Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 08-20-20, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Luigi's Mansion is on sale for $42. Nintendo eShop sale

I missed out on Mario Tennis on sale a few weeks back. I'll probably bite on this one. Who knows how long it will be before Nintendo offers another sale.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (08-20-20)
Old 08-20-20, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
I get the feeling GatorDeb will not have the patience for time invest in AC.
So which post was it which showed my lack of patience? Was it the one where I tried it and while I like it feel no need to get it rightnow at full price? I already have Pokemon Go as a game which needs daily tasks. I have two kids and a full time job, I'm not looking to add another one. So I'll just play it solo. It'll be the same game now or a month from now without the social aspect.

Halfway through Picross S1. Been playing the Switch seven days.

There was a sale on two other Picross games, one by the same company which makes the S series. There's something about their puzzles which just works and I finish all their games in their entirety. One of the extra two games has a girly feel but once you ignore the background and flowers in the load screen it's the same Picross. Another 300 puzzles for less than five bucks. The other one is some weird anime rpg Picross mix. I'm skipping the story and just playing the puzzles which are solid. Over 500 puzzles for under seven bucks. The feel of the puzzles is exactly the same as the s series and one of them has mega Picross and the other has color and clip Picross. There's a lot of content. If each puzzle took me a minute average we're looking at over 40 hours, and the average is much higher than that. Once I finish the first s Picross I'll have an idea of the average.

So Mario Kart and ac will prob get pushed until there's sales. I did get civ vi for fifteen bucks. I had it free for the pc and I played it five minutes and I was just hooked. The music is sweeping, the graphics mesmerizing. I can't wait to play all 28 civilizations.

I AM getting Mario Kart from Gamefly so I'll play it until I get bored which may be after one play through on all 48 tracks. I own other versions on which I didn't even play all tracks once. I'm drawing from experience and trying to avoid all the game franchises I bought and never really played.

I want to go through the rpgs and see how I do with each title and see if it's something I want to buy. But after Mario Kart I'm getting BOTW because I hear you can grind to make the game a piece of cake so I want to see if I can progress in it. I have never beaten a Zelda game.
Old 08-20-20, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
So which post was it which showed my lack of patience? Was it the one where I tried it and while I like it feel no need to get it rightnow at full price? I already have Pokemon Go as a game which needs daily tasks. I have two kids and a full time job, I'm not looking to add another one. So I'll just play it solo. It'll be the same game now or a month from now without the social aspect.

Halfway through Picross S1. Been playing the Switch seven days.

There was a sale on two other Picross games, one by the same company which makes the S series. There's something about their puzzles which just works and I finish all their games in their entirety. One of the extra two games has a girly feel but once you ignore the background and flowers in the load screen it's the same Picross. Another 300 puzzles for less than five bucks. The other one is some weird anime rpg Picross mix. I'm skipping the story and just playing the puzzles which are solid. Over 500 puzzles for under seven bucks. The feel of the puzzles is exactly the same as the s series and one of them has mega Picross and the other has color and clip Picross. There's a lot of content. If each puzzle took me a minute average we're looking at over 40 hours, and the average is much higher than that. Once I finish the first s Picross I'll have an idea of the average.

So Mario Kart and ac will prob get pushed until there's sales. I did get civ vi for fifteen bucks. I had it free for the pc and I played it five minutes and I was just hooked. The music is sweeping, the graphics mesmerizing. I can't wait to play all 28 civilizations.

I AM getting Mario Kart from Gamefly so I'll play it until I get bored which may be after one play through on all 48 tracks. I own other versions on which I didn't even play all tracks once. I'm drawing from experience and trying to avoid all the game franchises I bought and never really played.

I want to go through the rpgs and see how I do with each title and see if it's something I want to buy. But after Mario Kart I'm getting BOTW because I hear you can grind to make the game a piece of cake so I want to see if I can progress in it. I have never beaten a Zelda game.
I don't know who told you that about BOTW but it's like the opposite of a game you can grind. The only thing you can really do is get more hearts/stamina but otherwise you have breakable weapons and your other stats don't really increase at all. You do get better over time, though. But it's not like a JRPG where you can just grind levels.
The following users liked this post:
DeFan (08-20-20)
Old 08-20-20, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't know who told you that about BOTW but it's like the opposite of a game you can grind. The only thing you can really do is get more hearts/stamina but otherwise you have breakable weapons and your other stats don't really increase at all. You do get better over time, though. But it's not like a JRPG where you can just grind levels.
There was a reddit thread with like 50 people agreeing.[link]
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/cf5hvi/is_breath_of_the_wild_difficult/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share[/link]
Old 08-20-20, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Nah, it's just a general gut feel from what have been liking and not liking so far. It's a really slow going game and a big time sucker (more like a sim). I could very well be totally wrong, you may love it (hope you do), most people do.
Old 08-20-20, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
Nah, it's just a general gut feel from what have been liking and not liking so far. It's a really slow going game and a big time sucker (more like a sim). I could very well be totally wrong, you may love it (hope you do), most people do.
I've bought two versions and never really played just because of lack of time. So I'm trying to limit my purchases so that I finish games before bringing more in.
Old 08-20-20, 07:38 PM

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, that's the problem I had with Zelda. It's absolutely gorgeous but I felt like I was getting nowhere. With Animal Crossing there is nowhere to get so I'm just improving my island at my own pace. It is a time suck, very welcome these days.
Old 08-20-20, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Originally Posted by DeFan
Yeah, that's the problem I had with Zelda. It's absolutely gorgeous but I felt like I was getting nowhere. With Animal Crossing there is nowhere to get so I'm just improving my island at my own pace. It is a time suck, very welcome these days.
100% this. Zelda was frustrating AF and Animal Crossing is just a joy to tackle at my own pace
Old 08-20-20, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Originally Posted by DeFan
Originally Posted by Decker
100% this. Zelda was frustrating AF and Animal Crossing is just a joy to tackle at my own pace
And yet both have the tools breaking mechanic. Argh!
Old 08-20-20, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is one of the puzzles from that weird Picross rpg. It has over 500 puzzles. This may take a while.
Old 08-20-20, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 953 Likes on 661 Posts

This is what I'm worried about. I have had BotW for a little over a year now but haven't gotten into it because it seems daunting. And a lot less linear than previous Zelda games. That's why I don't RPG anymore because if I put it down and not play it for any length of time I'll forget where I was going or what I was supposed to do next.

Link's Awakening was great. That might be a good rental for you Deb since it's somewhat short. Same with Luigi's Mansion. Both are awesome games but could also be beat once and returned.
Old 08-22-20, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 391 Likes on 294 Posts

What’s AF?
Old 08-22-20, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
What’s AF?
A swear ("as f**k").
Old 08-22-20, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

The first part of BotW is a little daunting, after that it's actually a fairly simple game - you can finish it with a good chunk of the world unexplored and still have an incredibly satisfying gaming experience. I just missed having longer dungeons.

Which is kind of funny, I normally hate open world.
Old 08-22-20, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

I beat BOTW the other day for the first time, and now I feel a little sad. I haven’t committed to another game to start yet, I’m just letting it all linger in my mind.
Old 08-22-20, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Got Zumba yesterday, popped it in, picked a song at random, the on-screen person started doing Zumba gymnastics, I said hell no, and turned it off May have picked an extreme one. Will try again tomorrow with a beginner one. One thing is for sure, you will burn calories. Hell, you could even ignore the game and not use the joystick and just do the dances.

I mistakingly sent Ring Fit to mom's house so I won't have it til Sunday. I hear boxing can build muscles so I may add Fitness Boxing three times a week.

So far all I've really used the system for is sit down on my behind and play So much for a fitness console.

I'm a little under 90% done on Picross S1. Tomorrow is day 10 and I get to find out how many hours I've put in it. Now when I get a game or buy a digital version I make sure I "play" it so that I get the 10 day timer started.

So I putzed around with Civ VI... it gives you a random civilization and doesn't let you pick one?!?!

Edit: Guess it was a good thing Ring Fit didn't get to me yesterday. This morning I get an email from Amazon with a price of $69.88... saved about $11 including tax! I'll just take the other one in to Best Buy to return it.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 08-22-20 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-22-20, 02:17 PM

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Luigi's Mansion is on sale for $42. Nintendo eShop sale

I missed out on Mario Tennis on sale a few weeks back. I'll probably bite on this one. Who knows how long it will be before Nintendo offers another sale.
Thanks for the heads up. Got Luigi's Mansion and Jedi Academy for $10 from Amazon
Old 08-23-20, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished my first game, Picross S. Within a day I will have the time spent playing according to the Switch but I just found out it's by increments of five hours which is worthless. I downloaded the parent app but I had already played a bit when I got it. I got the app six days after I got the Switch. I don't think I played 25 hours (who knows, I may be surprised) but 20 is a possibility, so in another day I will have that info. But going forward I have the info from the phone app.

$6.39 Picross S1. 15.5 hours. 42 cents an hour. The equivalent of over 142 hours for a full-price game. I have 5 more other Picross games to play. Average of 3:06 minutes a puzzle. If all the games give me the same average we're talking almost 119 hours of Picross. This may take a while. Already started on Picross S2. I get Mario Kart today, excited about that. Average of 4 days for a game turnaround from sending to receiving with Gamefly, but that will be irrelevant once my free month ends and I go up to two at a time.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 08-23-20 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-23-20, 06:33 PM

So I just tried Ring Fit Adventure. It is surprisingly solid. I just did the first work out. It was fun and well designed. And it got me so sweaty that I had to shower and change. Not at all boring like a Wii Fit, this is amazingly kind of like playing a video game. Doing exercises to battle enemies is kind of genius.

Agree that the leg strap slips a lot, but I eventually cinched it tight enough to stay up.
Old 08-23-20, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 550 Likes on 402 Posts

I found putting the strap over my shorts helps keep it from slipping instead of having it against my skin.
Old 08-24-20, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I was wrong and I am more addicted than I thought and I played Picross S1 "more than 25 hours" so we will call it 25. At $6.39 that's 26 cents an hour or an equivalent of 230 hours for a $60 game. I love doing calculations like that. I needed 3 "movie equivalent" hours to match the entertainment value of a $4 movie and I got that and more.

I was wrong about Picross S2, they added a mode with over 100 puzzles so it will take a lot more than 1 to finish.

My husband was joking that I paid $300 for a machine that plays Picross. I have been playing Picross for decades. I have yet to find a phone Picross app that works. The 3DS had 7 eshop Picross packs and I finished them all. With the no assist flag on all of them (with the easy ones I make it harder on myself and don't cross out the squares that can't have a marker). Jupiter makes Picross boards that just work. That's why I was hyped that Jupiter also made one of the other Picross ones, and the remaining one still has the same feel. So yes I paid $300 for over 100 hours of a game I love. Someone mentioned the 3DS had the stylus but I HATE the stylus, I prefer button smashing.
Old 08-24-20, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 953 Likes on 661 Posts

I find it amusing you calculate out your hours of entertainment for your dollar. I think I'm going to get way more of a bargain than that with Animal Crossing. I'm sure I'll put in hundreds of hours into it.
Old 08-25-20, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm so close to using the limit time playing feature of the parent app on myself

Old 08-25-20, 10:20 AM

My son did Ring Fit Adventure for PE yesterday. The joys of distance learning. 😉
Old 08-25-20, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 447 Posts

There's rumors of a new Switch in the works, to be released in 2021:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/...r-2021-launch/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.