. However, anyone who holds a Switch OLED in their hands and compares it to an original Switch or the Switch V2 will notice a strong difference.

The screen has a far smaller bezel, which does a lot toward making the image that appears look a whole lot bigger. Additionally, the OLED display shows colors off so much more vibrantly with deeper blacks and brighter hues of every gradient, not to mention that lines around characters, words, and objects come through a whole lot sharper than they do on previous Switch displays. I did my best to get a picture of the difference, but images really don't do justice to what it looks like in person.
Comparison pic, regular switch on top, OLED on bottom:

The following 3 users liked this post by Jay G.:
lopper (11-08-21), milo bloom (11-08-21), steebo777 (11-11-21)
Old 11-08-21, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by PerryD
brickseek shows the OLED Switch popping up at various Targets, so hopefully I'll be able to track one down for myself before the holidays as a gift to myself.
Iím not sure if you subscribe to Walmartís Prime equivalent, butÖ!

Old 11-08-21, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The first device I ever had with an OLED screen was a smartphone with a 4", 480x800 screen, and it made a difference. The Switch OLED is the same 720p resolution as the regular screen, but the image is going to look more colorful and vibrant.

https://www.imore.com/nintendo-switc...ide-comparison

Comparison pic, regular switch on top, OLED on bottom:
Wow, that's actually an impressive upgrade. My wife usually has our main unit and I use my Lite and most times she's on one of the TVs (we bought an extra dock).
But if you're traveling a lot that would make the experience better.
Old 11-09-21, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
It's a good thing Business Insider has their finger on the pulse of such exclusive information
What do you mean? You don't value this groundbreaking investigative journalism?

What we know for sure, however, is that Nintendo plans to launch its next game console with the same "integrated hardware-software" approach it has taken in the past. What that means for you is that Nintendo is going to keep making game consoles (hardware), the operating system that powers them (software), and some of the best games for that console (software).
Old 11-09-21, 09:15 AM
Political Exile

I have browser tabs open for Walmart and Target, and Walmart showed stock this morning when I got into work, but clicking the "add to cart" button gives me a "Please try again in a moment" pop-up, so it looks like I'm out of luck.
Old 11-09-21, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have browser tabs open for Walmart and Target, and Walmart showed stock this morning when I got into work, but clicking the "add to cart" button gives me a "Please try again in a moment" pop-up, so it looks like I'm out of luck.
I thought you had to have Walmart + or whatever that paid shipping sub is to get in on the Walmart queues?
Best Buy is doing the same thing with their new program as well.
Old 11-09-21, 09:26 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by fujishig
I thought you had to have Walmart + or whatever that paid shipping sub is to get in on the Walmart queues?
Best Buy is doing the same thing with their new program as well.
The Walmart+ thing was a 15 minute exclusive window after which it was shown out of stock. This morning it is showing in stock, but I'm not able to add it. It's not a big deal, it looks like supply is catching up to demand, but it's hard to say with the holiday shopping coming up in full swing soon.
Old 11-09-21, 02:43 PM
Political Exile

Best Buy has Nintendo Gift cards at 10% off today. I picked up a $99 card to add to my account.
Old 11-09-21, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,397 Likes on 4,379 Posts

Best Buy has Nintendo Gift cards at 10% off today. I picked up a $99 card to add to my account.
Nice deal. I might get one just to make sure I keep Elite status. Of course they're always that price for Costco members.
Old 11-09-21, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
Nice deal. I might get one just to make sure I keep Elite status. Of course they're always that price for Costco members.
I believe it's a sale on Xbox points as well. Which are also available at Costco. But Playstation points aren't and aren't in this sale either, so has Sony just been cracking down on them?
Old 11-09-21, 05:13 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah, I bought it at Best Buy with the Target card since Target is giving 1% cash back plus $25 if you spend $500 outside of Target, plus the purchase goes towards Elite status. A lot of things to juggle right now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.