Reload this Page >

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 10-05-21, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

I'm between games right now so I've been debating picking up Deathloop, Kena or Life is Strange and forgot all about Metroid... which may win out and get my money.
Old 10-05-21, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm between games right now so I've been debating picking up Deathloop, Kena or Life is Strange and forgot all about Metroid... which may win out and get my money.
Deathloop is very cool. I haven't been able to invest much time in it yet but my son has played a ton of it and really enjoys it.
Life is Strange True Colors is nice, but maybe overpriced for the amount of content and limited replay ability. I would wait for a sale on that one (or watch a YouTube play through as it wouldn't be much different ).
The following users liked this post:
Michael Corvin (10-06-21)
Old 10-06-21, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

Just got shipping confirmation from Target on the OLED.
Old 10-07-21, 03:23 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

taken from another forum... Switch trade-in value at Gamestop is $260 if you're a Pro member.
Seriously tempted to do this and wait on getting a Switch OLED once they're in stock again. Just need to figure out how to back up all my Switch data to a SD card, since I don't have a Nintendo subscription anymore.

edit: Switch Lite would obviously get much less credit.
John Pannozzi (10-10-21)
Old 10-08-21, 03:36 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I lucked out and got in on the OLED at Amazon. It arrives Monday. Resubbed to Nintendo Online and backed everything up that way then brought my old Switch in and got $260, on top of the $325 I got for my One X. Not bad at all...
John Pannozzi (10-10-21)
Old 10-08-21, 03:47 PM

You can't back up Animal Crossing, right?
Old 10-08-21, 03:55 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
You can't back up Animal Crossing, right?
It's a bit complicated if you don't have both consoles in your hands at the same time.
You have to:
- have Nintendo Online
- enable the "backup island" feature. Take note of who owns the island (if you have multiple family users, for example)! I did the backup of AC on my kid's account for this reason.
- turn off the game (it won't backup while you're playing) and wait... wait. wait...
- turn the game on again and check if it shows a date/time for the last backup. If so, you're good.
- do all the stuff you'd normally do to wipe the old one
The on the new one, later:
- install the game
- On first time running it, launch as the island owner, and hold - during the black loading screen
- It'll ask you if you want it to find a backup.
- IT WILL FAIL
- call/chat with Nintendo and give them the SN of your Switch and account info
- they'll enable the island backup for that account on that switch.

I have yet to do ANY of the second half... so we'll see how that goes!

Old 10-08-21, 05:43 PM

Oh, is that all?
Old 10-08-21, 05:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Methinks Dan might have done this…
Old 10-08-21, 06:40 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Nintendo discusses the development of the Nintendo Switch - OLED Model:

Ask the Developer Vol. 2, Nintendo Switch – OLED Model–Part 1
Old 10-08-21, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

In part 3 of that interview they talk about the joycons. I don't think they can admit there's a problem with them for legal reasons, even though they have a replacement program (not everywhere) but they do say they have been continually improving them:
Another major characteristic of Nintendo Switch is the Joy-Con controllers. A big part of the user experience comes from the Joy-Con, but were there any improvements?

Yamashita: Joy-Con controllers have lots of different features, so we’ve been continuing to make improvements that may not always be visible. Among others, the analog-stick parts have continuously been improved since launch, and we are still working on improvements.

The analog stick at first release cleared the Nintendo reliability test using the method of rotating the stick while continually applying a load to it, with the same criteria as the Wii U GamePad’s analog stick.

As we have always been trying to improve it as well, we have investigated the Joy-Con controllers used by the customers and repeatedly improved the wear resistance and durability.

The parts of the Joy-Con analog sticks are not something that can be bought off the shelf but are specially designed, so we have undergone a lot of considerations to improve them. In addition, we improved the reliability test itself, and we have continued to make changes to improve durability and clear this new test.

When the effects of our improvements were confirmed, we promptly incorporated them into the Joy-Con controllers that are included with the console, Nintendo Switch Lite, and the ones sold individually, that were manufactured at that time. This involves the internal components of the Joy-Con, so you can’t tell the improvements from the outside, but we use the new versions of the parts when we repair them. Also, similar continual improvements have been made for the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller as well.

Do you mean that, basically, wear is unavoidable as long as the parts are physically in contact?

Shiota: Yes, for example car tires wear out as the car moves, as they are in constant friction with the ground to rotate. So with that same premise, we asked ourselves how we can improve durability, and not only that, but how can both operability and durability coexist? It’s something we are continuously tackling.

Yamashita: The degree of wear depends on factors like the combination of the materials and forms, so we continue to make improvements by researching which combinations are less likely to wear. We mentioned that the Joy-Con controller specifications hadn’t changed in the sense that we didn’t add new features such as new buttons, but the analog sticks in the Joy-Con controllers included with Nintendo Switch – OLED Model are the latest version with all the improvements. Needless to say, so are the analog sticks included in Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch Lite, separately sold Joy-Con controllers, and the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller that are currently being shipped.
Old 10-11-21, 08:02 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit
Methinks Dan might have done this…
Not until today!

But it was mostly a breeze.
When you chat with Nintendo, they'll give you a big warning about how they can't remotely enable island backup on the old system and there's no guarantee that you can get your data back, etc, etc. But once you give them the Island owner's account name/email, they take a few seconds to get it enabled. Then you re-check for the online island, download it, and log back into your accounts. You have to re-assign your Island accounts with your Nintendo accounts (ie: my wife's character and account, and my kid's character and account), start the game to make sure everything's good to go, and that's it.

Easy stuff, honestly.

BTW...
Spoiler:
OLED

Old 10-12-21, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

My OLED is arriving today and I have a question about system transfer.

I see a note that the new system has to have enough free space on it but I use a 512 SD card which has more on it than the internal storage can handle. Do I have to delete games until everything can fit on internal or does the transfer just move the User/System/Save data; then re-download the games through the store?
Old 10-15-21, 02:30 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 10-15-21, 03:25 PM

$50/yr instead of $20? For N64 and Sega Genesis games?
Old 10-15-21, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Oof yeah hard pass. If they start including free actual Switch games every month I'd consider it.
Old 10-15-21, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
$50/yr instead of $20? For N64 and Sega Genesis games?
Yeah, Nintendo has lost it's ever lovin' mind! That's crap!
Old 10-15-21, 04:04 PM

And $80 if both you and your kid want the service!
Old 10-15-21, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Eh, might be worth it if they start including more DLC. The Animal Crossing DLC is going to be $24.99 itself, but sounds like it would be included here. But year on year, they'd have to add similar things to keep that value.
Old 10-15-21, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Eh, might be worth it if they start including more DLC. The Animal Crossing DLC is going to be $24.99 itself, but sounds like it would be included here. But year on year, they'd have to add similar things to keep that value.
That DLC is only good for as long as you're subscribed, though, so it's just another rental as opposed to owning for 24.99. It's a deal if you have like a bunch of people on the family plan and don't want to shell for the DLC, I guess. They could have easily just included other DLC like the Octopath expansion for Splatoon 2 and the Zelda stuff, but nope.
Old 10-15-21, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
That DLC is only good for as long as you're subscribed, though, so it's just another rental as opposed to owning for 24.99. It's a deal if you have like a bunch of people on the family plan and don't want to shell for the DLC, I guess. They could have easily just included other DLC like the Octopath expansion for Splatoon 2 and the Zelda stuff, but nope.
I know, that's why I said year on year they would need to add similar things.
Old 10-15-21, 07:26 PM

I pay $35/yr for me, my daughter and my son to go online, back up game saves and play NES and SNES games.
Nintendo wants me to pay an additional $45/year so we can access a few N64 games, some Sega Genesis games I just purchased on PSN yesterday for $8.99 (to own forever) and access to a $25 DLC package for a game I haven't played in a year - - one that will try to make me feel really guilty about neglecting it for so long. It's beyond comprehension.
Old 10-15-21, 07:26 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Ugh, that's pretty terrible.
Zero reason for that Animal Crossing shit to be in there.
I was looking forward to see what they'd add in terms of N64 and Genesis games, but this pricing means there's no way I'd pay for it on my just-renewed family plan.

To be fair, I've heard that the emulation on that $8.99 PSN bundle is pretty bad for a bunch of those games. Doubtful that Nintendo's emulation would actually be better though.
Old 10-15-21, 07:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I’m happy to just pay for the Animal Crossing DLC and be done with it. Screw those unrealistic prices.
Old 10-15-21, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

Wow. I had almost a complete opposite reaction about the pricing. Like I said before I'm not thrilled about it being a subscription based charge instead of one time fee. BUT I am pretty happy that they are going to include more then just the N64 and Genesis games in that expansion pack. So it seems like Nintendo will have additional paid DLC be part of that increase in price and that's pretty good. But honestly the best thing about this whole thing is that it's entirely OPTIONAL. Which I'm thrilled about. They could have easily increased the price of Nintendo Online for everybody and compensated with these add ons. Instead you can continue to pay the exact same reasonable price for Nintendo Online and lose nothing. So kudos to Nintendo for making it a tiered price increase. Also I'm happy that they made the Animal Crossing paid DLC available both as the expansion pack AND as a separate one time fee. I'm glad they didn't force you into upgrading to the expansion pack. So honestly I'm pretty happy with the way they rolled it out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.